This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
meal. Soups are tasty and nutritious. They can be served alone or accompanied by croutons, buttered toasts, dinner rolls or plain bread triangles and crackers. There are different types of soups: a) Clear soups made from thin stocks. b) Creamed soups-made from basic stocks and thickened with milk, flour or starch, with other ingredients added. c) Pureed soups-thickened by puree of ingredients, usually by first boiling them, then blending them and filtering the mixture to gain the thickened mixture. In preparing soups, follow these suggestions; 1. Use acceptable stock from meats or fish. Dehydrate stocks such as chicken seasoning cubes, maggi cubes and dadawa cubes can be used as alternatives. One maggi or chicken seasoning cube added to 250m1 of water equals 250rnl of beef or chicken stock. 2. All food items such as meats and vegetables added must be in bite sizes. 3. Excessive heat can cause cream soups to curdle, therefore use moderate heat. 4. Avoid excessive use of spices and seasoning. Sauces are forms of liquid or semi-liquid soup preparations that are served with another food item. They are used to assist in presenting the food item and to complete the use of that food. Unlike soups, sauces cannot be served alone. Sauces can be used a) As background for food items e.g. tomato sauce, b) As a binding agent to hold foods together (e.g mayonnaise) c) As a topping on another food (e.g. custard sauce for cake and puddings and ketchup for meats). Sauces need: a) Stock, as the basic ingredient; b) Seasonings to provide the major taste c) Colour agent which must come from the stock and d) The thickening agent which may be eggs, flour or starch egg yolks provide good colour as well. In preparation of sauces, the fat is first melted, the flour is stirred into it, then the stock is poured into it and the mixture is cooked (simmered) In some gravies and sauces ,the starch or flour is first mixed with cold water before putting the fat and other ingredients. It is important not to overcook the flour fat mixture, but allow enough time for even distribution. MINCED BEEF SOUP 300 grams minced beef 1 litre of water 2 medium of tomatoes (chopped) 2 stalks celery (sliced) 1 tsp pepper (ground) ½ tsp thyme 3 carrots (diced) ¼ of small head cabbage (cutup) 2 large potatoes (diced) 1 medium onion (sliced) salt to taste 1 seasoning cube
Method 1. Clean and prepare all the vegetables as indicated. 2. Put the minced beef in a sauce pan and cook for about 10 minutes. Add water and salt to taste. 3. Boil for 5 more minutes. 4. Add the remaining ingredients except tomatoes and cook for another 15 minutes. 5. Add the tomatoes and simmer slowly for 10 minutes more. 6. Serve hot with crackers or toasted bread as appetizers. Serves 10. Note: Flake fish (cooked) can be used in place of minced beef and other flavorings can be added.
2 FRENCH ONION SOUP (APPETIZER) 60g margarine ¼ tsp curry 40g onions, peeled and thinly sliced ½ tsp thyme (3-4 medium Onions) Salt and white pepper to taste 3 tbsp flour ½ tsp sugar (optional) 1 liter beef stock 2 slices of bread (for toasting) Method 1. Melt the margarine in a large saucepan over a moderate heat. 2. Stir in the onions and add the sugar. Cook uncovered, stirring constantly till the onions are light brown. 3. Sprinkle flour over the onions and cook for 2-3 minutes. 4. Pour on the stock and stir to blend the flour. 5. Add the remaining ingredients and cook over low heat. Simmer the sauce with pot covered for about 1015 minutes. 6. Cut the bread slices into cubes and toast in preheated oven or grill to make croutons. 7. Spoon the soup into soup bowls and top with the toasted bread serve hot. FRESH PRAWN SOUP (APPETIZER) 45g/3tbsp margarine 1 onion, finely chopped 1 sweet red pepper (seeded and chopped) 2 sticks celery-finely chopped 1 seasoning cube 2 garlic clove, grated Salt and pepper to taste 1.5 litre fish stock ½ tsp thyme ½ tsp crushed bay leaf 225g raw peeled prawns and boiled 3 tbsp flour 2 spring onions chopped
Method 1. Melt the margarine and add the onion, pepper, celery, green onion and garlic. Cook gently to soften. 2. Stir in the flour and cook over gentle heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. 3. Pour in the stock gradually, stirring well. 4. Add the thyme, bay leaf and any other remaining ingredient. Add the prawns and cook for about 2 minutes. 5. Reduce heat and allow to simmer for about 5 minutes until thickened. Remove from heat and remove the bay leaf. 6. Top with chopped green onions before serving in soup bowls. Serve with buttered toasts. PRAWN/SHRIMPS COCKTAIL 1 cup (400g) cooked prawns / shrimps 3 stalks celery, diced 4-5 tbsp mayonnaise ¼ tsp salt lettuce leaves ½ chopped green pepper 2tbsp ketchup 1 tbsp lemon juice
METHOD 1. Put the cooked prawns on a board and cut in to pieces. Place the prawn chunks in a mixing bowl, add the mayonnaise, celery, green pepper, salt and lemon juice. Mix with a fork. 2. Toss together and serve salad on lettuce leaves placed in cocktail glasses or salad bowls. Drop ketchup over top to garnish the salad. Chill before serving as appetizer LIVER/KIDNEY SOUP 250g kidney 200g liver 1 bay leaf 2 tbsp margarine
3 2 large potatoes 1 litre of water 1 large onion 1 chicken seasoning cube 3 medium carrots salt and pepper to taste. Method 1. Prepare the first five ingredients by cleaning, washing and cutting them into cubes or dices. 2. Place them in a baking dish, then add salt, pepper and remaining ingredients. Cover the dish. 3. Place in the oven and bake for about 1 hour until the ingredients are tender. 4. Remove bay leaf and serve hot. Boiling method may be used. Makes 5-6 servings STEAK SOUP 400 grams steak, cooked and cut 1 small onion, finely chopped 2 tsp. parsley leaves, finely chopped ½ tsp. thyme 200g peas 1 Chicken seasoning cube ¼ tbsp margarine
½ teaps. nutmeg 1 litre boiling water 2 tbsp flour 2sliced celery stalks Pepper and salt taste 1 bay leaf
Method 1. Placed steak chunks in a large pot with onion, herbs and seasonings. 2. Pour water or stock over them and add cook for 15 minutes. 3. Melt margarine in a saucepan and add flour and a little liquid from meat to the fat and stir until smooth. 4. Add the flour-fat mixture to the soup, stirring constantly until slightly thickened. Stir in the peas. Simmer for 5minutes. 5. Serve into soup plates and garnish with tomato slices. Serves as appetizer for 4-6 guests. STEAK/CHICKEN SOUP 250g cooked beef/chicken (deboned) 4 potatoes 2 carrots ½ tsp curry 1 bay leaf 500m1 water/stock 1 litre margarine/oil salt and pepper to taste 1 medium onion 1 seasoning cube
Method 1. Cut the beef/chicken into 72-inch cubes or cutlets 2. Cut the onions, carrots and potatoes into ½ inch cubes. 3. Place all the ingredients in a saucepan and add the water. 4. Season the entire mixtures with the salt and pepper. 5. Cook mixture for about 30-40minutes till meat and vegetables are tender. 6. Remove the bay leaf and stir gently to thicken the sauce. Serve hot as appetizer. BROWN ONION SOUP I large onion (sliced) 1 ½ tbsp. flour 2 tbsp margarine 1 litre of beef stock 500g cooked beef cubes
1 tsp. fresh garlic (minced) pinch of curry salt and white pepper to taste 1 seasoning cube
Method 1. Melt half of the fat over low heat and fry onion slices until light brown. Remove onion and set aside. 2. Melt the remaining margarine and add the flour.
cooked and deboned 750 fish stock 1 large onion. Separate the deboned fish into chunks of about 1 inch sizes. CREAM OF TOMATO SOUP 1 table spoon dry milk 1 tbsp salt 1 can tomato juice ½ tsp pepper 1 ½ tbsp margarine 1 tsp soy sauce 1 ½ tbsp flour 500m1 beef stock ½ seasoning cube. Garnish with chopped parsley or cucumber dices.in 1 inch cubes 1 bay leaf. Method 1. Melt the margarine or heat vegetable oil.6 servings. garlic and any other seasoning. Gradually add beef stock. Simmer for 5 minutes and serve hot with toasted bread triangles. Put flour and margarine in a saucepan and mix together. tomato juice. and stir in the thyme and curry. Makes 5. Serve hot with buttered yeast rolls or bread slices. Stir together milk and flour. 4. salt. Cook for 10 minutes and serve hot with toasted bread as appetizer. 2. Add the beef cubes. fat and stock in a saucepan. 3. and allow soup to simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in onion and the flour. Serves 6-8. chopped onion 1 litre chicken stock salt and pepper to taste.in 1 inch cubes 4 carrots. Stir frequently. carrots and bay leaf. chopped 1 bay leaf 1 tsp chopped garlic grated cheese 1 stalk celery (chopped) salt to taste . 2. 3.6 servings. Remove from heat and serve into soup bowls accompanied with buttered toasts. 1 tbsp flour. Cook and stir the mixture until thick and well blended.4 3. 4. Add the salt. Make . MIXED VEGETABLE SOUP (APPETIZER) 1 large onion. Add the potatoes. pinch thyme and curry Method 1. pepper. Stir in the fried onion slices. CREAMY FISH SOUP 1 medium scale fish. 4. pepper soy sauce and seasoning cube. Salt and pepper 1 50m1 milk (diluted) 100g cooked peas Method 1. Stir in the cooked peas 4. chopped 2 lives beef stock 2 fresh tomatoes. Add the fish and the remaining ingredients. pepper . CHICKEN SOUP 2 tbsp margarine 500g cooked chicken in strips or chunks. Cook over medium heat. salt . Stir gently and cook for another 3 minutes. Stir in the fish stock and cover pot to allow potatoes be cooked about 10 minutes. 3. Add the cooked chicken and stock gradually while stirring. 5. 2. 2 tables.in 1 inch cubes 1 tbsp chopped parsley or celery 2 tbsp margarine or vegetable oil 4 potatoes.
Stir in the flour and cook over gently heat for 2-3 minutes. Simmer. Sprinkle with the minced parsley and the olive oil mixture over the vegetables. Top with the chopped green onions or cucumber as garnishing before serving in soup bowls. WHITE SAUCE (MILK GRAVY) 1 tbsp margarine 250m1 diluted milk 1 ¼ tbsp flour salt and white pepper to taste ½ tsp lemon juice/vinegar Method 1. Chill before serving. PARSLEY TOMATOES APPETIZER 5 medium tomatoes 3 tbsp olive oil 1 cucumber 3tbsp red wine vinegar 1 tbsp minced parsley ¼ tsp salt Method 1.5 250g kidney beans 250g peas/green beans 3 tsp white pepper 2 cups cabbage (chopped) Method 1. Simmer for 2 minutes. green onion and garlic. chicken or over plain boiled rice. 2. stirring occasionally. 5. vinegar and salt 3. mixing well. 2. celery. Add the prawns and cook for about 2 minutes. Pour in the stock gradually. pepper. 3. Melt the margarine and add the onion. Cook gently to soften. Wash and cut the ripe firm tomatoes in to 4 segments in each. YELLOW SAUCE 1 tbsp flour 4 tbsp melted margarine 1 tsp salt ½ tsp pepper 150m1 milk 2 eggs (beaten) 1 seasoning cube . Mix together the olive oil. 2. Combine all ingredients in a saucepan. bay leaf and any other remaining ingredients. 2. bringing up to a boil and stirring constantly for 3 minutes until thickened. CURRY SAUCE 500mI chicken or beef stock 2 tsp dried onion flakes 2 tbsp curry powder 1 ½ tsp margarine 200g peas (optional) 2 tsp grated ginger 2 tsp flour/corn flour salt to taste 1 chicken seasoning cube Method 1. Add milk and seasonings. 3. Remove bay leaf. Melt margarine and blend in flour. 4. Serve as sauce for shrimps and fish fingers or fish balls. Place cucumber slices in a flat dish and arrange the tomato segment in between the cucumber arrangement. stirring well. 6. stirring constantly until thickened. red wine. Slice cucumber thinly. Reduce heat and allow to simmer for about 15 minutes until thickened. Add the thyme. Serve with braised beef.
Clean vegetables. 3. white pepper and salt. Add the leeks. Add the puree tomato sauce and salt. Gradually and the rest of melted fat. Add seasonings until smooth. Serve 6-8 persons LEEKAND POTATO SOUP 30g margarine 2 large potatoes 4 medium sized leeks salt to taste 1 onion pepper to taste 1. Mix flour and melted margarine. mushrooms. Cook for 20 minutes. thyme and curry. Remove from heat and cool. . yam or potatoes. 2. celery. Gradually add egg mixture to flour mixture over low heat while stirring. Mix flour and half of the fat in a saucepan. 5. Simmer for 10 minutes and serve hot over boiled rice. Simmer for 5 minute 5. onion and stock. Serve over vegetable salads. pepper and diced tomatoes. Add the mustard. 2. Stir well. 3 Stir in beaten eggs. 3. 2. 4. 2.2 litres chicken stock ½ tsp nutmeg 1 stalk celery or parsley ½ tsp curry 1 fresh chili pepper 1seasoning cube 1 tbsp milk Method 1. 6. cover again and cook for about 2 minutes. 4. add potatoes. Clean and cut fish into bit size. SEA FOOD SOUP 300g large shrimps 300g oysters 300g clams 1 or 2 medium fresh pepper (chopped) 1 cooked fish (flaked) 1 can mushroom (sliced) 3 large tomato (cubed) 300g crab meat ½ tsp curry 1 medium onion ½ tsp thyme 1 tsp white pepper 1 can tomatoes puree/sauce 500m1 water 2 tbsp vegetable oil Method 1. Stir in the vinegar and cook for about 2 minutes. stirring constantly until smooth. oysters. crab). dice onion. clams. potatoes and chili pepper. Serve on fried fish or roasted chicken. 4. Place in a bowl and add onion. Beat eggs and milk. Cover pan and cook for 6 minutes till potatoes are cooked. Melt fat. 1-Teat the vegetable oil in a saucepan and pour in the water. Chop the celery and slice the white part of leeks. Additional water can be added if needed. Add the cleaned shell fish (shrimps. Add milk and bring to boil. Add the fish mixture. 3. stirring constantly.6 Method 1. COOKED SALAD CREAM 1 tsp dry mustard l50ml milk 3 tsp sugar 4 tbsp white vinegar pinch black/white pepper 3 tbsp melted margarine 1 tsp salt 1 tbsp flour 1 or 2 eggs Method 1. chilli pepper and seasonings.
2. Cut the fleshly parts into small slices. salt and flour. and pumpkin leaves are generously used in either fresh or dry forms. Although they do not make complete meals. Serve 6-8. 8. NIGERIAN SOUP AND SAUCES Nigeria soups. Make a batter with some of the broth. to thicken and to stabilize the soup products. vitamins and minerals. soyabean and melon-oil are the popular types of fats used in the preparation of the soups and sauces. onion. 6. The list includes assorted edible seeds such as melon. Serve hot with crackers as an appetizer. Most of the soups and sauces don’t need garnishing because of their colourful natures. 3. cocoyam. Mix together flour and vegetable oil and set aside. apon (agbono). 5. Simmer for 5 minutes. Apply heat and cook until beef is cooked (about 10 minutes). seasoning cube and add pepper to taste. Various types of local spices and condiments re usually added to soups to enhance flavour. When cooked. the . groundnuts. corn and celery are cooked. Simmer for 3 minutes to improve taste. 9. they are highly valued aspects of meals. Also. 3. waterleaf. stews and sauces are similar to continental types. various optional ingredients are use a to thicken the soup. 6. cotton as well as yam. 2. They may be light or thickened. SPAGHETTI SAUCE 400 ground beef 2 tbsp vegetable oil 1 small onion 2 fresh garlic grated ½ large grated ginger 2 large fresh tomatoes (cubed) 1 tbsp flour 300ml water 1 tsp sugar 1 tbsp vinegar 1 green pepper (chopped) 1 can tomato paste pepper and salt to taste 1 seasoning cube Method 1. Add diced onion. 4. 7. Put minced beef. rice or macaroni. turning the soup gently. discard the bones and return to the stock. Serve hot over plain boiled spaghetti. Gradually add water and vinegar to the flour mixture and stir into the ground beef mixture. 4. Most soups and sauces are normally composed of assorted variety of ingredients that are rich in proteins. 7. 5. remove the bones or debone the chicken Cuts. They are usually used a accompaniments or toppings to carbohydrate food forms. groundnut-oil. Thicken the soup with the flour mixture and cook till onion. Vegetables like bitter leaf. Thin soups such as pepper soups can be served alone as appetizers. garlic and ginger in a saucepan. CHICKEN CORN SOUP ¼ chicken cut-up 1 1/2 litre water 1 large onion 2 diced hard cooked eggs 1 cob fresh corn/1 can processed corn 1 celery stalk ¼ tsp curry ¼ tsp ½ tsp grated garlic and ginger 1 tbsp flour ½ tsp white pepper salt to taste Method 1. spinach. Stir in the corn and eggs. plantain. celery and spices. Wash and cook the chicken with the water to cover it in the pot for about 20 minutes. cornstarch and cassava starch pastes. Stir in the tomato paste. Remove from heat and stir in milk before serving as appetizer.7 4. Season with salt. Palm-oil. green pepper and chopped fresh tomatoes.
palm oil and cooked beef. BITTER LEAF SOUP 450g lean beef. Cover and leaves to boil for 5 minutes. 8. 4. Now place the melon seeds in a dry frying pan. washed and lemon grass leaves and lime leaf. Stir well and allow the soup to simmer for about 10 minutes more. Dissolve this mixture with a little liquid from meat stock and stir into the soup. pepper and locust bean. Wash and cut the meat into bit-sized chunks. BEEF OFFAL (PEPPER SOUP) 1 medium sized beef/kidney 1 small lime leaf (fresh) 250 tongue/ heart 4 lemon grass leaf 3 tbsp melon seeds (optional) salt to taste 300g cleaned tripe (shaki) 1 seasoning cube 250g liver 1 ½ litre water 1 tsp ground dried pepper Pinch tsp potash (optional) 2 seeds African nutmeg (crushed) 1 pod of enge or uda (seeds removed and crushed) Method 1. cooked I small stock fish 300g smoked fish 250g washed bitter leaf 1 wrap locust bean 4 tbsp ground crayfish 250m palm oil salt and pepper to taste 2 pieces cooked cocoyam/yam 500ml water/stock 1 seasoning tube Method 1. salt and potash. Stir in the bitter leaf and leave to simmer for 5 minutes for tastes to blend. Grind melon seeds and spices to a smooth paste. add to the boiling mixture and cover pot. Continue to cook. Note: Goat meat offals or cut-up hen can be used in place of beef offals. seasoning cube. 4. Add pepper. 5. Examples are ready to use pepper soup. 2. 3. Pound the thickener (cocoyam/yam) into 2 balls. Some of the soups and sauces are available in convenience forms. ground salt to taste 1 tsp ground locust bean ½ sachet seasoning mix . 6.8 abundance of meats. Lemon grass. The soup becomes thicker. WATER LEAF SOUP 600g beef (cut-up and cooked) 300m1 palm oil 1 ½ tsp ground pepper 4 fresh tomatoes (ground) 1 medium onion. Place over heat and toast the melon seeds until they are lightly browned. Serve hot in soup bowls as appetizer. Now add the crayfish. Simmer for about 5 minutes. They are available on supermarket shelves. melon and apon soup preparations. 2. 7. Remove from heat and serve hot with pounded yam balls. Season with salt to taste. The recipes presented are simple enough for anyone to prepare. 5. 3. fish and vegetables used. Add the beef stock. Prepare stockfish and smoked fish and boil till tender. 6. Combine the remaining water. Mix well. lime leaf and lemon may be left out to make thin soup while other local spices may be included if desired. Put in a pot with half of the water and ½ tsp salt and cook till tooth-done.
pepper and half of the onion. stirring occasionally to prevent burning.fish mixture. . Add all the ground ingredients except the melon. Add seasoning. Cover pot and cook for 2 minutes 7. 3.Combine cooked beef lumps. Stir well and add the beef broth salt and other seasoning.place vegetable at the top of the soup.Wash and grate okro.In another sauce pan. Wash the water leaf very well and chop into small bits. 7. Serve with pounded yam or amala balls. cleaned 2 tbsp ground crayfish Method 1. 4. Add the paste and keep cooking the sauce at medium heat till it is almost dehydrated and starts forming small lumps. Stir-inn beef and fry together for about 5 minutes. Add the sliced onion pieces and fry till lightly brown. 2.9 4 cups picked water leaf ½ cup ground melon 250m1 cup water dry fish.Stir in the tomato and pepper. Fry for two minutes and pour okro mixture into the boiling meat. 3. bee broth or water in a pot and heat at simmering temperature. 8. Pour vegetable oil in a sauce pot and beat the oil to slight smoking level. 5. BEEF AND FISH OKRO SOUP 250 Cooked beef. heat the oil to when it starts smoking and fry onion and grated okro in the oil for 5 minutes. Stir in the fish and continue cooking. Cook gently under low heat. 8.Add remaining ingredients except salt and vegetable. Simmer for 10 minutes stirring occasionally. 4. pepper and salt to the soup and simmer gently until cooked.Serve hot in large soup bowls to be eaten with pounded yam or garri balls. 3. .Clean and remove bones from dry fish and add to the boiling meat and liquid. Stir in the ground ingredients and allow the sauce to cook for about 5 minutes. unti1 taste is well blended. 2. 4. Cook uncovered over low heat for 2 minutes or till the soup is heated through. 6. BEEF/FRESH FISH TOMATO SAUCE (STEW) 400g Cooked beef ½ tsp thyme 1 (8z) tin tomato Paste 1 tsp curry 4 large tomatoes 1 beef seasoning cube 3 large flesh peppers 200ml beef broth/water 1 large Onion salt to taste. Stir well into the oil and meat: Add 1 cup of water and stir in the melon. 5. chop onion. 2. Wash and blend the tomatoes. Heat palm oil and fry the beef cutlets lightly. pepper and tomato and set aside. Boiled chicken in place of beef. Serves 6. Mix well. cut up ½ medium dried-fish 20 medium-sized fresh okro pods 2 large fresh pepper 1 ½ large fresh tomatoes (optional) 1 Seasoning cube 4 tbsp ground crayfish 250 palm oil 1 small onion 40ml of beef/broth water small bunch of pumpkin leaf Method 1. yam or plain boiled beans. 300m1 vegetable oil Method 1. Remove from heat and serve over hot boiled rice. 6. sprinkle with salt and mix gently but thoroughly.
Fry the chopped onion. 5. MIXED VEGETABLE SOUP 200g cooked beef and broth 1 medium dry fish 1 bunch of pumpkin leaf 1 bunch spinach greens 2 bunches water leaf 1 medium onion 6 fresh scent pepper 1 seasoning cube ½ litre palm oil ground dry crayfish salt to taste periwinkles (optional) dry shrimps/prawns 4 medium fresh tomato Method 1.Add the palm oil and apply heat to cook for 5 minutes. 4. without overcooking. Semovita. Blend the pepper and tomatoes. Wash and chop the vegetables and onion set aside. shrimps or periwinkle (optional) Method 1. grounded pepper and salt and stir briefly. Set aside. prawns and cooked beef and place in a sauce pot with the beef stock. 3. cleaned and boneless dry fish.10 Note: To improve the drawing consistency. 2. washed prawns. cleaned fish and fermented melon and the seasoning cube. . season with salt and cook in 200ml water until cooked. Place palm oil in a sauce pot. Season with salt. 5. Add beef broth (100ml) and cover to simmer. dissolve the ground melon and pepper. Add the cooked chicken. 6. wash place in a pot. pounded yam or cassava meal. 4.Wash okro fruits thoroughly and grate coarsely. HERB OKRO SOUP 20 medium okro fruit (fresh) 4-6 tbsp palm oil 2 tsp ground pepper 4 tbsp ground crayfish 1 medium dry fish 1 bunch pumpkin leaf 1 bunch black pepper leaf (Fresh Ozizza) 1 seasoning cube 200g cooked beef litre beef stock salt to taste dry prawns.Remove from heat and serve with hot Amala. Crush in the seasoning cube.Stir in the grated okro and keep the soup boiling uncovered. 2. heat slightly to almost smoking point. In another 200m1 of water in a separate pot. Fufu orAmala balls. Serve hot with pounded Yam. Cut up older chicken into serving sizes. 3.Wash the leafy vegetables thoroughly and slice/chop finely . periwinkles cooked beef. stirring once. Remove from heat without over cooling vegetables. ground pepper and tomato mixture stirring well to prevent burning.Prepare the dry fish. FISH/CHICKEN PLAIN MELON SOUP WITH OKRO ½ cut-up older chicken (hen) 10 large dry prawns (ekpa) Medium dry fish 1 seasoning cube 1 ½ cup of melon seeds (ground) pinch of potash ½ wrap fermented melon (ogiri) (opt) salt to taste 2 tbsp ground crayfish 5 medium okro pods (optional) chopped. 7. 3. 2. Add the shrimps. 6. Stir in the chopped vegetables and cook for about 2-3 minutes. eliminate the use of fresh tomato. Method 1. Stir in all the chopped vegetables one after the other and cover the pot to steam for 3-5 minutes. Add the chicken broth and bring to full boiling. Steam for about 5minutes.Add the seasoning cube. 4.
Add salt to taste. 5. 2. stirring constantly. allowing it to bubble for 10 minutes. 7.Gradually pour some quantity of the liquid into the thick sauce i’ the mortar Mix thoroughly with the pestle. mixing well. 2. Garnish with tomato wedges and serve as appetizers. mix well and cook for 5 minutes with pot covered. Blend the tomatoes and peppers. l. Mix well and bring soup to boil again cooking for 10 minutes. stir occasionally. 4. Chop the cook shrimps and combine all the ingredients. Stir occasionally to prevent burning. Serve warm as soup with pounded ripe plantain and starch or garri balls. Mix well and cover and bring to boil.11 5. Stir in the tomato mixture and steam till almost the dehydrate. 6.Using the pestle. Debone and clean the fish. Dry fish and may be used instead of chicken. BREAD AND SHRIMPS APPETIZER 250g cooked shrimps 2-3 tbsp mayonnaise ½ cucumber 6-8 slices whole wheat/plain bread 2 tsp chopped colon Method 1. 2. Mix well with pestle till oil is mixed in the sauce. The thin soup without okro is good for dieters and adequate for convalescents. Stir occasionally. 5. Serves . Spinach greens may be used in place of okro. Tin palm oil Method 1. 3. 4. if desired. 3. Cook till the melon-tomato mixture sets and forms small lumps or curdles. 8. 4. Sprinkle salt over the soup and add pinch potash. 6. Season with salt to taste. Wash and chop the cucumber and set aside.Add potash and palm oil. Serve warm as soup with pounded yam baits. beef and bitter leaf. tin melon seed ground small washed bitter leaf 1 small marg. Add the onion and fry till lightly brown. Add okro if desired and simmer for 5 minutes till soup is slightly thickened. Serve 6-8 DRY FISH PALM OIL SAUCE (Uncooked Method) 12 pieces of a small tuber yam 150m1 tin palm oil Water for boiling yam 3-4 tbsp crayfish 1 tsp ground pepper ½ tsp potash 4 small sized dry fish salt to taste Method 1. corn meal balls or garri balls. except bread in a bowl. 7.Put pepper and crayfish into a wooden mortar. Remove cooked yam pieces and reserve t liquid.Roast the dry fish lightly and put them hot into the sauce to absorb it. Do the top of the sauce with palm oil. Serve over the boiled yam or unripe plantain. Add the dissolved melon. Mix the ground melon see and locust bean with half of the hot beef broth to a thick paste and Set aside. Stir in the remaining water/beef broth. 3. Pour palm oil into sauce pot and heat till it begins to smoke.Boil the yam in enough water to cover the yam pieces. squeeze the fish gently to soften them. addthepumpkn1eagtth and boil again for 5 minutes 9. BEEF MELON AND VEGETABLE SOUP 400gs cooked beef 1 small bunch chopped spinach or pumpkin leaves 1 medium smoked fish ½ small tomato tin 1 small mar. Pound till smooth. 6. . Spread between two slices of bread and cut into triangles of each sandwich. dry fish. Tin beef broth salt to taste 4-5 large tomatoes 1 seasoning cube 1 large onion-chopped 3 tbsp ground crayfish 4 large fresh peppers 1 small marg.
12 CHAPTER TWO VEGETABLES. The following is a brief note on salads. follow these guidelines. Vegetables and fruits are prominent components of salads. When you cook these items. tomatoes and peppers very well and chop them. VEGETABLE SALADS Salads are dishes containing vegetables or combinations of fruits and or vegetables which can be improved with protein items such as meat. The colour is also affected by excessive heat. flavours and optimum palatability. inedible skins. e)Vinegar or salted water must be used to wash and rinse the vegetables and fruits to destroy any available bacterium that can cause food poisoning.shaped and without cuts. All salads have the main ingredients. In preparing the fruits. always chose fresh vegetables and fruits instead of canned or frozen ones in order to obtain the true flavor. 3. peppers. Excessive heat destroys some of the nutrients in fruits and vegetable and softens them. as an appetizer or an accompaniment to main dish. . All fruit salads should be chilled before they are served SAUTE VEGETABLES 500g green leafy vegetable (Spinach) 1 medium onion 200g flaked fish 1 green pepper 100g fresh prawns (cleaned and cooked) 2fresh scent pepper 4 firm tomatoes 25g margarine/I 14 tbsp vegetable oil salt to taste. f)Add salad cream to vegetable salad just before serving. Syrup can be added to fruit salads. Top with fried or poached egg. all seeds. well. Wash and slice the leafy vegetable.Avoid mushy products . Wash and rewash vegetables properly before using. uniform in colour. They are often used as light and refreshing appetizers or desserts. prawns and the flaked fish. Freshly picked vegetables such as leaf vegetables will cook for a shorter period than vegetables such as legumes and root vegetables. It is cooled and poured over the prepared fruits. Salads are nUttOiili1C they provide rich sources of vitamins (A& C) iron. and rouphages. ensure that you use little amount of water and that you don’t over cook them. b)Cut the items in bite sizes or as indicated in the recipe . When buying vegetables. Wash onion. potatoes or plantain.SALADS Vegetables and fruits are important to meals. Add the chopped onion. 5. The cooking methods for fruits and vegetables should be selected to enhance maximum retention of nutrients. yam. or blemishes. They may serve as main. side. garnishes and dressings or creams which act as seasonings. Cook gently for about 5 minutes till fat is absorbed and vegetables are cooked. Blanching and steaming of vegetables can help to retain flavour colour and food value. FRUITS AND. c)Ensure that there is variety in colour texture and taste of items or ingredients. Almost in all cases Salads are served with some kind of dressing or cream. Use tools to wash and arrange the items and keep salad well garnished. They are good sources of vitamins and minerals as well as rouphages. Cook for 1 minute and stir in the leafy vegetables. 2. The syrup is made by heating 75 grams sugar in 250ml water with lime or lemon juice until the mixtures changes to light brown. eggs or fish. 4. or desserts dishes. g)Ensure that the prepare salads are adequately chilled or refrigerated before served. Also choose fruit and vegetable that are firm. FRUIT SALADS Fruit salads are more delicate and lighter than vegetable salads. In preparing salads. Method 1. fresh. Serve hot as an accompaniment to plain boiled rice. d)Proper hygiene must be maintained when preparing salads in order to avoid contamination by harmful bacteria. texture and colour and nutrient. tender or crisp. stems and the like must be removed to make eating easy. a)Ensure that the salads ingredients are fresh. clean and crisp. Set aside. Salads may be served as a separate course. tomatoes. Place a frying pan over heat and melt the margarine.
6. 3. 2.Cut the beef into chunks of I-inch cubes. This can also be baked in the oven by placing in a well-grease aluminum foil which is wrapped securely. ginger etc 12 small sized tomatoes 4 wooden skewers/toothpicks Method 1. 3. 4-6 GARDEN EGG SAUCE . Wash and peel potatoes. Wash and slice cabbage.Place in a grilling dish and cook over medium heat for about 30 minutes. Stir. Wash onions and cut each into 4 parts. Drain thoroughly. kitchen wonder can be used to cut potatoes. Remove. Alternatively.Peel and cut potatoes into 1. 3. . Hear the oil in a frying pan and combine all the ingredients in the oil. Sprinkle salt on the potato strips and fry in deep fat fryer. Wash in salted water and leave to drain. STEAMED CABBAGE (side dish) 1 small head of white cabbage 3 tbsp margarine 1 tsp salt to taste 1 onion sliced. Method 1.fry for 5-6 minutes and serve as side dish with potatoes or cereals (rice.inch cubes and place in ice water to prevent disco10uration. Soak the potatoes in ice water for about 30 minutes or 1 hour. 4.Add the seasonings and toss very well. Toss well while cooking over medium heat. 3. Cut them into medium size strips or slices. remove from oil and drain. 2. Deseed the green pepper and cut into 1-inchsquares. Place in a fry pan. Place beside the meat dish. . carrots and peas. When slightly brown.Cut carrots into I-inch segments. (If fresh) and set aside. Parboil the green beans. 5. 4. CRISPY POTATO CHIPS 2 medium Irish potatoes per person Salt and white pepper ice water vegetable oil for frying Method 1. 5. toss and mix completely. Add the salt. Alternate chunks of meat and vegetable on skewers. Serve as side dish with rice or potatoes. MIXED VEGETABLE SIDE DISH 250g sliced carrots 2 stalks celery (sliced) 250g sliced green beans 100g sweet corn ½ tsp curry ¼ small cabbage salt and pepper to taste ½ tsp soy sauce 1 sliced onion 2 tbsp vegetable oil Method 1.13 BEEF-VEGETABLE KEBABS 250 cooked beef 1-2 potatoes 4 small onions 1 seasoning cube 3 carrots ½ tsp curry and white pepper 1 green pepper ½ tsp thyme. dry thoroughly. Serve as appetizer or snack. 2. sprinkle some pepper on them. 2. if desired and top with ketch-up. dot with margarine and stir fry for about 3 minutes. Steam the shredded cabbage for 2 minutes. noodles etc) with grilled or fried chicken/beef. onion.Combine the beef chunks and the vegetables including the drained potatoes in a bowl. 4.
Method 1. Add the celery and mayonnaise. Remove from heat and serve with fried or boiled yam. Garnish with the egg slices and chill before serving SAUTE SPINACH GREENS 500g greens (spinach or fluted pumpkin) 1 medium onion Margarine or vegetable oil 2-3 fresh scent peppers (optional) salt to taste 1 green scent pepper 100g fresh prawns Method 1. Cook for 5minutes longer for taste to blend. lemon. Add flaked fish if desired. Serve hot with tomato sauce as a side dish or accompaniment for boiled or Jollof rice. Server 4. EGGNOG SALAD 1 egg 1 cup flaked coconut . 4. Clean and parboil the fresh prawns shrimps if available. Season with the salt and pepper and mix lightly. sliced. Wash and slice the lettuce or cabbage leaves. Stir gently and heat through for 1 minute longer. Heat the oil in a frying pan and proceed to frying the onions. 3. Sprinkle the vegetables with lemon juice mixture and chill before serving. salt and vinegar. Wash and cut tomatoes into segments. 2. and the scent peppers. Wash. TOMATO-AVOCADO SALAD 2 avocado pears 2 ½ tbsp lemon juice 2medjum tomatoes ½ tbsp salt Lettuce or cabbage leaves ½ tbsp vinegar 1 tbsp sugar 3 tbsp vegetable oil. onions. sliced sliced lettuce leaves 4tbsp mayonnaise 2 hard cooked eggs. tomatoes and9epper to half-cooked. Cut into thin slices an set aside. SHRIMP-EGG SALAD (Appetizer) 100 cooked shrimps salt to taste 1 tbsp lemon juice ½ tsp ground pepper 3 stalks celery. pepper and prawns. potatoes or plantain. 5. Wash and slice green leafy vegetables. Add the sliced garden egg and season with salt. 2. Method 1. Combine sugar. Place the tomatoes on t h e lettuce leaves in between the avocados. cut each avocados into six segments and peel the skin.14 3 medium fresh garden eggs 1 medium onion 4-6 medium tomatoes 150m1 vegetable or palm oil 4 fresh pepper salt to taste Method 1. pepper and onions. Wash and peel garden eggs. 2. juice. Season with a little salt. 2. 3. 3. melt the margarine and add the vegetables. Arrange the cut avocados on a flat dish lined with the lettuce or cabbage slices. Cover and cook for 3 minutes till fat is absorbed. onion. oil. 4. Chop the shrimps in to pieces. Set aside. 3. boiled or fried yam or plantain. Place the salad on a flat dish lined with sliced lettuce leaves. Now slice the tomatoes. In a frying pan. Sprinkle them with lemon juice.
egg and sugar) ingredients. Bring water to boil and add salt. Leave to boil for another 10 minutes 4. Mix the eggnog (milk. In a medium pan. 5. Method 1. Put enough water to cover the yam and put to boiling. RED AND GREEN COLESLAW 4 carrots. Chill in freezer until firm. carrots. 2. 3. chopped leaves and set aside. Serve as a side ‘dish with jollof rice or top over stew. orange. spices. combine cabbages. Stir well and cover. Pour over vegetables and mix well. VEGETABLE RELISHES 1 celery stalk in strip 3 carrots in strip 2 tbsp mayonnaise ¼ tsb salt . Add the blanched green leaves and toss as you fry. Serve hot in plain form or topped with palm oil drops. remove the lemon grass bunch and any other edible spices/herbs. 3. wash and place the yam pieces in a saucepan.shredded 1 tspsa1t 600g shredded. 3. In a large bowl. Makes 6-7 servings. 2. STIR-FRIED GREENS 1 medium bunch spinach leaves ½ tsp salt ¼ cup water 2 tbsp vegetable oil 1 medium onion/sliced 1 fresh pepper-chopped/sliced Method 1. 3. Soften g e 1 a tin in the orange juice and melt over hot water. Do not over cook. Tie the lemon grass to make a bunch. Stir well again.15 250m1 milk 1 cup orange juice 1 tbsp sugar or honey sachet of plain gelatin 1 cup mixed fruits(pineapple. heat the vegetable oil and fry fry onion and pepper slices. watermelon. GOAT MEAT AND YAM CASSEROLE 600g cooked goat meat (deboned) (cutlets) ½ medium tuber yam 2 stalks lemon grass leaf 4 scent leaves 2 tbsp ground crayfish 2 tsp ground African nutmeg 2 crushed and seeded enge pods 1 seasoning cube salt and pepper to taste water for boiling yam Method 1. pepper and salt. 2. 50g shopped green pepper Method 1. When half-cooked. Chill before serving. With boiled unripe plantain (5-6 fingers) may be used in place of yam. add the cooked goat meat (cut-up) to the yam and continue boiling for another 15 minutes till yam is cooked and meat is tender. Set aside. Makes 6 servings. green pepper and onion. crayfish. Blanch. Combine the remaining ingredients mixing well. tangerines. scent leaves. Combine the rest of ingredients and pour into small cups and chill. pawpaw) ¼ tsp nutmeg. Add the prepared herbs. Serve as dessert. Wash and chop leaf vegetables. Green cabbage 2 tbsp white vinegar 200g shredded red cabbage 3 tbsp granulated sugar. Peel Yam. 4. 2.
Cook for about 5-6 minutes and drain off the water. Wash again with vinegar and salt solution. 4. 3. The mi serves as a dip for the vegetable. Prepare the vegetables (the first five ingredients). Wash cauliflowers well and place in salt water. 6.16 1 cauliflower in chunks ½ graded onion 3 large firm tomatoes in sections 2 tbsp milk 2 cucumbers in slices Method 1. Melt the margarine in the small frying pan and add the onion. Drain off the water and cool. Season with salt if necessary. Mix all the remaining ingredients in a bowl and place in the c of a flat dish or tray. Peel and slice cucumber thinly. Note: Carrots can be sliced or grated in long strips and used in the raw state instead of dicing and blanching. leaving the pale green leaves. chopped Salt to taste Method 1. 1 medium beet root diced blanched ½ green pepper diced salad dressing/cream/mayonnaise Method 1. Peel and dice carrot and cook in boiled water for 5minutes. Chill well in the refrigerator and serve with salad cream. Makes 8 servings. Chill before serving as appetizers CRUNCHY CAULIFLOWER 1 large head cauliflower 1 onion. 4. Trim off the hard stem and cut cauliflower well small chunks. Arrange the prepared vegetables around the bowl. arrange the vegetables on a flat dish in diagonal or circular arrangement. pepper and cooked cauliflower. MIXED VEGETABLE SALAD 4 medium carrots (diced/grated) 1 small can peas 1 small sized cabbage 1 head lettuce 100g sweet corn 3 firm tomatoes (diced) 1 can baked beans 1 small cucumber-sliced 2 hard cooked eggs-sliced 1 onion sliced and blanched. Garnish the top with egg slices. vegetables wash in salted water or vinegar solution. peas and baked beans. Stir in the carrot slices. 3. Set aside to drain. 2. 3. Remove the large outer green leaves. Alternatively. 2. Now toss and mix all the vegetables in a salad bowl or arrange them in layers. 2. Wash and slice cabbage and lettuce thinly. sliced 4 tbsp margarine 2 carrots. Garnish with egg white slices around the dish and the yolks as topping on the cauliflower. Stir-fry for3 minutes and serve hot. with lettuce leaves as under liners. Drain the green peas and baked beans and 5. SALAD CREAM II 4 tbsp evaporated milk 2-4 tbsp vegetable oil 2 eggs yolks 1 ½ tsp sugar 1 tsp mustard ½ tsp salt 2 tbsp white vinegar/lemon juice ½ tsp white pepper 2 tsp boiling water . 7. sliced diagonally 2 hardboiled eggs 1 green chill pepper.
Put in salad bowl and garnish with wedges of tomatoes. Wash and chop celery or spring onion. 2. 5.cooked and diced 2 stalks spring onion/celery-chopped ½ tsp salt 3 hard boiled eggs. Peel and grate the carrot in long pieces and combine all the shredded vegetables in a bowl. whisking continuously. Slice the remaining cucumber and to serve. 4. 4. slit and remove the seeds. Slice the lettuce or cabbage leaves and set aside. Now shred the cucumbers. Chop onion. Toss gently and set aside. Wash cucumbers. Prepare cabbage and shred finely. add a little milk or vinegar to thicken. If mixture is too thick. Reserve one for slicing. salt. Top with mayonnaise.17 Method 1. 3. pepper. CARROT-CUCUMMBER SALAD 3 large carrots (shredded) 2 large cucumbers. grated long ½ of one beet root (diced) 3 tbsp shredded coconut ½ small onion 50g cashew nuts (optional) 2 firm ripe tomatoes salad cream to taste 1 green or red apple Method 1. Line a flat dish with the lettuce or cabbage leaves and serve the salad on the leaves. Place yolks. vinegar. chopped 1 small onion chopped ½ tsp white/black pepper 4 tbsp mayonnaise or salad cream . Pour oil gradually. Mix all ingredients together. CABBAGE SALAD ½ small firm white cabbage I stalk celery or spring onion 2 large carrots. Chill and top with mayonnaise before serving. Set aside. Crush the peanuts and combine all the ingredients. Chill and serve with salad cream or mayonnaise. Continue whisking till mixture is thick. take another egg yolk with ½ tsp water and add to mixture and whisk well. 3. 6. Garnish with cucumber slices. CUCUMBERAND COCONUT SALAD 3 medium cucumbers 2-3 carrots 1 small coconut Lettuce leaves/cabbage 100g roasted peanuts (pealed) Mayonnaise Method 1. Sanitize vegetable very well to destroy harmful micro organisms. sugar and mustard in a bowl and whisk well. 2. 3. 5. POTATO SALAD 4 large potatoes. Put all ingredients except mayonnaise in a salad bowl or arrant vegetables by alternating them and having the salad well garnished. Add the boiling water and milk after whisking well. peeled and diced 4 tbsp shredded coconut 1 tbsp sugar salt to taste 2 tbsp mayonnaise Method 1. cashew nuts and apple with skin 4. 2. Remove the hard brown back of the coconut and shred or grate as well. 2. Make 8 servings.
4. 4.18 Method 1. 5. 4. Combine all the fruits in a bowl and set aside. Cut across the pineapple to the leafy end smaller than the other part. 3. 2. 3. chopped celery. Line a flat dish with the lettuce leaves. 2. green pepper and white pepper in bowl. SWEET CORNAND EGG SALAD 4 hard cooked eggs 2 bunches lettuce leaves sliced 1/2 green pepper-chopped 5 large fresh shrimps cooked 2 tbsp mayonnaise pinch salt and white pepper 1 tbsp lime/Lemon juice 2 stalks celery-diced 200g sweet corn Method 1. 1. Spread the egg salad over the lettuce leaves and garnish with the remaining eggs (cut in segments) or seeded tomatoes. making sure that the eggs dc not scatter much. green pepper. Chill and top with mayonnaise before serving FRUIT BASKET / SURPRISE 4 firm bananas-sliced 4 orange-peeled and chopped 1 medium pineapple ½ watermelon 2 firm ripe mangoes or pawpaw 4 tbsp sugar ½ cup raisins (optional) 1 cup pineapple juice/water 2 limes Method 1. Makes 6 servings PLAIN EGG SALAD 4 hard boiled eggs (diced) 1 stalk celery-finely chopped 2 tbsp mayonnaise/salad cream ½ green pepper-finely chopped 1 small onion-chopped (optional) ½ tsp white pepper Method Place the diced eggs. 2. Refrigerate before serving into cocktail glasses. In a large. 6. 6. 3. Add the cream or mayonnaise and toss lightly. Toss them lightly together and season with salt and white pepper. . Gently toss the ingredients together. celery and sweet corn. Prepare the other vegetables and combine the diced eggs shrimps. Garnish with few shredded carrots or sweet red pepper. 3. Use sharp knife to scoop out the inside of the pineapple and reserve the shell. Add the syrup to fruits and mix up gently. Chop the shrimps and dice only 2 cooked eggs. 5. Now fry the onion in small fat or oil until golden brown and add to the salad. Add the salt and mayonnaise or cream. combine all ingredients. The leafy end serves as cover for the larger part of the pineapple. Serves a starter on appetizer or a snack with crackers/toasted bread. Squeeze out the juice from one lime and pour over sliced bananas to prevent browning. 5. Cook the sugar in the pineapple juice or water until it dissolves. excepts salad cream. Allow syrup to cool. Prepare the other fruits by slicing bananas and chopping others. Serve chilled.
using the fruits that have been washed. 8. SUGAR SYRUP FOR FRUIT SALAD 100g sugar 250ml water Method 1. Season with salt. Add orange juice and honey. Decorate with lime slices. Place water and sugar in a sauce pot and heat till sugar is dissolved. watermelon and pineapple in a mixing bowl. all spice and nutmeg over the fruit mixture and toss well. . 2. currants. shred cabbage and put in a bowl containing ice water and the vinegar or lemon juice. Also’ clean the carrots and onion. Now shred the green pepper. Makes 8-10 servings. Boil for another 5 minutes till syrup thickens.19 7. Wash and cut the green pepper to remove core and seeds. 6. sugar and pepper. 2. pile high the shell. drain the cabbage and other vegetables thoroughly. 2. chop onion and grate the carrots add these to the cabbage in the bowl of salted ice water. Reserve mayonnaise to time of serving. cover bowl and chill in the refrigerator. CRISPY COLESLAW 450g fresh white cabbage 1 green pepper ¼ green pepper 2 large carrots 1 litre ice water 1 tbsp sugar 2 tbsp white vinegar 3 mayonnaise pinch salt and white pepper Method 1. 3. 5. lemon Juice. After 301 minutes. BAKED SPICED FRUITS 250g chopped pineapples 250g apple or mangoes 250g seedless orange sections 2 tbsp sugar 1/8 tsp salt a pinch nutmeg Method 1. coconut. Using the kitchen wonder. Serves 8-10. Sprinkle vanilla. 4. Add the mayonnaise and serve. Leave it to cool and pour over a bowl of fruit salad. cover with the leafy end and chill. Wash cabbage very well. peeled and chopped. Toss them well in a salad bowl. Filltl4e pineapple shell with the mixed fruits. 3. Combine oranges. shredded coconut 4 tbsp honey 2 tbsp lemon juice ¼ chopped pineapple 100g currants/raisins 1 tsp all spice ½ tsp vanilla and nutmeg 3 seedless oranges (peeled and diced) Method 1. SPICED FRUIT SALAD ¼ water fl’1eOfl (diced) 250m1 orange juice 50e. Combine all the ingredients. Mix up thoroughly. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour and serve in dessert cups or cocktail bowls as dessert.
BEANS AND MAIZE POTTAGE 1 ½ marg. 2. Add the vinegar gradually too. stirring gently to distribute the ingredients well. Add potash if desired. . Cover pot and boil for about 10 minutes till liquid become a thick sauce and yam cuts have absorbed some oil. Mix well and serve as topping or sauce for vegetable salads. Tin shelled fresh maize 3. 1 ½ tsp sugar ½ tsp white pepper Method 1. Keep chilled.peppers (chopped) I large onion (sliced) 2 medium tomatoes (chopped) 2 tbsp crushed crayfish 1 milk tin dry prawns 2 marg. Now clean fish chop onion and leafy vegetables and set aside. 4 tbsp evaporated milk ½ tsp salt 2. When yam is almost cooked. 2 yolks from hard boiled eggs. Combine all the sieved ingredients in a bowl and add milk gradually. and blend in the vegetable oil.20 2. mixing well. Serves 4. Sprinkle a little salt over the yams. Stir very well to mix up the ingredients. cover pot and boil for 5 minutes. Add the palm oil and the other ingredients. Place yams in a saucepot and fill with enough water to cover the yams. 3. Serve as appetizer for breakfast or dessert. Stir well. tin beans (uncooked) 2 marg. 4. 6. 3. Cooked for 1 minutes longer and s e r v e warm as a packed meal or main dish. Sieve all the dry ingredients as well. sprinkle the ground dry pepper and add the fish. SALAD CREAM (MAYONNAISE) 1. Cook for about 25 minutes or till yam cuts are cooked. Add the leafy vegetable and stir well. 4. pour the palm oil over all the yam surface. cover the pot and bring to boil. Wash and parboil beans till half cooked. crayfish and onion. Simmer for 5 minute e s more. Whisk very well. 7. 5. Serves 4-6. Bake over medium heat in the oven for 30 minutes. 2. wash and cut yam into 2 inch squares. Sort and wash the maize. dry mustard 4. Grape fruit can be used in place of orange. 2. 3. 3. Add maize to the beans and cook both until soft. Makes 4 servings. Mix well and place in a greased baking dish. 4. Tin large chunks of dry fish salt to taste water salt to taste 3-4 tbsp crushed crayfish 1 medium onion Method 1. YAM AND VEGETABLE POTTAGE ½ tuber of medium soft white yam 1 medium dry fish/cooked beef 10 stalks of pumpkin/green vegetable 1 ½ tsp ground pepper 200m1 of palm oil Method 1. With a little water left in the cooked beans-maize. Press the egg yolks through a sieve to smooth. 4. Taste for salt and pepper. Serve warm as a main dish. Peel. 2 tbsp vegetable oil 2tbsp white vinegar/lemon juice 3.
5. Add little water. Beaten eggs or ground crayfish may be added to improve nutrient content and flavour. Beat till mixture is light and fluffy. STEAMFD BEAN PASTE (MOI-MOI) 2 Cups beans veg. Makes 5-6 servings. Adding the water gradually.Blend in the crayfish and salt. Serve hot with pap as breakfast dish. Test oil for moderate frying temperature using drop of water. Sort and dehaul the beans. Taste for salt and season . 3. Method 1. Fry until golden brown on all sides turning frequently. 2.Put in a bowl and beat or stir vigorously. adding the oil gradually. Prepare the bean paste as for Akara balls. grind into a very smooth thick paste and put in a clean bowl. oil for deep frying 1 ½ tomato tin water salt to taste. 6. 4. Makes 15-20 small balls. Use medium dessert spoon to drop the mixture in balls into the oil. Add the pepper. Ground crayfish 1fledium onion 2 hard boiled eggs chopped or sliced 200ml vegetable/palm oil 2 ½ tablesp flaked fish Salt to taste 2 deseeded fresh tatashe peppers 1 bunch of wrapping leaves or steaming cups. 2.Sort and dehaul beans and grind together with fresh peppers and onion. 300ml warm water. Drain the sweet potato slices thoroughly. Method 1. BEAN PASTE POTATOES 2 medium sweet potatoes 2 cups bean paste 1 ½ tsp ground pepper veg. 3. Wash. Oil for deep frying 4 fresh pepper 2 table sp. Heat the oil for frying. 1. Stir in the warm water gradually and the flaked fish. salt and chopped onion. Dry shrimps can be inserted into balls when being dropped in oil as a form of garnishing. Fry in the hot oil until golden brown on both sides. pepper and salt to bean paste and beat well. 4. 6. each of half inch thickness. 5. Stir well with the wooden spoon and heat the oil in a deep frying pan. 2. Serve hot as snacks. peel and cut potatoes into about 8 slice. cream or beat the beam paste vigorously enough to incorporate air into it. Now dip each slice into the beans paste mixture and coat the Potato slice generously. Put in a bowl of cool water.21 BEAN BALLS (AKARA OR FRIED BEAN CAKE) 2 cups of white beans salt to taste 1 large onion 100ml warm water 1 tsp ground dry pepper vegetable oil for deep frying 2 chopped fresh pepper Method 1. Continue the beating of paste to retain air till all the frying is completed.
DRY CORN AND BEAN STEW . 2. Boil for about 40 minutes or until soft cooked. Wash and peel the plantains. Stir to thicken. Scoop into colander for oil to drain off. 4. BEEF STEW 2cupsbeans Enough water to cook beans Salt to taste Crayfish.Put water to boil in a steaming pot and place deep pot packed with few sticks or plantain leaves to keep moi-moi from direct heat. Serve with tomato sauce (stew) and plain boiled rice. Note: Tomato paste may be added to improve colour. yam.22 well. Fold and leaves properly before arranging in the pot. onion (as desired) 1 cup palm oil or groundnut oil cooked meat/dry fish Method Boil beans and meat together. Slices may be lengthwise or crosswise. Sort beans. Wash and peel plantains. 4. Salt palm oil/vegetable oil for frying Method 1. salt Vegetable oil for frying Method 1. Cook for 20 minutes and stir in the oil and ground pepper. wash and begin cooking in the plain water. Corned beef may be used in place of sliced eggs. Serve as snack. 2. 3.Place the pot and pour in boiled water through side of the pot to the level of the packings. boiled unripe plantain or fried ripe plantain. y potatoes. Make 5 servings.Steam 35minutes.Stir the mixture well again and scoop one or two spoonfuls into greased aluminum cups or wrapping leaves. 2. 4. 4. Leave to simmer till beans is well cooked but not broken. Heat the vegetable oil and fry till crisp. PLAIN BOILED BEANS 1 cup beans Pinch potash 4 cups water pinch salt Method 1. Sprinkle salt all over the slices and set aside for 5 minutes 3. 6. Heat oil in a frying pan to moderate temperature and fry the plantain slices till lightly brown on all sides. Serves 4 CRISPY FRIED UNRIPE PLANTAIN SLICES 2 medium unripe plantain ½ tsp. serve warm with pap for breakfast as side dish with jollof rice. Sprinkle salt all over and toss well. FRIED RIPE PLANTAIN SLICES 2 large ripe plantains 1 ½ tsp. plantain or fried potatoes and plantain. 3. ground pepper. Add Potash to soften the water and facilitate the cooking. Remove and drain. Cover and cook to bind the ingredients. 5. cut plantain about 1/8 inch thickness. Serve as side dish for stewed beans or rice dishes. Using a knife or a portable slicer. Add salt to taste. Add sliced onion and crayfish. Serve as side dish to plain boiled rice. Make 12-14 cups or wrappings. Slice them diagonally in ¼ inch thickens to a bowl. Stir well and season with salt to taste.
When cooked. sodium and magnesium. Serve 8-10. Excessive heat can easily make fish t i and dry. Frequently turn and brush with fat. Serve and garnish with sliced green pepper and fried fresh prawns. There are certain organs and glands of the animals called variety meats that are used as delicacies in meals. FISH AND EGGS Meat is generally the main item of a meal and is obtained from a variety of animals. 3. tongue. heart. clam. They are good sources of such vitamins as the B complex group. Examples are liver. The shell fish include shrimps. chopped Smoked fish (deboned) 100ml palm oil salt to taste 1 tbsp ground crayfish ½ green pepper for garnishing Method 1. phosphorus. Cooked beef chunks can be used instead of gizzard. CHICKEN GIZZARD KEBABS 450gs chicken gizzards 2 onions-cut in chunks 1 tsp curry Salt and pepper 2 tbsp melted margarine 5 wooden or metal shewers Method Clean and wash the gizzards and cut in halves. 4. Sort and clean beans. potassium. Roasting. inc1udiig fish. Thread the cooked gizzards on small skewers or toothpicks with the onion chunks place in between the gizzards (3 gizzards pieces to 2 onion chunks). kidneys. poultry and eggs are complete proteins. salt and crayfish. Cook until the both oil and the liquid are well blended. CHAPTER THREE MEAT. Fish can be prepared by any of the above mentioned methods and should not be overcooked. Meats. All meats including poultry must be well cooked but over cooking and excessive heat makes them tough and dry. The age of animal. marrows etc. Clean and put the dry corn in salted boiling water and cook till half. stirring frequently. All meats should be well-cooked to make them tender. Add the beans to the boiling corm. CHICKEN NUGGETS 450g cooked chicken (minced) 4 slices of bread (crust removed) 1 tbsp margarine 1 tbsp flour . tripe (shaki). Beef is the most important meat used and the muscle fibres are the most desirable parts. Season with salt. Parboil them for about 10 minutes. They also supply iron. pepper. 2. crabs etc. Brush with melted margarine and grill or bake over medium heat for 10-15 minutes. to destroy bacteria and to improve its appearance. brains. palatable and digestible. add the palm oil. Other methods include broiling or grilling and stewing. methods of cooking meats. frying and braising are three general. Whole chicken and turkey should be stuffed before cooking. Add fish if available and cook for another 3 minutes. Leave to cook until soft. 5.23 1 ½ cup dry corn 1 tsp pepper Enough water for boiling 1 medium onion. tail. pepper and curry.cooked. vitamin A and I. Fish is also complete protein and is available in two major forms: fin fish and shell fish. the type of feed and the amount of muscle greatly influence the quality of the meat when cooked. intestines.
Prepare braised beefy chicken and set aside. With hands well flowered shape the cooled mixture into balls. Remove from heat when macaroni is tender. chopped 1 spring onion. finely chopped 1 tbsp chopped parsley Pinch salt 2 eggs Vegetable oil for deep frying Method Toast the bread and crush into breadcrumbs. 2 small onions sliced 1 stalk celery chopped 1 tsp salt 2 litres beef broth 1 package elbow macaroni 1 can green pees 1 tsp dried bay leaf crushed 2-3 curry powder 2 seasoning cubes or sachet mix. Season the chicken well and place in a sauce pot with 1 cup of water. Stir in the chicken/beef broth and bring to boil Place cooked macaroni in the pot and stir in the braised beef/chicken. Stir in the drained peas and serve hot garnished with parsley leaves. Cook until golden brand on all sides. 3. Return to heat and bring to boil. Stir in the chicken and breadcrumbs into the white sauce (milk and flour mixture). Season with salt to taste. Coat the egg washed balls with the remaining breadcrumbs and fry in deep frying pan. BRAISED CURRIED CHICKEN/TURKEY 2 thighs of chicken/turkey wing (cut up) 3 tsp curry 3 tbsp margarine/vegetable oil 1 seasoning Method Stir and mix up curry powder. Serve hot with braised rice. 6. 4. 34 onion and 1 fresh tomato to the cut-up beef. Remove from heat an allow to cool completely. Melt the margarine in a flying pan and remove from heat. Use a fork to turn the balls in the beaten egg or use pastry brush to coat with egg. Cook under low heat for about I V2 hours till cooked and lightly brown. In a saucepan.24 1 40m1 milk 1 chilli pepper. place macaroni and cook as directed on package drain off. Steam under low heat for 1 ‘/2 hours till browned. stirring constantly. Stir in the flour and add the milk. Wash and allow cut-up chicken to drain off water. CURRIED MACARONI Braised beef (cooked) 4 tbsp vegetable oil. SHRIMP KEBABS 300g large fresh shrimps salt and pepper to taste . melted margarine and seasoning cube in a small bowl and set aside. Combine part of the breadcrumbs with the minced chicken and set aside. onion and parsley. 2. onion slices celery and seasonings for2 minutes. In another saucepan. Method 1. heat vegetable oil. Cover and cook for about 6-10 minutes. Drain and serve with ketchup as appetizer. Add the chilli pepper. 5. Note: The same method for braised beef can be used but add sliced (3) red pepper.
onions and tomatoes on short skewers. Serve 8. Toss gently and alternatively arrange shrimp. leaving the tail in place. Bake or grill toothpicks into meat balls. Roll up the liver or beef slices as for sausage rolls and secure with tooth picks. Spread the ground beef/sausage mixture over lightly salted thin beef or liver slices. SHRIMPS IN BATTER 1kg fresh shrimps (large size) (about 15-20 shrimps) ½ tsp curry ¼ tsp salt oil for deep frying Method 1. 4. Serve as appetizer or snacks for cock tail party. pepper and chopped garlic and cook for another 2 minutes longer. Cook for 5-6 minutes. grill over medium flame for 45minutes it can also be fried in deep fat. When cooked brush with curry sauce and serve hot as appetizer or finger foods. sausage or ground beef and margarine in a saucepan. Add salt. Makes 8-10 serving. 6. 2. green pepper. Grill over medium heat for 15-20 minutes or fry in hot deep fat. Brush oil on kebab. Serve with white or yellow sauce as appetizer or without sauce as cocktail-item.25 2 large green pepper (cut in squares) 3 large firm tomato (in squares) 2 onion (cut in squares) 3 tbsp vegetable oil curry and thyme (optional) Method Clean shrimps. and devein. SAVOURY MEATBALLS 1kg ground beef 2 tbsp dried onion flakes 1-2 eggs 1 green pepper diced salt and pepper to taste ¼ tsp thyme maggi or soy sauce l tbsp bread crumbs Method Combine all the ingredient in a bowl and mix up thoroughly. Devin (remove the vein that contain sand) and wash well. Place them in greased roasting or grilling pan. Combine the shrimps and all other ingredients in a large bowl. 3. Combine onions. 2. Chopped onion 1 teasp margarine lean beef l teasp chopped garlic salt and pepper to taste 8-10 thin slices of liver \soft Method 1. Set aside for the seasoned shrimps to absorb flavours while batter is being prepared. 5. Shape into balls that look like the size of large walnuts. removing the shells but leaving the details in place. Remove shell from shrimps. following the directions below BATTER 150g flour ½ or 1 egg 50m1 milk 1 ½ tsp baking powder pinch salt pepper (optional) . Wash well and season with curry and salt. BEEF ROLLUPS 250grams ground beef or sausage 2tablesp.
Mix flour and seasonings in a large plastic bag. Fry until golden brown. 5. FISH IN BATTER (FRIED FISH) 6 fish fillet (makarel) 225g flour 2 eggs ½ tsp white/black pepper Oil for flying 1 ½ tsp baking powder Method Rinse the fish and keep to dry. Dip each shrimp into the pre-heated oil and cook until golden brown. except the tail. salt and baking powder in a bowl and gradually adding the beaten egg in l tbsp water if batter is stiff. Combine all ingredients except egg. Make a batter with the flour. Toss onions. 2. Makes 20 balls. Put immediately into hot fat. Beat the eggs ma large bowl and add the fish one at a time turning well. Split shrimps down the back to about /2 inch to the tail. Heat oil for frying in a large frying pan (about 2 inch deep) When oil is hot. Drain off fat and serve with ketchup as appetizer BUTTERFLY SHRIMPS ½ kg large fresh shrimps 65g flour 1 tbsp corn starch Vegetable oil for deep frying. Place the egg coated pieces of fish into the bag and shake well to coat each piece of fish. 4. CRISPY BAKED CHICKEN l25grams bread crumbs / crack 1/4 tsp salt . Add the seasonings and flour and beat well until mixture is creamy 4. 5. Drop spoonfuls into baking dish or fry in hot fat until crisp. Flake the cooked fish very well. 3. 2. corm starch.. 3. Serve hot with ketchup or yellow sauce. add the flour coated pieces of fish and fry until dry. Beat egg whites until foamy and stiff and fold in the fish mixtures. FISH PUFFS 600g cooked fish 30g flour (2thsp) 1 medium onion chopped 1 green pepper chopped Veg. 2. Flatten to give the butterfly shape. add the remaining water. Drain the fried fish and serve garnished with celery leaves or parsley leaves. Now dip each prepared shrimp into the batter and coat the shrimp generously. well beaten Method 1. Serve with sauce as an appetizer. ½ tsp baking powder 1-2 tbsp water 1 egg. Clean shrimps. Separate the egg whites and yolks. puffed and lightly browned. 3. Beat the egg and gradually mix up with flour. removing all bones. Oil for deep frying 2 eggs 2tsp soy sauce/ ½ seasoning cube ½ tsp curry salt and white pepper Method 1. Insert toothpicks into balls and serve as cocktail dish. 6. remove shell and devein.26 Method 1. beaten egg yolk and flaked fish.
3. Turning chicken frequently. Grill over medium heat for ½ hours. Coat the chicken pieces with the flour mixture. Cut chicken into pieces. Rub the margarine mixture over chicken parts. 6. Alternatively. Add garlic and ginger. Deseed the tomatoes and dice them. aside. chicken cut ups tan be seasoned and parboiled before grilling. Bake for 50-55 minutes. Heat the vegetable oil in a pan and cook the coated chicken in the hot oil till it is brown. Mix margarine. salt cabbage and the seasonings. GRILLED CURRIED CHICKEN 50 g margarine melted 1 clove garlic. Serve as snack. basting with the curry and margarine mixture. Drain off oil from the pan and stir-fry the onion. Grease a baking dish/pan. SPICED CHICKEN 1 medium chicken 2 large onions sliced 2 small fresh pepper chopped l tsp thyme . Serve with rice dishes. sliced 70 grams currants 1 tsp curry 1 large onion. diced tomatoes. Pour the egg-vegetable mixture over the chicken and top with the remaining fried chicken pieces and currants. Now cut the flesh into small strips or chunks. 5. pepper and flour together. 4. 4. Melt the margarine. maggi and curry in a bowl. sliced 1 tsp grated garlic ½ tsp white pepper ½ tsp salt mixed fruit ½ tsp thyme 2 eggs Method 1. green paper. Remove immediately from hea and set aside. Wash and cut up chicken in to serving pieces or portions. 3. Beat the eggs and mix beaten eggs with the vegetable mixture and some currants. 2. chopped 2 whole tomatoes 25ograms cabbage. 3. Mix ¼ tsp salt. Clean the chicken very well and allow to drain. 2. 6. Place some fried chicken pieces in a greased baking pan or dish. salt.27 ¼ tsp white pepper ¼ tsp curry 1 whole chicken (broiler) 1 seasoning cube 60 grams (4tbsp) melted margarine Method 1. Wash again and set aside to drain off water (parboil if broiler is not used). stirring frequently. Combine breadcrumbs or crushed cracker crumbs and other ingredients except the margarine. minced ginger 1 ½ tsp curry powder l tsp salt 1 medium chicken-broiler 1 seasoning cube Method 1. then roll the chicken pieces in the bread crumbs mixture. CHICKEN/FISH FIESTA 500g broiler chicken/flaked cooked fish l25grams flour sifted 200ml vegetable oil 1 green pepper. 4. 2. Cook and debone. Serve 4-6. Remove from heat and set 1. coat the dry chicken pieces first in m e It e d margarine. Place n pre-heated oven for 5 minutes or microwave oven for 5 minutes. Grease a baking dishes or tray and place the coated chicken pieces in the lightly grease dish or pan.
2. Wash chicken and allow the chicken to drain off water. 4. Mix the melted margarine. 5. 7. Parboil chicken and leave to cool if necessary. Garnish with tomato and onion slices arranged at the sides of the dish. ginger) Method 1. 3. Cross the legs and tic them together with a string. 5. Prepare raw chicken by cutting into serving sizes or pieces. Secure cavity tightly with toothpick or tie legs with a string. Fry in deep until golden brown but not completely cooked. 1 tsp all spice (optional) l tsp curry Method 1. 2. Season the chicken and dip in batter. 6. 7. Baste frequently with melted margarine. CRISP FRIED CHICKEN (IN BATTER) 1 medium chicken 150g flour 1 tsp baking powder 1 tsp salt 8tbsp milk 1 large egg-well beaten seasoning as desired (curry. Roast for 1 hour. looping the string. 4. Before serving. 4. Turn and baste the chicken frequently. placing the skin up side down. CRISP FRIED FISH 8-10 market fish fillet 150grams salt and pepper seasoned flour . Serve with rice and potato dishes. parboil chicken for 15 minutes or until half cooked. 2. Stuff the cavity with the stuffing mixture. cut chicken thoroughly and set aside for liquid to drain off (10 minutes). Rub the melted margarine mixture and curry over the outer surface of the chicken. Put chicken parts in to a pot and some of the prepared spice. tie the wings against the back. Remove from top cooker and arrange chicken in a greased baking tray. Wash up chicken thoroughly. thyme. Prepare the other ingredients. 6. Rub some into the cavity of the chicken. Remove and arrange into baking trays and roast in oven at 3500 for 25-35 minutes. Mix the remaining ingredients for batter. Put in a greased baking dish and roast in oven for about 1½ to hours. remove tooth picks and strings. salt and pepper. Combine spices in small mortar and pound.28 5 cloves garlic minced 1 tsp ginger minced Chicken seasoning cubes ½ tsp salt 3 large tomatoes sliced. Wash. STUFFED ROAST CHICKEN (a) I whole chicken (broiler) (b) Stuffing Salt and pepper 1 onion sliced thinly or chapped 1 tsp margarine 1 tbsp melted margarine 4 tbsp hard cooked rice or bread crumb salt and white pepper Pinch of thyme and curry. and dry. Toss with fat from chicken and the remaining ground spices. Combine all the stuffing ingredients. 1 stalk chopped celery Method 1. and mix thoroughly and stir fry for 2 minutes. 3. 3.
Cook for about 3minutes on each side and drain before serving. Cut slits on the sides of the fish. Dredge the fillet lightly with the seasoned flour. B) SPAGHETTI SAUCE 3 tbsp vegetable oil 1 small onion ½ tsp ginger (grated) 1 tsp garlic (grated) 4 firm tomato-cubed 1 tbsp flour Method 300m1 water/broth 1 tsp sugar (optional) 1 tbsp vinegar ½ green pepper 1 small can tomato paste pepper and salt to taste . 2. 2. Serve with rice pilaf. 4. Remove from heat when brown.29 1 egg. ketchup and mixed vegetable side dish. 3. 3. 1 egg(beaten) ½ tsp thyme ½ seasoning cube ½ tbsp crushed cracker/bread crumbs ½ green pepper-diced Method 1. 5. slightly beaten 1 sachet fish seasoning 4 tbsp Dry breadcrumbs Vegetable oil for frying Chopped parsley leaves for garnishing Method 1. 2. Pour vegetable oil over them in a grilling dish and grill over direct heater or bake in the oven. sliced Salt and seasoning cube Pinch thyme 1 tbsp margarine 1small pepper. FISH BALLS IN SPAGHETTI SAUCE a) FISH BALLS 500g minced beef or cooked flaked fish 2 tbsp dried onion. Combine all the ingredients in a bowl. Slice fish open and wash fish thoroughly and dry. seasoning cube. chopped 1 stalk celery. 1 onion. Combine the seasoned flour and fish seasoning. Garnish with tomato wedges and serve with potatoes chips. mixing well. mix up thoroughly and shape into balls looking like large walnuts. curry thyme. Secure the cavity with toothpick. Fill the cavity of the fish with stuffing. Baste fish frequently and turn over to prevent sticking. white pepper. Grill over medium direct heat in oven for 1 ½ hours. Remove any small bones from the fillet. Heat the vegetable oil in a large frying pan and fry the fillets on both sides until golden brown. 4. Combine all the ingredients for stuffing and toss them lightly over heat for 2 minutes. chopped Method 1. Now dip each filler into the beaten egg to coat or use a pastry brush to brush the egg onto the fillets. Coat the egg-washed fillets into the seasoned flour again. Baste the fish with melted margarine and seasonings. GRILLED STUFFED FISH 1 whole fish with back bone and gills removed 2 tbsp melted margarine Salt.
Drain well and serve onto a flat dish. chopped ½ tsp thyme 1 tsp fish seasoning 4 tbsp margarine (melted) 4tbsp bread crumbs or hard boiled rice. Add the green pepper. 2. Place in a frying pan and steam for 2-3 minutes. Use as stuffing for the cavity of the fish. carrot. cornstarch. Turn occasionally prevent sticking. 3. curry. chopped pepper and celery. Remove from heat after 2 minutes. Now mix remaining margarine. curry and egg white. ½ tsp seasoning onion. Put the garlic ginger. Wash very well and leave to dry (drain off water) 2. 4. Clean fish thoroughly. Add the sugar and season with salt. Add 2 tbsp water. Gradually add the vinegar to flour mixture and stir into the pot of sauce. Fill the cavity of the fish with the prepared stuffing. 2. In a bowl. Lace with toot picks to secure the fish cavity. ginger. Debone cooked fish completely and flake very well 2. Apply heat and cook briefly. 3. Serve with ketchup as filling for sandwich. Turn down the heat and cover the frying pan and cook for5 minutes. Shape into small patties and fly in preheated vegetable oil. Serve over the grilled fish balls on cooked spaghetti. Make diagonal slits on each side of the fish and brush the margarine and seasoning mixture all over the cavity and external surfaces of the fish. Brown on both sides. Mix the fish together with onion. Baste fish again with remaining melted margarine. oil and onion in a sauce pot. CELERY STUFFED FISH 1 whole frozen cracker 1 fresh pepper. 3. chopped ½ tsp curry ½ onion. thyme. Now allow patties to be properly cooked. Place in a baking tray d grill or barbecue over direct heat for about ½ hour. Cook for 3 minutes. salt. Sprinkle salt and pepper at the top. 4. chopped 2-1 stales celery. Mix the flour and water in a bowl and set aside. and ½ tsp fish seasoning. BEEF GOULASH 1 kg tender beef (steak) 1 tsp grated garlic .30 1. stirring well. FRIED FISH PATI1ES 500g cooked flaked fish 2 tbsp corn starch 1 small onion-finely chopped salt to taste 1 tbsp grated carrot ½ tsp curry 1 tsp grated fresh ginger 2 tbsp vegetable oil 1 egg white Method 1. 3. FRENCH FRIED EGGS 3 eggs Salt and pepper vegetable oil for deep frying Method 1. Serve with grilled sausage and toast for breakfast. ½ seasoning cube and pepper. Garish with the tomato slices or chopped parsley. Heat oil in a deep frying pan and carefully break the eggs n e by one into the fairly deep hot oil. 5. 6. fresh chopped tomatoes and the paste. Method 1. Shape each egg with the frying spoon so as to enclose the yn1k in crisply fried white. split through to remove the backbone and intestines plus gills. combine 1 tbsp melted margarine hard boiled rice.
4. parsley. 4. Insert tooth picks in each round and arrange them attractively in a patter. sliced. Stir well to get the beef and onion mixture to be evenly distributed.Heat the margarine in another pan and fry grated onion and green pepper lightly. Bring to boil. When cooked. . SAUSAGE ROUNDS 1 packet of beef sausages (10 pieces) Ketch-up Method Put sausage in a baking or grilling dish. Transfer these into another stock pot and add the remaining ingredients.31 2 large onions 2 tbsp margarine 1 bay leaf salt and pepper to taste 2 tbsp tomato paste 250m1 beef stock or water Method 1. Serves 10-15. Cut beef into 1 inch cubes. 2. slightly beaten 4 tbsp fish stock or water 1 tablsp chopped onion ½ medium gated onion ltbsp chopped parsley 2 tbsp / ¼ of green pepper chopped 1 tbsp flour ½ tsp hot pepper and grated ginger ½ can tomato puree salt to taste Veg oil for frying Method 1. the fish stock and pepper. 3. 2. spaghetti). 90g sliced green beans cooked 60g peas cooked oil for frying Method 1. Dot with Ketchup if desired. chopped 15g/1 tbsp flour/corn starch 450ml beef stock Cooked beef/ chicken. Add the onions and garlic and brown them lightly. Add blended fish mixture. Serve as hors d’oeuvres. FISH-RICE FINGERS IN TOMATO SAUCE l50g fish.End flaked end rice combined the egg chopped onion. 3. mixing well. pealed and diced 1 small onion. Heat. grated ginger. Simmer for 2-3 minutes. Set aside. cut each sausages into four or five rounds each. then turn down the heat very low and let the mixture simmer for about 1 hour or until meat is fork. cooked and flaked ½ tsp salt 150g cooked rice 2 tbsp fish stock or water 1 egg. 5. flour.Serve over the fish fingers or balls as appetizer. Set aside. cubed 2tsp curry paste salt and pepper to taste 3 fresh scent peppers.Form or mold in to small fingers or small balls and fry in hot oil until golden brown. 4. Grill or bake at moderate heart till done (about 15 minutes). Remove the bay leaf and serve over noodles (indomie. and salt. about 2 tbsp of the oil for frying and fry the beef until they arc browned on all sides. wash well and cook in the margarine in heavy sauce pot till brown. BEEF -VEGETABLE CURRY SAUCE 15g or 3 tsp margarine 1 carrot. Turn frequently to prevent bursting or burning. Add tomato puree.tender.
salt. Combine all the ingredients. 4. 3. Top each with ketchup as sauce. Add the chicken pieces and fry over moderate heat till brown. Garnish with onion rings and tomato wedges. stirring constantly to prevent burning. Add salt and steam for 10 minutes. diced . Make small nests of lettuce in cocktail glass or salad bowl and scoop the shrimp cocktail onto each. coat the cooled chicken pieces lightly.Mix flour with salt and pepper.Prepare the onions. cooked peas and beans and cook the sauce for 2 minutes. 6. seeded and diced 200g flour for dredging 1 green pepper. 5. wash and drain. salt and oil. TOMATO AND PEPPER FRIED CHICKEN 1.Add the garlic. 3. chopped 1 small onion. 4. Set aside. Chop the shrimps into cubes. Set aside. basting frequently. grated 1 large tomato Salt Method Cut chicken into 6 serving pieces. except the lettuce leaves. Stir in l tsp ketchup and mix well. 3.Remove chicken and sauce into a serving dish and sprinkle with chopped curry leaf to garnish as accomplishment to curried rice or potato chips. 2. Put the chicken pieces in a pot and pour the blended ingredients over the chicken. Toss very well and steam for about 30 minutes or marinate for about 1 hour. Add the seasonings. Coo k until tomatoes are softened. Serve over plain boiled rice or noodles. Place tomato and remaining ingredients except oil and salt in a food processor and blend well. Place chicken in a grill pan including the marinade and cook chicken for about 10 minutes on each side. Flake excess flour off. Using the seasoned flour. cook until thick.5kg broiler chicken 4 tomatoes. GRILLED CHICKEN/TURKEY 2 chicken/turkey breasts ½ tsp hot red pepper 3 tbsp vegetable oil 1 tsp grated garlic I tsp white pepper 1 tsp grated ginger 2 tsp chicken seasoning 1 tsp curry 1 small onion. Sprinkle on the flour and cook till the margarine and onion are golden brown. Garnish with chopped parsley. Remove from heat and leave to cool.Heat the oil in a large frying pan and when hot add the margarine. Cook slowly to soften. Set a side. finely chopped 1 tsp thyme I tsp grated garlic 100ml chicken or beef stock I tsp grated ginger salt to taste. Add the beef stock. Now add the fried beef. tomatoes. 5. Grill each side till golden brown. thinly sliced 6 tbsp vegetable oil 1 sweet red pepper. Push to one side of the pan. onion tomatoes and the other ingredients. SHRIMPS COCKTAIL Lettuce leaves (one per person) 1 cup dressed and cooked shrimps 4 tbsp chopped celery 2tbsp mayonnaise ½ tsp lemon juice 1 tsp ketchup pinch hot red pepper Method 1. in a bowl. peppers and curry leaf. Method 1. Melt the margarine in a medium saucepan and add the onion and carrots.32 2. thinly sliced 5 tbsp margarine 1 fresh scent pepper. curry pepper and I seasoning cube. CURRIED PORK STEW 500g lean pork (in 2inch cubes) 4 large tomatoes. 2. Cut chicken into serving sizes and place in a sauce pan.
Melt margarine in a small frying pan. using a wooden spoon. diced. They are served in a variety of dishes that may be used for lunch. remove the bay leaf and add green pepper. prepared as omelettes and mainly served as breakfast and snack dishes. poached. Allow to set briefly and then/stir slowly with fork to let the egg turn into large pieces or lumps. Serve as the protein dish with buttered bread. Serve as a breakfast dish. Cook for 1 minute longer. To provide protein in meals To thicken sauces To garnish prepared foods To serve as raising agents for sponge cakes To glaze pastry Eggs can be fried. Garnish with avocado dices tossed over the stew. SHRIMP-SCRAMBLED EGG TOAST SANDWICH 150g cooked shrimps 2 tbsp chopped onion 6 tbsp chopped cucumber 4 tbsp mayonnaise 2 tomatoes sliced into 6 2 eggs (scrambled) Method 1.2tbsp vegetable oil 1 large onion (in 2 inch pieces) 1 large green pepper (in 2 inch cubes) 1 ½ tsp curry powder 1 ½ tsp grated ginger 1 bay leaf 33 3 tbsp tomato paste/puree 140m1 beef stock 1 tbsp vinegar salt and pepper to taste 1 seasoning cube 1 avocado pear. Cut into bread triangles for appetizers/snack or serve as sandwich for breakfast dish. milk. 2.When meat is completely cooked. Heat the margarine and pour into mixture. Gently beat eggs. scrambled. Stirring in beef stock/water and vinegar and add bay leaf. Method 1. 4. 2. 3.Spread between two slices of bread and top each with two tomato slices to obtain 4 sandwiches in all. Season to taste.Bring the mixture to boil and add fried port. SCRAMBLED EGGS 2 eggs 2 table sp milk/water 1 ½ tabsp margarine Pinch of salt METHOD 1. Remove to a plate. 4.Remove from heat and serve with plain boiled rice and sweet corn. Remove and place a plate. Heat the oil in a frying pan and brown and pork in two batches. covered.Combine the onion cucumber. . 2. 3. supper and deserts. chopped shrimps/scrambled egg and mayonnaise in a bowled. Serve with cucumber salad in addition. wash and leave to drain. 3. 5.Add more oil if necessary and onion.Cover each sandwich and toast in the oven or a sandwich bread toaster. pepper and salt together. Chopped onion and green pepper can be added. EGGS Eggs are used. Cook slowly for about 20-30 minutes. curry tomatoes and paste. Mix well.Cut pork into cubes.
SCRAMBLED EGGS WITH FISH
1 tbsp melted margarine 1 cup flaked cooked fish (tuna or sardine) 6 eggs, beaten 1 tbsp water Salt and pepper to taste 1 ½ green pepper, (chopped) 1 small onion, chopped 2 tbsp margarine 6 slices bread (toasted) 6 grilled sausages
1.Heat margarine in a frying pan. Drain the fish, bread into small pieces and sauté in the margarine. Beat eggs very well, and add the onion and green pepper to the fish. 2.Add the 2 tbsp margarine and four beaten eggs over fish and stir slowly with wooden spoon or fork. When eggs are cooked, removed from heat. 3.Serve with buttered toasted bread with grilled sausage by scrambled eggs. FOLDED OMELETS 2 eggs Pinch of salt. 2 tbsp. Margarine/.veg. Oil
Method 1.Beat eggs and use a non-sticky fly pan or heat small margarine in frying pan. 2.Pour 1/3 of beaten eggs into center of frying pan and let spread to bottom of pan. Do not stir. 3.Let the underside get slightly brown then flip over for the other side to get brown. 4.Place flat on plate and fill with mixture of fried onion tomato and corned beef like pancakes. 5.Roll up the omelettes like crepes and garnish with tomato slice. 6.Serve with bread in a breakfast dish. Makes 3 omelette. Omelettes can be filled with jam or fried mixed vegetables. CORNED BEEF AND TOMATO OMELETTE 3 tbsp corned beef ½ green pepper, seeded and diced ½ a medium onion 2 fresh scent peppers, diced parsley to garish 3 tbsp margarine 1-2 tomato, seeded and diced 3 eggs, beaten Salt to taste Method 1. Portion the ingredients into three parts-one for each egg. Heat a medium/small frying pan and melt the margarine for portion. 2. Add a portion of the onion and green pepper and cook briefly to soften. 3. Mix the tomato and corned beef with one beaten egg, salt and scent pepper. 4. Pour into the pan with the onion and green pepper and stir gentle to mix all the ingredients. 5. Cook until the egg is set lightly brown use flat spoon to remove from heat. Repeat the same method of the remaining two eggs and other ingredients. 6. Garnish with parsley leaves or tomato wedges. FRIED EGGS 1 egg per person 2 tbsp margarine Method 1. Melt a little fat in a frying pan. 2. Break each washed egg directly into a saucer and slid into the slightly heated fat. This is carefully done for yoke to remain intact. 3. Season with salt or pepper sprinkle on the egg and cook gently without stirring until lightly set. Do not turn the egg. 4. Remove from -heat and serve half-cooked on a plate or flat dish. Garnish with fried tomato slices and serve as breakfast or topping on rice dishes.
BRAISED BEEF 400g steak beef I medium onion 2 tbsp parsley chopped ½ tsp salt ½ tsp pepper 1 seasoning cube 500ml water 3 tbsp vegetable oil ½ tsp thyme ½ tsp curry ½ tsp grated ginger
Method 1. Cut up the beef, wash properly and set aside. 2. Mix the beef, onion and the other ingredients in a bowl. 3. Heat oil in a sauce pot over medium heat. 4. Spread beef mixture all over the bottom of the pot. 5. 5 Cook until beef is brown. Turning frequently with wooden spatula for about 10-15 minutes. 6. Reduce heat, stir in the water Cover the pot and cook until beef is tender and water is almost absorbed. Serve with herb rice or oven jollof rice. CHICKEN AND RICE WITH CURRY SAUCE ½ Cut-up broiler chicken 100g flour 2 tbsp soy sauce/maggi/meat seasoning 1 cup cooked peas 2 tsp grated ginger 3 cups cooked rice ½ tsp pepper curry sauce 1 avocado pear (for garnishing) Method 1. Cut the boiler into serving pieces. Mix the meat seasoning or soy sauce, ginger and pepper into chicken. 2. Steam chicken for about 15 minutes, turning occasionally for seasoning to be absorbed. 3. Remove from heat, refrigerate to cook for about 1 hour, (marinating). 4. Heat the oil in a fry pan. Remove the chicken, reserving the marinade (extracts from the streamed chicken). Cook chicken in the hot oil till brown. 5. Mix the cooked rice, peas and the reserved marinade. Cover and cook for 5 minutes: Serve With curry sauce over chick en. Garnish rice with avocado pear slices. POACHED EGGS 4 fresh eggs 1 firm tomato ¼ tsp salt 1 tbsp white vinegar
Method 1. Boil water to a simmering temperature in a shallow frying pan. 2. Wash eggs very well and keep aside. 3. Add the white vinegar to the boiling to make the white more tender and prevent it from spreading when the egg is place in the simmering water. 4. Now carefully break the eggs one by one into a sauce and into the simmering water in separate position. 5. Simmer for approximately 2-3 minutes until lightly set. 6. Remove carefully from water using a perforated spoon sections for water to drain off. Sprinkle the salt on the poached eggs and garnish with tomato for water to drain off. Chapter Four CEREALS Cereals are basically important far their fibre, protein, B-vitamins, calories and iron content. They are a major source of protein in vegetarian diets. A significant component of cereal is starch. This accounts for the swelling that make place in cereal when these’ are cooked. Various types of cereals are available for use in meal preparation and they vary in their characteristics, taste, cooking times and yield. Maize, wheat oats and ride, are among the most commonly eaten cereals. Maize is world’s third most important cereal and popularly known as com. It is available in fresh or dried forms. It can be prepared as main dishes snacks or side dishes. Maize can be obtained in processed or ready to cook form. When using corn or maize, ensure that they are well shelled from the cob and that the kernels are bright
and plumpy Com starch is available for use to thicken sauces and breakfast meals. Rice is available in regular and parboil forms. It is basically carbohydrate but has little protein and contains some amount of thiamine and mineral. It is the worlds second most important grain. Rice, like other cereals, increase about three times in volume during cooking because it has the ability to absorb moisture. In cooking rice one measure of regular rice requires about two and half measures of liquid. The parboiled variety requires more while the pre cooked type requires less liquid. The long grains are less likely to sick together during cooking than the short. A small amount of oil ( ½ teasp oil to 3 cup of rice) added to the cooking water will prevent the rice from sticking, foaming and boiling over. Rice may be cooked in the oven or on surface cooker. Wheat is a major grain from which flour, breakfast cereals and pasta products are produced. Cereals and pasta products (Macaroni, spaghetti, and noodles) are processed and enriched and made ready-to- eat or partially cooked. MACARONI WITH CHILI 300g ground beef 1 large onion 1 large green pepper, chopped 4 fresh tomatoes chopped ½ can kidney beans 4 fresh chili pepper sliced 1 tsp grated garlic 2-3 stalks celery or leeks 2 seasoning cubes 1 small can tomato puree 1 pack uncooked elbow macaroni 2-4 tsp groundred pepper ¼ tsp paprika 1 tsp salt 6 tbsp vegetable oil 1 tsp grated ginger ½ tsp curry
Method 1. Cook macaroni, drain and set aside. Heat the oil in a sauce pan and stir beef and onion. Cook until beef and onion are brown. 2. Stir in tomatoes, beans and with the liquid and the remaining ingredients. Heat to boiling and reduce heat. 3. Stir in the cooked macaroni, cover the pot and simmer. Stir constantly till macaroni is tender about 5-10 minutes. Serve hot. FRIED RICE 2 cups uncooked long grain rice 2 cups chicken broth/stock 2 cups water. 4 tbsp. Marg./veg. Oil 2 tsp. salt 2 tsp. soy sauce 3 gloves garlic- minced 2 tsp. chopped ginger 3 large carrots-diced ½ can cooked peas 1 large onion, sliced or chopped 4 green pepper-chopped 1 tsp. curly 1 tsp. thyme 2 seasoning cubes 200g liver-cooked, diced and fried 2 stalks celery
Assorted vegetable-diced and parboiled carrots, sliced cabbage, chopped green beans, sliced green tomatoes, chopped red pepper. Shrimps cleaned and parboiled. Method 1. Put the washed rice into a saucepan. 2. Add chicken broth, minced garlic, ginger and seasoning cube and let it be cooked but not soft or sticky. 3. When cooked, remove from heat and set aside. In a large, frying pan, put margarine or oil and onion slices and green pepper. Cook these lightly. Add cabbage, cooked peas and carrots, celery and remaining salt. Stir fry for 5 minutes. 4. Add the diced and fried liver, shrimps and rice alternately. 5. Add the soy sauce a little at a time, stirring constantly. 6. Stir fry for 5-6 minutes till all soy sauce is well distributed. 7. Rice should have pleasing colour with assorted vegetables. Keep in warm oven uncovered if not served immediately. Serve with spiced or curried thicken. Makes 6 servings.
Remove front heat immediately and pour the vegetables over the cooked rice. celery. Sort and wash rice. 6. Slice the onion and cut green pepper in long strips. 3. 2. Fry the liver chunks lightly and set aside. salt. Add the rice and fry (3 minutes) with the onion until the raw rice is lightly golden brown in colour. 2. Pour into a sauce pan or baking dish. salt to taste and cook on top of cooker or oven till rice is cooked. Stir into the cooked rice. Leave it to-drain and dry a little bit. sliced. soy sauce. 5. peas and carrots. 2. Stir in vegetables (leeks. mushrooms and carrots. 3. Method 1. Stir in one tbsp of the vegetable oil each for salt and proceed to cook for about 20 minutes. 4. green beans arid carrots lightly 5. wash and cook rice with the chicken broth or water for about 30 minutes. Oil 2 stalk sleeks / Ginger and garlic (I tsp each) 2 tbsp curry leaf ½ bay leaf I seasoning cube I large onion sliced I tsp curry ½ can peas 4 small fresh pepper Method 1. OVEN FRIED RICE 3 cups uncooked long grain rice 6 cups of chicken broth/water I large onion sliced 15 medium chunks for liver (cooked) 1 ½ tsp white pepper 2 large carrots 1 large green peppers 2 stems spring onion 1 stem celery 1 tsp soy sauce I tsp curry ¼ cap or lean peas 2 ripe but firm tomatoes salt to taste 3 tbsp soy or veg. curry and garlic. In a large frying pan. Marg. Serve warm with braised beef and suitable sauce. Add the beef stock. This may be served immediately with grilled fish and white sauce. 4. 5. celery. green pepper. CURRIED RICE 2 cups uncooked rice 5 cups water 2 tsp curry 1 small can peas/cut green beans 2 chicken seasoning cube 2 carrots shredded/diced 4 tbsp vegetable oil/margarine ½ tsp white pepper salt to taste 1 medium chopped onion 1 tsp chopped garlic 4 red chill peppers. heat the remaining oil and fry the onion. Heat the 3 tbsp vegetable oil and stir-fry the onion slices celery. In a fry pan. peas and fresh curry leaf and pepper) and heat for 2 minutes. seasoning. Oil oil for flying liver Method 1. tomatoes and spring onion. Wash rice and place in a sauce pot./veg.37 SPICY RICE PILAF 2 cups long grain rice (uncooked) 2 cups chicken/beef stock 2 cups water 4-5 tbsp. 6. Serves 8-10. 4. . 3. flake for 20 minutes and serve warm with curry sauce. Put the rice meal in a baking dish and the fried liver chunks on lop. Add the cooked rice. Rice should be firm and non-sticky when cooked. Sort. Crush the seasoning cubes and add to the rice. Pour the water over the rice and season with white pepper. Toss the rice and vegetable well and simmer for 3 minutes. Chop tomatoes into large cubes. Makes 8 servings. Chop the spring onion. put oil or margarine and onion slices and fry lightly (5 minutes). Season with curry salt and pepper and mix together. chilli pepper.
curry. 2. Add the beef stock or brown seasoning cube. As the rice is getting tender without being soft. Reserve one tomato and one pepper and grind the remaining ones. Pour in the beef/broth water. Toss in the cooked noodles and heat through. 4. Cook the rice in the fat ova. Bring to boil and add the rice and the seasonings. 5. Drain well and rinse under hot water to remove starch. 7. Steam for about 20 minutes till liquid is almost absorbed. Set aside. Remove from heat an serve hot garnished with tomato wedges or egg slices. Serve with fried fish or beef and steamed leafy vegetable as a side dish. 5. 3. salt and white pepper. stirfrying for about 5 minutes without browning. Toss the vegetables in the pan continuously. cover the pan and cook gently for about 25-30 minutes on surface cooker or oven without stirring. JOLLOF RICE 3 cups uncooked rice 4 large fresh tomatoes 3 medium fresh hot peppers ½ tsp top ginger ½ tsp chopped garlic ½ tsp thyme 1 large onion 3 tbsp margarine 150ml vegetable oil 6 cups beef broth/water 2 seasoning cubes ½ tsp curry salt to taste Method 1.38 BRAISED RICE 3 cups uncooked rice 6 cups chicken stock or beef 1 large onion-chopped 1 green pepper-seeded and chopped 2 tsp white pepper Salt to taste 2 stalks leeks 100g cooked kidney beans 1 seasoning cube 3 carrots-diced or grated 2 tsp grated ginger 2 tsp grated garlic 1 tsp curry 1 can green peas 6 tbsp vegetable oil or margarine Method 1. Steam for 10 minutes. Toss in 1 tbsp of the oil to prevent sticking. pepper and onion rings. Heat the vegetable oil in a sauceboat and fry part of the slice onion and ground ingredients lightly. 6. Stir well. curry and salt and cook for 2 minutes. Serves 8-10. Heat the oil or margarine in a saucepan raid add the washed rice. Stir in sliced tomatoes. stir in any 6. 3. . Slice the onion and chop the remaining tomato and pepper. Wash rice and let it drain of 2. remaining spices and the chopped veg and peas 7. Moi-rnoi and fried ripe plantain chips can he used as side dishes as well. 5. thinly sliced 4 carrots. Boil water and place the vegetable in the salted water. Heat a frying pan and add the vegetable. Cook the noodles in boiling salted water for about 4-5 minutes. 4. sliced METHOD 1. peeled and sliced 4 red chiIli pepper. Cover the pot and steam for about 2 minutes. Leave to drain dry. 6. ORIENTAL NOODLES 225g noodles (spaghetti. Serve immediately with grilled beef.medium heat. Mix well and add margarine when almost cooked. wash rice and set aside to drain. Stir in the tomato paste and cook till sauce is almost dehydrated. Sort. 2. 4. macaroni noodles etc) 5 tbsp vegetable oil 2 garlic clove (grated) 4 green peppers. 3. diagonally sliced 4 tbsp soy sauce 2tsp curry 225g sliced cabbage sliced salt to taste 2 stalks leeks/celery flesh prawns (optional) 1 onion. Combine the soy sauce. Blanch for 2 minutes and drain from the hot water.
6. 3. Wash rice in cook water and leave to drain. salt. Cook and stir the beef in the vegetable oil until golden brown. When melted. curry leaf. curry. 5. 6. 4. and green chili pepper. 7. leeks. Stir in the rice and heat to boiling. Remove from heat and set aside. 2. 2. 4. Stir in water. 5. soy sauce and salt to taste. Stir in the rice. Add finely chopped herbs (parsley onion. SPANISH (OVEN JOLLOF) RICE 3 cups uncooked regular rice 1 medium onion (sliced) 6 cups water 3 cubes chicken seasoning cube I tsp curry powder ½ tsp ground ginger 1 tin tomato paste 1 green pepper chopped 1 tsp salt 1 tsp ground nutmeg 3 tbsp vegetable oil 1 tbsp margarine 4 fresh tomatoes 4 fresh red/chilli peppers 2 stalk celery chopped Method 1. Pour into a baking dish. nutmeg etc). margarine and onion into the remaining oil over medium heat until rice is lightly brown. then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. spring onion etc) I tsp dried and crushed bay leaf 2 stalks of leeks 1 cup beef or chicken stock 2 stalks celery 2 Chicken seasoned cubes 2 tbsp margarine 4 medium green chilli pepper sliced 1 large spring onion 4 tbsp vegetable oil Method 1. salt and pinch white pepper. cover and cook in the oven. 3. bay leaf. until the rice is getting tender. Heat to boiling. Cover and leave to steam about 3 minutes and serve garnished with eggs and braised beef or grilled fish. 2. Stir in the green and red pepper. Place vegetable oil in a saucepan and fry the onion. 5. Stirring gently. ground fresh tomato and pepper to make a sauce. . 4. Cover the pan and cook gently for about 25 minutes without stirring. Now add the water. seasoning cube. CURRIED BEEF AND RICE CASSEROLE 3 cups uncooked long grain rice 1 medium onion 1 instant chicken seasoning cube 3 tbsp vegetable oil 2 medium stalks celery (diagonally sliced) 1 tbsp margarine (chopped) 2 tbsp soy sauce 2 cups cut-up cooked beef (l inch pieces) 6 cup boiling water 1 medium green pepper 2 carrots (diced) salt to taste l00g cooked peas 1 medium sweet red pepper Method 1. till rice is getting tender. add the water. chicken stock. 3. Serve garnished with green and sweet red pepper. Heat the foil in saucepan and add the margarine. celery and cook covered for 5 minutes. until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed (add small amount of water if necessary to make rice well cooked. stirring constantly. margarine and seasonings (ginger. chicken cube. Wash rice and set aside.39 HERB RICE PILAF 3 cups long grain rice 1 tsp grated garlic 6 cups boiling water 1 tsp grated ginger Pinch salt/or to taste ½ tsp curry Chopped fresh herbs (parsley. When the rice is light brown. add the washed rice over medium heat. green spring onion. Stir in the tomato paste and cook for 5 minutes stirring frequently. fried beef carrots.
3. PALM JUICE (BANGA) RICE 800g or ¼ basket palm fruits 3 cups of short grain rice 10 cups water 1 seasoning cube 15 large fresh shrimps/prawns 1 ½ ground pepper/2 fresh pepper salt to taste 1 medium onion Method 1. 4. POPPING CORN 6 tbsp popcorn Salt 3 tsp vegetable oil Sugar (optional) Method 1. wash the rice. Simmer for 10 minutes and serve hot. sprinkle immediately with sugar or salt and leave to cool. Remove from heat and serve hot. ground pepper pinch salt 1 tbsp sugar 4 tbsp palm oil Vegetable oil for frying Method 1. filter and squeeze out all the liquid from the grated coconut mixture. Makes 10 Servings. 7. Mix well and continue cooking for about 45 minutes or until rice is soft and uniformly moistened 6. 4. 4. Wash and grate coconut into fine flakes. Pound in a mortar and use the water to get juice from the fruits. stirring until the corn starts cracking and bring about the white fluffy part. Put into a pot and heat to boiling. 2. sugar. 5. . Discard the chaff and pour the coconut milk into a pot. Blend in the palm oil. Stir in the chopped fresh pepper. Place corn pepper. Remove from heat. Fry until slightly brown. Cook over a medium heat. salt and water in a boil. Remove from oil. 3. drain and serve with coconut as snack. Put in a bowl and add all the water. 2. Serve hot on a flat dish. Wash rice in hot water to remove some starch. Roil the shrimps in a little bit of water. 3. Season with about 1 teaspoon salt and add the dry or chopped fresh pepper. Meanwhile. Heat the milk and bring to boil. Season with salt and seasoning cube. Top with sardines or fried fish/liver/prawns and garnish with tomato slices. Using a fine sieve. Serves 10. 5. mold mixture into small balls and drop into hot oil. Wash rice and add to the boiling milk. Stir uniformly into the rice. 2. green pepper and celery. chop the fresh pepper and onion and clean the shrimps. Method 1. 6. Put oil in a pot and place the corn in the pot 2.40 6. FRIED CORN CAKES 2 cups dry corn 200m1 water ½ tsp. Stir in the peas. Continue stirring for the corn to he properly popped and cooked. Ground corn into fine crumbs. Cover pot and cook for about 45 minutes or until rice is soft and moist. 4. COCONUT RICE 1 ½ large coconut flesh 3 cups short grain rice (uncooked) 8 cups of water 3 large fresh red peppers (chopped) 1 tin sardine/fried fish 1 seasoning cube salt to taste 10 large prawns-fried Method 1. Cook the palm fruits until they are soft. Heat oil. Blend well for mixture to mix well. 3. broth of the shrimps and arrange the shrimps over the thick top of the rice. Add rice to the boiling liquid. seasoning cube and Onion.
Mix part of the water and 250g of the plantain flour to form a paste in a bowl. 3.41 2. 5. Wash and clean liver. 3. clop onions. Noted: 1 tablespoon sugar may be added to sweeten the fritters. 2. 5. stirring gently. Stir in the cooked sweet corn. agbono or mixed vegetable soup. FRESH CORN FRITTERS 3 fresh corn cobs 1 onion Vegetable oil for deep frying salt to taste 2 fresh peppers 2 tbsp palm oil Method 1. 4. Shell the corn and wash well. Stir the corn well and drop mixture in small spoonfuls into the deep hot fat fry till golden brown. Cook over medium heat for 5minutcs. Season to taste of necessary and heat through for about 3 minutes. 6. Stir very well to avoid lumping in the foo-foo. add the grated liver. Meanwhile. Remove rice from heat if tender but not soft. 2. 7. leeks and green pepper 5. margarine and chopped parsley. Heat vegetable oil to faint smoking point. Chop the peppers and onion and set aside. Stir in the cooked rice. Serve hot with spicy fried chicken and cucumber salad as a main dish. rice and yam flour foo-foo as in plantain. added salt and sprinkle the clean rice in the boiling water. Cook and leave to cool. Cook rice with stock and salt to taste. PLANTAIN FLOUR FOO-FOO (AMALA) 500g plantain flour 750rnl water Method 1. Use a wooden spoon to stir in the plantain flour mixture into remaining boiling. Continue to stir vigorously until the foo-foo is thick and begins to leave the sides of the pot. fluffing up to loosen the rice grains. 6. DOUGHNUT AND SANDWICHES . 4. Serve warm with ewedu. Boil the 6 cups of water. Add 2 tablespoons palm oil and mix well until the oil binds the corn mixture. Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Drain and serve with coconut as snacks. Note: Prepare corn foo-foo. Remove any fat from liver and chop or grate into small bits. Stir very well all over and turn into a dish. Serve onto a flat dish and top with curried pork stew or tomato and pepper fried chicken sauce. seasonings and chopped vegetables. 4. celery. 3. Chapter Five BREAD. LIVER RICE PILAF 3 cups uncooked rice 6 cups (1 ½ litre) beef stock 6 tbsp vegetable oil Salt and white pepper 1 seasoning cube 1 kg beef/chicken liver 1 stalk leeks 1 stalk celery 1 green pepper 2 medium onions 2tbsp grated garlic METHOD 1. Sprinkle a little water over the foo-foo and cover the pot for 2 minutes to allow the foo-foo to be thoroughly cooked. Combine all the ingredients except palm oil in a mortar or place in a blender and grind coarsely. Keep stirring for 2 minutes. Stir in the remaining plantain flour a little at a time for the foo-foo to be evenly mixed. melon-vegetable. 4. Heat the water to boiling in a pot. Cover pot and boil until cooked hut grain are separate. 2. 3.
Weigh and measure all the ingredients set aside. Nutmeg and other flavoring can be added to bread to improve flavor. 2. 3. Stir or knead every fifteen minutes. If liquid milk is to be used.42 Bread are loaves made of soft doughy that are leavened with yeast. Kneading is important for the yeast to be distributed and allow the development of carbon dioxide for adequate fermentation. 5. The dough should be allowed to proof for at least 1 hour or until the until dough is double or triple its original size. eggs and milk than the plain bread. yeast. Soften the yeast in lukewarm water. salt. Cover and put in a warm place for hour. 5. Bake until golden brown. When baked. Bread loaves are baked in high temperature (about -4500 degrees) and may be painted or glazed with egg wash or milk immediately before baking. Combine margarine. aid fermentation and contribute to the colour. Doughnuts and bread rolls are sweet doughs that contain yeast and are richer in sugar. while low temperature retards the fermentation process. it should be sealed first to prevent the enzymes in it from reducing the fermentation process. When dissolving yeast ensure that lukewarm water is used. water or other moisture. blend remaining sugar. Proof for another 15 minutes. 3. Therefore some quantity of granulated sugar should be added to yeast when dissolving yeast. Method 1. part of the flour. In a large bowl. After 1 hour shape into a round loaf and place in well greased pans. Yeast is the raising agent and it grows best in lukewarm water. If the temperature of the water is too high. Fat is used to soften and lubricate the dough. fat and dissolved yeast. fat. PLAIN BREAD 500g flour 2 ½ tsp thy yeast 250ml lukewarm water 60g (4 tablespoon) margarine/Oil 100g (5-6 tbsp) sugar ½tsp salt METHOD 1. They are made from flour. Add dissolved yeast to flour and mix the mixture to a soft dough. 6. 2. moist and tender in texture. Let rise till dough is well risen above the pan edges (double or three time size). Knead the dough. the yeast will be destroyed. Cover with a slightly wet towel in a warm place. Sugar is used to sweeten bread and to aid the process of fermentation. yeast. Allow to m for 10 minutes. A variety of fillings can be used. The dough can be baked or fried. More yeast is often used but they require the same fermentation or proofing process. roast bread should be soft. sugar and fat. sugar and salt in warm water. add half of the sugar and cover for about 10 minutes till the yeast is dissolved and starts rising in bubbles. Makes 4 loaves. Reserve 2 tbsp flour for kneading. Milk is used in some bread mixture in lace of water to increase the nutritive value. Bake in pre-heated oven for 40 minutes. 4. Doughnuts and rolls should have good shape and colour and the texture must be smooth and light. Gradually add the flour to make a stiff dough. remove from pan unto wire racks to cool. 4. WHOLE WHEAT BREAD 500grams whole wheat flour 2 ½ tsp yeast 1 tbsp sugar 2 tbsp (30 grams) margarine ½ tsp salt 250m1 warm water . Yeast bread may be mixed in one of the basic ways: The straight dough method entails all the ingredients are mixed at one time and the sponge method consists of two mixing and two fermentation processes. sugar and fat are mixed and allowed to ferment. Dissolve yeast. Shape into loaves and place in well greased pans. With the sponge method. Bread is completely baked when it has gain the light brown colour and has shrunk from the side of the pan. Salt can be added to yeast bread to contribute to flavour and aid elasticity and firming of the dough. Then the mixture is combined with the remainder of the ingredients and second fermentation is allowed. 7. Knead again on floured board until smooth and elastic. Knead lightly and keep covered for 10-15 minutes. Dry milk is more often used. milk and flour in a bowl.
reserving 4 tbsp. Dissolve yeast in lukewarm water. Process whole wheat grains into flour or purchase whole w heat flour. 7. 4. YEAST DOUGHNUT 300 grams flour 4-6 tbsp sugar . Place in a greased bowl and grease top of dough. Place the bowl of dough in a warm place to rise for about 30 minutes. Mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon to obtain a soft dough. 7.43 Method 1. Sieve the flour and salt into a bowl and rub in the fat. 5. Mix sugar. 6. 2. soften than that of plain bread. A mixed whole meal bread can be made to be lighter by using half plain flour and half whole wheat flour. Dissolve the yeast and sugar in the warm water. 3. Knead again slightly on a floured board and place in a greased bread loaf pan with cover or shape into balls in any baking pan. Turn out on lightly floured surface knead and shape dough into inches wide squares of about 2 inch thickness. Makes 15 rolls. 6. Place each in well greased queen’s cake pans. 8. fat and whole meal flour in a bowl and set aside. Cover and let rise for about 20 minutes.for 15-20 minutes. salt. 5. Brush top lightly with egg wash and bake at 3000 or gas mark 3. Dissolve the yeast and sugar with the warm milk. Mix the flour and the rest ingredients. Bake in a moderately pre-heated oven for 30-40 minutes. Grease a medium-sized cake pan and fill the dough into the pan. Cover and let rise (5minutes) 3. Cover and proof it a warm place until double in size. Mix and knead thoroughly till smooth and non-sticky to the hands 6. Method 1. BREAD ROLLS (DINNER ROLLS) 700gs flour 3 ½ tsp dry yeast 1½ tspsalt 50-l00gs sugar 2 beaten eggs 200gs margarine 300m1 warm water or milk ½ tsp nutmeg Method 1. 8. Mix well without kneading. Shape into balls. nutmeg currants and milk together. Gradually stir in the yeast mixture into the whole meal and fat mixture. Leave to proof in a warm place for another 20-30 minutes. 4. Note: Whole wheat bread is usually heavy. 5. Add the dissolved yeast and I mix in the beaten egg. Pre-heat oven and bake for 30-40 minutes after reducing the heat. LEMON BREAD (COFFEE/TEA CAKE) 3 tbsp margarine 1 tsp baking powder ½ tsp salt 125m1 milk 50gs sugar 1 ½ tsp lemon juice 2 eggs grated rind of 1 lemon 300gs flour ½ tsp nutmeg YEAST DOUGH CAKE 450gs flour 1 tbsp grated lemon and l00gs margarine orange rind l00gs sugar ½ tsp grated nutmeg 2 eggs pinch of salt 2 tsp dry yeast 75-80m1 warm milk 50gs currants. punch down. 2. 2. Add flour. 3. Cover and let it rise for about 5 minutes. Combine salt. Add yeast (now in bubbles ) and beaten eggs to the mixture. Place a warm place to rise till double in size (5045 minutes). 4.
add sugar and mix thoroughly. Roll doughnuts in a tray containing sugar. sugar. Deep fry the doughnuts till golden brown and drain off fat. Add milk and mux. salt and nutmeg into a bowl and rub in the margarine. Mold back each carefully to seal the hole. ECONOMY YEAST DOUGHNUT 500g flour 2 ½ tsp dry yeast 50g margarine 250m1 warm water 1 tsp salt 1 tsp nutmeg 100g sugar oil for deep frying Method 1. (See pp). Add the dissolved yeast and gradually mix in flour into a smooth dough. about 1 tsp in each hole. Add the melted margarine. prepare the dough according to the instructions for preparation. Serve as snack or tea dainty. Heat the vegetable oil in a deep frying pot to a moderate temperature. JAM FILLED DOUGHNUTS Basic doughnut recipe fruit jam (pineapple. Add beaten eggs. salt and nutmeg. cover and allow to prove until double in size. 3. Add one tbsp sugar to facilitate fermentation of the yeast. Sift the &y ingredients together and add to egg mixture. 3. 3. Cut with doughnut cutter that has a hole at the centre and place in a greased tray to proof. Then place dough in heated deep oil and fry until golden brown. Press a floured thumb into each doughnut and add a little jam. Dissolve the yeast in half of the warm water. 1-leat vegetable oil to faint smoking and fry doughnuts a few at a time until that are golden brown and ate well cooked. 2. Using a round cutter.44 1 ½ tsp dry yeast 3 tbsp margarine 1 egg 3-4 tbsp dry milk 85m1 warm water ½ tsp nutmeg vegetable oil for deep frying Method 1. . Combine milk and flour. 5. 4. Place in a warm place to rise till double in size. 9. Gather mixture lightly and set aside for 1 0 minutes. . Drain off an roll them in sugar if desired. 6. Sieve the flour. Let dough rise for another 40 minutes or till double in size.. Slightly beat eggs in mixing bowl. 2. 4. roll ot dough to Y2 inch thickness and cut out round shapes. strawberry etc) vegetable oil for deep frying Method 1. Roll the cooked doughnut on granulated or icing sugar. Tack each firmly with lightly wet fingers. Divide the dough into round doughnut shapes without hole al the centre. Turn dough into a flavored board and knead briefly. Beat dough with the hand and knead thoroughly till dough is smooth and moderately soft. Leave in a warm place to prove until they are well risen (double in size) 6. 8. Roll out to floured board 1 or inch thickness. BAKING POWDER DOUGHNUT 1egg 50 grams granulated sugar 75 grams melted margarine 2 ½ tsp baking powder 300 grams sifted flour 1 tsp vanilla 75ml milk/water ½ tsp salt 50g sifted flour (for rolling) 1 ½ tbsp powdered milk Method 1. 4. 2. 3. Take the basic doughnut recipe. to the mixture add to mixture. 1 . Knead lightly. ensuring that the heat is not too high or too low. Ad vanilla and mix well. Ferment yeast in half of the warm water. In a bowl mix margarine and the remaining warm water. Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and pour in the fermented yeast and remaining warm water. Place them on a greased tray and cover with thin polythene. 5. Place them on a well-floured tray. 7. 2. 4. 5.
Sandwiches may be served hot or cold. 2. Spread on crackers or toasted bread triangles. ensure that proper temperature is maintained in order to protect the food from becoming contaminated. They may be filled or spread with a variety of items such as meat. Corned beef or chopped egg can be used as alternative.45 5. CROISSANTS 500g flour 2 ½ tsp yeast 2 tbsp sugar 2 small eggs 1-2 sachet powdered milk 100ml warm water 100g soft margarine Method 1. Cut into 4-6 inches of the base of the triangle to form a crescent. When sandwich is planned for lunch. Drain and mash sardines. Party or tea sandwiches should be in small triangular sizes. roll out into ¼ inch thickness. b) The filling can be made from meat. Add the dissolved yeast. 5. Keep them covered and use as tea sandwich. Combine sardine and blend with remaining ingredients to desired consistency. SANDWICHES Sandwiches are meals that arc made of regular or special bread. corned beef. sardines. Knead to elastic-like texture. Add some currants/fruits if available before folding into crescent shapes. Mix all the siffed dry ingredients together in a small bowl. In using fillings. Drain off fat and roll in granulated sugar or top with favorite icing. especially when some items have to be chopped or mixed up. 7. smooth and pliable dough. 6. 3. Rub in the margarine. jams and other spreads. When dough is ready for proofing. jam. Fry in hot deep fat until golden brown on both sides. 4. Handle gently. d) A garnish should be added to a sandwich when it is ready to be served. Avoid making very large sizes. 3. 2. closed or multi-layered. fish. Day old bread is usually preferable. 8. Vegetables like lettuce tomato and onion slices may be added. boiled or fried egg. Makes 20 doughnuts. Place in a greased pan proof till double in size and brush with egg wash before placing in preheated oven to bake for 20-30 minutes. 4. the bread cam be sliced before or cut after filling if necessary. Also do not use filling that can soak the bread. c) Method of preparation: 13e careful in handling the items by maintaining proper sanitation. Mix thoroughly into a soft. BEEF BURGER 400 grams minced beef 4 large firm tomatoes (sliced) ½ medium chopped onion 2 tsp salt Pinch curry and thyme (optional) 1 tsp melted margarine 8 dinner rolls (small round bread) mayonnaise 2 eggs 4 tbsp bread crumbs . 6. it should be attractively arranged. SARDINE CANAPE 1 can of sardine 1 ½ tsp grated onion 10 slices of buttered bread triangles 90 grams or 6 tbsp margarine pinch ground ginger Method 1. There are four basic considerations in making sandwiches: a) The Bread: This is the most important item used and can be from any type of bread. with or without sauce such as (salad cream. egg and almost the remaining water or as needed to obtain correct consistency of dough. Roll out on floured board to inch thickness and cut with doughnut cutter. ketchup or mustard cream). Dissolve yeast in half of the warm water. salad and various types of food.
the melted margarine. In order to produce good quality cakes. The mixture is well beaten till light and foamy after which the dry ingredients (flour. sides of pan when baked. even in colour and firm. sugar and flour in addition to flavorings. This mixture is gradually poured into the flour ingredient and all are beaten together with electric mixer or manually with wooden spoon till the mixture is smooth. 6. It must not be heavy. Put in the oven to bake for 10. baking powder and salt) are folded into the creamed mixture. BAKED FISH SANDWICH (Oblong Rolls) 300 grams cooked fish ¼ green pepper chopped ½ onion. without cracks or large holes: The centre should not fall in but the cakes should shrink lightly from . The creaming method usually produces better quality.15 minutes. 2. All other ingredients which includes eggs and milk are added and beaten thoroughly till beaten thoroughly ill smooth. Combine all ingredients except mayonnaise and the bread. All ingredients must be at room temperature when mixing cakes. Split the oblong rolls in half and spread margarine on the sliced surfaces. it is essential recipes and use proper ingredients appropriate method of mixing. In addition. large cakes must be level at the top. Beaten eggs. In choosing mixing method. Don’t over mix the mixture after flour has been added or else the batter will be rubbery. Regular bread slices can also be used. Onion slices and lettuce loaf can be added to improve eating and nutrient quality. 5. Also. The muffin method involves all the dry ingredients being sifted together and the margarine is melted. Remove from heat and slice the rolls into two. BATTERS AND PASTRIES cakes are batter products of flour mixtures that contain fat. Examples are queen cakes. Small cakes like queen cake . Club sandwiches are made by slicing the rolls into three portions having two layers of filling. The flour mixture and milk are added to the cream mixture and set aside. sticky or crumbly. Combine all ingredients except bread in a bowl. Spread the fish mixture over one of the buttered surfaces and top with two slices of tomato. the equipment available. The pan must not be filled more than half for two-thirds with the batter. 4. In a separate bowl. but egg yolk and fat are not included. Conventional sponge method in which the fat and half the sugar being creamed first. The quality of cakes is very important. eggs and raising agent. The cake must be baked in a well greased pan for easy removal when baked.15minutes. the cake will be hard when baked. beaten eggs and milk are beaten together to blend thoroughly. Examples are shortened cake. Pastry-blend or rubbing in method involves blending of fat and flour together. top with tomato slice and cover the sliced tomato with the other vegetables and the top layer of the bread. adequate size of pan and baking temperature. Toss well. The creaming method involves the creaming of fat and sugar with electric mixer or wooden spoon till the mixture is light and fluffy. Pure sponge cake uses only egg whites.46 Method 1.. An examples of this type is chiffon or feather cake. consider the quality and type of cake as indicated by the recipe. type offat and amount of time available. 2. cakes. Fill the bread with the grilled meat. chopped ½ tsp pepper Salt to taste 3 tbsp mayonnaise 6-8 rolls (small oblong bread) margarine Method 1. fruit upside down or carrot cake. 2. sugar. The eggs are separated and only yolks are beaten into fat mixture. spread ½ teaspoon mayonnaise on the meat. The egg whites are the whisked to become stiff and foamy and the flour mixture is folded into the stiff egg white. marble cake and coffee cake. milk and vanilla are gradually poured into the creamed mixture. 4. A good quality cake must be light. Cooked on both sides. Brush the meat patties with melted margarine and grill over direct heat or barbecue for 10. Queen cake and ginger bread can be made in this way. Chapter Six CAKES. There are four basic method of mixing cakes 1. 3. Mix well and shape the beef mixture into patties (round shape of same diameters as the bread ½ inch thickness) 3.
Sift the flour. Add vanilla and cream well. 8. Cream well until the mixture is light and fluffy to a dropping consistency. Add the washed eggs. Fold in well 5. QUEEN CAKES (CREAMING METHOD) 300 grams sifted flour 80ml milk 1 50 grams margarine 1tsp. 7. 3.47 should have good shapes and rounded but slightly peaked tops. Note: 1 ½ tsp vanilla. lime/lemon rind 150 grams sugar ¼ tsp. 5. Gradually pour beaten eggs into the creamed mixture. . sugar and vanilla together with electric mixer or wooden spatula. until well mixed Add baking powder and nutmeg into flour. Stir in lemon rind and mix well.IN. Sieve ‘flour with baking powder. Nutmeg (grated) 3 tsp baking powder 4 egg. Sprinkle lemon rind over remaining flour. Rub in the fat and sugar into the sifted flour ingredients with finger tips until the mixture looks like bread crumbs. salt and nutmeg into a bowl. Now add a half of the milk and a second of the flour. Add the lemon juice and the milk gradually as the constituency becomes stiff. Note: currants can be added to the flour before folding in or top of the queen cake as decoration before baking. sieve two times. Make 12 small cakes. 6. it means the cake is baked. 2. Add ½ of the flour into the eggs mixture and fold and in the flour mixture. beaten well in each addition. Grease cup cake pans and fill the pans. Having all ingredients at room temperature. Spoon mixtures into well greased queen cake pans or paper cups. Cream margarine and sugar thoroughly until fluffy: 3. Finally fold in the last portion of the flour mixture and remaining milk. When baked remove from heat and place on cooling racks. alternating them. 4.METHOD) 250 grams flour 75ml diluted milk 100g sugar 2 ½ tsp baking powder 3 eggs ¼ tsp salt 125 grams margarine/oil ½ tsp nutmeg 1 tsp lemon juice 1 ½ tsp lemon rind Method 1. Bake in pre-heated oven of 325 (gas mark 2) for about 20 minutes. QUEEN CAKES (RUBBING . baking powder. well beaten 1 tsp vanilla 1 tbsp lemon/lime juice Method 1. Beat egg and stir into the flour ingredients. one at a time. 2 tbsp desiccated coconut or currants can be added when mixing. Cream margarine. and beat with wooden spoon. 4. salt and nutmeg. Always use a skewer or knife to check if cake is well baked by piercing the knife through the cake. Sponge cakes must be light with firm spongy texture that springs back when pressure is applied. MARBLE CAKE 400 grams sifted flour 4 tsp baking powder 200 grams margarine 200 grams sugar Drops pink colouring 1 ½ tsp vanilla ½ tsp nutmeg 7-8 eggs 100ml-l50ml milk 1 tsp chocolate/cocoa powder or 2 tbsp browning Method 1. 2. When the knife comes out clean. 2. 3. Top with currants if desired and hake in moderately heated oven for 20-30 minutes.
Sift flour. alternating with milk. margarine. Bake in pre-heated oven for 40 minutes. peeled and mashed 2 large eggs 1 teasp. 2. Batter may also be scooped in spoonful while alternating the colours till all the batter is put into the pan. Baking powder l tsp baking soda 120m1 diluted milk .48 4. The batter is now in three colours (cream. 3. Using an electric mixer or whisk. VANILLA SAUCE 250rnl boiling water 60 grams sugar 2 tbsp corn starch powder 2 tbsp margarine ½ tsp nutmeg 1 tsp vanilla Method 1. Mix the batter thoroughly. Serves 12. baking powder cream of tartar and salt three times. COCONUT/CARROT AND RAISIN CAKE 3 beaten eggs 1 ½ tsp all spice 175 grams sugar 300 grams grated carrots 100 grams raisin/currants 200ml vegetable/soft margarine 360 grams flour l tsp salt 2 tsp vanilla 3 tsp baking powder 150 grams toasted coconut Method 1. Add vanilla mix well and serve as a warm sauce over cakes and puddings. Fold in the sifted dry ingredients alternately with milk. 2. 4. 6. 7. Stir in flour mixture. one at a time. sugar and vegetable oil. 4. Using a whisk or mixer. 3. Pour into a well greased square or round pan. Put water in a small pot to boil. 5. Grease a medium square or round pan and lightly sprinkle flour over the grease pan. Spread the brown mixture at the bottom of the pan. invert on a cooling rack can iced or served with vanilla sauce. Mix well and share batter into three equal separate portions in 3 bowls 5. Pour into a greased square pan and bake in pre-heated oven for 55 minutes. 6. FEATHER CAKE 250 grams sifted flour ½ tsp salt 120 grams sugar 4 egg whites 3 tsp baking flour 125 grams margarine 1 tsp vanilla 100ml milk 2 ½ tsp cream of tartar Method 1. Sift flour. beat well after each addition of egg white. Cream margarine and sugar thoroughly. custard powder and nutmeg. Blend in colours very well without over mixing batters. Serve 10. salt. BANANA COCONUT CAKE 100grams dedicated coconut 200grams flour sifted 100grams margarine 100grams sugar 2 large bananas. grated carrot and toasted coconut. 2. When baked. Stir the mixture into the boiling water. baking powder and all spice together. brown and pink) in 3 bowls. Pour the cream coloured hatter that on the pink layer and spread the batter from the centre to sides of the pan. Cream sugar. Top the brown with the pink as second layer. Bake in 350°f in a pre-heated oven for 45 minutes. vanilla and currants alternately. Add dry ingredients. 6. Sift cocoa powder into one portion and the pink colouring in another portion. blend eggs. Slowly add vanilla and egg whites. 3.
Beat eggs and add to margarine and sugar mixture. Bake in per-heated oven of 3500f (gas mark 2) for 50minutes or until baked. 3. To make the topping. Sieve out fruits and toss in little flour. nutmeg. 3. RICH CHOCOLATE FRUIT CAKE 10 eggs 1 tsp vanilla 500 grams sifted flour 2 tbsp brandy flavoring/150ml brandy 2 ½ tsp baking powder 150 grams mixed fruits 300 grams soft margarine 300 grams brown sugar 90 grams (6 tbsp browning/caramel) 1 tsp all spice 1 tsp vanilla 150 grams raisin/currants 1 tsp lemon juice 1 tsp strawberry flavoring 1 ½ tsp rind of one lemon 1 tsp almond flavor Method 1. 2. Preheat the oven 4. This can be used in place of browning. place margarine. allspice and baking powder. Sift together the flour. 7. Fold in the flour mixture into the margarine-sugar mixture. Cream margarine. and leave to cool slightly. Mix the remaining milk and mashed banana in a bowl and gradually combine the banana mixture with the flour mixture. Soak fruits in brandy. 5. 2. Pour batter into well greased and floured pan. Place margarine and sugar in a mixing bowl and cream until smooth and fluffy.49 For the topping 25g (2 ½ tbsp) margarine 2 tbsp honey 120g shredded fresh coconut. Bake at medium heat until cake is cooked (45-50minutes). Gradually fold in the flour mixture and floured mixed fruits. Place on a wire rack to cool completely when fully baked. then stir in the toasted coconut. 2. 5. Add the flavorings. made by heating 50 grams granulated sugar till it is brown (dark brown) and then 100ml boiled water is gradually stirred into it to lighten the thickness. lemon rinds and remaining brandy. honey and grated coconut in a sauce pan and cook for about 5 minutes. Mix thoroughly until foamy.) ¼ tsp all spice 200ml prepared caramel 1 ½ tsp baking soda 180m1 evaporated milk left added for 10 minutes with 10ml lemon juice Method 1. Melt the margarine and ensure that all the ingredients are held at room temperature. Beak in the eggs one at a time. baking powder and soda. Note: Caramels. Prepare desiccate coconut by toasting freshly grated coconut in the oven or over grill for 5 minutes. Place all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and the mixture i s well beaten with electric or wooden spoon until smooth and creamy. Method 1. using half of the milk. SOYA BEAN AND WHEAT FLOUR BREAD 300grams white flour 300grams soya bean flour 400m1 warm water or milk ltbsp margarine . sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. Sift together the flour. 6. Pour into a greased brunet pan or hollow pan. Place cake batter in a greased square pan and bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes. Add caramel or browning to sugar mixture. 4. 4. Remove from heat. Spoon topping over the whole top of the cake. GINGER BREAD 200 grams flour 60 grams (4 tbsp) margarine 1 ½ tsp ground ginger ¼ tsp salt ½ tsp cinnamon (opt. 3.
4. Method 1. OATMEAL BREAD 100grams uncooked quick oatmeal 125ml boiling water 60grams (4 tbsp) sugar 1tsp salt l25ml lukewarm water 250m1 warm milk 600grams sifted flour 60grams margarine 3 ½ tsp dry yeast Method 1. Beat well until the mixture is well blended. bake in pre-heated oven at 4000 f for 10 minutes first. .50 2-4 tbsp sugar 3 tsp dry yeast ½ tsp salt Method 1. Pour cake batter over the pineapple as a second layer. Note: Soya bean bread produces a heavy dough and requires more kneading man the regular plain white bread. add half o f t h e flour and mix until smooth. Dissolve yeast in warm water with l tbsp sugar. Stir and remove from heat when it starts bubbling to top level of the sauce pan. Knead very well and cover in a warm place for dough to rise until double in size (about 35 minutes) 5. Bake at 350f for 50 minutes or until cake is golden brown. Prepare a soft dough by using the dissolved yeast to mix the soya bean ingredients. 2. Mix the soya bean flour. 2. Mix again and knead a second time. Makes 2 loaves. FRUIT UPSIDE DOWN CAKE 300 gram chopped pineapple 300 grams sifed flour 150 grams sugar 1 50 grams margarine 3 tsp baking powder ½ tsp salt 200m1 milk 1 tsp vanilla ½ tsp nutmeg 4-6 eggs. Combine margarine. Boil sugar and water quickly without stirring until golden b r o w n and glossy. Reduce heat to 350°f and bake for 4Ominutes. Add the remaining flour. Put the oatmeal in a large bowl. 4. reserving some for kneading. Set aside and leave to cool completely before using for cake or caramel custard. 6. Fold in the dry ingredients alternately with the milk. Generously grease a medium square pan and fill the bottom of the pan with pineapple chunks. 3. sugar and vanilla and cream well. Sprinkle the yeast into the 125m1 lukewarm water and stir in the remaining 2tbsp sugar until dissolved. When adequately risen again. 2. Serve with vanilla sauce as a dessert/sweet. 5. little at a time. When double in size. 3. Add one egg at a time and beat thoroughly. Mix dough thoroughly until it stops sticking to the hands. 3. 4. Shape into loafs and place in a warm place to rise until double in size. Cover with a damp cloth or towel and let rise for 1 ½ hours under warm condition. 6. bake in a pre-heated oven for 30 minutes. Place on a board and knead until firm and glossy. 5. Set aside until lukewarm. Add the margarine. Cover and set aside for 5minutes. The pineapple should be evenly distributed all over the bottom. CARAMEL 100g sugar 200m1 cold water Method 1. 2tbsp sugar (reserve 2tbsp) and the salt. 3. Shape in to two loaves and place in a greased bread pan. Add the white flour to the soya bean dough to obtain a stiff consistency for kneading. Stir the dissolved yeast into the oatmeal mixture. stir in the warm milk and boiling waters. 2. 7. margarine salt and the remaining sugar in a bowl. Remove from pan and insert on cooling rack.
5. Occasionally. 1 ¼ tsp baking powder 1 ¼ tsp baking soda 150g sugar 3 egg yolks 180 ml orange juice ¼ tsp vanilla 2 tsp grated orange rind Method 1. 4. 1 tsp baking powder 200m1 cup boiling water 250 grams sifted flour lisp cinnamon Method 1. Now sift the baking soda. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 350° for about 45 minutes. 4. Decorate for anniversary ceremony when cool. beating well. Grease a medium. 2. Mix the orange juice with the rum together 4. Gradually blend in the softened oatmeal. Add the caramel.seized cake pan and pour in the oatmeal cake and bake in a pre-heated oven for 45minutes. Mix the brown sugar and margarine till soft. beating very well. Beat egg white again. Cream margarine and sugar until light and fluffy. 6. . Bake till dry but not coloured. COFFEE CAKE 200g margarine ¼ tsp salt 200g sugar 200g mixed fruits/currants 200m1 caramel 1 tsp cinnamon/coffee 300g flour ½ tsp nutmeg 3 tsp baking powder 1 tsp vanilla 2 tsp strawberry flavor cashew nuts 4 tbsp (optional) 6eggs Method 1. Prepare caramel and set aside to cool. pour the boiling water over the oatmeal and mix thoroughly. OATMEAL CAKE 100g oatmeal (quick cooking oatmeal) 1 60grarns brown sugar 1 tsp baking soda ½ tsp salt 100grams mixed fruits or currants. Break and grate off or scrape away the brown surface of the coconut flesh. 2. 3. vanilla and almond extract. Add the dry ingredients and run mixture alternately into the creamed margarine and sugar mixture with the orange juice mixture. Stir in the orange rind. Add the egg yolks one at a time. cinnamon and salt into the sifted flour. ORANGE RUM CAKE 350 g sifted flour 1 ¼ tsp salt 1 ¼ tsp grated dry ginger 150g margarine 3 egg whites. Fold in the flour ingredients. Cream margarine and sugar till light and fluffy. . 3. stir to prevent burning or uneven browning. Fold in the egg whites into the flour mixture (batter) and pour into the greased 1 0 inch pan. Sift together the first 5 ingredients twice 2. Grate the coconut and spread out on a baking tray and put in a preheated oven. beaten stiff 60m1 rum ½ tsp almond extract/Cloves 4 tbsp caramel. 3. Beat eggs till thick and mix in to the sugar and fat mixture. Store in air tight containers for later use when cold. Toss together and set aside. Cover and set aside for 20 minutes. Mix together and add the currants to mixed fruits.51 DESICCATED COCONUT 1 coconut Method 1. Gradually beat in tile beaten eggs. 2.
5. margarine. Fry until golden brown on all sides. 6. 5. Add ¼ tsp of the corned beef to the batter in the spoon and drop the batter as ball into the deep frying pan oil. Yields 1 serving of4 pancakes. PUFF-PUFF 300 grams sifted flour ½ tsp salt 45 grams/3 tbsp sugar Vegetable oil for deep frying 1 tbsp margarine/oil 1 ½ tsp yeast 250rnl water lukewarm Method 1. Serve with honey or pancake syrup. flour. Sift sugar. 3. Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 45 minutes. 4. 2. Fry until the mixture is light brown and remove with a straining spoon. 8. test for doneness and remove from heat. fat. 4. Heat the oil for frying and use oiled spooned to scoop the mixture. PLAIN BREAKFAST PANCAKES 10 tbspflour ¼ egg 2 tsp sugar 125ml milk ¼ tsp salt 1 tbsp vegetable 1 ½ tsp baking powder Method 1. 9. Cover and set aside for about 10 minutes. 7. Beat and drop the batter in balls from oiled Spoon into the hot oil. Add scrambled eggs or sausage as breakfast dish. Cover and allow to ferment till it bubbles (1 5 minutes). Beat the batter until it is smooth. Dissolve half of the sugar in the yeast. Stir in the fermented yeast with a Spoon and beat the mixture lightly. rise to the top and become popped.52 5. Heat a heavy frying pan (small sized) on top cooker and grease the bottom lightly with a teaspoon of vegetable oil. When brown. beat the mixture lightly for about 3 minutes. Serve as a snacks. remaining sugar and salt in a bowl. 2. Stir in the milk and mix thorough. salt and baking powder till the mixture becomes crumbs. At this time the underside of the pancake is golden brown. 3. 3. sugar. 2. salt and baking powder. Stir in the dry ingredients into the milk egg-mixture. 4. Using a wooden spoon. Flip the pancake cover to brown the other side. salt and baking powder combine then in small portions with the fat mixture by folding in and alternatively adding the spices and flavoring. In a separate bowl beat the egg. Mix the flour. Alternately mold batter in balls and drop in the heated oil. Cover bowl with a damp towel and place till it doubles it original size or leave in the refrigerator over night. Pre-heat the oven. Heat vegetable oil. 7. Make a well at the centre of the flour mixture and add one beaten egg at a time. Allow to cool and cut into squares to serve as finger food. 6. Stir in the nuts and mixed fruits. 5. Drain out oil and serve as snack. Mix the sifted flour. Pour ¼ of the batter into the centre of the pan over medium heat until bubbles form. milk and vegetable oil. RICH BUNS 250g flour(sifted) egg 60 grams/4 tbsp margarine 50g sugar Vegetable oil for deep frying 100-125ml water 2 tbsp milk ½ tsp salt 2 tsp baking powder 3 tsp corned beef (optional) Method 1. Sift the flour. Lightly grease medium-sized baking pan and pour the batter into the pan. .
Pie filling must be made earlier and cooled before filling the pie shells. After mixing. After mixing. tender and golden brown in colour. sugar. The salt contributes to flavor and the fat gives tenderness. Cookies is another favorite snack made from soft dough. well folded and sealed together to prevent leakages. 5. The softer doughs may be dropped on baking trays for baking. Cut the top with a fork and the beaten egg. nor too soft or crumbly. 3. 4. care must be taken to avoid kneading and over stretching of the pastry for handling can cause the pie crusts to shrink and become tough when baked. fat. It produces very tender and flaky crusts. salt and water. 6. Pastry is made by cutting fat into the flour and salt until the mixture becomes like bread crumbs. For best result. Cover the pie shells and seal properly. (2) Flaky pastry has ratio of two-thirds fat to the flour. Alternatively. It is made with flour. fish or sausage fillings. Bake in pre-heated oven for 30-40 minutes. They are (1) short crust pastry which has half fat to the flour measurement It is fairly flaky and crumbles easily. The dough is rolled into ¼ inch thickness and cut into desired sizes and shapes. 8. the pastry dough should not be over stretched when rolling and cutting. Toss flour and salt together. The surfaces may be smooth or rough. They should be removed from the trays immediately they are baked. Prepare the filling and set aside to cool. 2. rising agents and flavorings. chilled and cut into desired shapes with biscuit cutter.53 PASTRIES AND COOKIES Pies are made from plain pastry which is a stiff dough made from flour. When baked. Plain pastry may be classified according to the ratio of fat to flour. fat. and cold water is desirable. It produced less flaky and tender crusts and it is often used for commercial productions. . The tops at the top of each pie with fork or knife to permit steam to escape during baking. Cookies should neither be too hard. pastries should be flaky. Makes 8 pies. pies may also be fried in deep fat. (3) The suet pastry has less amount of fat and one-third fat to flour quantity is used. Cold water is added gradually to the mixture and it is combined together. eggs and milk. The pies must be sufficiently filled. Cuts should be made at the top of each pie with fork or knife to permit steam to escape during baking. SAUSAGE ROLL AND FISH PIES) i) Short-Crust Margarine Pastry (ii) Oil Pastry 300 grams flour (sifted) 300 grams flour (sifted) Pinch salt 2 tsp baking powder 150 grams margarine 150m1 vegetable oil 100ml cold water 50m1 cold water 1 egg for glazing 1 egg for glazing Pinch salt ii) Margarine-Oil Pastry 300g flour ½ tsp salt 60g margarine 60m1 vegetable oil 60ml water (iv) Suet Pastry (Economy) 300g flour 3 tsp baking powder 100g margarine/oil 75m1 water ¼ tsp salt Method 1. The water is used to bind the ingredients. Roll out to ¼ inch thickness on floured board and cut into shapes. The dough is gathered to form a ball and rolled on a flat surface. BASIC PASTRY (FOR MEAT. The tops are also lightly brushed with beaten egg or milk for browning as a form of garnishing. Before mixing the ingredient for pastry. always set aside some flour that will be needed to sprinkle on. Machine is also used for mixing of pastry in order to have cumulated quantity of fats well distributed in the flour and incorporate sufficient air into the dough and improve tenderness. 7. Gather into a ball and set aside for 15-30 minutes. board and dough when rolling. When mixing and rolling. Over mixing will result in toughness of cookies. the dough is lolled. The flour must be of good quality in order to produce firm products. Fill with meat. Add the fat and mix until mixture looks like fine bread crumbs. Cookies can be mixed by creaming method or pastry method. Sprinkle with enough cold water to moisten. the dough nay be left for about 15 minutes for flour to be well hydrated and for easier handling. The pies are arranged in well greased baking trays and placed in pre-heated ovens.
Roll over in two or three folding. Fold over the rolled pastry from the long side until the rectangle makes 3-4 folding.54 MEAT PIE/FISH PIE FILLING 50 grams minced beef/flaked cooked fish 2 tsp flour ¼ tsp salt 100ml beef broth 4 potatoes diced and boiled 1 tsp curry 1 tsp thyme 4 tbsp peas 1 carrot. 3. In a saucepan. CHIN CHIN 300 grams sifted flour 75g margarine 1 egg ½ tsp salt Vegetable oil for frying 45g (4 tbsp) sugar ½ tsp baking powder pinch nutmeg 2-3 tbsp cold water 1 ½ tbsp powdered milk Method 1. Cook for 8 minutes until beef is cooked. 5. nutmeg and sa1t Toss together until mixture forms crumbs. Gather the mixture in small balls without kneading. Add baking powder. melt margarine or heat oil and add onion. Roll dough on lightly floured board to a 4 by 12 inches in rectangle of ½ inch long thickness. water and the seasonings stir well to mix up ingredients. 9. Place the rolls on a greased baking sheet or tray and glaze the tops with beaten eggs. Brush milk or egg wash on top and bake in pre-heated 3500f heated oven for 30-40 minutes. Stir-fry for 2 minutes and remove from heat. Sprinkle flour into the mixture. Spread the corned beef evenly over the surface of the flat dough as for sausage roll. 2. 5. Seal the edges and use a knife and cut into 2 ½ to 3 inches sizes. 3. Add carrots. 3. Handle dough as little as possible and place balts on a floured board. Use fork to cut the top of the rolls and place in greased pan. In a bowl cut in the margarine and rub in to have flour crumbs. 4. Prepare the margarine or oil pastry. peas. Fry for 2 seconds and then add minced beef or fish flakes. Using a spoon. Using the rolling pin. 7. Rub the sausage generously along the centre of pastry. 5. which now gives 4 sausage rolls. 8. 2. folding in and stirring well un flour is well absorbed. Make a well in the centre of the mixture and add water gradually to form a past. Roll up the remaining pastry. Mix the sausage and curry or nutmeg. Bake in preheated oven for about 40 minutes or till light brown. . Sift flour and salt 2. See diagram for rolling out cutting guidelines. 6. SAUSAGE ROLL 250 grams beef sausage ½ tsp curry or nutmeg Basic pastry recipe 1 egg (beaten) for glazing Method 1. Remove 2-3 tbsp of flour mixture for rolling out. 4. roll out the dough into Y2 inch thickness in rectangular shape. 6. Rub in the fat into the flour. CORNED BEEF ROLLS 300g flour 100ml cold water 150g margarine 1 small can corned beef Pinch salt 1 beaten egg for glazing Method 1. spread the mixed sausage on the surface of the rectangle. 4. chopped and boil 2 ½ margarine or vegetable oil Method 1. Add the beef broth.
Heat oil in deep fryer and fry the rolled up egg till golden brown. 5. Gather dough into balls and leave for 10-15 minutes for flour absorb liquid well. cut length wise through the middle and scoop out the yolks. 3. 6. EGG ROLL 4 eggs (hard boiled) 200g sifted flour 50g fat 2 tsp baking powder ½ tsp salt ½ tsp sugar 60m1 cold water oil for deep frying . 7. Cut in margarine into the flour and gradually sprinkle water into the flour and mixture to moisten. Sieve the baking powder. Cover each half. b) Pie shell (pastry) 300g flour ½ tsp salt 100g fat ½ tsp baking powder 60-80ml cold water 1 egg for glazing Method 1. 6. Add cold water and bind together. 3. Seal the edge of the last fold with little water. Cut into 3 inch long rolls and place in a greased baking tray Glaze the top with beaten egg and put in the oven to bake for about 40 minutes. Stir-fry for 2 minutes and remove from heat to cook while pastry is prepared. 5. pressing together to form a whole egg again. Gather the mixture into a ball and roll into ½ inch thickness on a board. Now roll out on floured board into 1 ¼ or ½ inch thickness and cu into cubes or dices. curry. Serve wit groundnuts as snack. 3. seasoning and water. Make a thick paste with flour remaining margarine. If heat is too low or much quantity is fried at time. Divide the yolk mixture into 4 equal portions and fill 3 each egg (half of white) with the yolk mixture. 4. Place the yolk in a bowl with the minced fish. 3. Note: Corned beef or sardines can be used as alternatives. the chin-chin will soak the oil and will no be crisp. Peel the boiled eggs. Heat the vegetable oil and onion in a frying pan for 2seconds. 2. milk. 2. flour and salt into a bowl. 6. Use paste (flattened) to cover each filled egg coated first in flour pinch the joining edges for proper sealing of the paste. salt ingredients thoroughly. Stir well and sprinkle in the flour to bind the ingredients. 4. 4. FISH ROLL a) Fish filling 250g flaked cooked fish ½ tsp flour ½ tsp curry ½ tsp salt 2 tbsp water ½ chopped onion 2 tsp vegetable oil Method 1. Drain and serve hot. 5. salt. Split into 2 sections again and garnish with cucumber slice to serve. pepper. pepper. STUFFED EGG ROLL 4 large eggs (hardboiled) 2 tbsp minced cooked fish ½ tsp curry 3 tbsp milk 6 tbsp margarine (90g) ½ tsp ground pepper 200g plain sifted flour ½ tsp soy or maggi sauce pinch salt and pepper ½ tsp baking powder Method 1. flour board with reserved mixture. Add the flaked fish. 2. Add 1 tbsp margarine and 1 tbsp milk to the egg yolk and mix well. Pre-heat oil and fry until light brown. Cut into rectangular shapes and fill them with the cooked fish filling. Allow chin-chin pieces to drain off oil after frying. Spread the filling all over the dough surface and roll the rectangular pastry in two or three folds.55 2. Do no knead pastry.
4. SWISS ROLL 100 grams sifted flour 3 eggs ½ tsp baking powder 2-3 tbsp warm jam 100grams sugar l tbsp warm water ½ tsp vanilla essence Method 1. Grease a swiss cake pan and line with a greased paper. Heat oil for deep frying and cook the eggs under moderate. drain serve as snack or cocktail. Remove sugared paper and cool the roll on a cake rack. Fold in lightly with a metal spoon. Now coat the shelled egg with remaining flour and wrap each egg. 8. 4. Peel hard-boiled eggs and set aside. 7. sugar. 2. Rub in the margarine for the flour mixture to form crumbs. After 5 minutes of whisking. share the dough in to 6 portions and flatten each portion to ¼ inch thickness. Sieve flour.56 Method 1. Gradually fold in the vanilla and warm water. Put the mixture in to the greased pan over the paper and spread evenly. Now whisk. Now sprinkle the remaining flour and continue to fold in until flour is completely absorbed. Taking one at a time. fish or meat filling (already prepared) 1 ½ tsp sugar Vegetable oil for deep frying Method 1. heat until the coating is golden brown on all sides.80m1 water ½ tsp baking powder Beans. 5. Now roll up quite firmly and leave the roll wrapped up in the sugared paper for about 10 minutes to keep the roll in food shape. Gather the soft dough in a ball. Use a pastry cutter to cut pie shapes. turn out the cake on a sugared paper and remove the baking paper carefully. Break the eggs into a mixing bowl and place the bowl over a pan of hot water. 3. 2. 8. mix flour. vegetable oil for frying . Add cold water to make the dough. Cut into smaller rolls. 4. with a portion of dough. When baked. salt and baking powder into a bowl 2. Serve as snacks. Coat the remaining eggs. 9. Fry pies in heated vegetable oil till golden brown. sugar and salt together 3. 6. Remove the beaten egg from the top of the hot water and sprinkle half of the flour over the egg mixture. 5. 7. Cut the margarine into the flour ingredients. add the water gradually to make a fi r m paste while handling the mixture as little and lightly as possible. Bake in a pre-heated oven until golden brown and firm. Damp the rim or edge of the pie shell with water and seal the rim of the pie firmly 6. 3. without stretching. SCOTCH EGGS 4 hard boiled eggs 4 tbsp bread crumbs 200g beef sausage ½ tsp curry 2 tbsp sifted flour . FRIED PIES 300g flour ½ tsp salt 100g margarine 50. fold the dough like a skin over the egg and seal edges very well with the egg fully enclosed and the egg shapes still maintained. Reserving one table spoon of flour. Make a well in the centre. add the sugar lightly and continue to whisk until the egg mixture has doubled into size and become thick and creamy. Fill each pie shell with the prepared filling. 5. Sieve baking powder into the sieved flour and sieve the sugar separately. Roll out pastry about ¼ inch (1/2 cm) thick. Now spread the warm jam all over the surface of the rectangular-shaped cake. 6. The water should not be too hot the bowl should not touch the water to prevent the eggs from curding.
sugar and vanilla. Cream margarine. COCONUT BALLS 125g margarine 1 tsp vanilla 130g sifted flour 60g sifted sugar ½ tbsp water 200g shredded coconut Method 1. 5. add flour and mix well. ensure that you use appropriate’ utensils like jugs. the beverage is known as fruit drink. Makes 2 ½ -3 dozens. They are later mixed with water or other beverage and served chilled. Cream margarine and sugar. Stimulants: Coffee. lemon grass and scent leaf tea. flask and teapots. . Put 2 or 3 cookies together with the vanilla filling in between them. VANILLA FILLING 65gmargarifle 140g icing sugar 1 egg white ½ tsp Food colour (pink or yellow) Method 1. Now prepare the vanilla filling that will be used to sandwich two or three cookies together. 3. Maintenance of proper hygiene is important when handling the ingredients. as accompaniments to meal or the final course of a meal. Allow them to cool thoroughly before removing them from the baking tray. 6. stimulating drinks between meals. Make 3 dozens. 4. Beat in egg and vanilla. beating until light and fluffy. Soft drinks. Nutritious drinks provide specific nutrients to help fight illness. 4. fresh fruits drinks. Beverages may come from mostly animals or fruits and vegetables. 6. When preparing beverages. Peel or scrape off the brown back of the coconut flesh. 6. coffee. Bake in slow oven for about 20 minutes or until firm to touch. mineral water. Sedatives: Alcoholic drinks. 3. Stir in the water. Chapter Seven BEVERAGES AND DESSERTS A beverage is any kind of drink that is prepared for human consumption. 3. Now cut into ‘/2 inch sizes (thickness of slice) and place in lightly oiled baking pan. Milk contains protein. However. Refreshers: Fruit drinks and soft drinks. Blend vanilla and desired food colouring. boast the body’s energy and vitality and ensure a healthy lifestyle. Also. Fruits and vegetable juices are good source of vitamins and some minerals and are obtained from squeezing the fruits. Remove from heat and cool on wire racks. 5. Use filling for sandwiching sponge cakes as well. egg drinks. ensure that good quality fresh fruits are used. Add sugar alternately with egg white. 2. fruit and milk drinks are more nutritious.58 Method 1. malted and vegetable juices. Form 2 rolls each of 7 inches long and 1 ½ inches wide which look like sausage roll. Nourishers: Milk shakes. Energizers: Malted and vegetable drinks. Bake for 8-10 minutes. 2. 8. Stir in the coconut and mould into I inch balls. fruits juices. 2. 3. 7. 2. beat until blended. Health Promoters: Fruit and vegetable juices Beverages may serve as appetizers in meals. They are grouped as follows: 1. fat. Place the balls apart in an ungreased baking tray or sheet. tea and cocoa are popular in meals. 4. Squashes are boiled concentrates of juices to which small proportion of sugar has been added. Shred coconut and set aside. cocoa. Chill for ease in handling. Gradually add flour. egg hot drinks. When fruits juices are mixed with water (1 to 3 parts water) and sweetened with sugar or honey. tea. 5. minerals and vitamins. beer etc.
WATER MELON DRINK 1 small watermelon fruit 1 lemon/lime Syrup and water to taste 500m1 boiled water Method 1. Pour over the juice in a jar. Wash. Stir in the orange juice. Syrup (For Fruity Drinks) 75g sugar 250m1 water Method 1. Cool and add to fruit drinks. Fill the shell with fruit salad and decorate with quartered lemon Seal the top of the watermelon basket with clean film or foil paper and chill before serving. scoop out the pulp and squeeze out juice through a sieve. 3. Place the sugar and water in a saucepan and heat till all sugar are dissolved. 2. PAWPAW DRINK ½ ripe pawpaw 1 tsp lemon/lime juice 500m1 boiled water Syrup and water to taste (250ml water boiled with 75g sugar) Method 1. Chili before serving. Note: Syrup for flavoring fruit drinks should be prepared before hand and allowed to cool before addition to drinks. 2. Scoop out the melon fruit. 3. Add syrup to taste and the lemon juice. 3. Boil for another five minutes for4fie syrup to thicken slightly. 4. trim the edge for the watermelon shell by cutting a saw tooth edge. Squeeze out the juice. discarding the seeds. . Orange and pineapple juices maybe added. Wash fruit and cut into sections. Leave to cook and chill before serving. Wash and cut fruit into halves. Sweeten with syrup 3.59 GRAPE FRUIT DRINK 2 ripe grape fruits 500ml water Syrup to taste Method 1. Using a sharp knife. reserving the shell. Make ½ inch water melon cubes from the scooped watermelon. WATERMELON BASKET ½ water melon ½ medium pineapple 250m1 orange juice 23 bananas 1 red apple 1 lemon Method 1. Remove seeds. 2. Slice the bananas and dice the pineapple. Blender can be used to crush the pulp before sieving. Boil the water and leave to cool. Combine these in a bowl to prevent browning of the bananas. peel pawpaw and remove the seeds. 2.
Serve chilled in glasses and garnish with lemon/lime slices. Wash. stir in the ginger or cloves and set aside for few minutes. Scrub pineapple. 2. 2. Add lime and syrup. 4. remove immediately from the water and place them in a sauce pot. Cover and keep drink until cold. Add ice blocks to serve immediately. Sweeten with syrup or honey if desired. 3. Alternatively. Boil the 3 litres of water and pour over the washed zobo. Put chucks of pineapple in a bowl and use a crusher/blender to squeeze out the juice. Add the pure water and strain into a glass jug. Filter very well and discard the chaff. Add the pure water to filter and obtain the juice. Garnish side of glass with cucumber/lemon slices. ZOBO DRINK 200g zobo flower (1/4 basket) 3 litres of water 3 tsp crushed ginger 500m1 pineapple/orange juice sugar to taste 3 tsp crushed cloves Method 1. Pour into jugs and chill before serving. Stir in the pineapple juice and sugar to taste. Keep the zobo boiling for about 30 minutes till the colour is fully absorbed into the liquid. 7. the thoroughly washed pineapple peels can be boiled in 700m1 water strained into jugs and chilled before serving. 4. 5. 2. Stir in ginger. Cut beetroot in to small pieces as well as the apple. Leave to cool completely.60 2. scrape and grate carrots. Serve chilled in tall glasses with a sprig of lime leaf as garnishing. CHAPMAN’S DRINK 250ml orange juice 1 tbsp bitters ltsp sugar syrup (optional) Juice of 1-2 lemons 300m1 bitter lemon 2 cucumber or lemon slices. 2. BEETROOT AND CARROT DRINK 1 raw beetroot 2 medium carrots 1 apple (red or green) 500m1 pure water Method 1. Mix well and pour in to cocktail glasses. Mash the pawpaw or pulp in a blender. The fleshy part of pineapple is cut and served as a dessert or refreshments. Wash lemon(s) and squeeze out the juice. Cut into small chunks and put in a bowl. Combine all the ingredients in a jug except the cucumbers7 lemon slices and the bitter lemon soft drink. Method 1. Serve chilled. peel and remove the hard core at the middle. ORANGE AND MILK PUNCH 500m1 (2 cups) orange juice 1 tbsp sugar/honey 500ml diluted evaporated milk 1 tsp milk flavour . Sweeten with syrup and add the lemon juice. Remove from heat. Wash. PINEAPPLE DRINK 4 slices or small ripe pineapple 1 lime/lemon juice 700ml boiled water 1 tsp crushed ginger syrup to taste Method 1. Add the bitter lemon last. but do not peel beet root. 3. Sort the dried zobo flower to remove all dirt in it. Use a blender or juicing machine to blend the fruits. 4. 3. 6. Wash them in clean water. Add previously boiled water to mashed pawpaw and strain into a glass jug. 5.
6. SOUR SOP DRINK 1 medium ripe sour sop 1 litre of previously boiled water syrup to taste ½ tsp nutmeg/vanilla Method 1. 2. 4. 2. Add the bitters and ginger ale. TEA PUNCH 250m1 apple juice 1 litre orange juice 500m1 brewed tea 2 tbsp bitters (optional) 1 bottle ginger ale (fanta ginger) 2 tsp ground cloves Orange slices to garnish Method 1. sweeten to taste with the sugar or honey. 4. Remove the flesh of the sour sop and discard the seeds. Add milk flavour 2. 2. Serve in tall glasses garnished with few pawpaw chunks. Wash fruit very well. The mixture now becomes a fairly thick liquid with some foamy substance and plantain pieces at the top. 3. 3. APPLE AND WINE DRINK 2 apples 1 lemon 75ml brandy 200m1 ginger ale. PLANTAIN DRINK 2 ripe plantains/ripe bananas syrup to taste (optional) 1 ½ litre boiled cooled water Method 1. M ix in remaining water and strain the liquid into a glass jar. Chill till serving. 6. Crush it and pass through a sieve to extract the juice. Place in a bowl and add a little water to the fleshy part. add sugar or syrup (if necessary) and boil for 20 minutes. 2. Filter the mixture through a fine sieve into another plastic or glass bowl. 4 lemon slices 2 tbsp sugar syrup . Wash and peel bananas/plantains.61 Method 1. Mash but do not blend the plantain pieces and add the water. Pour the fruit juices and tea over a large block of ice in a punch bowl. 5. Chill and serve garnished with lemon slices. Store in a plastic container in a cool place for about 24-48 h o u r s (overnight). 3. After heating cool and chill drink till service time. Garnish with orange slices serve in tall glasses. Slice into bits and put in a bowl. Add syrup and nutmeg/vanilla. CHAMPAGNE AND ORANGE JUICE COCKTAIL DRINK 500m1 champagne 1 tbsp honey 500m1 orange juice 4 lemon slices Method 1. Serve immediately in wine glasses garnish with lemon slices. Mix all the ingredients in a punch bowl. Pour mixture into an air-tight plastic bowl and cover well. Chill the orange juice and the wine. 5. chilled. Pour liquid into a pot. Avoid use of aluminum utensils. Note: Pineapple or grape fruit juices may be used or added. Mix the orange juice and milk together.
Mix all ingredients either by whisking or mixing in a blender. 4. BREAKFAST DELIGHT DRINK 1 tin evaporated milk (diluted) 400ml orange/pineapple juice 3 eggs Syrup to taste Method 1. strained juice and sugar syrup. LEMONADE 3 large lemons (ripe) Syrup to taste l000ml previously boiled water Method 1. CARROT MANGO DRINK 3 medium carrots (peeled and grated) 1 ripe mango . Peel the lemon and out the pit including the seeds. Cut into pieces. Stir in the remaining orange juice. one at a time. Add sugar if desired.62 Method 1. 2. Serve into four glasses and add ice cubes. Add eggs to mixture. 2. Wash and cut apples into sections. 2. Stir well and add the wine or ginger ale. Pour into glasses. Stir in the syrup and strain. 3. Wash and break eggs into saucer. Serve chilled with lemon slice topping as garnishing. tangerines. Wash lemons. lime or grapefruit can be used in place of lemon or in addition to lemon. Dust with nutmeg as garnishing. Decorate with slices of lemon and top the drink with ginger ale or fanta soft drink. Squeeze the juices from the lemons into a jug. Stir in the brandy. Add the syrup to the juices 4. 3. 2. Cut into halves and trim off few thin slices o f t h e rind from half of a lemon. Note: Oranges. Combine the juice in a bowl. Serve chilled. Half a teaspoon of brandy flavor can be used in place of pure brandy. 3. Blend half of the orange juice and milk in a blender until smooth. 3. Dissolved sugar in water. 2. Add ice cubes and lime/lemon slices and serve chilled. Add the lemon rind pour the water into the jar. Chill the brandy. Push the lemon pieces and apple sections through a juice extractor/blender. MIXED FRUIT DRINK (PUNCH) 500ml orange juice 500mlpineapplejuice 100ml lemon juice 1 bottle non-alcoholic fruit wine or 2bottlesgingerale 1 litre of chilled pure water 200m1 grape juice 100g sugar Method 1. ENERGY EGGNOG 1 egg 1 can of diluted evaporated milk 1 tbsp brandy (optional) 2tbsp honey 150m1 orange juice Method 1. Strain the juice into a jug. Mix well after each addition. Cover the jug and allow the lemonade to cool.
Place in a bowl and mash very well. DESSERTS/SWEETS Desserts are light food items that are used to add final touch to meals. They are usually served as the third courses in meals (fruits pies. Therefore. Melt margarine and leave to cool. 5. Add three quarters of the water to the carrots and strain out the liquid into a bowl. 3. beans pie or fish pie. Sieve flour and salt gradually incorporate into the egg and sugar mixture.63 Sugar to taste 800m1 water Method 1. cloves and vanilla Mix thoroughly. it is important to maintain good hygiene in order to prevent contamination of the products and prevent excessive changes in temperature This is very important in serving milk and fruit salad desserts. Wash. Most light desserts are usually served chilled. sugar and cream of tartar in a bowl over a pan of hot water. Cream eggs and sugar. Bake in a moderately hot oven for about 30 minutes ECONOMY VANILLA ICE CREAM 500ml evaporated milk 2 eggs . PINEAPPLE COCONUT DRINK 500m1 pineapple juice chilled 80m1 dark run or ½ tsp run flavouring 500m1 hot water 1 tsp vanilla extract 100g sugar ½ tsp ground cloves 1 pack cream of coconut Method 1. Leave to cool 3. stirring well till dissolved 2. 2. Whisk eggs. Beat in the vanilla and lemon extract. 6. In preparing and serving desserts. Dilute cream of coconut in the 500m1 hot water in a bowl Add sugar. Fold in the melted margarine or vegetable oil gently. cakes an puddings) and light dessert dishes (ices and fruits). 4. Continue until smooth mixture that light. creamy and double in size is obtained. CHIFFON CAKE 4 eggs 100g sugar 100gflour 1 tsp baking powder 50g margarine/3 ½ tbsp vegetable oil ½ tsp cream of tartar 1 tsp vanilla extract/lemon extract Method 1. 7. Mix carefully until slightly smooth Handle pastry gently. 5. 4. peel and chop mango flesh. Remove from heat and whisk until cold and thick. Add the pineapple juice and pour into a jug chill and serve garnished with cucumber slices and pineapple chunks threaded on cocktail skewers placed on glass of the drink. floured baking pan. 3. 2. Cover and set aside. Serve chilled in glasses with ice cubes. vegetable tarts. Mix the carrot and mango drink in a jug and sweeten with honey or sugar. Add the remaining water to the crushed mango and filter out the liquid. Stir in the run or run flavouring. Add margarine and nix well 2. Place in a greased. Fold in sifted flour and baking powder very gently 6. appropriate cooling temperature is important for maximum enjoyment of such dishes. They increase the enjoyment of meals. 3. making sure that it is not stretched 4. Allow to rest in a cool place before using for jam tarts. SUGAR PASTRY 200g sugar 100g margarine 2-3 tbsp water 1 egg 50g sugar ¼ tsp salt Method 1. Cut up carrots and blend to a smooth pulp.
Dissolve gelatine in 2 tbsp water and stir into milk mixture. 5. 4. Heat remaining milk for 2 minutes and pour over blended custard powder or cornstarch mixture. beating only the milk. 2. Cover mixture and freeze for another 5 -10 minutes while beating egg whites and remaining sugar to stiffness. Place the milk mixture over water simmering in the pan. Gradually add the vanilla or banana flavor essence. Heat milk to lukewarmness. Serve as dessert. 3. Beat the milk mixture until thick and stiff enough to form peaks. 4. Do not allow to boil. Cover in a plastic bowl and leave to set in the freezer (about 6 hours). 2. 3. FRENCH ICE CREAM 100g sugar 3 egg whites Pinch salt 250m1 evaporated milk\ 3 egg yolks 1 ½ ml vanilla(1 ½ teaspoon) 2 tbsp cornstarch Method 1.64 2 tbsp sugar 1 tsp vanilla/banana essence 15g gelatine 2 tbsp water Method 1. Get the egg-milk mixture from freezer and beat till smooth and creamy. Beat eggs slightly. stirring until it thickens. Fold the egg whites into the egg yolk and milk mixture. BAKED CUSTARD 4 eggs 1 tin evaporated milk diluted With 2 parts water 1 tsp vanilla/nutmeg Pinch of salt 2 tbsp sugar Method 1.serve topped with cornflakes. . Add the cooked cornstarch and mix well. Heat the mixture to hotness. 5. add sugar. milk. make it thick and set aside. Beat egg yolk and blend 25g of sugar. 4. stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. and bake for 25 minutes. stirring constantly as the mixture boils. Freeze in covered plastic container until it is firm (4hrs). 6. Freeze for 30 minutes until mushy. Add vanilla and chill before serving 8-10 servings. Beat reserved egg whites to stiffness and fold into the cooled milk. nutmeg and salt. fruit chunks or jam. Add vanilla and pour into a shallow pan. Note: Caramel may be poured into pan or individual queen cake pans before the custard (milk and egg mixture) is poured on it to bake. 3. 3. Separate eggs . Cook for 2 minutes longer and remove from heat. Pour into greased baking pan. sugar and egg yolk together. Vanilla/nutmeg Method 1. salt and milk. Return to sauce pan and cook over medium heat. CORNSTARCH CUSTARD 60g (4 ½ tbsp) sugar 270m1 milk 40-50g (3 ½ tables) custard powder or plain cornstarch. Serve in cups. 2. 2. Mix cornstarch or custard and a little milk. vanilla. mixture. Remove from heat and leave to cool. Makes 6-8 servings. Cook water in a pan and leave to simmer. Prepare cornstarch with little boiled water.
3. PARTY VANILLA ICE CREAM 500m1 evaporated milk 1 tbsp gelatin (15 gram) 1 tbsp vanilla /banana flavour ½ cup corn flakes (crushed) 2 eggs 2 tbsp sugar 5 tbsp water ¼ cup coconut flakes Method 1. Cover bowl and place mixture in the freezer Leave to chill for about 40 minutes until the mixture is fairly set 6. (not hard frozen) stirring once.65 FRUIT FREEZE 2 teaspoon lemon/lime juice 250m1 orange juice 1 tsp vanilla 250 ml pineapple juice 250m1 mango juice Method 1. Heat 250ml milk diluted with 3tbsp water to warmness. Juice from pawpaw can also be added. 2. Scoop into cocktail glasses and garnish with a slice of lemon. Keep refrigerated. stirring occasionally. Combine all the fruits in a bowl. Use as spread for bread and filling for doughnuts. Pour warm milk over egg mixture. Beat eggs. and cut into triangles or squares MANGO FLUFF 3 ripe mangoes 1 sachet gelatin ½ tsp. sugar and vanilla/banana flavour together. 2. 3. except shredded coconut. Cover and chill for at least 3 hours. CRUNCHY FRUIT SALAD 1 apple diced 1 banana sliced 1 large orange in fleshy sections ¼ watermelon deseeded and diced 50 grams raising! mixed fruits 4 tbsp shredded coconut ½ cup orange juice 3 tbsp honey 2 tbsp lemon juice Method 1. Pour lemon juice over banana and diced apples to prevent browning of the surface immediately after slicing. Cook until set but not sticky (about 35 minutes). vanilla . 2. 3. 3. Cool and bottle. Bring out and beat well again till mixture is fluffy Mix cornflakes and coconut flakes and line the bottom of a square dish Pour ice cream over coconut and com flakes. Add the remaining sugar and lime juice. pour dissolved gelanne over cooled mixture Add the remaining evaporated milk and beat till fully blended. Toss gent1y using a wooded spoon. While still hot. Serve decorated with corn flakes. 2. Place the bowl of milk -egg mixture over another bowl of hot water (not directly inside hot water) and whisk the mixture till it thickens. 4. 4. Colour is golden brown. Cook half of the sugar and water with the pineapple chunks until the fruit is soft. FRUIT JAM 40grams chopped pineapple (2 mgt) 250m1 water 1 tbsp lime juice 300grams (1 mgt) sugar Method 1. Top with coconut pieces. lemon juice 1 tin evaporated milk 60 grams icing sugar 6 tsp. Freeze until mushy. 4. Remove from the hot water bowl and leave to cool. Take back to freezer and leave for about 3-4 hours to allow the ice cream to be fully set. Combine all the above ingredients in plastic bowl and mix well. Toss gently again before serving into cocktail glasses or salad cups. Dissolve gelatine in the remaining 2tbsp4water over low heat. 5. Mix orange juice and honey and pour over the fruits.
Add the mango juice. 3. Press the juice through a sieve into a bowl and reserve the juice. Cut the bread into pieces and soak in the milk dissolved in half the (75g) sugar. 4. Cover and freezer till set. Place the dishes/cups in a roasting pan and pour enough hot water halfway up the sides of the pans. add the eggs. 3. Add lemon juice and sugar. Whisk the chilled milk and sugar. Dissolve gelatin and chill till firm. 5. Pour the mixture over the crumbs and cover the top with the other ½ of the corn flakes crushed into crumbs. Bake in a preheated oven for 30. 3.66 Method 1. Scoop gently into desert cups and top with the mango chunks. Grease 8 baking cups (moi moi cups) and fill each with equal amount of the pudding mixture. combine100g of margarine. SPECIAL PUDDING 125grams margarine 1 egg ¼ tsp salt ½ tsp all spice/cinnamon 120 grams sugar 130 grams sifted flour 1 tsp baking powder/soda 100g currants/raising(optional) . 4. Beat milk until thick. Beat eggs and add the flavourings. 6. m. 6. 6. 4. Chill the milk for 3 hours 2. BREAD PUDDING ½ loaf of bread (day old) 570m1 milk (diluted) 3 eggs (beaten) 100g mixed fruits/currants 1 tsp vanilla essence SAUCE Pinch ( ½ tsp ) ground ginger 120g margarine 1 50g sugar 1 egg 4 tbsp lemon juice 1 tsp nutmeg Method 1. Gradually add the gelatin mixture. Sprinkle ½ of the corn flakes into a round or square pans. 2. When the pudding are cooked. Add the beaten 1 egg and whisk till thick. Whisk gelatin till fluffy. ginger and remaining sugar 75g over a boiling water till melted. add the gelatin mixture and beat well. beat gelatin until fluffy. 5. . 7. Sour sop juice (undiluted) may be used. LEMON FLUFF 1 tin evaporated milk 1 package lemon flavored gelatin 2 ½ cups (200g) corn flakes 60m1 lemon juice 100g sugar Method 1.40 minutes. Allow to cool Place sauce on plate and serve the pudding on top. When set. Preserve 3 tbsp of chopped mango for topping and mash the remaining by masher or use blender. Peel and chop the mango flesh. 5. vanilla. Chill in the freezer for some 4 hours before serving into cocktail or dessert glasses! cups as a dessert or refreshment. Dissolve gelatin in 1 Y2 cups (360m1) hot water chill the gelatin until thick. vanilla and lemon. Mix gently. When the bread is softened. 2. lemon juice. Chill milk for about 3 hours. mixed fruits ginger and nutmeg.
67 Method 1. PAW PAW ICE DESSERT 225 grams sugar 600 grams ripe pawpaw 250m1 orange/pineapple juice 1 large lemon juice 50m1 cold water Method 1. 3. Arrange the filled cups in a around pan and add ½ inch level of water to the baking pans. 3. Remove syrup from heat and cool. nutmeg and baking powder Stir in the milk until smooth 3. sugar. pudding may be streamed on top of the cooker. FRUIT COCKTAIL DESSERT 125 grams margarine 130 grams flour 100 grams sugar 180ml diluted milk 100 grams each chopped 2 tsp baking powder Pineapple. egg and milk. Pour into the pan with the melted margarine. diced ¼ watermelon diced A 100g sugar 1 can evaporated milk 2 slices pawpaw. salt and baking powder together. Sieve all into a plastic bowl and place in the freezer for 1-2 hours until mixture is mushy or fairly set. baking powder/soda. Add vanilla. flour. Spoon into well-greased custard queen cake cups ¾ fullness. mix flour. Remove from freezer and whisk the mixture return to the freezer and freeze till ice is semi-solid Scope into dessert bowls and serve cold. 5. FRUITED ICE MILK 1 firm mango. 4. Blend in the milk gradually 2. When set remove from heat and place upside down in dessert bowls to serve. Pour the mixture into the greased pans and bake in pre-heated over for about 30 minutes or until set. 4. Sieve well Add the raisins. Add the remaining ingredient and mix together. Serve into dessert plates and top with ice cream or vanilla sauce. Mix salt. Bake in 350 of pre-heated oven for 45 minutes 6. 4. flour. and all spices in a separate bowl. Make 6 servings. Bake pudding over medium heat till it is set (about 20mmutes). Add flour ingredients to the creamed margarine mixture and blend well. Alternatively. Mash the pawpaw chunks to smooth paste Add to the orange juice and sugar mixture. Pour into a bowl and stir in the orange/pineapple and lemon juice 3. 6. Makes 10 serving. diced 100g raisins . COCONUT DELIGHT 100g sugar 70g sifted flour ¾ tsp baking powder 80g shredded coconut/cashew 250m1 diluted milk a pinch of salt ½ tsp vanilla 50g margarine (melted) Method 1. Add the sugar. 5. Cream margarine and sugar till fluffy. 6. Heat the cold water and sugar in a pan till the sugar dissolve 2. Wash peel and chop pawpaw 4. 5. Melt margarine in a square or round cake pan 2. orange and mango ½ tsp nutmeg Method 1. Spoon the fruit chunks evenly over the batter. Grease generously two shallow round pans. In a bowl. 2.
Cover the bowl and return to freezer and freeze till firm. Remove from freezer and whisk very well Add the sugar and whisk again 3. . 4. Fold the fruits into the whisked milk in the bowl.68 Method 1. Serve in cocktail glasses. Pour evaporated milk in a plastic bowl Place in the freezer till ice form around the side of the bowl 2.
mixing bowls and spoon. 7. aesthetic value and quality of cakes. if frozen. When baked. Piping Set: Plastic or metal piping tubes or bags with nozzles to fit used in making various decorative design on the coated cake. The main purpose of icing cakes is to enhance the beauty. For the icing: Icing sugar. Place cake on the middle rack of the oven about and leave for 35-45 minutes until cake is tested with a skewer for doneness. zigzag ruler/comb etc. For the decoration: Decorating syringes or tubes (plastic or metal). icing colour kits. decorating rule or comb. The right equipment 2. coffee. margarine. electric mixer. carrot cake. 4. Creaming gives better result. richness. 4. spatulas or palette knife. Pastry Brush: Used in brushing off loose crumbs from the caked cake before application of icing. Icing also contributes to the taste of the baked product and prevents loss of moisture. Consider method of mixing. 6. Always defrost the cake completely before icing. Palette Knife: Stainless steel flat knife without shape edges which are used for spreading icing on cake surfaces. plastic or metal turntable. Nozzles are available in different shapes and sizes. Smoothers: These are smooth surface plastics used for giving smooth finishes to the sides and tops of the cake coated with Fondant or sugar paste icing. 7. For cake baking: Cake recipe. (marble. Rolling Pin: Wooden pan with non-absorbed surfaces for rolling out sugar paste and Fondant icings for decoration. Cake Board: Necessary for placing the cake. The bottom may be lined with wax paper after greasing instead of flouring for easier removal of baked cake. 5. egg beater. rolling boards and pins.69 Chapter Eight CAKE ICING Cake icing is a method of using very smooth sugar mixtures to add finishes and decoration to baked cakes. Pre-heat the oven to temperature (gas mark 3) specified by recipe. Cake Baking Information 1. nozzles. cooling racks. Success in cake icing depends on three major factors: 1. The type of ingredients used and mixing technique. Complete mixing of cake ingredients and pour butter into the greased and floured cake pan. Cream the cake and mix to recipe directions. 6. 2. DECORATING EQUIPMENT AND TOOLS The appropriate tools make it possible to create pleasing and stunning decoration as your skills develop. The cake may be iced in about one and half hours after baking or it may be frozen up for up to three months in heavily wrapped foil before icing. 8. design rollers. To remove cake from the pan. 3. Place the cooled cake in a cake board for the icing. It is available in plastic or foil scaled thick papers. 8. eggs. 3. 5. Scrapers: These are serrated edge triangular metal or plastic tools used for giving patterned surface to the sides and tops of cakes usually coated with royal or butter cream icing. Place the cake in the pre-heated oven and bake according to temperature specified. marking rings and cutters (plastic or metal). Start by deciding on the type of cake desired. Skill in application of creative knowledge in designing special decorations. remove cake from oven and let cool in the pan on a cake rack for 10 minutes. Pastry Cloth/Rolling Pin Cloth (2 pieces) Canvas Cloth or smooth polythene which promotes even rolling without sticking when working with sugar paste or fondant icing. Spread the batter evenly to the sides of the pan. Sprinkle about 1 tbsp flour on all the greased surfaces of the pan and shake off excess flour to prevent cake from sticking to the pan after baking. wooden spoon. ingredients. The only special tools needed are as follows: 1. 2. 2. electric mixer. decorating bags. sieve etc. 3. Lift the pan off carefully and let the cake cool completely for at least one hour. cake boards. scale and other measuring tools. place the cooling rack over the top of the pan and urn both pan and cake over. cake pans. Another important benefit of cake icing is that it serves as a means of developing ones creative skills and resourcefulness that brings about special feeling of satisfaction. wooden spoon. 3. . aluminum foil wrap. Set aside. rich cake etc) and obtaining the ingredients specified by the recipe. Different shapes are available according to cake pan sharp. It should have soft natural brittles that should leave no marks when brushing. The following are some specialized pieces of cake decorating equipment: 1.
Icing can be used for piping and more 2tsp milk can be added to stiff icing to thin the icing. For icing. Use a pastry brush to remove loose crumbs from the cake. Reserve the remaining sugar. glass or stainless steel bowls that are easy to hold and is provide good support. syrup/jam for cake icing to stick well to the cake. Continue beating till the mixture is stiff but is of spreading consistency. 3. Set aside for it to dry in order to prevent the cake crumbs from appearing when the second coating is applied. Re-beat the icing mixture and spread generously over the cake surface. 13. 6. Remove about 4 tbsp of the icing in another bowl and spread all over the cake surfaces as first coating over the cake. 4. Mix Bowls: Plastic. These include cups. Place the cake on a cake board. 9. Place margarine. 2. making sure none of the egg yolks get into the white and beat gently to stiffness. 8. Brush off cake crumbs and position the cake properly on the cake board. Cream with wooden spoon or electric mixer. Follow the icing tips presented in this book. Apply sugar syrup or jam all over the surfaces of the cake.70 9. Egg Separator: Plastic or aluminum tool which is efficient in quick separation the white and yolk portions of eggs in preparation of royal and sugar paste icing. 2. 15. 5. Sift the icing sugar. BUTTER CREAM ICING 1kg icing sugar (sifted) 2 tsp vanilla essence 75ml tbsp milk (diluted) colouring One 8 inch diameter baked cake Jam or sugar syrup 1 tbsp lemon juice 250g soft butter or margarine/solid shortening Method 1. The cake with sugar. Separate egg white from the egg. Stainless Steel/Sifter: This should be well designed to provide fast and Efficient sifting. 11. spoons. 14. Measuring Tools: Items for measurement with easy-to-read measurements for both liquid and thy measurements. 6. They are useful in making decoration and flowers using sugar paste fondant icings and mexican or petal paste. Gradually add the remaining milk and beat till the mixture is smooth and fluffy in consistency. 5. gradually stir in sifted 900g icing sugar arid egg white. Add the glycerin and lemon juice. allow coatings to get dried and use stiffer consistency for piping desired decoration on the cake. Cover and set aside for about 30 minutes. 7. using palette knife or spatulas. sifted icing sugar. 4. SUGAR PASTE ICING 1kg icing sugar (sifted) 3 ½ tbsp liquid glucose (warmed) Colouring Jam or syrup 2-2 ½ medium egg white 2 tbsp glycerin corn flour . Stainless Steel Whisks: Long egg whisks with solid handles provide good control and makes whisking easy. 12. Icing/Turntable: Metal or plastic cake stand that revolves ort urns particularly in icing or piping the sides of around cake with royal or buttercream icing. Use thin icing made by adding a little ½ tbsp egg white to 5 tbsp icing in a separate bowl and spread lightly all over the surface of the cake. In a mixing bowl. vanilla and half of the milk in a mixing bowl. Icing can be stored in the refrigerator for 2-3 days or even 3 weeks in air tight container. 10. 7. Add remaining sugar to make icing stiff if necessary. jugs and scale. 3. It Is usually expensive but use full for perfect finish. Cutters: These are available in different shapes and sizes. Add more sugar to make icing stiff if necessary. Spread the icing as second coating on the cake by following the steps for icing described in this chapter. SUGGESTED ICING RECIPES ROYAL ICING 1kg (2 packs) icing sugar 1 ½ tbsp glycerin 2-3 drops of lemon juice 2 ½ (egg whites) few drops of colouring one 8 inch diameter baked cake Jam or sugar syrup Method 1. Beat well with a mixer or wooden spoon.
remove the mixture from heat and add drops of flavour or colouring if desired. Attaching ornaments and sugar beads if desired. pliable and no longer sticks to the hands. 2. 5. Keep fondant covered with a damp cloth to prevent a hard surface from forming. use same method of preparation to apply petal taste icing using these ingredients. 6. Now place half of the sifted icing sugar in a bowl and make a well. flower or other designs such as board twists. and water (a drop at a time) and if it is too soft. Knead well. bring out from freezer. Gently. As you roll. 7. . use a pastry cloth to roll out icing for smooth finish. Dusting corn starch powder or icing sugar on a flat surface. Let mixture stand and cool to lukewarm. knead the sugar mixture or fondant. 12. Roll out the icing on a sugar or corn flour dusted board as a flat sheet. Trim excess from the base. Mix in more sugar. 5. 10. Always use fondant icing immediately or store in airtight containers in the refrigerator/freeze for several days before using. glycerin and cold water in saucepan and stir well until thick. 8. using cake smoother. 3. add the liquid glucose and water. into a circle or square that fit the size of the diameter of the cake and double the height of the cake at once. 2. 3. Method 1. liquid glucose. 4. Leave paste in air tight container of room temperature for about & 12 hours before using. Add the sugar and blend them very well. Use cutters to make plaits. Add the beaten egg white. allow it to defrost and knead again until soft and pliable. lift the fondant and dust more corn starch powder to the fondant to prevent it ‘from sticking to board surface. use a textured rolling pin to roll over the coated cake to give the design on the pin. Gather the sugar and gelatin mixture into a firm ball. 11. Decorate with piping softer icing or cut out flowers and designs. leaves. Attentively. 9. 2. ROLLED FONDANT ICING 1kg sifted icing sugar ½ sachet gelatin 30m1 cold water (2 tbsp) 60g liquid glucose (4 tbsp) I egg white 2tsp gum tragacanth 1 ½ tbsp shortening 200g cornstarch (for rolling) drop of food colouring as desired jam or sugar syrup. Smooth and shape the fondant on the cake. Mix icing sugar and gum together. If fondant is too stiff. Beat the egg white and glycerin in a bowl till frothy. lift the flat icing sheet with spatulas and cover the syrup or jam coated cake.71 Method 1. using a rolling pin on a clean board. Coat cake surfaces with j am or syrup. then place the paste in a plastic bag. 7. using a wooden spoon until mixture is fully mixed up. MEXICAN (PETAL) PASTE 1 kg king sugar (sifted) 1 ½ tsp gum tragacanth 4 tbsp liquid glucose 2 eggs whites! 8Oml water Cornstarch for rolling Method 1. 6. Place the ball of icing on the floured board smooth of surface and knead continually mixture is soft and pliable. . Sprinkle extra sugar or corn flour on a rolling board and gather the mixture into a ball. Combine gelatin. 4. When ready to use. For decorative rolling. Press and smoothen icing against all surfaces of the cake with palette knife or smoother. 8. add more icing sugar. Roll out the fondant in enough portions. Stir in the shortening and while shortening is not completed melting. Note: Alternatively. Continue to knead until the ‘fondant is smooth. Gently lift the fondant over the rolling pin and place over the jam coated cake. 3. Pour the lukewarm gelatin mixture and gum into well of icing sugar and stir well with a wooden spoon. a little at a time until the icing sugar are added. Place the mixture over low heat and heat until dissolved.
2. Filling the decorating bag/syringe or tube: Use a palette knife/spoon to fill the bag or tube from the pushing end after coupling the desired decorating tip/nozzle. it is important to have an idea of the cake design and the details you desire. Freshly baked cakes tend to crumble and flake off their crumbs. 7. flowers and stars stand out in the cake. Flavouring may be added to the icing if necessary 10. In the 45° position. Allow first coat to dry (about 30 minutes or more). Sieve the icing sugar before use for smoothness. 6. Making ones special design promotes creativity and originality. Piping is very popular way of decorating. When mixing. As a basic rule. hold the tube or bag with nozzle pointing down and held perpendicular to the cake surface. With one hand. . 2. spread thin icing first on all the surfaces of the syrup-coated cake with a palette knife. Fill the bag or tube half full of icing. Ensure that all necessary tools and equipment arc well assembled in order of use before icing is applie4i 11. flowers and shell designs require stiff icing consistency. Always use small amount of colour since food colours intensify and get sharper when mixed and with time. To make this easier. Use toothpick to add paste colour while liquid colouring in added is drops. (c) Pushing the excesses to the sides. leaves. (b) Spread across the whole top surface. Use a mixer to combine the ingredients. Cakes baked the previous day are more easily decorated. DECORATION TECHNIQUES Decorations are essential in making the cake attractive and unique. After trimming off invert the cake on a board and use a pastry brush to remove all the loose crumbs. It involves the use of piping set (decorating bag or syringe). 5. Start icing from the top of the cake by: (a) Placing a large amount of icing on the centre of the top (for royal and butter cream icing). Apply a little pressure to the palette knife and smoothen the top last. You can use any cake design book or make your own sketches of the type if arrangement that is needed. Be sure not add much paste or liquid colour but always ensure to mix the colour thoroughly in the icing before adding more. guide the decorating tip with the other hand. 3. sugar paste etc. pushing the icing towards the opening or nozzle. In the 900 angle. Consistency: This is a very important aspect in determining the shape of the piping that should look right and attractive. Decide on type of decoration to be done on the cake as well. Positioning of the bag/syringe to pipe: there are two basic ways of positioning the decoration tube-the 90 angle and the 45 angle. This can be done after the cake is completely cool. 1. trim off the crown or raised portions of the cake. Coat the surfaces of the cake with apricot jam or sugar syrup. Boarders of cake need medium of consistency for ease in squeezing out the icing. 3. Using a bread knife. a few drops of blue colour or lemon juice can be used to whiten the icing. 5. check the recipe for rolled fondant icing. 4. The basics of piping on iced cake include the following: 1. 2. Choose desired or appropriate type of icing. Give a smooth finish. follow these guidelines. 4. ensuring that the palette knife does not get too close to the cake so that the icing does not catch the crumbs. chilling the cake first is recommended. A turntable or a turning cake stand makes it easier particularly for round cakes. hold the decorating bag or tube at a slanting angle to the surface but not touching the cake. CAKE ICING PROCEDURE Icing is best on a cake when the cake has smooth texture and level surfaces. 3. Away practice the decoration on another surface before applying directly to icing coated cake. when planning for the cake. Use clean and dry equipment.72 GENERAL RULES FOR ICING 1. Start by leveling the surface to ensure that the top is even and not peaked. (d) Ice evenly all over the top and all the sides till all surfaces are iced. 9. For royal icing and butter cam icing. Use good quality ingredients and avoid icing sugar that is already caked or solidified. Chilling the cake before it is iced also makes icing easier. Always use enough of any colour because it is difficult to obtain the same icing colour later. apply pressure with the other hand that follows next. 8. stars. To achieve good decoration. Colour is what gives icing beauty and personality so that the cake boarders. Before making decorations. For fondant icing.
Round nozzle has plain round opening and comes in various sizes. bows. Shell nozzle has serrated curved opening which is used for making shells. Butter cream or royal icing can be also be used in combination with rolled fondant in decorating the cake. Making Decoration with Cutters To make decorations with rolled fondant or sugar paste icing. Apply pressure and control in piping: The type and size of decoration that is piped depends on the size of opening in the decoration nozzle and the amount of pressure applied. With the other hand. flowers like small rose and basket weave. 1. shells. Follow these guidelines in making cut-out patterns decoration. 2. Leaf: To make a leaf. using butter cream icing. This nozzle is used for writing messages. pulling tip away to form the shell’s tail. letter and numbers. cut many shapes and place them on a floured surface for them to dry. 5. zigzag and rosettes or drop flowers. lift the tip of the nozzle slightly to let icing build up the fan into a full base. 5. c. 4. . lines. Use this nozzle to print horizontal lines. 3. You may first form the letter/words using toothpick or cut-out to mark the positions of the letters or word on the cake surface. Check diagram in the book on directions. DECORATION NOZZLE TYPES There are many popular tips or nozzle of various sizes used for a variety of decorating techniques. vertical lines and vary lines by moving the nozzle in straight lines. Zigzag: To make zigzag. use the leaf nozzle and hold the tube a t 4 5 ° angle and follow the same procedure as for making shells. Twist the end of the bag closed. To do this hold the decorating tube at 45° angle and push out icing and the letters are formed. 2. use special metal or plastic cutters. For a row of shells. Control and stop applying pressure when the decoration is created. the bigger the opening. Push in the handle of the tube in order to squeeze out the icing through the nozzles on the cake surface. Using cutters for roses. or b. Relax and stop the pressure. Pull tip way. hold the plain round tip at 900 angle with the tip slightly touching the surface of the iced caked. Ropes can be made by hand twisting long strips of hand rolled icing of two or three different colours. beads and balls. Apply pressure to squeeze the icing as the hand is moved in a side to side motion which forms the zigzags. You may also write straight unto he cake surface. 5. 2. They are identified according to the shape of the openings on the nozzles or sizes in an icing set. Shell: To make shell. stars or other shapes. and heavy pressure. attach the cut outs to their position on the cake. start another shell on the tail of the previous one. Star nozzle with star-shaped opening is used for making stars. making dots. 4. Prepare rolled fondant icing and roll out on the flat surface. hold the tube of 900 angle with the surface of the cake.73 4. stems of flowers. Stars: In order to make stars. Leaf nozzle had side slits and a deep v-opening which is used for making plain and ruffled leaf. Press out the icing with enough pressure to build the bead of ball as for stars. Such twists can be used as boarders. the larger he decoration. rope boarders and puffs. 3. Writing: To print or write words. The shapes are usually cut out and left to dry before being pasted on the iced cake. beads and outline of shapes. The most common types are as follows: 1. Ornaments. As the decorating tube is filled with icing and held in position (900 or 45°angle) on the cake surface: a. To make the above mentioned techniques follows these tips: 1. Apply a little pressure to press out the icing and pull the tip away and the star is formed. use the plain round nozzle used for dots to write. Ribbon/Rose nozzle has a tear shaped opening and is used to make ribbons. 6. ribbons and live lowers may also be added as decoration. Softer fondant or butter cream icing is used to attach the flower or other designs to the iced cake. hold the tube with one hand at 45° angle (slanting) with nozzle above cake surface. 4. 3. When dry. hold the star nozzle at45° angle with tip of nozzle slightly touching the iced cake surface. Dots/balls: To make dots.
Warn. .S. Ilodder and Stonghton Education Ltd. Patricia (1984) Family Cookbook. Merehurst (2000) Beginners Guide to Cake Decorating: www. Illinois-U. Ferguson. E. Wisconsin. J. and Kinton R. Wilton Enterprises (1987) Cake Decorating. Octopus Books (1976) A-z of Cooking London Evans Brothers Ltd.74 REFERENCES Ceserain. (1990) Practical Cookery. Hong Kong: Ohenheimer Publishers.The Process Approach. Ideals Publishing Corporation.0 (2002) Food Preparation and Service. V. Tiger Books International. Mc Cormick &conpany (1991) Mc Cormick Cook Book. Culpitt.. (1985) The Students Cookery Book.T.Wright.com Ochonogor.England The Broadwater Press Ltd. (1 994) The Complete Cook London. G. Stephenson. . O’ Reilly.COEWA Publishers. Oxford University Press. (1990) Creative Cake Decorating Made Easy Heart Fortishire. E. England.A Beginner’s Guide.A. Henson.merehurst. Stanley Thomas Publishing Ltd. (1981) Basic Cookery. Wiltonn Enterprises. Kemt. Oxford.
This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
We've moved you to where you read on your other device.
Get the full title to continue listening from where you left off, or restart the preview.