This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
meal. Soups are tasty and nutritious. They can be served alone or accompanied by croutons, buttered toasts, dinner rolls or plain bread triangles and crackers. There are different types of soups: a) Clear soups made from thin stocks. b) Creamed soups-made from basic stocks and thickened with milk, flour or starch, with other ingredients added. c) Pureed soups-thickened by puree of ingredients, usually by first boiling them, then blending them and filtering the mixture to gain the thickened mixture. In preparing soups, follow these suggestions; 1. Use acceptable stock from meats or fish. Dehydrate stocks such as chicken seasoning cubes, maggi cubes and dadawa cubes can be used as alternatives. One maggi or chicken seasoning cube added to 250m1 of water equals 250rnl of beef or chicken stock. 2. All food items such as meats and vegetables added must be in bite sizes. 3. Excessive heat can cause cream soups to curdle, therefore use moderate heat. 4. Avoid excessive use of spices and seasoning. Sauces are forms of liquid or semi-liquid soup preparations that are served with another food item. They are used to assist in presenting the food item and to complete the use of that food. Unlike soups, sauces cannot be served alone. Sauces can be used a) As background for food items e.g. tomato sauce, b) As a binding agent to hold foods together (e.g mayonnaise) c) As a topping on another food (e.g. custard sauce for cake and puddings and ketchup for meats). Sauces need: a) Stock, as the basic ingredient; b) Seasonings to provide the major taste c) Colour agent which must come from the stock and d) The thickening agent which may be eggs, flour or starch egg yolks provide good colour as well. In preparation of sauces, the fat is first melted, the flour is stirred into it, then the stock is poured into it and the mixture is cooked (simmered) In some gravies and sauces ,the starch or flour is first mixed with cold water before putting the fat and other ingredients. It is important not to overcook the flour fat mixture, but allow enough time for even distribution. MINCED BEEF SOUP 300 grams minced beef 1 litre of water 2 medium of tomatoes (chopped) 2 stalks celery (sliced) 1 tsp pepper (ground) ½ tsp thyme 3 carrots (diced) ¼ of small head cabbage (cutup) 2 large potatoes (diced) 1 medium onion (sliced) salt to taste 1 seasoning cube
Method 1. Clean and prepare all the vegetables as indicated. 2. Put the minced beef in a sauce pan and cook for about 10 minutes. Add water and salt to taste. 3. Boil for 5 more minutes. 4. Add the remaining ingredients except tomatoes and cook for another 15 minutes. 5. Add the tomatoes and simmer slowly for 10 minutes more. 6. Serve hot with crackers or toasted bread as appetizers. Serves 10. Note: Flake fish (cooked) can be used in place of minced beef and other flavorings can be added.
2 FRENCH ONION SOUP (APPETIZER) 60g margarine ¼ tsp curry 40g onions, peeled and thinly sliced ½ tsp thyme (3-4 medium Onions) Salt and white pepper to taste 3 tbsp flour ½ tsp sugar (optional) 1 liter beef stock 2 slices of bread (for toasting) Method 1. Melt the margarine in a large saucepan over a moderate heat. 2. Stir in the onions and add the sugar. Cook uncovered, stirring constantly till the onions are light brown. 3. Sprinkle flour over the onions and cook for 2-3 minutes. 4. Pour on the stock and stir to blend the flour. 5. Add the remaining ingredients and cook over low heat. Simmer the sauce with pot covered for about 1015 minutes. 6. Cut the bread slices into cubes and toast in preheated oven or grill to make croutons. 7. Spoon the soup into soup bowls and top with the toasted bread serve hot. FRESH PRAWN SOUP (APPETIZER) 45g/3tbsp margarine 1 onion, finely chopped 1 sweet red pepper (seeded and chopped) 2 sticks celery-finely chopped 1 seasoning cube 2 garlic clove, grated Salt and pepper to taste 1.5 litre fish stock ½ tsp thyme ½ tsp crushed bay leaf 225g raw peeled prawns and boiled 3 tbsp flour 2 spring onions chopped
Method 1. Melt the margarine and add the onion, pepper, celery, green onion and garlic. Cook gently to soften. 2. Stir in the flour and cook over gentle heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. 3. Pour in the stock gradually, stirring well. 4. Add the thyme, bay leaf and any other remaining ingredient. Add the prawns and cook for about 2 minutes. 5. Reduce heat and allow to simmer for about 5 minutes until thickened. Remove from heat and remove the bay leaf. 6. Top with chopped green onions before serving in soup bowls. Serve with buttered toasts. PRAWN/SHRIMPS COCKTAIL 1 cup (400g) cooked prawns / shrimps 3 stalks celery, diced 4-5 tbsp mayonnaise ¼ tsp salt lettuce leaves ½ chopped green pepper 2tbsp ketchup 1 tbsp lemon juice
METHOD 1. Put the cooked prawns on a board and cut in to pieces. Place the prawn chunks in a mixing bowl, add the mayonnaise, celery, green pepper, salt and lemon juice. Mix with a fork. 2. Toss together and serve salad on lettuce leaves placed in cocktail glasses or salad bowls. Drop ketchup over top to garnish the salad. Chill before serving as appetizer LIVER/KIDNEY SOUP 250g kidney 200g liver 1 bay leaf 2 tbsp margarine
3 2 large potatoes 1 litre of water 1 large onion 1 chicken seasoning cube 3 medium carrots salt and pepper to taste. Method 1. Prepare the first five ingredients by cleaning, washing and cutting them into cubes or dices. 2. Place them in a baking dish, then add salt, pepper and remaining ingredients. Cover the dish. 3. Place in the oven and bake for about 1 hour until the ingredients are tender. 4. Remove bay leaf and serve hot. Boiling method may be used. Makes 5-6 servings STEAK SOUP 400 grams steak, cooked and cut 1 small onion, finely chopped 2 tsp. parsley leaves, finely chopped ½ tsp. thyme 200g peas 1 Chicken seasoning cube ¼ tbsp margarine
½ teaps. nutmeg 1 litre boiling water 2 tbsp flour 2sliced celery stalks Pepper and salt taste 1 bay leaf
Method 1. Placed steak chunks in a large pot with onion, herbs and seasonings. 2. Pour water or stock over them and add cook for 15 minutes. 3. Melt margarine in a saucepan and add flour and a little liquid from meat to the fat and stir until smooth. 4. Add the flour-fat mixture to the soup, stirring constantly until slightly thickened. Stir in the peas. Simmer for 5minutes. 5. Serve into soup plates and garnish with tomato slices. Serves as appetizer for 4-6 guests. STEAK/CHICKEN SOUP 250g cooked beef/chicken (deboned) 4 potatoes 2 carrots ½ tsp curry 1 bay leaf 500m1 water/stock 1 litre margarine/oil salt and pepper to taste 1 medium onion 1 seasoning cube
Method 1. Cut the beef/chicken into 72-inch cubes or cutlets 2. Cut the onions, carrots and potatoes into ½ inch cubes. 3. Place all the ingredients in a saucepan and add the water. 4. Season the entire mixtures with the salt and pepper. 5. Cook mixture for about 30-40minutes till meat and vegetables are tender. 6. Remove the bay leaf and stir gently to thicken the sauce. Serve hot as appetizer. BROWN ONION SOUP I large onion (sliced) 1 ½ tbsp. flour 2 tbsp margarine 1 litre of beef stock 500g cooked beef cubes
1 tsp. fresh garlic (minced) pinch of curry salt and white pepper to taste 1 seasoning cube
Method 1. Melt half of the fat over low heat and fry onion slices until light brown. Remove onion and set aside. 2. Melt the remaining margarine and add the flour.
in 1 inch cubes 1 bay leaf. chopped 2 lives beef stock 2 fresh tomatoes.6 servings. Stir frequently. Simmer for 5 minutes and serve hot with toasted bread triangles. 2 tables. Add the potatoes. CREAMY FISH SOUP 1 medium scale fish. and stir in the thyme and curry. Add the cooked chicken and stock gradually while stirring. CHICKEN SOUP 2 tbsp margarine 500g cooked chicken in strips or chunks.in 1 inch cubes 4 carrots. salt. 2. 3. pinch thyme and curry Method 1. Salt and pepper 1 50m1 milk (diluted) 100g cooked peas Method 1.6 servings.in 1 inch cubes 1 tbsp chopped parsley or celery 2 tbsp margarine or vegetable oil 4 potatoes. chopped onion 1 litre chicken stock salt and pepper to taste. and allow soup to simmer for 10 minutes. Stir gently and cook for another 3 minutes. 3. Add the fish and the remaining ingredients. Garnish with chopped parsley or cucumber dices. Stir in onion and the flour. 3. pepper. cooked and deboned 750 fish stock 1 large onion. 4. chopped 1 bay leaf 1 tsp chopped garlic grated cheese 1 stalk celery (chopped) salt to taste . salt . 2. 4. Stir in the cooked peas 4. Remove from heat and serve into soup bowls accompanied with buttered toasts. Cook over medium heat. pepper . CREAM OF TOMATO SOUP 1 table spoon dry milk 1 tbsp salt 1 can tomato juice ½ tsp pepper 1 ½ tbsp margarine 1 tsp soy sauce 1 ½ tbsp flour 500m1 beef stock ½ seasoning cube. Serves 6-8. Stir together milk and flour. 2. Separate the deboned fish into chunks of about 1 inch sizes. tomato juice. Add the salt. Add the beef cubes. Melt the margarine or heat vegetable oil. carrots and bay leaf. 5. Make . Cook for 10 minutes and serve hot with toasted bread as appetizer. garlic and any other seasoning.4 3. MIXED VEGETABLE SOUP (APPETIZER) 1 large onion. Cook and stir the mixture until thick and well blended. Serve hot with buttered yeast rolls or bread slices. Gradually add beef stock. Makes 5. fat and stock in a saucepan. 4. pepper soy sauce and seasoning cube. Put flour and margarine in a saucepan and mix together. Method 1. Stir in the fried onion slices. 1 tbsp flour. Stir in the fish stock and cover pot to allow potatoes be cooked about 10 minutes.
green onion and garlic. PARSLEY TOMATOES APPETIZER 5 medium tomatoes 3 tbsp olive oil 1 cucumber 3tbsp red wine vinegar 1 tbsp minced parsley ¼ tsp salt Method 1. WHITE SAUCE (MILK GRAVY) 1 tbsp margarine 250m1 diluted milk 1 ¼ tbsp flour salt and white pepper to taste ½ tsp lemon juice/vinegar Method 1. 2. stirring well. 6. Cook gently to soften. mixing well. vinegar and salt 3.5 250g kidney beans 250g peas/green beans 3 tsp white pepper 2 cups cabbage (chopped) Method 1. Remove bay leaf. Mix together the olive oil. 3. Stir in the flour and cook over gently heat for 2-3 minutes. 2. chicken or over plain boiled rice. Simmer for 2 minutes. Reduce heat and allow to simmer for about 15 minutes until thickened. Sprinkle with the minced parsley and the olive oil mixture over the vegetables. Add the thyme. 2. 4. Melt the margarine and add the onion. stirring constantly until thickened. YELLOW SAUCE 1 tbsp flour 4 tbsp melted margarine 1 tsp salt ½ tsp pepper 150m1 milk 2 eggs (beaten) 1 seasoning cube . CURRY SAUCE 500mI chicken or beef stock 2 tsp dried onion flakes 2 tbsp curry powder 1 ½ tsp margarine 200g peas (optional) 2 tsp grated ginger 2 tsp flour/corn flour salt to taste 1 chicken seasoning cube Method 1. celery. red wine. Melt margarine and blend in flour. Combine all ingredients in a saucepan. Simmer. Serve with braised beef. Pour in the stock gradually. Slice cucumber thinly. Serve as sauce for shrimps and fish fingers or fish balls. Top with the chopped green onions or cucumber as garnishing before serving in soup bowls. bringing up to a boil and stirring constantly for 3 minutes until thickened. Wash and cut the ripe firm tomatoes in to 4 segments in each. pepper. stirring occasionally. Chill before serving. bay leaf and any other remaining ingredients. 3. 5. Add milk and seasonings. Add the prawns and cook for about 2 minutes. Place cucumber slices in a flat dish and arrange the tomato segment in between the cucumber arrangement. 2.
2 litres chicken stock ½ tsp nutmeg 1 stalk celery or parsley ½ tsp curry 1 fresh chili pepper 1seasoning cube 1 tbsp milk Method 1. SEA FOOD SOUP 300g large shrimps 300g oysters 300g clams 1 or 2 medium fresh pepper (chopped) 1 cooked fish (flaked) 1 can mushroom (sliced) 3 large tomato (cubed) 300g crab meat ½ tsp curry 1 medium onion ½ tsp thyme 1 tsp white pepper 1 can tomatoes puree/sauce 500m1 water 2 tbsp vegetable oil Method 1. 3 Stir in beaten eggs. crab). 4. oysters. Mix flour and half of the fat in a saucepan. chilli pepper and seasonings. 2.6 Method 1. Add the leeks. Add the mustard. Stir in the vinegar and cook for about 2 minutes. Melt fat. 1-Teat the vegetable oil in a saucepan and pour in the water. Cook for 20 minutes. Serve over vegetable salads. Stir well. 2. Cover pan and cook for 6 minutes till potatoes are cooked. yam or potatoes. 3. COOKED SALAD CREAM 1 tsp dry mustard l50ml milk 3 tsp sugar 4 tbsp white vinegar pinch black/white pepper 3 tbsp melted margarine 1 tsp salt 1 tbsp flour 1 or 2 eggs Method 1. add potatoes. cover again and cook for about 2 minutes. Gradually add egg mixture to flour mixture over low heat while stirring. white pepper and salt. 4. Serve 6-8 persons LEEKAND POTATO SOUP 30g margarine 2 large potatoes 4 medium sized leeks salt to taste 1 onion pepper to taste 1. Mix flour and melted margarine. stirring constantly. onion and stock. Clean and cut fish into bit size. Serve on fried fish or roasted chicken. 2. Add the fish mixture. 2. Add the puree tomato sauce and salt. dice onion. Simmer for 10 minutes and serve hot over boiled rice. Gradually and the rest of melted fat. 6. pepper and diced tomatoes. celery. Beat eggs and milk. 3. Add the cleaned shell fish (shrimps. . Add milk and bring to boil. stirring constantly until smooth. 4. potatoes and chili pepper. Clean vegetables. Place in a bowl and add onion. mushrooms. Chop the celery and slice the white part of leeks. Additional water can be added if needed. Simmer for 5 minute 5. 5. Add seasonings until smooth. Remove from heat and cool. 3. clams. thyme and curry.
and pumpkin leaves are generously used in either fresh or dry forms. the . turning the soup gently. Add diced onion. groundnut-oil. to thicken and to stabilize the soup products. Vegetables like bitter leaf. plantain. 7. When cooked. Simmer for 3 minutes to improve taste. seasoning cube and add pepper to taste. vitamins and minerals. Thicken the soup with the flour mixture and cook till onion. Most soups and sauces are normally composed of assorted variety of ingredients that are rich in proteins. Gradually add water and vinegar to the flour mixture and stir into the ground beef mixture. Mix together flour and vegetable oil and set aside. CHICKEN CORN SOUP ¼ chicken cut-up 1 1/2 litre water 1 large onion 2 diced hard cooked eggs 1 cob fresh corn/1 can processed corn 1 celery stalk ¼ tsp curry ¼ tsp ½ tsp grated garlic and ginger 1 tbsp flour ½ tsp white pepper salt to taste Method 1. soyabean and melon-oil are the popular types of fats used in the preparation of the soups and sauces. They are usually used a accompaniments or toppings to carbohydrate food forms. Although they do not make complete meals. NIGERIAN SOUP AND SAUCES Nigeria soups. waterleaf. Also. Simmer for 5 minutes. spinach. 6. cotton as well as yam. Apply heat and cook until beef is cooked (about 10 minutes). Season with salt.7 4. garlic and ginger in a saucepan. 9. 3. cornstarch and cassava starch pastes. Serve hot over plain boiled spaghetti. green pepper and chopped fresh tomatoes. stews and sauces are similar to continental types. Serve hot with crackers as an appetizer. Palm-oil. corn and celery are cooked. 3. celery and spices. onion. 4. Serve 6-8. Remove from heat and stir in milk before serving as appetizer. apon (agbono). remove the bones or debone the chicken Cuts. Most of the soups and sauces don’t need garnishing because of their colourful natures. various optional ingredients are use a to thicken the soup. 8. Stir in the tomato paste. SPAGHETTI SAUCE 400 ground beef 2 tbsp vegetable oil 1 small onion 2 fresh garlic grated ½ large grated ginger 2 large fresh tomatoes (cubed) 1 tbsp flour 300ml water 1 tsp sugar 1 tbsp vinegar 1 green pepper (chopped) 1 can tomato paste pepper and salt to taste 1 seasoning cube Method 1. 5. 5. The list includes assorted edible seeds such as melon. groundnuts. 7. discard the bones and return to the stock. 2. Thin soups such as pepper soups can be served alone as appetizers. Wash and cook the chicken with the water to cover it in the pot for about 20 minutes. They may be light or thickened. Stir in the corn and eggs. 6. Various types of local spices and condiments re usually added to soups to enhance flavour. 2. Put minced beef. rice or macaroni. 4. Cut the fleshly parts into small slices. salt and flour. they are highly valued aspects of meals. cocoyam. Make a batter with some of the broth.
add to the boiling mixture and cover pot. The soup becomes thicker. Put in a pot with half of the water and ½ tsp salt and cook till tooth-done. Now add the crayfish. washed and lemon grass leaves and lime leaf. Mix well. 3. fish and vegetables used. Examples are ready to use pepper soup. salt and potash. 2. Remove from heat and serve hot with pounded yam balls. pepper and locust bean. They are available on supermarket shelves.8 abundance of meats. BEEF OFFAL (PEPPER SOUP) 1 medium sized beef/kidney 1 small lime leaf (fresh) 250 tongue/ heart 4 lemon grass leaf 3 tbsp melon seeds (optional) salt to taste 300g cleaned tripe (shaki) 1 seasoning cube 250g liver 1 ½ litre water 1 tsp ground dried pepper Pinch tsp potash (optional) 2 seeds African nutmeg (crushed) 1 pod of enge or uda (seeds removed and crushed) Method 1. 6. Cover and leaves to boil for 5 minutes. 4. BITTER LEAF SOUP 450g lean beef. 5. 3. Prepare stockfish and smoked fish and boil till tender. The recipes presented are simple enough for anyone to prepare. palm oil and cooked beef. 6. Dissolve this mixture with a little liquid from meat stock and stir into the soup. Grind melon seeds and spices to a smooth paste. seasoning cube. Add the beef stock. Some of the soups and sauces are available in convenience forms. 7. melon and apon soup preparations. Place over heat and toast the melon seeds until they are lightly browned. Lemon grass. 4. Season with salt to taste. Stir well and allow the soup to simmer for about 10 minutes more. Continue to cook. Pound the thickener (cocoyam/yam) into 2 balls. ground salt to taste 1 tsp ground locust bean ½ sachet seasoning mix . Wash and cut the meat into bit-sized chunks. 8. Simmer for about 5 minutes. 2. Stir in the bitter leaf and leave to simmer for 5 minutes for tastes to blend. WATER LEAF SOUP 600g beef (cut-up and cooked) 300m1 palm oil 1 ½ tsp ground pepper 4 fresh tomatoes (ground) 1 medium onion. cooked I small stock fish 300g smoked fish 250g washed bitter leaf 1 wrap locust bean 4 tbsp ground crayfish 250m palm oil salt and pepper to taste 2 pieces cooked cocoyam/yam 500ml water/stock 1 seasoning tube Method 1. Now place the melon seeds in a dry frying pan. Add pepper. Note: Goat meat offals or cut-up hen can be used in place of beef offals. lime leaf and lemon may be left out to make thin soup while other local spices may be included if desired. Combine the remaining water. Serve hot in soup bowls as appetizer. 5.
6. . pepper and half of the onion. 4. Add all the ground ingredients except the melon. BEEF/FRESH FISH TOMATO SAUCE (STEW) 400g Cooked beef ½ tsp thyme 1 (8z) tin tomato Paste 1 tsp curry 4 large tomatoes 1 beef seasoning cube 3 large flesh peppers 200ml beef broth/water 1 large Onion salt to taste. stirring occasionally to prevent burning. 5. Add seasoning. 300m1 vegetable oil Method 1. 8. 5. Stir in the fish and continue cooking. Wash and blend the tomatoes. BEEF AND FISH OKRO SOUP 250 Cooked beef. unti1 taste is well blended.Serve hot in large soup bowls to be eaten with pounded yam or garri balls.In another sauce pan. bee broth or water in a pot and heat at simmering temperature.Clean and remove bones from dry fish and add to the boiling meat and liquid. yam or plain boiled beans. Heat palm oil and fry the beef cutlets lightly. Mix well. Cook uncovered over low heat for 2 minutes or till the soup is heated through.Combine cooked beef lumps. cleaned 2 tbsp ground crayfish Method 1. pepper and salt to the soup and simmer gently until cooked. 4. Stir well into the oil and meat: Add 1 cup of water and stir in the melon.Wash and grate okro. 7. Wash the water leaf very well and chop into small bits. Cook gently under low heat. Remove from heat and serve over hot boiled rice. Boiled chicken in place of beef. Fry for two minutes and pour okro mixture into the boiling meat.Add remaining ingredients except salt and vegetable. 3. Stir in the ground ingredients and allow the sauce to cook for about 5 minutes. Simmer for 10 minutes stirring occasionally. 3. Stir well and add the beef broth salt and other seasoning. . heat the oil to when it starts smoking and fry onion and grated okro in the oil for 5 minutes. 8. sprinkle with salt and mix gently but thoroughly. 3.fish mixture. Add the paste and keep cooking the sauce at medium heat till it is almost dehydrated and starts forming small lumps. Stir-inn beef and fry together for about 5 minutes.place vegetable at the top of the soup. cut up ½ medium dried-fish 20 medium-sized fresh okro pods 2 large fresh pepper 1 ½ large fresh tomatoes (optional) 1 Seasoning cube 4 tbsp ground crayfish 250 palm oil 1 small onion 40ml of beef/broth water small bunch of pumpkin leaf Method 1. pepper and tomato and set aside. Pour vegetable oil in a sauce pot and beat the oil to slight smoking level. chop onion. Add the sliced onion pieces and fry till lightly brown. 2. Cover pot and cook for 2 minutes 7.Stir in the tomato and pepper. 2. 4.9 4 cups picked water leaf ½ cup ground melon 250m1 cup water dry fish. Serves 6. Serve with pounded yam or amala balls. 6. 2.
Serve hot with pounded Yam. 6. Season with salt. cleaned fish and fermented melon and the seasoning cube. 5. season with salt and cook in 200ml water until cooked. dissolve the ground melon and pepper. Stir in the chopped vegetables and cook for about 2-3 minutes. 5. ground pepper and tomato mixture stirring well to prevent burning. 3. 4. Add the cooked chicken. Semovita.Stir in the grated okro and keep the soup boiling uncovered. Blend the pepper and tomatoes. pounded yam or cassava meal. Place palm oil in a sauce pot. FISH/CHICKEN PLAIN MELON SOUP WITH OKRO ½ cut-up older chicken (hen) 10 large dry prawns (ekpa) Medium dry fish 1 seasoning cube 1 ½ cup of melon seeds (ground) pinch of potash ½ wrap fermented melon (ogiri) (opt) salt to taste 2 tbsp ground crayfish 5 medium okro pods (optional) chopped.Add the seasoning cube. 7. 2.Add the palm oil and apply heat to cook for 5 minutes. 4. Remove from heat without over cooling vegetables. Method 1. 2. Add beef broth (100ml) and cover to simmer. Crush in the seasoning cube. heat slightly to almost smoking point. periwinkles cooked beef. Steam for about 5minutes.Prepare the dry fish. HERB OKRO SOUP 20 medium okro fruit (fresh) 4-6 tbsp palm oil 2 tsp ground pepper 4 tbsp ground crayfish 1 medium dry fish 1 bunch pumpkin leaf 1 bunch black pepper leaf (Fresh Ozizza) 1 seasoning cube 200g cooked beef litre beef stock salt to taste dry prawns. In another 200m1 of water in a separate pot. wash place in a pot. 3. Stir in all the chopped vegetables one after the other and cover the pot to steam for 3-5 minutes. 4.Wash the leafy vegetables thoroughly and slice/chop finely . MIXED VEGETABLE SOUP 200g cooked beef and broth 1 medium dry fish 1 bunch of pumpkin leaf 1 bunch spinach greens 2 bunches water leaf 1 medium onion 6 fresh scent pepper 1 seasoning cube ½ litre palm oil ground dry crayfish salt to taste periwinkles (optional) dry shrimps/prawns 4 medium fresh tomato Method 1. Add the shrimps. .10 Note: To improve the drawing consistency. Cut up older chicken into serving sizes. Wash and chop the vegetables and onion set aside. 3. 6. Add the chicken broth and bring to full boiling. eliminate the use of fresh tomato. stirring once. washed prawns. cleaned and boneless dry fish. Fufu orAmala balls. prawns and cooked beef and place in a sauce pot with the beef stock. 2. without overcooking. Fry the chopped onion.Wash okro fruits thoroughly and grate coarsely. shrimps or periwinkle (optional) Method 1.Remove from heat and serve with hot Amala. grounded pepper and salt and stir briefly. Set aside.
3. Add the dissolved melon. Mix well with pestle till oil is mixed in the sauce. Serves . Serve warm as soup with pounded yam baits. Blend the tomatoes and peppers.Using the pestle. 7. except bread in a bowl. mixing well. Pour palm oil into sauce pot and heat till it begins to smoke.Put pepper and crayfish into a wooden mortar. 5. stirring constantly. Remove cooked yam pieces and reserve t liquid. Spread between two slices of bread and cut into triangles of each sandwich. Add okro if desired and simmer for 5 minutes till soup is slightly thickened. 3. Stir in the tomato mixture and steam till almost the dehydrate. Stir in the remaining water/beef broth. Tin beef broth salt to taste 4-5 large tomatoes 1 seasoning cube 1 large onion-chopped 3 tbsp ground crayfish 4 large fresh peppers 1 small marg. if desired.Roast the dry fish lightly and put them hot into the sauce to absorb it. Sprinkle salt over the soup and add pinch potash. beef and bitter leaf. Add salt to taste. Serve over the boiled yam or unripe plantain. 4. tin melon seed ground small washed bitter leaf 1 small marg.Boil the yam in enough water to cover the yam pieces. squeeze the fish gently to soften them. 6. Garnish with tomato wedges and serve as appetizers. 3. allowing it to bubble for 10 minutes. Tin palm oil Method 1. Serve warm as soup with pounded ripe plantain and starch or garri balls. dry fish. addthepumpkn1eagtth and boil again for 5 minutes 9. Mix well and bring soup to boil again cooking for 10 minutes.Gradually pour some quantity of the liquid into the thick sauce i’ the mortar Mix thoroughly with the pestle. BEEF MELON AND VEGETABLE SOUP 400gs cooked beef 1 small bunch chopped spinach or pumpkin leaves 1 medium smoked fish ½ small tomato tin 1 small mar. stir occasionally. Stir occasionally. 5. 2. Dry fish and may be used instead of chicken.11 5. Pound till smooth. BREAD AND SHRIMPS APPETIZER 250g cooked shrimps 2-3 tbsp mayonnaise ½ cucumber 6-8 slices whole wheat/plain bread 2 tsp chopped colon Method 1. 8. Chop the cook shrimps and combine all the ingredients. Debone and clean the fish. The thin soup without okro is good for dieters and adequate for convalescents. l. Do the top of the sauce with palm oil. Season with salt to taste. Spinach greens may be used in place of okro. 2. Cook till the melon-tomato mixture sets and forms small lumps or curdles. 6. . Wash and chop the cucumber and set aside. corn meal balls or garri balls. Stir occasionally to prevent burning. mix well and cook for 5 minutes with pot covered. 7. 6.Add potash and palm oil. 4. Mix the ground melon see and locust bean with half of the hot beef broth to a thick paste and Set aside. 4. Mix well and cover and bring to boil. 2. Serve 6-8 DRY FISH PALM OIL SAUCE (Uncooked Method) 12 pieces of a small tuber yam 150m1 tin palm oil Water for boiling yam 3-4 tbsp crayfish 1 tsp ground pepper ½ tsp potash 4 small sized dry fish salt to taste Method 1. Add the onion and fry till lightly brown.
flavours and optimum palatability. When you cook these items. prawns and the flaked fish. c)Ensure that there is variety in colour texture and taste of items or ingredients. Freshly picked vegetables such as leaf vegetables will cook for a shorter period than vegetables such as legumes and root vegetables. Add the chopped onion. Top with fried or poached egg. FRUITS AND. Almost in all cases Salads are served with some kind of dressing or cream. . garnishes and dressings or creams which act as seasonings. It is cooled and poured over the prepared fruits. In preparing salads. Wash and rewash vegetables properly before using. 5. The following is a brief note on salads. 2. FRUIT SALADS Fruit salads are more delicate and lighter than vegetable salads.Avoid mushy products . tomatoes. fresh. or desserts dishes. always chose fresh vegetables and fruits instead of canned or frozen ones in order to obtain the true flavor. as an appetizer or an accompaniment to main dish.shaped and without cuts. All salads have the main ingredients. The syrup is made by heating 75 grams sugar in 250ml water with lime or lemon juice until the mixtures changes to light brown. follow these guidelines. Cook gently for about 5 minutes till fat is absorbed and vegetables are cooked. The cooking methods for fruits and vegetables should be selected to enhance maximum retention of nutrients. Blanching and steaming of vegetables can help to retain flavour colour and food value. f)Add salad cream to vegetable salad just before serving. They are good sources of vitamins and minerals as well as rouphages. texture and colour and nutrient. Use tools to wash and arrange the items and keep salad well garnished. g)Ensure that the prepare salads are adequately chilled or refrigerated before served. They may serve as main. Method 1. stems and the like must be removed to make eating easy. ensure that you use little amount of water and that you don’t over cook them.SALADS Vegetables and fruits are important to meals. all seeds. eggs or fish. They are often used as light and refreshing appetizers or desserts. potatoes or plantain. tender or crisp. well. d)Proper hygiene must be maintained when preparing salads in order to avoid contamination by harmful bacteria. Wash and slice the leafy vegetable. In preparing the fruits. Serve hot as an accompaniment to plain boiled rice. clean and crisp. All fruit salads should be chilled before they are served SAUTE VEGETABLES 500g green leafy vegetable (Spinach) 1 medium onion 200g flaked fish 1 green pepper 100g fresh prawns (cleaned and cooked) 2fresh scent pepper 4 firm tomatoes 25g margarine/I 14 tbsp vegetable oil salt to taste. Wash onion.12 CHAPTER TWO VEGETABLES. Set aside. Also choose fruit and vegetable that are firm. Cook for 1 minute and stir in the leafy vegetables. Place a frying pan over heat and melt the margarine. or blemishes. tomatoes and peppers very well and chop them. 3. uniform in colour. Salads are nUttOiili1C they provide rich sources of vitamins (A& C) iron. VEGETABLE SALADS Salads are dishes containing vegetables or combinations of fruits and or vegetables which can be improved with protein items such as meat. and rouphages. The colour is also affected by excessive heat. side. Vegetables and fruits are prominent components of salads. inedible skins. a)Ensure that the salads ingredients are fresh. e)Vinegar or salted water must be used to wash and rinse the vegetables and fruits to destroy any available bacterium that can cause food poisoning. peppers. When buying vegetables. 4. Excessive heat destroys some of the nutrients in fruits and vegetable and softens them. yam. Salads may be served as a separate course. Syrup can be added to fruit salads. b)Cut the items in bite sizes or as indicated in the recipe .
(If fresh) and set aside. Toss well while cooking over medium heat. 2. Sprinkle salt on the potato strips and fry in deep fat fryer. Wash in salted water and leave to drain. 2.Place in a grilling dish and cook over medium heat for about 30 minutes. toss and mix completely. 2. 2. Method 1. 6. onion. 5. remove from oil and drain. CRISPY POTATO CHIPS 2 medium Irish potatoes per person Salt and white pepper ice water vegetable oil for frying Method 1. Place in a fry pan. Wash onions and cut each into 4 parts. Stir. Alternatively. dot with margarine and stir fry for about 3 minutes.Combine the beef chunks and the vegetables including the drained potatoes in a bowl.Cut carrots into I-inch segments.13 BEEF-VEGETABLE KEBABS 250 cooked beef 1-2 potatoes 4 small onions 1 seasoning cube 3 carrots ½ tsp curry and white pepper 1 green pepper ½ tsp thyme.Peel and cut potatoes into 1. 3. sprinkle some pepper on them.Cut the beef into chunks of I-inch cubes.fry for 5-6 minutes and serve as side dish with potatoes or cereals (rice. Wash and slice cabbage. Cut them into medium size strips or slices. STEAMED CABBAGE (side dish) 1 small head of white cabbage 3 tbsp margarine 1 tsp salt to taste 1 onion sliced. Drain thoroughly. This can also be baked in the oven by placing in a well-grease aluminum foil which is wrapped securely. 4. 4-6 GARDEN EGG SAUCE . . Soak the potatoes in ice water for about 30 minutes or 1 hour. Serve as side dish with rice or potatoes. Steam the shredded cabbage for 2 minutes. MIXED VEGETABLE SIDE DISH 250g sliced carrots 2 stalks celery (sliced) 250g sliced green beans 100g sweet corn ½ tsp curry ¼ small cabbage salt and pepper to taste ½ tsp soy sauce 1 sliced onion 2 tbsp vegetable oil Method 1. ginger etc 12 small sized tomatoes 4 wooden skewers/toothpicks Method 1. 4. Parboil the green beans. 3. 3. if desired and top with ketch-up. Add the salt. Wash and peel potatoes. 3. Hear the oil in a frying pan and combine all the ingredients in the oil. Deseed the green pepper and cut into 1-inchsquares. Place beside the meat dish.inch cubes and place in ice water to prevent disco10uration. kitchen wonder can be used to cut potatoes. . 5. When slightly brown.Add the seasonings and toss very well. 4. noodles etc) with grilled or fried chicken/beef. carrots and peas. Remove. dry thoroughly. Alternate chunks of meat and vegetable on skewers. Serve as appetizer or snack.
Cover and cook for 3 minutes till fat is absorbed. sliced sliced lettuce leaves 4tbsp mayonnaise 2 hard cooked eggs. Add the celery and mayonnaise. Cook for 5minutes longer for taste to blend. SHRIMP-EGG SALAD (Appetizer) 100 cooked shrimps salt to taste 1 tbsp lemon juice ½ tsp ground pepper 3 stalks celery. Stir gently and heat through for 1 minute longer. Now slice the tomatoes. juice. Add flaked fish if desired. Wash and slice the lettuce or cabbage leaves. Cut into thin slices an set aside. 2. lemon. Server 4. In a frying pan. Method 1. Wash. Arrange the cut avocados on a flat dish lined with the lettuce or cabbage slices. potatoes or plantain. Clean and parboil the fresh prawns shrimps if available. and the scent peppers. Wash and slice green leafy vegetables. Chop the shrimps in to pieces. Wash and cut tomatoes into segments. oil. 3. Serve hot with tomato sauce as a side dish or accompaniment for boiled or Jollof rice. Combine sugar. Place the tomatoes on t h e lettuce leaves in between the avocados. pepper and onions. Season with a little salt. 3.14 3 medium fresh garden eggs 1 medium onion 4-6 medium tomatoes 150m1 vegetable or palm oil 4 fresh pepper salt to taste Method 1. Sprinkle the vegetables with lemon juice mixture and chill before serving. melt the margarine and add the vegetables. Garnish with the egg slices and chill before serving SAUTE SPINACH GREENS 500g greens (spinach or fluted pumpkin) 1 medium onion Margarine or vegetable oil 2-3 fresh scent peppers (optional) salt to taste 1 green scent pepper 100g fresh prawns Method 1. 3. salt and vinegar. Set aside. EGGNOG SALAD 1 egg 1 cup flaked coconut . 2. onion. 4. Wash and peel garden eggs. boiled or fried yam or plantain. 3. 2. 4. pepper and prawns. sliced. TOMATO-AVOCADO SALAD 2 avocado pears 2 ½ tbsp lemon juice 2medjum tomatoes ½ tbsp salt Lettuce or cabbage leaves ½ tbsp vinegar 1 tbsp sugar 3 tbsp vegetable oil. 2. Sprinkle them with lemon juice. Remove from heat and serve with fried or boiled yam. Method 1. Season with the salt and pepper and mix lightly. cut each avocados into six segments and peel the skin. Add the sliced garden egg and season with salt. Heat the oil in a frying pan and proceed to frying the onions. Place the salad on a flat dish lined with sliced lettuce leaves. tomatoes and9epper to half-cooked. 5. onions.
scent leaves. 2. STIR-FRIED GREENS 1 medium bunch spinach leaves ½ tsp salt ¼ cup water 2 tbsp vegetable oil 1 medium onion/sliced 1 fresh pepper-chopped/sliced Method 1. tangerines. Stir well and cover. add the cooked goat meat (cut-up) to the yam and continue boiling for another 15 minutes till yam is cooked and meat is tender. Combine the remaining ingredients mixing well. spices.15 250m1 milk 1 cup orange juice 1 tbsp sugar or honey sachet of plain gelatin 1 cup mixed fruits(pineapple. Chill in freezer until firm. Serve as dessert. Serve as a side ‘dish with jollof rice or top over stew. crayfish. Do not over cook. egg and sugar) ingredients. Peel Yam. Soften g e 1 a tin in the orange juice and melt over hot water. Makes 6 servings. 3. In a large bowl. green pepper and onion. pepper and salt. 2. remove the lemon grass bunch and any other edible spices/herbs. wash and place the yam pieces in a saucepan. carrots. GOAT MEAT AND YAM CASSEROLE 600g cooked goat meat (deboned) (cutlets) ½ medium tuber yam 2 stalks lemon grass leaf 4 scent leaves 2 tbsp ground crayfish 2 tsp ground African nutmeg 2 crushed and seeded enge pods 1 seasoning cube salt and pepper to taste water for boiling yam Method 1. Wash and chop leaf vegetables. combine cabbages. Serve hot in plain form or topped with palm oil drops. With boiled unripe plantain (5-6 fingers) may be used in place of yam. 2.shredded 1 tspsa1t 600g shredded. VEGETABLE RELISHES 1 celery stalk in strip 3 carrots in strip 2 tbsp mayonnaise ¼ tsb salt . Green cabbage 2 tbsp white vinegar 200g shredded red cabbage 3 tbsp granulated sugar. 3. 50g shopped green pepper Method 1. Combine the rest of ingredients and pour into small cups and chill. Tie the lemon grass to make a bunch. Leave to boil for another 10 minutes 4. Bring water to boil and add salt. Add the blanched green leaves and toss as you fry. Set aside. In a medium pan. 3. Put enough water to cover the yam and put to boiling. orange. Add the prepared herbs. 4. watermelon. Method 1. Mix the eggnog (milk. RED AND GREEN COLESLAW 4 carrots. Makes 6-7 servings. Blanch. 3. pawpaw) ¼ tsp nutmeg. heat the vegetable oil and fry fry onion and pepper slices. chopped leaves and set aside. 2. When half-cooked. Stir well again. 5. Pour over vegetables and mix well. Chill before serving.
sliced diagonally 2 hardboiled eggs 1 green chill pepper. Mix all the remaining ingredients in a bowl and place in the c of a flat dish or tray. Chill before serving as appetizers CRUNCHY CAULIFLOWER 1 large head cauliflower 1 onion. chopped Salt to taste Method 1. with lettuce leaves as under liners. Remove the large outer green leaves. 7. Wash cauliflowers well and place in salt water. Season with salt if necessary. 2. Prepare the vegetables (the first five ingredients). SALAD CREAM II 4 tbsp evaporated milk 2-4 tbsp vegetable oil 2 eggs yolks 1 ½ tsp sugar 1 tsp mustard ½ tsp salt 2 tbsp white vinegar/lemon juice ½ tsp white pepper 2 tsp boiling water . The mi serves as a dip for the vegetable. Wash and slice cabbage and lettuce thinly. Garnish with egg white slices around the dish and the yolks as topping on the cauliflower. Arrange the prepared vegetables around the bowl. Now toss and mix all the vegetables in a salad bowl or arrange them in layers. arrange the vegetables on a flat dish in diagonal or circular arrangement. 4. 3. Garnish the top with egg slices. 3. vegetables wash in salted water or vinegar solution. 4. pepper and cooked cauliflower. 3. 1 medium beet root diced blanched ½ green pepper diced salad dressing/cream/mayonnaise Method 1. 6. Stir-fry for3 minutes and serve hot. Trim off the hard stem and cut cauliflower well small chunks. Chill well in the refrigerator and serve with salad cream. Makes 8 servings. Drain off the water and cool. sliced 4 tbsp margarine 2 carrots. 2. peas and baked beans. Cook for about 5-6 minutes and drain off the water. Melt the margarine in the small frying pan and add the onion. 2. Note: Carrots can be sliced or grated in long strips and used in the raw state instead of dicing and blanching. Stir in the carrot slices. Peel and slice cucumber thinly. leaving the pale green leaves. Alternatively. MIXED VEGETABLE SALAD 4 medium carrots (diced/grated) 1 small can peas 1 small sized cabbage 1 head lettuce 100g sweet corn 3 firm tomatoes (diced) 1 can baked beans 1 small cucumber-sliced 2 hard cooked eggs-sliced 1 onion sliced and blanched. Drain the green peas and baked beans and 5. Peel and dice carrot and cook in boiled water for 5minutes. Set aside to drain.16 1 cauliflower in chunks ½ graded onion 3 large firm tomatoes in sections 2 tbsp milk 2 cucumbers in slices Method 1. Wash again with vinegar and salt solution.
Prepare cabbage and shred finely. 4. Chill and top with mayonnaise before serving. 5. Sanitize vegetable very well to destroy harmful micro organisms. Wash and chop celery or spring onion. add a little milk or vinegar to thicken. cashew nuts and apple with skin 4. If mixture is too thick. Mix all ingredients together. Slice the lettuce or cabbage leaves and set aside. Make 8 servings. Peel and grate the carrot in long pieces and combine all the shredded vegetables in a bowl. slit and remove the seeds. Line a flat dish with the lettuce or cabbage leaves and serve the salad on the leaves. Toss gently and set aside. CARROT-CUCUMMBER SALAD 3 large carrots (shredded) 2 large cucumbers. 6. 3. CABBAGE SALAD ½ small firm white cabbage I stalk celery or spring onion 2 large carrots. 2. Put in salad bowl and garnish with wedges of tomatoes. 4. 2. Put all ingredients except mayonnaise in a salad bowl or arrant vegetables by alternating them and having the salad well garnished. 3. 5. Pour oil gradually. Now shred the cucumbers. salt. Add the boiling water and milk after whisking well. 2. sugar and mustard in a bowl and whisk well. Garnish with cucumber slices. Reserve one for slicing. 2. Continue whisking till mixture is thick. POTATO SALAD 4 large potatoes. 3. Slice the remaining cucumber and to serve. peeled and diced 4 tbsp shredded coconut 1 tbsp sugar salt to taste 2 tbsp mayonnaise Method 1. Remove the hard brown back of the coconut and shred or grate as well. vinegar.cooked and diced 2 stalks spring onion/celery-chopped ½ tsp salt 3 hard boiled eggs. take another egg yolk with ½ tsp water and add to mixture and whisk well. grated long ½ of one beet root (diced) 3 tbsp shredded coconut ½ small onion 50g cashew nuts (optional) 2 firm ripe tomatoes salad cream to taste 1 green or red apple Method 1. Place yolks. Chop onion. pepper. CUCUMBERAND COCONUT SALAD 3 medium cucumbers 2-3 carrots 1 small coconut Lettuce leaves/cabbage 100g roasted peanuts (pealed) Mayonnaise Method 1.17 Method 1. Wash cucumbers. chopped 1 small onion chopped ½ tsp white/black pepper 4 tbsp mayonnaise or salad cream . Set aside. Chill and serve with salad cream or mayonnaise. Crush the peanuts and combine all the ingredients. whisking continuously. Top with mayonnaise.
3. Serve chilled. Spread the egg salad over the lettuce leaves and garnish with the remaining eggs (cut in segments) or seeded tomatoes. Serves a starter on appetizer or a snack with crackers/toasted bread. Chill and top with mayonnaise before serving FRUIT BASKET / SURPRISE 4 firm bananas-sliced 4 orange-peeled and chopped 1 medium pineapple ½ watermelon 2 firm ripe mangoes or pawpaw 4 tbsp sugar ½ cup raisins (optional) 1 cup pineapple juice/water 2 limes Method 1. 5. Gently toss the ingredients together. chopped celery. Chop the shrimps and dice only 2 cooked eggs. Prepare the other vegetables and combine the diced eggs shrimps. Now fry the onion in small fat or oil until golden brown and add to the salad. Add the syrup to fruits and mix up gently.18 Method 1. 2. excepts salad cream. Prepare the other fruits by slicing bananas and chopping others. 3. 2. Line a flat dish with the lettuce leaves. 1. 3. green pepper. 6. Use sharp knife to scoop out the inside of the pineapple and reserve the shell. 5. 6. The leafy end serves as cover for the larger part of the pineapple. 4. 3. Add the cream or mayonnaise and toss lightly. Squeeze out the juice from one lime and pour over sliced bananas to prevent browning. Add the salt and mayonnaise or cream. Cook the sugar in the pineapple juice or water until it dissolves. green pepper and white pepper in bowl. Garnish with few shredded carrots or sweet red pepper. Allow syrup to cool. Refrigerate before serving into cocktail glasses. 4. SWEET CORNAND EGG SALAD 4 hard cooked eggs 2 bunches lettuce leaves sliced 1/2 green pepper-chopped 5 large fresh shrimps cooked 2 tbsp mayonnaise pinch salt and white pepper 1 tbsp lime/Lemon juice 2 stalks celery-diced 200g sweet corn Method 1. 5. 4. Toss them lightly together and season with salt and white pepper. making sure that the eggs dc not scatter much. 2. Combine all the fruits in a bowl and set aside. Cut across the pineapple to the leafy end smaller than the other part. . combine all ingredients. Makes 6 servings PLAIN EGG SALAD 4 hard boiled eggs (diced) 1 stalk celery-finely chopped 2 tbsp mayonnaise/salad cream ½ green pepper-finely chopped 1 small onion-chopped (optional) ½ tsp white pepper Method Place the diced eggs. In a large. celery and sweet corn.
Wash cabbage very well. Leave it to cool and pour over a bowl of fruit salad. Add orange juice and honey. cover bowl and chill in the refrigerator. BAKED SPICED FRUITS 250g chopped pineapples 250g apple or mangoes 250g seedless orange sections 2 tbsp sugar 1/8 tsp salt a pinch nutmeg Method 1. Mix up thoroughly. Toss them well in a salad bowl. Combine all the ingredients. After 301 minutes. 4. 5. 2. chop onion and grate the carrots add these to the cabbage in the bowl of salted ice water. using the fruits that have been washed.19 7. shredded coconut 4 tbsp honey 2 tbsp lemon juice ¼ chopped pineapple 100g currants/raisins 1 tsp all spice ½ tsp vanilla and nutmeg 3 seedless oranges (peeled and diced) Method 1. Season with salt. Now shred the green pepper. Makes 8-10 servings. shred cabbage and put in a bowl containing ice water and the vinegar or lemon juice. lemon Juice. 3. cover with the leafy end and chill. Serves 8-10. currants. Using the kitchen wonder. Wash and cut the green pepper to remove core and seeds. watermelon and pineapple in a mixing bowl. 6. Decorate with lime slices. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour and serve in dessert cups or cocktail bowls as dessert. Also’ clean the carrots and onion. Place water and sugar in a sauce pot and heat till sugar is dissolved. Combine oranges. coconut. 3. CRISPY COLESLAW 450g fresh white cabbage 1 green pepper ¼ green pepper 2 large carrots 1 litre ice water 1 tbsp sugar 2 tbsp white vinegar 3 mayonnaise pinch salt and white pepper Method 1. 2. drain the cabbage and other vegetables thoroughly. 8. Reserve mayonnaise to time of serving. 2. sugar and pepper. Sprinkle vanilla. Boil for another 5 minutes till syrup thickens. peeled and chopped. SUGAR SYRUP FOR FRUIT SALAD 100g sugar 250ml water Method 1. all spice and nutmeg over the fruit mixture and toss well. . SPICED FRUIT SALAD ¼ water fl’1eOfl (diced) 250m1 orange juice 50e. Add the mayonnaise and serve. pile high the shell. Filltl4e pineapple shell with the mixed fruits.
cover pot and boil for 5 minutes. Wash and parboil beans till half cooked. Add the palm oil and the other ingredients. 4. 4. Sprinkle a little salt over the yams. dry mustard 4. 2 yolks from hard boiled eggs. 7. sprinkle the ground dry pepper and add the fish. 2. cover the pot and bring to boil. 4. When yam is almost cooked. 4. With a little water left in the cooked beans-maize. 3. crayfish and onion. SALAD CREAM (MAYONNAISE) 1. Cover pot and boil for about 10 minutes till liquid become a thick sauce and yam cuts have absorbed some oil. 2. wash and cut yam into 2 inch squares. 6. Place yams in a saucepot and fill with enough water to cover the yams. Add potash if desired. 3. Keep chilled.20 2. Peel. mixing well. Cooked for 1 minutes longer and s e r v e warm as a packed meal or main dish. tin beans (uncooked) 2 marg. Add the leafy vegetable and stir well. 4 tbsp evaporated milk ½ tsp salt 2. Mix well and place in a greased baking dish. 5. Sort and wash the maize. 3. 3.peppers (chopped) I large onion (sliced) 2 medium tomatoes (chopped) 2 tbsp crushed crayfish 1 milk tin dry prawns 2 marg. Serve warm as a main dish. Stir well. Makes 4 servings. Bake over medium heat in the oven for 30 minutes. Cook for about 25 minutes or till yam cuts are cooked. Serve as appetizer for breakfast or dessert. Grape fruit can be used in place of orange. stirring gently to distribute the ingredients well. 1 ½ tsp sugar ½ tsp white pepper Method 1. YAM AND VEGETABLE POTTAGE ½ tuber of medium soft white yam 1 medium dry fish/cooked beef 10 stalks of pumpkin/green vegetable 1 ½ tsp ground pepper 200m1 of palm oil Method 1. Serves 4-6. 2. Tin shelled fresh maize 3. Sieve all the dry ingredients as well. and blend in the vegetable oil. BEANS AND MAIZE POTTAGE 1 ½ marg. Tin large chunks of dry fish salt to taste water salt to taste 3-4 tbsp crushed crayfish 1 medium onion Method 1. Add maize to the beans and cook both until soft. 2 tbsp vegetable oil 2tbsp white vinegar/lemon juice 3. pour the palm oil over all the yam surface. Whisk very well. . Serves 4. Add the vinegar gradually too. Simmer for 5 minute e s more. Stir very well to mix up the ingredients. Press the egg yolks through a sieve to smooth. Combine all the sieved ingredients in a bowl and add milk gradually. Mix well and serve as topping or sauce for vegetable salads. Taste for salt and pepper. Now clean fish chop onion and leafy vegetables and set aside.
Sort and dehaul the beans. Method 1. Adding the water gradually. Prepare the bean paste as for Akara balls. Test oil for moderate frying temperature using drop of water. Fry until golden brown on all sides turning frequently. Taste for salt and season . 4.Put in a bowl and beat or stir vigorously. grind into a very smooth thick paste and put in a clean bowl. Stir in the warm water gradually and the flaked fish. 5. Stir well with the wooden spoon and heat the oil in a deep frying pan. adding the oil gradually.Blend in the crayfish and salt. Serve hot with pap as breakfast dish. 3. 2. 6. 2. Beaten eggs or ground crayfish may be added to improve nutrient content and flavour. Drain the sweet potato slices thoroughly. Put in a bowl of cool water. Add the pepper. Ground crayfish 1fledium onion 2 hard boiled eggs chopped or sliced 200ml vegetable/palm oil 2 ½ tablesp flaked fish Salt to taste 2 deseeded fresh tatashe peppers 1 bunch of wrapping leaves or steaming cups. 5. Makes 15-20 small balls. Use medium dessert spoon to drop the mixture in balls into the oil. Beat till mixture is light and fluffy. STEAMFD BEAN PASTE (MOI-MOI) 2 Cups beans veg. 3. 2. Dry shrimps can be inserted into balls when being dropped in oil as a form of garnishing. Makes 5-6 servings. salt and chopped onion. Continue the beating of paste to retain air till all the frying is completed. 300ml warm water. Serve hot as snacks. 6. pepper and salt to bean paste and beat well. peel and cut potatoes into about 8 slice. oil for deep frying 1 ½ tomato tin water salt to taste.21 BEAN BALLS (AKARA OR FRIED BEAN CAKE) 2 cups of white beans salt to taste 1 large onion 100ml warm water 1 tsp ground dry pepper vegetable oil for deep frying 2 chopped fresh pepper Method 1.Sort and dehaul beans and grind together with fresh peppers and onion. 4. BEAN PASTE POTATOES 2 medium sweet potatoes 2 cups bean paste 1 ½ tsp ground pepper veg. Oil for deep frying 4 fresh pepper 2 table sp. each of half inch thickness. Add little water. Wash. cream or beat the beam paste vigorously enough to incorporate air into it. Heat the oil for frying. Now dip each slice into the beans paste mixture and coat the Potato slice generously. Method 1. Fry in the hot oil until golden brown on both sides. 1.
y potatoes. Add sliced onion and crayfish. plantain or fried potatoes and plantain.Place the pot and pour in boiled water through side of the pot to the level of the packings. boiled unripe plantain or fried ripe plantain. 3. salt Vegetable oil for frying Method 1. Stir well and season with salt to taste. Make 12-14 cups or wrappings. Slices may be lengthwise or crosswise. DRY CORN AND BEAN STEW . Salt palm oil/vegetable oil for frying Method 1. Remove and drain. Slice them diagonally in ¼ inch thickens to a bowl. Sprinkle salt all over and toss well. Note: Tomato paste may be added to improve colour. 2. Serve as side dish to plain boiled rice. Leave to simmer till beans is well cooked but not broken. serve warm with pap for breakfast as side dish with jollof rice. Serve as snack. Heat the vegetable oil and fry till crisp. Heat oil in a frying pan to moderate temperature and fry the plantain slices till lightly brown on all sides. 4.22 well. 3. Fold and leaves properly before arranging in the pot. PLAIN BOILED BEANS 1 cup beans Pinch potash 4 cups water pinch salt Method 1.Put water to boil in a steaming pot and place deep pot packed with few sticks or plantain leaves to keep moi-moi from direct heat. Scoop into colander for oil to drain off. cut plantain about 1/8 inch thickness. ground pepper. Add Potash to soften the water and facilitate the cooking. Boil for about 40 minutes or until soft cooked. Add salt to taste. Cover and cook to bind the ingredients. Serve with tomato sauce (stew) and plain boiled rice. FRIED RIPE PLANTAIN SLICES 2 large ripe plantains 1 ½ tsp. Make 5 servings. Sprinkle salt all over the slices and set aside for 5 minutes 3. 6. Serves 4 CRISPY FRIED UNRIPE PLANTAIN SLICES 2 medium unripe plantain ½ tsp. Sort beans. 2. yam. BEEF STEW 2cupsbeans Enough water to cook beans Salt to taste Crayfish. wash and begin cooking in the plain water. Corned beef may be used in place of sliced eggs. Stir to thicken. Wash and peel the plantains.Steam 35minutes. 4. 4. 5.Stir the mixture well again and scoop one or two spoonfuls into greased aluminum cups or wrapping leaves. onion (as desired) 1 cup palm oil or groundnut oil cooked meat/dry fish Method Boil beans and meat together. Serve as side dish for stewed beans or rice dishes. 4. Cook for 20 minutes and stir in the oil and ground pepper. Using a knife or a portable slicer. 2. Wash and peel plantains.
tripe (shaki). Other methods include broiling or grilling and stewing. CHICKEN NUGGETS 450g cooked chicken (minced) 4 slices of bread (crust removed) 1 tbsp margarine 1 tbsp flour . Examples are liver. poultry and eggs are complete proteins. Serve and garnish with sliced green pepper and fried fresh prawns. chopped Smoked fish (deboned) 100ml palm oil salt to taste 1 tbsp ground crayfish ½ green pepper for garnishing Method 1. Roasting. tail. Clean and put the dry corn in salted boiling water and cook till half. Excessive heat can easily make fish t i and dry. stirring frequently. brains. pepper. intestines. marrows etc. All meats should be well-cooked to make them tender. sodium and magnesium. The shell fish include shrimps. FISH AND EGGS Meat is generally the main item of a meal and is obtained from a variety of animals. Serve 8-10. Leave to cook until soft. heart. Sort and clean beans. phosphorus.cooked. kidneys. methods of cooking meats. to destroy bacteria and to improve its appearance. 3. salt and crayfish. potassium. pepper and curry. 5. 2. They also supply iron. They are good sources of such vitamins as the B complex group. Beef is the most important meat used and the muscle fibres are the most desirable parts. Fish is also complete protein and is available in two major forms: fin fish and shell fish. Add fish if available and cook for another 3 minutes. When cooked. tongue. Cooked beef chunks can be used instead of gizzard. Thread the cooked gizzards on small skewers or toothpicks with the onion chunks place in between the gizzards (3 gizzards pieces to 2 onion chunks). There are certain organs and glands of the animals called variety meats that are used as delicacies in meals. Whole chicken and turkey should be stuffed before cooking. CHAPTER THREE MEAT. 4. Add the beans to the boiling corm. CHICKEN GIZZARD KEBABS 450gs chicken gizzards 2 onions-cut in chunks 1 tsp curry Salt and pepper 2 tbsp melted margarine 5 wooden or metal shewers Method Clean and wash the gizzards and cut in halves. palatable and digestible. the type of feed and the amount of muscle greatly influence the quality of the meat when cooked. All meats including poultry must be well cooked but over cooking and excessive heat makes them tough and dry. Cook until the both oil and the liquid are well blended. Meats. add the palm oil. The age of animal.23 1 ½ cup dry corn 1 tsp pepper Enough water for boiling 1 medium onion. Parboil them for about 10 minutes. Frequently turn and brush with fat. crabs etc. vitamin A and I. frying and braising are three general. Season with salt. clam. inc1udiig fish. Brush with melted margarine and grill or bake over medium heat for 10-15 minutes. Fish can be prepared by any of the above mentioned methods and should not be overcooked.
5. 34 onion and 1 fresh tomato to the cut-up beef. 3. Use a fork to turn the balls in the beaten egg or use pastry brush to coat with egg. Stir in the chicken/beef broth and bring to boil Place cooked macaroni in the pot and stir in the braised beef/chicken. In a saucepan. Serve hot with braised rice. Coat the egg washed balls with the remaining breadcrumbs and fry in deep frying pan. Remove from heat when macaroni is tender. Cook until golden brand on all sides. Stir in the chicken and breadcrumbs into the white sauce (milk and flour mixture). BRAISED CURRIED CHICKEN/TURKEY 2 thighs of chicken/turkey wing (cut up) 3 tsp curry 3 tbsp margarine/vegetable oil 1 seasoning Method Stir and mix up curry powder. finely chopped 1 tbsp chopped parsley Pinch salt 2 eggs Vegetable oil for deep frying Method Toast the bread and crush into breadcrumbs. In another saucepan. heat vegetable oil. stirring constantly. Season with salt to taste. onion slices celery and seasonings for2 minutes. 6. Season the chicken well and place in a sauce pot with 1 cup of water. Wash and allow cut-up chicken to drain off water. Steam under low heat for 1 ‘/2 hours till browned. CURRIED MACARONI Braised beef (cooked) 4 tbsp vegetable oil. Stir in the drained peas and serve hot garnished with parsley leaves.24 1 40m1 milk 1 chilli pepper. Stir in the flour and add the milk. Return to heat and bring to boil. place macaroni and cook as directed on package drain off. SHRIMP KEBABS 300g large fresh shrimps salt and pepper to taste . Note: The same method for braised beef can be used but add sliced (3) red pepper. chopped 1 spring onion. Drain and serve with ketchup as appetizer. With hands well flowered shape the cooled mixture into balls. Method 1. Remove from heat an allow to cool completely. Melt the margarine in a flying pan and remove from heat. melted margarine and seasoning cube in a small bowl and set aside. 2 small onions sliced 1 stalk celery chopped 1 tsp salt 2 litres beef broth 1 package elbow macaroni 1 can green pees 1 tsp dried bay leaf crushed 2-3 curry powder 2 seasoning cubes or sachet mix. onion and parsley. Cover and cook for about 6-10 minutes. 4. Combine part of the breadcrumbs with the minced chicken and set aside. 2. Cook under low heat for about I V2 hours till cooked and lightly brown. Prepare braised beefy chicken and set aside. Add the chilli pepper.
Chopped onion 1 teasp margarine lean beef l teasp chopped garlic salt and pepper to taste 8-10 thin slices of liver \soft Method 1. Toss gently and alternatively arrange shrimp. Devin (remove the vein that contain sand) and wash well. Makes 8-10 serving. Place them in greased roasting or grilling pan. Shape into balls that look like the size of large walnuts. removing the shells but leaving the details in place. 4. Wash well and season with curry and salt. Set aside for the seasoned shrimps to absorb flavours while batter is being prepared. Serve with white or yellow sauce as appetizer or without sauce as cocktail-item. 5. Serve 8. BEEF ROLLUPS 250grams ground beef or sausage 2tablesp. and devein. leaving the tail in place. Cook for 5-6 minutes. 6. grill over medium flame for 45minutes it can also be fried in deep fat. Grill over medium heat for 15-20 minutes or fry in hot deep fat. SHRIMPS IN BATTER 1kg fresh shrimps (large size) (about 15-20 shrimps) ½ tsp curry ¼ tsp salt oil for deep frying Method 1. Spread the ground beef/sausage mixture over lightly salted thin beef or liver slices. sausage or ground beef and margarine in a saucepan. following the directions below BATTER 150g flour ½ or 1 egg 50m1 milk 1 ½ tsp baking powder pinch salt pepper (optional) . Bake or grill toothpicks into meat balls. 2. green pepper. Brush oil on kebab. pepper and chopped garlic and cook for another 2 minutes longer. Serve as appetizer or snacks for cock tail party. onions and tomatoes on short skewers. Roll up the liver or beef slices as for sausage rolls and secure with tooth picks. SAVOURY MEATBALLS 1kg ground beef 2 tbsp dried onion flakes 1-2 eggs 1 green pepper diced salt and pepper to taste ¼ tsp thyme maggi or soy sauce l tbsp bread crumbs Method Combine all the ingredient in a bowl and mix up thoroughly. When cooked brush with curry sauce and serve hot as appetizer or finger foods. Combine onions. Remove shell from shrimps. Add salt. 2.25 2 large green pepper (cut in squares) 3 large firm tomato (in squares) 2 onion (cut in squares) 3 tbsp vegetable oil curry and thyme (optional) Method Clean shrimps. Combine the shrimps and all other ingredients in a large bowl. 3.
puffed and lightly browned. Place the egg coated pieces of fish into the bag and shake well to coat each piece of fish. Add the seasonings and flour and beat well until mixture is creamy 4. Flake the cooked fish very well.26 Method 1. Put immediately into hot fat. Toss onions. corm starch. Dip each shrimp into the pre-heated oil and cook until golden brown. Makes 20 balls. 2. Beat egg whites until foamy and stiff and fold in the fish mixtures. FISH PUFFS 600g cooked fish 30g flour (2thsp) 1 medium onion chopped 1 green pepper chopped Veg. CRISPY BAKED CHICKEN l25grams bread crumbs / crack 1/4 tsp salt . Drain off fat and serve with ketchup as appetizer BUTTERFLY SHRIMPS ½ kg large fresh shrimps 65g flour 1 tbsp corn starch Vegetable oil for deep frying. Mix flour and seasonings in a large plastic bag. remove shell and devein. Clean shrimps. 3. 3. 4. FISH IN BATTER (FRIED FISH) 6 fish fillet (makarel) 225g flour 2 eggs ½ tsp white/black pepper Oil for flying 1 ½ tsp baking powder Method Rinse the fish and keep to dry. add the flour coated pieces of fish and fry until dry. well beaten Method 1. Separate the egg whites and yolks. Drain the fried fish and serve garnished with celery leaves or parsley leaves. salt and baking powder in a bowl and gradually adding the beaten egg in l tbsp water if batter is stiff. except the tail. beaten egg yolk and flaked fish. Serve hot with ketchup or yellow sauce. Insert toothpicks into balls and serve as cocktail dish. Drop spoonfuls into baking dish or fry in hot fat until crisp. 5. removing all bones. Serve with sauce as an appetizer. ½ tsp baking powder 1-2 tbsp water 1 egg. Beat the egg and gradually mix up with flour. Beat the eggs ma large bowl and add the fish one at a time turning well. add the remaining water. Make a batter with the flour. 5. Combine all ingredients except egg. 2. 2. 3. Now dip each prepared shrimp into the batter and coat the shrimp generously. Split shrimps down the back to about /2 inch to the tail. Fry until golden brown. Flatten to give the butterfly shape. 6.. Heat oil for frying in a large frying pan (about 2 inch deep) When oil is hot. Oil for deep frying 2 eggs 2tsp soy sauce/ ½ seasoning cube ½ tsp curry salt and white pepper Method 1.
green paper. sliced 70 grams currants 1 tsp curry 1 large onion. salt. Mix margarine. basting with the curry and margarine mixture. 5. chicken cut ups tan be seasoned and parboiled before grilling. maggi and curry in a bowl. 2. Remove from heat and set 1. coat the dry chicken pieces first in m e It e d margarine. Grease a baking dish/pan. 2. 2. Serve as snack. stirring frequently. Pour the egg-vegetable mixture over the chicken and top with the remaining fried chicken pieces and currants. 4. Wash and cut up chicken in to serving pieces or portions. Melt the margarine.27 ¼ tsp white pepper ¼ tsp curry 1 whole chicken (broiler) 1 seasoning cube 60 grams (4tbsp) melted margarine Method 1. Remove immediately from hea and set aside. Alternatively. Heat the vegetable oil in a pan and cook the coated chicken in the hot oil till it is brown. diced tomatoes. 6. minced ginger 1 ½ tsp curry powder l tsp salt 1 medium chicken-broiler 1 seasoning cube Method 1. Clean the chicken very well and allow to drain. Bake for 50-55 minutes. Turning chicken frequently. Cut chicken into pieces. Rub the margarine mixture over chicken parts. Grease a baking dishes or tray and place the coated chicken pieces in the lightly grease dish or pan. Mix ¼ tsp salt. 3. 3. chopped 2 whole tomatoes 25ograms cabbage. sliced 1 tsp grated garlic ½ tsp white pepper ½ tsp salt mixed fruit ½ tsp thyme 2 eggs Method 1. GRILLED CURRIED CHICKEN 50 g margarine melted 1 clove garlic. CHICKEN/FISH FIESTA 500g broiler chicken/flaked cooked fish l25grams flour sifted 200ml vegetable oil 1 green pepper. Deseed the tomatoes and dice them. 4. SPICED CHICKEN 1 medium chicken 2 large onions sliced 2 small fresh pepper chopped l tsp thyme . Place some fried chicken pieces in a greased baking pan or dish. Coat the chicken pieces with the flour mixture. Combine breadcrumbs or crushed cracker crumbs and other ingredients except the margarine. Add garlic and ginger. Cook and debone. salt cabbage and the seasonings. 3. Grill over medium heat for ½ hours. then roll the chicken pieces in the bread crumbs mixture. Serve 4-6. aside. 4. Serve with rice dishes. pepper and flour together. Beat the eggs and mix beaten eggs with the vegetable mixture and some currants. Now cut the flesh into small strips or chunks. Place n pre-heated oven for 5 minutes or microwave oven for 5 minutes. 6. Wash again and set aside to drain off water (parboil if broiler is not used). Drain off oil from the pan and stir-fry the onion.
6. salt and pepper. 3. 7. Toss with fat from chicken and the remaining ground spices. remove tooth picks and strings. Secure cavity tightly with toothpick or tie legs with a string. 3. Stuff the cavity with the stuffing mixture. Serve with rice and potato dishes. 2. and dry. 7. Mix the melted margarine.28 5 cloves garlic minced 1 tsp ginger minced Chicken seasoning cubes ½ tsp salt 3 large tomatoes sliced. Remove and arrange into baking trays and roast in oven at 3500 for 25-35 minutes. Fry in deep until golden brown but not completely cooked. thyme. Roast for 1 hour. cut chicken thoroughly and set aside for liquid to drain off (10 minutes). Wash. Mix the remaining ingredients for batter. Season the chicken and dip in batter. parboil chicken for 15 minutes or until half cooked. looping the string. 4. 2. ginger) Method 1. 3. CRISP FRIED CHICKEN (IN BATTER) 1 medium chicken 150g flour 1 tsp baking powder 1 tsp salt 8tbsp milk 1 large egg-well beaten seasoning as desired (curry. Before serving. Put chicken parts in to a pot and some of the prepared spice. tie the wings against the back. 4. placing the skin up side down. Combine spices in small mortar and pound. Parboil chicken and leave to cool if necessary. Turn and baste the chicken frequently. Garnish with tomato and onion slices arranged at the sides of the dish. 1 stalk chopped celery Method 1. 4. 5. Put in a greased baking dish and roast in oven for about 1½ to hours. Rub some into the cavity of the chicken. 2. Remove from top cooker and arrange chicken in a greased baking tray. Wash chicken and allow the chicken to drain off water. Combine all the stuffing ingredients. STUFFED ROAST CHICKEN (a) I whole chicken (broiler) (b) Stuffing Salt and pepper 1 onion sliced thinly or chapped 1 tsp margarine 1 tbsp melted margarine 4 tbsp hard cooked rice or bread crumb salt and white pepper Pinch of thyme and curry. 1 tsp all spice (optional) l tsp curry Method 1. Wash up chicken thoroughly. 5. 6. Rub the melted margarine mixture and curry over the outer surface of the chicken. and mix thoroughly and stir fry for 2 minutes. CRISP FRIED FISH 8-10 market fish fillet 150grams salt and pepper seasoned flour . Cross the legs and tic them together with a string. Prepare the other ingredients. Prepare raw chicken by cutting into serving sizes or pieces. Baste frequently with melted margarine.
Combine all the ingredients in a bowl. mix up thoroughly and shape into balls looking like large walnuts. white pepper. 2. 1 egg(beaten) ½ tsp thyme ½ seasoning cube ½ tbsp crushed cracker/bread crumbs ½ green pepper-diced Method 1. ketchup and mixed vegetable side dish. chopped Method 1. Baste fish frequently and turn over to prevent sticking. Remove any small bones from the fillet. 2. Fill the cavity of the fish with stuffing. 1 onion. Slice fish open and wash fish thoroughly and dry. Cut slits on the sides of the fish. mixing well. B) SPAGHETTI SAUCE 3 tbsp vegetable oil 1 small onion ½ tsp ginger (grated) 1 tsp garlic (grated) 4 firm tomato-cubed 1 tbsp flour Method 300m1 water/broth 1 tsp sugar (optional) 1 tbsp vinegar ½ green pepper 1 small can tomato paste pepper and salt to taste . Heat the vegetable oil in a large frying pan and fry the fillets on both sides until golden brown. Now dip each filler into the beaten egg to coat or use a pastry brush to brush the egg onto the fillets. Combine all the ingredients for stuffing and toss them lightly over heat for 2 minutes. Dredge the fillet lightly with the seasoned flour. Serve with rice pilaf. 2. curry thyme. Pour vegetable oil over them in a grilling dish and grill over direct heater or bake in the oven. Grill over medium direct heat in oven for 1 ½ hours. 3. sliced Salt and seasoning cube Pinch thyme 1 tbsp margarine 1small pepper. seasoning cube. GRILLED STUFFED FISH 1 whole fish with back bone and gills removed 2 tbsp melted margarine Salt. Combine the seasoned flour and fish seasoning. 4. 4. FISH BALLS IN SPAGHETTI SAUCE a) FISH BALLS 500g minced beef or cooked flaked fish 2 tbsp dried onion. Remove from heat when brown. Baste the fish with melted margarine and seasonings. Garnish with tomato wedges and serve with potatoes chips.29 1 egg. 5. Coat the egg-washed fillets into the seasoned flour again. 3. slightly beaten 1 sachet fish seasoning 4 tbsp Dry breadcrumbs Vegetable oil for frying Chopped parsley leaves for garnishing Method 1. chopped 1 stalk celery. Secure the cavity with toothpick. Cook for about 3minutes on each side and drain before serving.
ginger. Heat oil in a deep frying pan and carefully break the eggs n e by one into the fairly deep hot oil. Cook for 3 minutes. Drain well and serve onto a flat dish. Serve with grilled sausage and toast for breakfast. Remove from heat after 2 minutes. and ½ tsp fish seasoning. In a bowl. Add the sugar and season with salt. Place in a baking tray d grill or barbecue over direct heat for about ½ hour. fresh chopped tomatoes and the paste. Now allow patties to be properly cooked. Serve with ketchup as filling for sandwich. Turn down the heat and cover the frying pan and cook for5 minutes. Use as stuffing for the cavity of the fish. Add 2 tbsp water. Mix the fish together with onion. cornstarch. 2. Method 1. chopped 2-1 stales celery. Debone cooked fish completely and flake very well 2. chopped ½ tsp thyme 1 tsp fish seasoning 4 tbsp margarine (melted) 4tbsp bread crumbs or hard boiled rice. 5. CELERY STUFFED FISH 1 whole frozen cracker 1 fresh pepper. 2. stirring well. Now mix remaining margarine. 3. salt. Apply heat and cook briefly. FRIED FISH PATI1ES 500g cooked flaked fish 2 tbsp corn starch 1 small onion-finely chopped salt to taste 1 tbsp grated carrot ½ tsp curry 1 tsp grated fresh ginger 2 tbsp vegetable oil 1 egg white Method 1. Mix the flour and water in a bowl and set aside. 4. Shape into small patties and fly in preheated vegetable oil. ½ seasoning cube and pepper. Lace with toot picks to secure the fish cavity. curry and egg white. thyme. 3. Clean fish thoroughly. 3. Wash very well and leave to dry (drain off water) 2. Sprinkle salt and pepper at the top. BEEF GOULASH 1 kg tender beef (steak) 1 tsp grated garlic . chopped ½ tsp curry ½ onion. Fill the cavity of the fish with the prepared stuffing. Garish with the tomato slices or chopped parsley. 3. Brown on both sides. Make diagonal slits on each side of the fish and brush the margarine and seasoning mixture all over the cavity and external surfaces of the fish. Turn occasionally prevent sticking. combine 1 tbsp melted margarine hard boiled rice.30 1. Serve over the grilled fish balls on cooked spaghetti. split through to remove the backbone and intestines plus gills. Put the garlic ginger. Baste fish again with remaining melted margarine. Gradually add the vinegar to flour mixture and stir into the pot of sauce. chopped pepper and celery. carrot. 6. Shape each egg with the frying spoon so as to enclose the yn1k in crisply fried white. Add the green pepper. FRENCH FRIED EGGS 3 eggs Salt and pepper vegetable oil for deep frying Method 1. 4. oil and onion in a sauce pot. Place in a frying pan and steam for 2-3 minutes. curry. ½ tsp seasoning onion.
FISH-RICE FINGERS IN TOMATO SAUCE l50g fish. wash well and cook in the margarine in heavy sauce pot till brown. then turn down the heat very low and let the mixture simmer for about 1 hour or until meat is fork. Serves 10-15. Add the onions and garlic and brown them lightly. the fish stock and pepper. Grill or bake at moderate heart till done (about 15 minutes). 2.End flaked end rice combined the egg chopped onion. mixing well.Form or mold in to small fingers or small balls and fry in hot oil until golden brown. When cooked. Set aside. Transfer these into another stock pot and add the remaining ingredients. 3. grated ginger. 4. SAUSAGE ROUNDS 1 packet of beef sausages (10 pieces) Ketch-up Method Put sausage in a baking or grilling dish. Turn frequently to prevent bursting or burning. about 2 tbsp of the oil for frying and fry the beef until they arc browned on all sides. pealed and diced 1 small onion. cut each sausages into four or five rounds each.Serve over the fish fingers or balls as appetizer. cubed 2tsp curry paste salt and pepper to taste 3 fresh scent peppers. Simmer for 2-3 minutes. Dot with Ketchup if desired. Heat.Heat the margarine in another pan and fry grated onion and green pepper lightly. Stir well to get the beef and onion mixture to be evenly distributed. Serve as hors d’oeuvres. sliced. slightly beaten 4 tbsp fish stock or water 1 tablsp chopped onion ½ medium gated onion ltbsp chopped parsley 2 tbsp / ¼ of green pepper chopped 1 tbsp flour ½ tsp hot pepper and grated ginger ½ can tomato puree salt to taste Veg oil for frying Method 1. 4. flour. . chopped 15g/1 tbsp flour/corn starch 450ml beef stock Cooked beef/ chicken. 2. BEEF -VEGETABLE CURRY SAUCE 15g or 3 tsp margarine 1 carrot. Bring to boil. Remove the bay leaf and serve over noodles (indomie.tender. 5. Add blended fish mixture.31 2 large onions 2 tbsp margarine 1 bay leaf salt and pepper to taste 2 tbsp tomato paste 250m1 beef stock or water Method 1. Insert tooth picks in each round and arrange them attractively in a patter. 3. cooked and flaked ½ tsp salt 150g cooked rice 2 tbsp fish stock or water 1 egg. Set aside. Cut beef into 1 inch cubes. spaghetti). 90g sliced green beans cooked 60g peas cooked oil for frying Method 1. 4. Add tomato puree. and salt. parsley.
Put the chicken pieces in a pot and pour the blended ingredients over the chicken. 3. Add the beef stock. salt and oil. seeded and diced 200g flour for dredging 1 green pepper. Cut chicken into serving sizes and place in a sauce pan. thinly sliced 6 tbsp vegetable oil 1 sweet red pepper.Heat the oil in a large frying pan and when hot add the margarine. Sprinkle on the flour and cook till the margarine and onion are golden brown.Prepare the onions.5kg broiler chicken 4 tomatoes. coat the cooled chicken pieces lightly. wash and drain. Add the chicken pieces and fry over moderate heat till brown. Stir in l tsp ketchup and mix well. salt. Garnish with onion rings and tomato wedges. 3. 5. Make small nests of lettuce in cocktail glass or salad bowl and scoop the shrimp cocktail onto each. except the lettuce leaves. grated 1 large tomato Salt Method Cut chicken into 6 serving pieces. Now add the fried beef. Chop the shrimps into cubes. Cook slowly to soften. curry pepper and I seasoning cube. Place chicken in a grill pan including the marinade and cook chicken for about 10 minutes on each side. CURRIED PORK STEW 500g lean pork (in 2inch cubes) 4 large tomatoes. in a bowl. Set a side. thinly sliced 5 tbsp margarine 1 fresh scent pepper. Melt the margarine in a medium saucepan and add the onion and carrots. TOMATO AND PEPPER FRIED CHICKEN 1. Add the seasonings. chopped 1 small onion. Remove from heat and leave to cool.32 2. Garnish with chopped parsley. 4. Method 1. cooked peas and beans and cook the sauce for 2 minutes. Push to one side of the pan. SHRIMPS COCKTAIL Lettuce leaves (one per person) 1 cup dressed and cooked shrimps 4 tbsp chopped celery 2tbsp mayonnaise ½ tsp lemon juice 1 tsp ketchup pinch hot red pepper Method 1. Combine all the ingredients. Flake excess flour off. Using the seasoned flour. GRILLED CHICKEN/TURKEY 2 chicken/turkey breasts ½ tsp hot red pepper 3 tbsp vegetable oil 1 tsp grated garlic I tsp white pepper 1 tsp grated ginger 2 tsp chicken seasoning 1 tsp curry 1 small onion.Add the garlic. 3. Add salt and steam for 10 minutes. finely chopped 1 tsp thyme I tsp grated garlic 100ml chicken or beef stock I tsp grated ginger salt to taste.Remove chicken and sauce into a serving dish and sprinkle with chopped curry leaf to garnish as accomplishment to curried rice or potato chips. basting frequently. cook until thick. 4. 2. Set aside. tomatoes. 5. Set aside. Grill each side till golden brown. 2.Mix flour with salt and pepper. 6. peppers and curry leaf. diced . Toss very well and steam for about 30 minutes or marinate for about 1 hour. Serve over plain boiled rice or noodles. Coo k until tomatoes are softened. stirring constantly to prevent burning. Place tomato and remaining ingredients except oil and salt in a food processor and blend well. onion tomatoes and the other ingredients. Top each with ketchup as sauce.
Bring the mixture to boil and add fried port. Allow to set briefly and then/stir slowly with fork to let the egg turn into large pieces or lumps. 5.Cut pork into cubes. poached. Heat the oil in a frying pan and brown and pork in two batches. 4.Add more oil if necessary and onion. chopped shrimps/scrambled egg and mayonnaise in a bowled. Cook for 1 minute longer. 2. 2. diced.Spread between two slices of bread and top each with two tomato slices to obtain 4 sandwiches in all. wash and leave to drain. Serve as the protein dish with buttered bread. Serve with cucumber salad in addition. Stirring in beef stock/water and vinegar and add bay leaf. milk. Melt margarine in a small frying pan.Combine the onion cucumber.Cover each sandwich and toast in the oven or a sandwich bread toaster. curry tomatoes and paste. Heat the margarine and pour into mixture. prepared as omelettes and mainly served as breakfast and snack dishes. 3. 2. remove the bay leaf and add green pepper. . Garnish with avocado dices tossed over the stew. Season to taste. Gently beat eggs. Remove to a plate. 3.Remove from heat and serve with plain boiled rice and sweet corn. EGGS Eggs are used. To provide protein in meals To thicken sauces To garnish prepared foods To serve as raising agents for sponge cakes To glaze pastry Eggs can be fried. Chopped onion and green pepper can be added. Mix well. SHRIMP-SCRAMBLED EGG TOAST SANDWICH 150g cooked shrimps 2 tbsp chopped onion 6 tbsp chopped cucumber 4 tbsp mayonnaise 2 tomatoes sliced into 6 2 eggs (scrambled) Method 1.2tbsp vegetable oil 1 large onion (in 2 inch pieces) 1 large green pepper (in 2 inch cubes) 1 ½ tsp curry powder 1 ½ tsp grated ginger 1 bay leaf 33 3 tbsp tomato paste/puree 140m1 beef stock 1 tbsp vinegar salt and pepper to taste 1 seasoning cube 1 avocado pear. supper and deserts. 3. SCRAMBLED EGGS 2 eggs 2 table sp milk/water 1 ½ tabsp margarine Pinch of salt METHOD 1. pepper and salt together. Cook slowly for about 20-30 minutes. covered. Remove and place a plate. 4. Method 1. scrambled. Cut into bread triangles for appetizers/snack or serve as sandwich for breakfast dish. Serve as a breakfast dish.When meat is completely cooked. They are served in a variety of dishes that may be used for lunch. using a wooden spoon.
SCRAMBLED EGGS WITH FISH
1 tbsp melted margarine 1 cup flaked cooked fish (tuna or sardine) 6 eggs, beaten 1 tbsp water Salt and pepper to taste 1 ½ green pepper, (chopped) 1 small onion, chopped 2 tbsp margarine 6 slices bread (toasted) 6 grilled sausages
1.Heat margarine in a frying pan. Drain the fish, bread into small pieces and sauté in the margarine. Beat eggs very well, and add the onion and green pepper to the fish. 2.Add the 2 tbsp margarine and four beaten eggs over fish and stir slowly with wooden spoon or fork. When eggs are cooked, removed from heat. 3.Serve with buttered toasted bread with grilled sausage by scrambled eggs. FOLDED OMELETS 2 eggs Pinch of salt. 2 tbsp. Margarine/.veg. Oil
Method 1.Beat eggs and use a non-sticky fly pan or heat small margarine in frying pan. 2.Pour 1/3 of beaten eggs into center of frying pan and let spread to bottom of pan. Do not stir. 3.Let the underside get slightly brown then flip over for the other side to get brown. 4.Place flat on plate and fill with mixture of fried onion tomato and corned beef like pancakes. 5.Roll up the omelettes like crepes and garnish with tomato slice. 6.Serve with bread in a breakfast dish. Makes 3 omelette. Omelettes can be filled with jam or fried mixed vegetables. CORNED BEEF AND TOMATO OMELETTE 3 tbsp corned beef ½ green pepper, seeded and diced ½ a medium onion 2 fresh scent peppers, diced parsley to garish 3 tbsp margarine 1-2 tomato, seeded and diced 3 eggs, beaten Salt to taste Method 1. Portion the ingredients into three parts-one for each egg. Heat a medium/small frying pan and melt the margarine for portion. 2. Add a portion of the onion and green pepper and cook briefly to soften. 3. Mix the tomato and corned beef with one beaten egg, salt and scent pepper. 4. Pour into the pan with the onion and green pepper and stir gentle to mix all the ingredients. 5. Cook until the egg is set lightly brown use flat spoon to remove from heat. Repeat the same method of the remaining two eggs and other ingredients. 6. Garnish with parsley leaves or tomato wedges. FRIED EGGS 1 egg per person 2 tbsp margarine Method 1. Melt a little fat in a frying pan. 2. Break each washed egg directly into a saucer and slid into the slightly heated fat. This is carefully done for yoke to remain intact. 3. Season with salt or pepper sprinkle on the egg and cook gently without stirring until lightly set. Do not turn the egg. 4. Remove from -heat and serve half-cooked on a plate or flat dish. Garnish with fried tomato slices and serve as breakfast or topping on rice dishes.
BRAISED BEEF 400g steak beef I medium onion 2 tbsp parsley chopped ½ tsp salt ½ tsp pepper 1 seasoning cube 500ml water 3 tbsp vegetable oil ½ tsp thyme ½ tsp curry ½ tsp grated ginger
Method 1. Cut up the beef, wash properly and set aside. 2. Mix the beef, onion and the other ingredients in a bowl. 3. Heat oil in a sauce pot over medium heat. 4. Spread beef mixture all over the bottom of the pot. 5. 5 Cook until beef is brown. Turning frequently with wooden spatula for about 10-15 minutes. 6. Reduce heat, stir in the water Cover the pot and cook until beef is tender and water is almost absorbed. Serve with herb rice or oven jollof rice. CHICKEN AND RICE WITH CURRY SAUCE ½ Cut-up broiler chicken 100g flour 2 tbsp soy sauce/maggi/meat seasoning 1 cup cooked peas 2 tsp grated ginger 3 cups cooked rice ½ tsp pepper curry sauce 1 avocado pear (for garnishing) Method 1. Cut the boiler into serving pieces. Mix the meat seasoning or soy sauce, ginger and pepper into chicken. 2. Steam chicken for about 15 minutes, turning occasionally for seasoning to be absorbed. 3. Remove from heat, refrigerate to cook for about 1 hour, (marinating). 4. Heat the oil in a fry pan. Remove the chicken, reserving the marinade (extracts from the streamed chicken). Cook chicken in the hot oil till brown. 5. Mix the cooked rice, peas and the reserved marinade. Cover and cook for 5 minutes: Serve With curry sauce over chick en. Garnish rice with avocado pear slices. POACHED EGGS 4 fresh eggs 1 firm tomato ¼ tsp salt 1 tbsp white vinegar
Method 1. Boil water to a simmering temperature in a shallow frying pan. 2. Wash eggs very well and keep aside. 3. Add the white vinegar to the boiling to make the white more tender and prevent it from spreading when the egg is place in the simmering water. 4. Now carefully break the eggs one by one into a sauce and into the simmering water in separate position. 5. Simmer for approximately 2-3 minutes until lightly set. 6. Remove carefully from water using a perforated spoon sections for water to drain off. Sprinkle the salt on the poached eggs and garnish with tomato for water to drain off. Chapter Four CEREALS Cereals are basically important far their fibre, protein, B-vitamins, calories and iron content. They are a major source of protein in vegetarian diets. A significant component of cereal is starch. This accounts for the swelling that make place in cereal when these’ are cooked. Various types of cereals are available for use in meal preparation and they vary in their characteristics, taste, cooking times and yield. Maize, wheat oats and ride, are among the most commonly eaten cereals. Maize is world’s third most important cereal and popularly known as com. It is available in fresh or dried forms. It can be prepared as main dishes snacks or side dishes. Maize can be obtained in processed or ready to cook form. When using corn or maize, ensure that they are well shelled from the cob and that the kernels are bright
and plumpy Com starch is available for use to thicken sauces and breakfast meals. Rice is available in regular and parboil forms. It is basically carbohydrate but has little protein and contains some amount of thiamine and mineral. It is the worlds second most important grain. Rice, like other cereals, increase about three times in volume during cooking because it has the ability to absorb moisture. In cooking rice one measure of regular rice requires about two and half measures of liquid. The parboiled variety requires more while the pre cooked type requires less liquid. The long grains are less likely to sick together during cooking than the short. A small amount of oil ( ½ teasp oil to 3 cup of rice) added to the cooking water will prevent the rice from sticking, foaming and boiling over. Rice may be cooked in the oven or on surface cooker. Wheat is a major grain from which flour, breakfast cereals and pasta products are produced. Cereals and pasta products (Macaroni, spaghetti, and noodles) are processed and enriched and made ready-to- eat or partially cooked. MACARONI WITH CHILI 300g ground beef 1 large onion 1 large green pepper, chopped 4 fresh tomatoes chopped ½ can kidney beans 4 fresh chili pepper sliced 1 tsp grated garlic 2-3 stalks celery or leeks 2 seasoning cubes 1 small can tomato puree 1 pack uncooked elbow macaroni 2-4 tsp groundred pepper ¼ tsp paprika 1 tsp salt 6 tbsp vegetable oil 1 tsp grated ginger ½ tsp curry
Method 1. Cook macaroni, drain and set aside. Heat the oil in a sauce pan and stir beef and onion. Cook until beef and onion are brown. 2. Stir in tomatoes, beans and with the liquid and the remaining ingredients. Heat to boiling and reduce heat. 3. Stir in the cooked macaroni, cover the pot and simmer. Stir constantly till macaroni is tender about 5-10 minutes. Serve hot. FRIED RICE 2 cups uncooked long grain rice 2 cups chicken broth/stock 2 cups water. 4 tbsp. Marg./veg. Oil 2 tsp. salt 2 tsp. soy sauce 3 gloves garlic- minced 2 tsp. chopped ginger 3 large carrots-diced ½ can cooked peas 1 large onion, sliced or chopped 4 green pepper-chopped 1 tsp. curly 1 tsp. thyme 2 seasoning cubes 200g liver-cooked, diced and fried 2 stalks celery
Assorted vegetable-diced and parboiled carrots, sliced cabbage, chopped green beans, sliced green tomatoes, chopped red pepper. Shrimps cleaned and parboiled. Method 1. Put the washed rice into a saucepan. 2. Add chicken broth, minced garlic, ginger and seasoning cube and let it be cooked but not soft or sticky. 3. When cooked, remove from heat and set aside. In a large, frying pan, put margarine or oil and onion slices and green pepper. Cook these lightly. Add cabbage, cooked peas and carrots, celery and remaining salt. Stir fry for 5 minutes. 4. Add the diced and fried liver, shrimps and rice alternately. 5. Add the soy sauce a little at a time, stirring constantly. 6. Stir fry for 5-6 minutes till all soy sauce is well distributed. 7. Rice should have pleasing colour with assorted vegetables. Keep in warm oven uncovered if not served immediately. Serve with spiced or curried thicken. Makes 6 servings.
4. Fry the liver chunks lightly and set aside. 4. Season with curry salt and pepper and mix together. salt to taste and cook on top of cooker or oven till rice is cooked. Leave it to-drain and dry a little bit. green pepper. OVEN FRIED RICE 3 cups uncooked long grain rice 6 cups of chicken broth/water I large onion sliced 15 medium chunks for liver (cooked) 1 ½ tsp white pepper 2 large carrots 1 large green peppers 2 stems spring onion 1 stem celery 1 tsp soy sauce I tsp curry ¼ cap or lean peas 2 ripe but firm tomatoes salt to taste 3 tbsp soy or veg. Add the cooked rice. wash and cook rice with the chicken broth or water for about 30 minutes. In a fry pan. 3. Chop tomatoes into large cubes. peas and fresh curry leaf and pepper) and heat for 2 minutes. 2. Serves 8-10. 6. celery. Sort. 4. 3. Oil 2 stalk sleeks / Ginger and garlic (I tsp each) 2 tbsp curry leaf ½ bay leaf I seasoning cube I large onion sliced I tsp curry ½ can peas 4 small fresh pepper Method 1. 5. salt. Pour into a sauce pan or baking dish. Rice should be firm and non-sticky when cooked. Stir in vegetables (leeks. tomatoes and spring onion. . In a large frying pan. flake for 20 minutes and serve warm with curry sauce. CURRIED RICE 2 cups uncooked rice 5 cups water 2 tsp curry 1 small can peas/cut green beans 2 chicken seasoning cube 2 carrots shredded/diced 4 tbsp vegetable oil/margarine ½ tsp white pepper salt to taste 1 medium chopped onion 1 tsp chopped garlic 4 red chill peppers. Pour the water over the rice and season with white pepper. Wash rice and place in a sauce pot.37 SPICY RICE PILAF 2 cups long grain rice (uncooked) 2 cups chicken/beef stock 2 cups water 4-5 tbsp. Slice the onion and cut green pepper in long strips. curry and garlic. green beans arid carrots lightly 5. Crush the seasoning cubes and add to the rice. 2. Sort and wash rice. mushrooms and carrots. 2. Chop the spring onion. seasoning. Makes 8 servings. put oil or margarine and onion slices and fry lightly (5 minutes). Remove front heat immediately and pour the vegetables over the cooked rice. sliced. Oil oil for flying liver Method 1. soy sauce. peas and carrots. Method 1. Marg./veg. Add the rice and fry (3 minutes) with the onion until the raw rice is lightly golden brown in colour. Put the rice meal in a baking dish and the fried liver chunks on lop. This may be served immediately with grilled fish and white sauce. Serve warm with braised beef and suitable sauce. celery. 6. Heat the 3 tbsp vegetable oil and stir-fry the onion slices celery. heat the remaining oil and fry the onion. 3. Toss the rice and vegetable well and simmer for 3 minutes. chilli pepper. Add the beef stock. Stir in one tbsp of the vegetable oil each for salt and proceed to cook for about 20 minutes. Stir into the cooked rice. 5.
Cook the noodles in boiling salted water for about 4-5 minutes. Steam for about 20 minutes till liquid is almost absorbed. Wash rice and let it drain of 2. 4. remaining spices and the chopped veg and peas 7. Add the beef stock or brown seasoning cube. Heat the oil or margarine in a saucepan raid add the washed rice. JOLLOF RICE 3 cups uncooked rice 4 large fresh tomatoes 3 medium fresh hot peppers ½ tsp top ginger ½ tsp chopped garlic ½ tsp thyme 1 large onion 3 tbsp margarine 150ml vegetable oil 6 cups beef broth/water 2 seasoning cubes ½ tsp curry salt to taste Method 1. 3. 3. Cook the rice in the fat ova. Set aside. Toss the vegetables in the pan continuously. Reserve one tomato and one pepper and grind the remaining ones. 6. 5. 4. curry. Slice the onion and chop the remaining tomato and pepper. As the rice is getting tender without being soft. Pour in the beef/broth water. Heat a frying pan and add the vegetable. salt and white pepper. 2. Leave to drain dry. Blanch for 2 minutes and drain from the hot water. thinly sliced 4 carrots. Serve with fried fish or beef and steamed leafy vegetable as a side dish. cover the pan and cook gently for about 25-30 minutes on surface cooker or oven without stirring. Toss in the cooked noodles and heat through. Stir well. Stir in sliced tomatoes. 4.38 BRAISED RICE 3 cups uncooked rice 6 cups chicken stock or beef 1 large onion-chopped 1 green pepper-seeded and chopped 2 tsp white pepper Salt to taste 2 stalks leeks 100g cooked kidney beans 1 seasoning cube 3 carrots-diced or grated 2 tsp grated ginger 2 tsp grated garlic 1 tsp curry 1 can green peas 6 tbsp vegetable oil or margarine Method 1. 5. stir in any 6. Serves 8-10. Combine the soy sauce. Steam for 10 minutes. 6. curry and salt and cook for 2 minutes. Bring to boil and add the rice and the seasonings. sliced METHOD 1. . wash rice and set aside to drain. peeled and sliced 4 red chiIli pepper. Drain well and rinse under hot water to remove starch. stirfrying for about 5 minutes without browning. diagonally sliced 4 tbsp soy sauce 2tsp curry 225g sliced cabbage sliced salt to taste 2 stalks leeks/celery flesh prawns (optional) 1 onion. macaroni noodles etc) 5 tbsp vegetable oil 2 garlic clove (grated) 4 green peppers.medium heat. 2. Sort. Moi-rnoi and fried ripe plantain chips can he used as side dishes as well. pepper and onion rings. Stir in the tomato paste and cook till sauce is almost dehydrated. Heat the vegetable oil in a sauceboat and fry part of the slice onion and ground ingredients lightly. Boil water and place the vegetable in the salted water. Cover the pot and steam for about 2 minutes. Serve immediately with grilled beef. 7. 3. Remove from heat an serve hot garnished with tomato wedges or egg slices. ORIENTAL NOODLES 225g noodles (spaghetti. Toss in 1 tbsp of the oil to prevent sticking. Mix well and add margarine when almost cooked. 5.
until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed (add small amount of water if necessary to make rice well cooked. stirring constantly. soy sauce and salt to taste. till rice is getting tender. curry. bay leaf. 4. When melted. add the washed rice over medium heat. Cook and stir the beef in the vegetable oil until golden brown. Place vegetable oil in a saucepan and fry the onion. and green chili pepper. 2. then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Wash rice in cook water and leave to drain. nutmeg etc). Stir in the tomato paste and cook for 5 minutes stirring frequently. margarine and onion into the remaining oil over medium heat until rice is lightly brown. Stirring gently. . Now add the water. until the rice is getting tender. green spring onion. 5. salt. 3. 7. 2. CURRIED BEEF AND RICE CASSEROLE 3 cups uncooked long grain rice 1 medium onion 1 instant chicken seasoning cube 3 tbsp vegetable oil 2 medium stalks celery (diagonally sliced) 1 tbsp margarine (chopped) 2 tbsp soy sauce 2 cups cut-up cooked beef (l inch pieces) 6 cup boiling water 1 medium green pepper 2 carrots (diced) salt to taste l00g cooked peas 1 medium sweet red pepper Method 1. Heat the foil in saucepan and add the margarine.39 HERB RICE PILAF 3 cups long grain rice 1 tsp grated garlic 6 cups boiling water 1 tsp grated ginger Pinch salt/or to taste ½ tsp curry Chopped fresh herbs (parsley. Stir in water. Pour into a baking dish. Stir in the green and red pepper. Serve garnished with green and sweet red pepper. 5. When the rice is light brown. 6. cover and cook in the oven. SPANISH (OVEN JOLLOF) RICE 3 cups uncooked regular rice 1 medium onion (sliced) 6 cups water 3 cubes chicken seasoning cube I tsp curry powder ½ tsp ground ginger 1 tin tomato paste 1 green pepper chopped 1 tsp salt 1 tsp ground nutmeg 3 tbsp vegetable oil 1 tbsp margarine 4 fresh tomatoes 4 fresh red/chilli peppers 2 stalk celery chopped Method 1. Stir in the rice. celery and cook covered for 5 minutes. leeks. seasoning cube. Cover and leave to steam about 3 minutes and serve garnished with eggs and braised beef or grilled fish. 3. Wash rice and set aside. curry leaf. add the water. chicken cube. spring onion etc) I tsp dried and crushed bay leaf 2 stalks of leeks 1 cup beef or chicken stock 2 stalks celery 2 Chicken seasoned cubes 2 tbsp margarine 4 medium green chilli pepper sliced 1 large spring onion 4 tbsp vegetable oil Method 1. margarine and seasonings (ginger. salt and pinch white pepper. 6. Heat to boiling. Add finely chopped herbs (parsley onion. Cover the pan and cook gently for about 25 minutes without stirring. 2. 3. 5. Stir in the rice and heat to boiling. chicken stock. Remove from heat and set aside. ground fresh tomato and pepper to make a sauce. 4. fried beef carrots. 4.
Blend well for mixture to mix well. Cook the palm fruits until they are soft. Pound in a mortar and use the water to get juice from the fruits. Serves 10. seasoning cube and Onion. broth of the shrimps and arrange the shrimps over the thick top of the rice. Wash and grate coconut into fine flakes. Put into a pot and heat to boiling. Continue stirring for the corn to he properly popped and cooked. Place corn pepper. Remove from heat. Roil the shrimps in a little bit of water. Put in a bowl and add all the water. 2. Discard the chaff and pour the coconut milk into a pot. salt and water in a boil. stirring until the corn starts cracking and bring about the white fluffy part. Meanwhile. Heat the milk and bring to boil. Cover pot and cook for about 45 minutes or until rice is soft and moist. drain and serve with coconut as snack. 4. Fry until slightly brown. Serve hot on a flat dish. mold mixture into small balls and drop into hot oil. FRIED CORN CAKES 2 cups dry corn 200m1 water ½ tsp. Simmer for 10 minutes and serve hot. POPPING CORN 6 tbsp popcorn Salt 3 tsp vegetable oil Sugar (optional) Method 1. 2. green pepper and celery. Put oil in a pot and place the corn in the pot 2.40 6. Heat oil. Remove from oil. 3. 3. Cook over a medium heat. 3. Using a fine sieve. 5. 7. 2. sugar. wash the rice. 4. . 4. PALM JUICE (BANGA) RICE 800g or ¼ basket palm fruits 3 cups of short grain rice 10 cups water 1 seasoning cube 15 large fresh shrimps/prawns 1 ½ ground pepper/2 fresh pepper salt to taste 1 medium onion Method 1. Stir uniformly into the rice. Stir in the peas. Stir in the chopped fresh pepper. Remove from heat and serve hot. Wash rice and add to the boiling milk. Ground corn into fine crumbs. Mix well and continue cooking for about 45 minutes or until rice is soft and uniformly moistened 6. 4. Add rice to the boiling liquid. sprinkle immediately with sugar or salt and leave to cool. 3. 5. Season with about 1 teaspoon salt and add the dry or chopped fresh pepper. Season with salt and seasoning cube. filter and squeeze out all the liquid from the grated coconut mixture. 6. chop the fresh pepper and onion and clean the shrimps. Blend in the palm oil. COCONUT RICE 1 ½ large coconut flesh 3 cups short grain rice (uncooked) 8 cups of water 3 large fresh red peppers (chopped) 1 tin sardine/fried fish 1 seasoning cube salt to taste 10 large prawns-fried Method 1. Top with sardines or fried fish/liver/prawns and garnish with tomato slices. ground pepper pinch salt 1 tbsp sugar 4 tbsp palm oil Vegetable oil for frying Method 1. Wash rice in hot water to remove some starch. Makes 10 Servings. Method 1.
fluffing up to loosen the rice grains. 6. Combine all the ingredients except palm oil in a mortar or place in a blender and grind coarsely. 4. Chop the peppers and onion and set aside. 4. 2. 6. 4. add the grated liver. Heat vegetable oil to faint smoking point. PLANTAIN FLOUR FOO-FOO (AMALA) 500g plantain flour 750rnl water Method 1. Sprinkle a little water over the foo-foo and cover the pot for 2 minutes to allow the foo-foo to be thoroughly cooked. Cook over medium heat for 5minutcs. 5. Continue to stir vigorously until the foo-foo is thick and begins to leave the sides of the pot. melon-vegetable. celery. 4. Stir in the cooked rice. 3. DOUGHNUT AND SANDWICHES . Keep stirring for 2 minutes. Serve hot with spicy fried chicken and cucumber salad as a main dish. Mix part of the water and 250g of the plantain flour to form a paste in a bowl. seasonings and chopped vegetables. Shell the corn and wash well. Cover pot and boil until cooked hut grain are separate. Meanwhile. Remove any fat from liver and chop or grate into small bits. 2. 3. Cook rice with stock and salt to taste. Heat the oil in a large frying pan.41 2. Wash and clean liver. stirring gently. Remove rice from heat if tender but not soft. Drain and serve with coconut as snacks. 5. leeks and green pepper 5. Add 2 tablespoons palm oil and mix well until the oil binds the corn mixture. Season to taste of necessary and heat through for about 3 minutes. Noted: 1 tablespoon sugar may be added to sweeten the fritters. 7. Use a wooden spoon to stir in the plantain flour mixture into remaining boiling. Serve onto a flat dish and top with curried pork stew or tomato and pepper fried chicken sauce. Stir very well all over and turn into a dish. Serve warm with ewedu. Chapter Five BREAD. Heat the water to boiling in a pot. 3. Stir in the cooked sweet corn. rice and yam flour foo-foo as in plantain. Boil the 6 cups of water. Stir the corn well and drop mixture in small spoonfuls into the deep hot fat fry till golden brown. 2. Stir in the remaining plantain flour a little at a time for the foo-foo to be evenly mixed. added salt and sprinkle the clean rice in the boiling water. 3. margarine and chopped parsley. Stir very well to avoid lumping in the foo-foo. LIVER RICE PILAF 3 cups uncooked rice 6 cups (1 ½ litre) beef stock 6 tbsp vegetable oil Salt and white pepper 1 seasoning cube 1 kg beef/chicken liver 1 stalk leeks 1 stalk celery 1 green pepper 2 medium onions 2tbsp grated garlic METHOD 1. agbono or mixed vegetable soup. FRESH CORN FRITTERS 3 fresh corn cobs 1 onion Vegetable oil for deep frying salt to taste 2 fresh peppers 2 tbsp palm oil Method 1. Cook and leave to cool. clop onions. Note: Prepare corn foo-foo.
4. Knead again on floured board until smooth and elastic. 4. Cover and put in a warm place for hour. eggs and milk than the plain bread. Bake until golden brown. Yeast is the raising agent and it grows best in lukewarm water. They are made from flour. yeast. water or other moisture. In a large bowl. sugar and fat. Yeast bread may be mixed in one of the basic ways: The straight dough method entails all the ingredients are mixed at one time and the sponge method consists of two mixing and two fermentation processes. Kneading is important for the yeast to be distributed and allow the development of carbon dioxide for adequate fermentation. 2. sugar and salt in warm water. yeast. Let rise till dough is well risen above the pan edges (double or three time size). the yeast will be destroyed. Nutmeg and other flavoring can be added to bread to improve flavor. Weigh and measure all the ingredients set aside. moist and tender in texture. Makes 4 loaves. Add dissolved yeast to flour and mix the mixture to a soft dough. 5. 3. 7. Stir or knead every fifteen minutes. When baked. Doughnuts and rolls should have good shape and colour and the texture must be smooth and light. while low temperature retards the fermentation process. part of the flour. When dissolving yeast ensure that lukewarm water is used. Milk is used in some bread mixture in lace of water to increase the nutritive value. Method 1. Bread is completely baked when it has gain the light brown colour and has shrunk from the side of the pan. Therefore some quantity of granulated sugar should be added to yeast when dissolving yeast. Knead the dough. If the temperature of the water is too high. roast bread should be soft. Sugar is used to sweeten bread and to aid the process of fermentation. More yeast is often used but they require the same fermentation or proofing process. Knead lightly and keep covered for 10-15 minutes. Salt can be added to yeast bread to contribute to flavour and aid elasticity and firming of the dough. blend remaining sugar. Dissolve yeast. The dough can be baked or fried. aid fermentation and contribute to the colour. add half of the sugar and cover for about 10 minutes till the yeast is dissolved and starts rising in bubbles. A variety of fillings can be used. salt. 2. 3. Dry milk is more often used. WHOLE WHEAT BREAD 500grams whole wheat flour 2 ½ tsp yeast 1 tbsp sugar 2 tbsp (30 grams) margarine ½ tsp salt 250m1 warm water . milk and flour in a bowl. fat. remove from pan unto wire racks to cool. Cover with a slightly wet towel in a warm place. Fat is used to soften and lubricate the dough. Proof for another 15 minutes. The dough should be allowed to proof for at least 1 hour or until the until dough is double or triple its original size. PLAIN BREAD 500g flour 2 ½ tsp thy yeast 250ml lukewarm water 60g (4 tablespoon) margarine/Oil 100g (5-6 tbsp) sugar ½tsp salt METHOD 1. Then the mixture is combined with the remainder of the ingredients and second fermentation is allowed. Soften the yeast in lukewarm water. Bread loaves are baked in high temperature (about -4500 degrees) and may be painted or glazed with egg wash or milk immediately before baking. it should be sealed first to prevent the enzymes in it from reducing the fermentation process. Combine margarine. 6. Gradually add the flour to make a stiff dough. Doughnuts and bread rolls are sweet doughs that contain yeast and are richer in sugar. If liquid milk is to be used.42 Bread are loaves made of soft doughy that are leavened with yeast. With the sponge method. After 1 hour shape into a round loaf and place in well greased pans. Bake in pre-heated oven for 40 minutes. fat and dissolved yeast. Shape into loaves and place in well greased pans. Allow to m for 10 minutes. Reserve 2 tbsp flour for kneading. sugar and fat are mixed and allowed to ferment. 5.
Note: Whole wheat bread is usually heavy. Sieve the flour and salt into a bowl and rub in the fat. YEAST DOUGHNUT 300 grams flour 4-6 tbsp sugar . 2. Place the bowl of dough in a warm place to rise for about 30 minutes. BREAD ROLLS (DINNER ROLLS) 700gs flour 3 ½ tsp dry yeast 1½ tspsalt 50-l00gs sugar 2 beaten eggs 200gs margarine 300m1 warm water or milk ½ tsp nutmeg Method 1. Grease a medium-sized cake pan and fill the dough into the pan. Place each in well greased queen’s cake pans. nutmeg currants and milk together. Shape into balls. Knead again slightly on a floured board and place in a greased bread loaf pan with cover or shape into balls in any baking pan. 8. 3. Method 1. reserving 4 tbsp. Mix well without kneading. Dissolve the yeast and sugar with the warm milk. 5. Cover and let rise for about 20 minutes. Place a warm place to rise till double in size (5045 minutes). Turn out on lightly floured surface knead and shape dough into inches wide squares of about 2 inch thickness. 2. Cover and let it rise for about 5 minutes. 5.43 Method 1. Mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon to obtain a soft dough. LEMON BREAD (COFFEE/TEA CAKE) 3 tbsp margarine 1 tsp baking powder ½ tsp salt 125m1 milk 50gs sugar 1 ½ tsp lemon juice 2 eggs grated rind of 1 lemon 300gs flour ½ tsp nutmeg YEAST DOUGH CAKE 450gs flour 1 tbsp grated lemon and l00gs margarine orange rind l00gs sugar ½ tsp grated nutmeg 2 eggs pinch of salt 2 tsp dry yeast 75-80m1 warm milk 50gs currants. 3. Bake in a moderately pre-heated oven for 30-40 minutes. 8. Place in a greased bowl and grease top of dough. 6. Add the dissolved yeast and I mix in the beaten egg. Pre-heat oven and bake for 30-40 minutes after reducing the heat. 2. 7. Brush top lightly with egg wash and bake at 3000 or gas mark 3. salt. Cover and let rise (5minutes) 3. Dissolve yeast in lukewarm water. punch down. Add flour. Mix the flour and the rest ingredients. Gradually stir in the yeast mixture into the whole meal and fat mixture. 5. Mix sugar. Process whole wheat grains into flour or purchase whole w heat flour. Add yeast (now in bubbles ) and beaten eggs to the mixture.for 15-20 minutes. 4. Combine salt. Makes 15 rolls. 4. Mix and knead thoroughly till smooth and non-sticky to the hands 6. Cover and proof it a warm place until double in size. 6. fat and whole meal flour in a bowl and set aside. Leave to proof in a warm place for another 20-30 minutes. 4. Dissolve the yeast and sugar in the warm water. A mixed whole meal bread can be made to be lighter by using half plain flour and half whole wheat flour. soften than that of plain bread. 7.
Beat dough with the hand and knead thoroughly till dough is smooth and moderately soft. In a bowl mix margarine and the remaining warm water. add sugar and mix thoroughly. Place in a warm place to rise till double in size. Tack each firmly with lightly wet fingers. sugar. Then place dough in heated deep oil and fry until golden brown. Let dough rise for another 40 minutes or till double in size. Sift the &y ingredients together and add to egg mixture. Ferment yeast in half of the warm water. Add the dissolved yeast and gradually mix in flour into a smooth dough. 6. Deep fry the doughnuts till golden brown and drain off fat. Roll the cooked doughnut on granulated or icing sugar. Drain off an roll them in sugar if desired. cover and allow to prove until double in size. Add beaten eggs. Leave in a warm place to prove until they are well risen (double in size) 6. (See pp). salt and nutmeg. Mold back each carefully to seal the hole. 3. . Divide the dough into round doughnut shapes without hole al the centre.44 1 ½ tsp dry yeast 3 tbsp margarine 1 egg 3-4 tbsp dry milk 85m1 warm water ½ tsp nutmeg vegetable oil for deep frying Method 1. 5. Slightly beat eggs in mixing bowl. to the mixture add to mixture. Dissolve the yeast in half of the warm water. 1 . Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and pour in the fermented yeast and remaining warm water. Roll doughnuts in a tray containing sugar. Place them on a well-floured tray. 1-leat vegetable oil to faint smoking and fry doughnuts a few at a time until that are golden brown and ate well cooked. JAM FILLED DOUGHNUTS Basic doughnut recipe fruit jam (pineapple. 2. Add the melted margarine. 3. Heat the vegetable oil in a deep frying pot to a moderate temperature. 4. about 1 tsp in each hole. salt and nutmeg into a bowl and rub in the margarine. ECONOMY YEAST DOUGHNUT 500g flour 2 ½ tsp dry yeast 50g margarine 250m1 warm water 1 tsp salt 1 tsp nutmeg 100g sugar oil for deep frying Method 1. Sieve the flour. .. Gather mixture lightly and set aside for 1 0 minutes. Combine milk and flour. 2. 9. ensuring that the heat is not too high or too low. roll ot dough to Y2 inch thickness and cut out round shapes. 7. 2. Serve as snack or tea dainty. Press a floured thumb into each doughnut and add a little jam. Using a round cutter. strawberry etc) vegetable oil for deep frying Method 1. Ad vanilla and mix well. Cut with doughnut cutter that has a hole at the centre and place in a greased tray to proof. 3. 8. Knead lightly. 4. Add milk and mux. Roll out to floured board 1 or inch thickness. 5. Turn dough into a flavored board and knead briefly. 2. 4. BAKING POWDER DOUGHNUT 1egg 50 grams granulated sugar 75 grams melted margarine 2 ½ tsp baking powder 300 grams sifted flour 1 tsp vanilla 75ml milk/water ½ tsp salt 50g sifted flour (for rolling) 1 ½ tbsp powdered milk Method 1. 5. 3. Place them on a greased tray and cover with thin polythene. 4. prepare the dough according to the instructions for preparation. Take the basic doughnut recipe. Add one tbsp sugar to facilitate fermentation of the yeast.
corned beef. SANDWICHES Sandwiches are meals that arc made of regular or special bread. roll out into ¼ inch thickness. Add the dissolved yeast. boiled or fried egg. Spread on crackers or toasted bread triangles. Knead to elastic-like texture. 3. b) The filling can be made from meat. especially when some items have to be chopped or mixed up. it should be attractively arranged. Avoid making very large sizes. ketchup or mustard cream). Place in a greased pan proof till double in size and brush with egg wash before placing in preheated oven to bake for 20-30 minutes. Vegetables like lettuce tomato and onion slices may be added. There are four basic considerations in making sandwiches: a) The Bread: This is the most important item used and can be from any type of bread. Handle gently. Combine sardine and blend with remaining ingredients to desired consistency. with or without sauce such as (salad cream. sardines. Party or tea sandwiches should be in small triangular sizes. 3. smooth and pliable dough. egg and almost the remaining water or as needed to obtain correct consistency of dough. closed or multi-layered. c) Method of preparation: 13e careful in handling the items by maintaining proper sanitation.45 5. Sandwiches may be served hot or cold. 8. When sandwich is planned for lunch. 7. BEEF BURGER 400 grams minced beef 4 large firm tomatoes (sliced) ½ medium chopped onion 2 tsp salt Pinch curry and thyme (optional) 1 tsp melted margarine 8 dinner rolls (small round bread) mayonnaise 2 eggs 4 tbsp bread crumbs . the bread cam be sliced before or cut after filling if necessary. SARDINE CANAPE 1 can of sardine 1 ½ tsp grated onion 10 slices of buttered bread triangles 90 grams or 6 tbsp margarine pinch ground ginger Method 1. Add some currants/fruits if available before folding into crescent shapes. Day old bread is usually preferable. They may be filled or spread with a variety of items such as meat. Drain and mash sardines. fish. 6. jams and other spreads. salad and various types of food. Also do not use filling that can soak the bread. Makes 20 doughnuts. 2. Drain off fat and roll in granulated sugar or top with favorite icing. 5. 6. In using fillings. Mix all the siffed dry ingredients together in a small bowl. ensure that proper temperature is maintained in order to protect the food from becoming contaminated. 2. Cut into 4-6 inches of the base of the triangle to form a crescent. d) A garnish should be added to a sandwich when it is ready to be served. When dough is ready for proofing. Mix thoroughly into a soft. jam. Corned beef or chopped egg can be used as alternative. CROISSANTS 500g flour 2 ½ tsp yeast 2 tbsp sugar 2 small eggs 1-2 sachet powdered milk 100ml warm water 100g soft margarine Method 1. 4. Dissolve yeast in half of the warm water. 4. Fry in hot deep fat until golden brown on both sides. Keep them covered and use as tea sandwich. Rub in the margarine. Roll out on floured board to inch thickness and cut with doughnut cutter.
the cake will be hard when baked. marble cake and coffee cake. 4. chopped ½ tsp pepper Salt to taste 3 tbsp mayonnaise 6-8 rolls (small oblong bread) margarine Method 1. baking powder and salt) are folded into the creamed mixture. sugar. Spread the fish mixture over one of the buttered surfaces and top with two slices of tomato. Club sandwiches are made by slicing the rolls into three portions having two layers of filling. sugar and flour in addition to flavorings. Queen cake and ginger bread can be made in this way. top with tomato slice and cover the sliced tomato with the other vegetables and the top layer of the bread. Examples are queen cakes. The creaming method usually produces better quality. This mixture is gradually poured into the flour ingredient and all are beaten together with electric mixer or manually with wooden spoon till the mixture is smooth. In order to produce good quality cakes. Beaten eggs. 5. it is essential recipes and use proper ingredients appropriate method of mixing. milk and vanilla are gradually poured into the creamed mixture. Also. All ingredients must be at room temperature when mixing cakes. In addition. Combine all ingredients except bread in a bowl. The quality of cakes is very important. spread ½ teaspoon mayonnaise on the meat. Cooked on both sides. Brush the meat patties with melted margarine and grill over direct heat or barbecue for 10. large cakes must be level at the top. Split the oblong rolls in half and spread margarine on the sliced surfaces. Examples are shortened cake. Fill the bread with the grilled meat. Toss well. Chapter Six CAKES. BAKED FISH SANDWICH (Oblong Rolls) 300 grams cooked fish ¼ green pepper chopped ½ onion. but egg yolk and fat are not included. Mix well and shape the beef mixture into patties (round shape of same diameters as the bread ½ inch thickness) 3. beaten eggs and milk are beaten together to blend thoroughly. Combine all ingredients except mayonnaise and the bread. Remove from heat and slice the rolls into two. Put in the oven to bake for 10. Don’t over mix the mixture after flour has been added or else the batter will be rubbery. The cake must be baked in a well greased pan for easy removal when baked. In a separate bowl. adequate size of pan and baking temperature. Regular bread slices can also be used. eggs and raising agent. 2. the melted margarine. 2. type offat and amount of time available.15minutes. The mixture is well beaten till light and foamy after which the dry ingredients (flour. even in colour and firm.. Pure sponge cake uses only egg whites. the equipment available. Onion slices and lettuce loaf can be added to improve eating and nutrient quality. The eggs are separated and only yolks are beaten into fat mixture. without cracks or large holes: The centre should not fall in but the cakes should shrink lightly from . Small cakes like queen cake . Pastry-blend or rubbing in method involves blending of fat and flour together. A good quality cake must be light. BATTERS AND PASTRIES cakes are batter products of flour mixtures that contain fat. consider the quality and type of cake as indicated by the recipe. The flour mixture and milk are added to the cream mixture and set aside. An examples of this type is chiffon or feather cake. In choosing mixing method. The muffin method involves all the dry ingredients being sifted together and the margarine is melted. cakes. 6. fruit upside down or carrot cake. There are four basic method of mixing cakes 1. 2.15 minutes. sides of pan when baked. The pan must not be filled more than half for two-thirds with the batter. Conventional sponge method in which the fat and half the sugar being creamed first. It must not be heavy. The egg whites are the whisked to become stiff and foamy and the flour mixture is folded into the stiff egg white. sticky or crumbly. All other ingredients which includes eggs and milk are added and beaten thoroughly till beaten thoroughly ill smooth.46 Method 1. 4. 3. The creaming method involves the creaming of fat and sugar with electric mixer or wooden spoon till the mixture is light and fluffy.
QUEEN CAKES (RUBBING . it means the cake is baked. baking powder. lime/lemon rind 150 grams sugar ¼ tsp.47 should have good shapes and rounded but slightly peaked tops. Stir in lemon rind and mix well. 8. salt and nutmeg into a bowl. When the knife comes out clean. Add the lemon juice and the milk gradually as the constituency becomes stiff. Fold in well 5. MARBLE CAKE 400 grams sifted flour 4 tsp baking powder 200 grams margarine 200 grams sugar Drops pink colouring 1 ½ tsp vanilla ½ tsp nutmeg 7-8 eggs 100ml-l50ml milk 1 tsp chocolate/cocoa powder or 2 tbsp browning Method 1. Grease cup cake pans and fill the pans. 7. Spoon mixtures into well greased queen cake pans or paper cups. Top with currants if desired and hake in moderately heated oven for 20-30 minutes. 5. When baked remove from heat and place on cooling racks. Bake in pre-heated oven of 325 (gas mark 2) for about 20 minutes. Always use a skewer or knife to check if cake is well baked by piercing the knife through the cake. 2. Cream margarine and sugar thoroughly until fluffy: 3. Beat egg and stir into the flour ingredients. QUEEN CAKES (CREAMING METHOD) 300 grams sifted flour 80ml milk 1 50 grams margarine 1tsp. Note: currants can be added to the flour before folding in or top of the queen cake as decoration before baking. Sieve ‘flour with baking powder. 3. Sift the flour.METHOD) 250 grams flour 75ml diluted milk 100g sugar 2 ½ tsp baking powder 3 eggs ¼ tsp salt 125 grams margarine/oil ½ tsp nutmeg 1 tsp lemon juice 1 ½ tsp lemon rind Method 1. 4. and beat with wooden spoon. Nutmeg (grated) 3 tsp baking powder 4 egg. Sponge cakes must be light with firm spongy texture that springs back when pressure is applied.IN. salt and nutmeg. 2 tbsp desiccated coconut or currants can be added when mixing. 6. 4. Finally fold in the last portion of the flour mixture and remaining milk. Now add a half of the milk and a second of the flour. Having all ingredients at room temperature. until well mixed Add baking powder and nutmeg into flour. . Add vanilla and cream well. alternating them. Sprinkle lemon rind over remaining flour. Cream well until the mixture is light and fluffy to a dropping consistency. Rub in the fat and sugar into the sifted flour ingredients with finger tips until the mixture looks like bread crumbs. 3. sieve two times. Add the washed eggs. well beaten 1 tsp vanilla 1 tbsp lemon/lime juice Method 1. Cream margarine. one at a time. Gradually pour beaten eggs into the creamed mixture. beaten well in each addition. sugar and vanilla together with electric mixer or wooden spatula. 2. Add ½ of the flour into the eggs mixture and fold and in the flour mixture. Make 12 small cakes. Note: 1 ½ tsp vanilla. 2.
4. The batter is now in three colours (cream. Using a whisk or mixer. Bake in 350°f in a pre-heated oven for 45 minutes. Serves 12. 3. When baked. 7. COCONUT/CARROT AND RAISIN CAKE 3 beaten eggs 1 ½ tsp all spice 175 grams sugar 300 grams grated carrots 100 grams raisin/currants 200ml vegetable/soft margarine 360 grams flour l tsp salt 2 tsp vanilla 3 tsp baking powder 150 grams toasted coconut Method 1. 2. 6. Using an electric mixer or whisk. Add vanilla mix well and serve as a warm sauce over cakes and puddings. salt. sugar and vegetable oil. Sift flour. 2. invert on a cooling rack can iced or served with vanilla sauce. Mix well and share batter into three equal separate portions in 3 bowls 5. Put water in a small pot to boil. beat well after each addition of egg white. Add dry ingredients. Serve 10. Slowly add vanilla and egg whites. Pour the cream coloured hatter that on the pink layer and spread the batter from the centre to sides of the pan. baking powder cream of tartar and salt three times. Baking powder l tsp baking soda 120m1 diluted milk . alternating with milk. Cream margarine and sugar thoroughly. Pour into a greased square pan and bake in pre-heated oven for 55 minutes. Spread the brown mixture at the bottom of the pan. VANILLA SAUCE 250rnl boiling water 60 grams sugar 2 tbsp corn starch powder 2 tbsp margarine ½ tsp nutmeg 1 tsp vanilla Method 1. Grease a medium square or round pan and lightly sprinkle flour over the grease pan. 5. 6. Mix the batter thoroughly. Stir in flour mixture. 6. 4. baking powder and all spice together. margarine.48 4. blend eggs. BANANA COCONUT CAKE 100grams dedicated coconut 200grams flour sifted 100grams margarine 100grams sugar 2 large bananas. Cream sugar. 2. custard powder and nutmeg. 3. Fold in the sifted dry ingredients alternately with milk. Blend in colours very well without over mixing batters. Stir the mixture into the boiling water. Batter may also be scooped in spoonful while alternating the colours till all the batter is put into the pan. grated carrot and toasted coconut. 3. FEATHER CAKE 250 grams sifted flour ½ tsp salt 120 grams sugar 4 egg whites 3 tsp baking flour 125 grams margarine 1 tsp vanilla 100ml milk 2 ½ tsp cream of tartar Method 1. Bake in pre-heated oven for 40 minutes. Sift cocoa powder into one portion and the pink colouring in another portion. brown and pink) in 3 bowls. Pour into a well greased square or round pan. Top the brown with the pink as second layer. one at a time. Sift flour. vanilla and currants alternately. peeled and mashed 2 large eggs 1 teasp.
3. made by heating 50 grams granulated sugar till it is brown (dark brown) and then 100ml boiled water is gradually stirred into it to lighten the thickness. Sieve out fruits and toss in little flour. Pour batter into well greased and floured pan. 2. Add the flavorings. GINGER BREAD 200 grams flour 60 grams (4 tbsp) margarine 1 ½ tsp ground ginger ¼ tsp salt ½ tsp cinnamon (opt. SOYA BEAN AND WHEAT FLOUR BREAD 300grams white flour 300grams soya bean flour 400m1 warm water or milk ltbsp margarine . then stir in the toasted coconut. Note: Caramels. Prepare desiccate coconut by toasting freshly grated coconut in the oven or over grill for 5 minutes. 4. Sift together the flour. Sift together the flour. 4. 5. Place on a wire rack to cool completely when fully baked. Beat eggs and add to margarine and sugar mixture. Bake at medium heat until cake is cooked (45-50minutes). Melt the margarine and ensure that all the ingredients are held at room temperature. Spoon topping over the whole top of the cake. 6. Remove from heat. Mix thoroughly until foamy. Preheat the oven 4. sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. baking powder and soda. Place margarine and sugar in a mixing bowl and cream until smooth and fluffy. Soak fruits in brandy. Gradually fold in the flour mixture and floured mixed fruits. Beak in the eggs one at a time. To make the topping. This can be used in place of browning.49 For the topping 25g (2 ½ tbsp) margarine 2 tbsp honey 120g shredded fresh coconut. Place all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and the mixture i s well beaten with electric or wooden spoon until smooth and creamy. 3. 3. Cream margarine. Add caramel or browning to sugar mixture. RICH CHOCOLATE FRUIT CAKE 10 eggs 1 tsp vanilla 500 grams sifted flour 2 tbsp brandy flavoring/150ml brandy 2 ½ tsp baking powder 150 grams mixed fruits 300 grams soft margarine 300 grams brown sugar 90 grams (6 tbsp browning/caramel) 1 tsp all spice 1 tsp vanilla 150 grams raisin/currants 1 tsp lemon juice 1 tsp strawberry flavoring 1 ½ tsp rind of one lemon 1 tsp almond flavor Method 1. Place cake batter in a greased square pan and bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes. lemon rinds and remaining brandy. Mix the remaining milk and mashed banana in a bowl and gradually combine the banana mixture with the flour mixture. nutmeg. 2.) ¼ tsp all spice 200ml prepared caramel 1 ½ tsp baking soda 180m1 evaporated milk left added for 10 minutes with 10ml lemon juice Method 1. Bake in per-heated oven of 3500f (gas mark 2) for 50minutes or until baked. place margarine. 2. using half of the milk. and leave to cool slightly. honey and grated coconut in a sauce pan and cook for about 5 minutes. Fold in the flour mixture into the margarine-sugar mixture. Method 1. allspice and baking powder. Pour into a greased brunet pan or hollow pan. 5. 7.
Pour cake batter over the pineapple as a second layer. little at a time. 2. Set aside and leave to cool completely before using for cake or caramel custard. Mix dough thoroughly until it stops sticking to the hands. 2. Bake at 350f for 50 minutes or until cake is golden brown. When adequately risen again. Shape in to two loaves and place in a greased bread pan. When double in size. 3. Add one egg at a time and beat thoroughly. 5. Reduce heat to 350°f and bake for 4Ominutes. stir in the warm milk and boiling waters. Place on a board and knead until firm and glossy. FRUIT UPSIDE DOWN CAKE 300 gram chopped pineapple 300 grams sifed flour 150 grams sugar 1 50 grams margarine 3 tsp baking powder ½ tsp salt 200m1 milk 1 tsp vanilla ½ tsp nutmeg 4-6 eggs. Mix again and knead a second time. Add the white flour to the soya bean dough to obtain a stiff consistency for kneading. Method 1. Note: Soya bean bread produces a heavy dough and requires more kneading man the regular plain white bread. sugar and vanilla and cream well. Beat well until the mixture is well blended. 7. 2. . 2tbsp sugar (reserve 2tbsp) and the salt. add half o f t h e flour and mix until smooth. Stir the dissolved yeast into the oatmeal mixture. Shape into loafs and place in a warm place to rise until double in size. Combine margarine. 4. Remove from pan and insert on cooling rack. 6. The pineapple should be evenly distributed all over the bottom. 3. Sprinkle the yeast into the 125m1 lukewarm water and stir in the remaining 2tbsp sugar until dissolved. 6.50 2-4 tbsp sugar 3 tsp dry yeast ½ tsp salt Method 1. 3. Knead very well and cover in a warm place for dough to rise until double in size (about 35 minutes) 5. OATMEAL BREAD 100grams uncooked quick oatmeal 125ml boiling water 60grams (4 tbsp) sugar 1tsp salt l25ml lukewarm water 250m1 warm milk 600grams sifted flour 60grams margarine 3 ½ tsp dry yeast Method 1. Stir and remove from heat when it starts bubbling to top level of the sauce pan. bake in pre-heated oven at 4000 f for 10 minutes first. 4. Mix the soya bean flour. Prepare a soft dough by using the dissolved yeast to mix the soya bean ingredients. Add the margarine. margarine salt and the remaining sugar in a bowl. Set aside until lukewarm. Fold in the dry ingredients alternately with the milk. 4. Serve with vanilla sauce as a dessert/sweet. 3. Add the remaining flour. Generously grease a medium square pan and fill the bottom of the pan with pineapple chunks. 5. Dissolve yeast in warm water with l tbsp sugar. Cover with a damp cloth or towel and let rise for 1 ½ hours under warm condition. reserving some for kneading. Cover and set aside for 5minutes. Boil sugar and water quickly without stirring until golden b r o w n and glossy. CARAMEL 100g sugar 200m1 cold water Method 1. Makes 2 loaves. Put the oatmeal in a large bowl. bake in a pre-heated oven for 30 minutes. 2.
1 tsp baking powder 200m1 cup boiling water 250 grams sifted flour lisp cinnamon Method 1. Break and grate off or scrape away the brown surface of the coconut flesh. beating well. ORANGE RUM CAKE 350 g sifted flour 1 ¼ tsp salt 1 ¼ tsp grated dry ginger 150g margarine 3 egg whites. . Decorate for anniversary ceremony when cool. Cover and set aside for 20 minutes. Add the caramel. vanilla and almond extract. Bake till dry but not coloured. Mix the brown sugar and margarine till soft. Toss together and set aside. Now sift the baking soda. Store in air tight containers for later use when cold. pour the boiling water over the oatmeal and mix thoroughly. stir to prevent burning or uneven browning. Cream margarine and sugar until light and fluffy. Mix together and add the currants to mixed fruits. 2. Cream margarine and sugar till light and fluffy. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 350° for about 45 minutes. Beat egg white again.seized cake pan and pour in the oatmeal cake and bake in a pre-heated oven for 45minutes. 1 ¼ tsp baking powder 1 ¼ tsp baking soda 150g sugar 3 egg yolks 180 ml orange juice ¼ tsp vanilla 2 tsp grated orange rind Method 1. COFFEE CAKE 200g margarine ¼ tsp salt 200g sugar 200g mixed fruits/currants 200m1 caramel 1 tsp cinnamon/coffee 300g flour ½ tsp nutmeg 3 tsp baking powder 1 tsp vanilla 2 tsp strawberry flavor cashew nuts 4 tbsp (optional) 6eggs Method 1. Gradually beat in tile beaten eggs. OATMEAL CAKE 100g oatmeal (quick cooking oatmeal) 1 60grarns brown sugar 1 tsp baking soda ½ tsp salt 100grams mixed fruits or currants. Grease a medium. Beat eggs till thick and mix in to the sugar and fat mixture. 4. 3. 5. . Fold in the flour ingredients. Grate the coconut and spread out on a baking tray and put in a preheated oven. Stir in the orange rind. Gradually blend in the softened oatmeal.51 DESICCATED COCONUT 1 coconut Method 1. beaten stiff 60m1 rum ½ tsp almond extract/Cloves 4 tbsp caramel. beating very well. 3. 6. 3. 2. Sift together the first 5 ingredients twice 2. Mix the orange juice with the rum together 4. Fold in the egg whites into the flour mixture (batter) and pour into the greased 1 0 inch pan. Add the egg yolks one at a time. Add the dry ingredients and run mixture alternately into the creamed margarine and sugar mixture with the orange juice mixture. Prepare caramel and set aside to cool. Occasionally. 2. 4. cinnamon and salt into the sifted flour.
3. 3. 8. Stir in the fermented yeast with a Spoon and beat the mixture lightly. Allow to cool and cut into squares to serve as finger food. Sift sugar. 2. . 5. flour. Stir in the milk and mix thorough. 4. 2. salt and baking powder. Pre-heat the oven. PLAIN BREAKFAST PANCAKES 10 tbspflour ¼ egg 2 tsp sugar 125ml milk ¼ tsp salt 1 tbsp vegetable 1 ½ tsp baking powder Method 1. PUFF-PUFF 300 grams sifted flour ½ tsp salt 45 grams/3 tbsp sugar Vegetable oil for deep frying 1 tbsp margarine/oil 1 ½ tsp yeast 250rnl water lukewarm Method 1. 9.52 5. Sift the flour. 6. 4. Flip the pancake cover to brown the other side. Add scrambled eggs or sausage as breakfast dish. Fry until golden brown on all sides. 5. remaining sugar and salt in a bowl. salt and baking powder till the mixture becomes crumbs. Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 45 minutes. RICH BUNS 250g flour(sifted) egg 60 grams/4 tbsp margarine 50g sugar Vegetable oil for deep frying 100-125ml water 2 tbsp milk ½ tsp salt 2 tsp baking powder 3 tsp corned beef (optional) Method 1. Mix the sifted flour. Heat the oil for frying and use oiled spooned to scoop the mixture. Using a wooden spoon. Lightly grease medium-sized baking pan and pour the batter into the pan. 4. When brown. Serve with honey or pancake syrup. 7. Yields 1 serving of4 pancakes. Mix the flour. fat. Cover bowl with a damp towel and place till it doubles it original size or leave in the refrigerator over night. 2. 7. Make a well at the centre of the flour mixture and add one beaten egg at a time. rise to the top and become popped. Drain out oil and serve as snack. Beat and drop the batter in balls from oiled Spoon into the hot oil. Stir in the nuts and mixed fruits. Dissolve half of the sugar in the yeast. margarine. test for doneness and remove from heat. beat the mixture lightly for about 3 minutes. In a separate bowl beat the egg. Heat vegetable oil. Pour ¼ of the batter into the centre of the pan over medium heat until bubbles form. Beat the batter until it is smooth. 5. Fry until the mixture is light brown and remove with a straining spoon. Serve as a snacks. Cover and allow to ferment till it bubbles (1 5 minutes). Stir in the dry ingredients into the milk egg-mixture. Cover and set aside for about 10 minutes. milk and vegetable oil. sugar. At this time the underside of the pancake is golden brown. 6. salt and baking powder combine then in small portions with the fat mixture by folding in and alternatively adding the spices and flavoring. Alternately mold batter in balls and drop in the heated oil. Add ¼ tsp of the corned beef to the batter in the spoon and drop the batter as ball into the deep frying pan oil. Heat a heavy frying pan (small sized) on top cooker and grease the bottom lightly with a teaspoon of vegetable oil. 3.
For best result. Cookies should neither be too hard. 4. It produces very tender and flaky crusts. Prepare the filling and set aside to cool. well folded and sealed together to prevent leakages. It produced less flaky and tender crusts and it is often used for commercial productions. Pastry is made by cutting fat into the flour and salt until the mixture becomes like bread crumbs. Makes 8 pies. The dough is gathered to form a ball and rolled on a flat surface. 5. Cold water is added gradually to the mixture and it is combined together. The tops are also lightly brushed with beaten egg or milk for browning as a form of garnishing. After mixing. Plain pastry may be classified according to the ratio of fat to flour. Cuts should be made at the top of each pie with fork or knife to permit steam to escape during baking. Cookies is another favorite snack made from soft dough. Cut the top with a fork and the beaten egg. fat. chilled and cut into desired shapes with biscuit cutter. When baked. They should be removed from the trays immediately they are baked. The pies are arranged in well greased baking trays and placed in pre-heated ovens. The softer doughs may be dropped on baking trays for baking. the pastry dough should not be over stretched when rolling and cutting. salt and water. Gather into a ball and set aside for 15-30 minutes. Cookies can be mixed by creaming method or pastry method. Toss flour and salt together.53 PASTRIES AND COOKIES Pies are made from plain pastry which is a stiff dough made from flour. nor too soft or crumbly. tender and golden brown in colour. . (2) Flaky pastry has ratio of two-thirds fat to the flour. Before mixing the ingredient for pastry. The salt contributes to flavor and the fat gives tenderness. 2. Over mixing will result in toughness of cookies. board and dough when rolling. the dough nay be left for about 15 minutes for flour to be well hydrated and for easier handling. eggs and milk. always set aside some flour that will be needed to sprinkle on. SAUSAGE ROLL AND FISH PIES) i) Short-Crust Margarine Pastry (ii) Oil Pastry 300 grams flour (sifted) 300 grams flour (sifted) Pinch salt 2 tsp baking powder 150 grams margarine 150m1 vegetable oil 100ml cold water 50m1 cold water 1 egg for glazing 1 egg for glazing Pinch salt ii) Margarine-Oil Pastry 300g flour ½ tsp salt 60g margarine 60m1 vegetable oil 60ml water (iv) Suet Pastry (Economy) 300g flour 3 tsp baking powder 100g margarine/oil 75m1 water ¼ tsp salt Method 1. pastries should be flaky. BASIC PASTRY (FOR MEAT. Fill with meat. The tops at the top of each pie with fork or knife to permit steam to escape during baking. Sprinkle with enough cold water to moisten. rising agents and flavorings. The flour must be of good quality in order to produce firm products. 7. After mixing. Bake in pre-heated oven for 30-40 minutes. Alternatively. Add the fat and mix until mixture looks like fine bread crumbs. Machine is also used for mixing of pastry in order to have cumulated quantity of fats well distributed in the flour and incorporate sufficient air into the dough and improve tenderness. and cold water is desirable. 3. Cover the pie shells and seal properly. The water is used to bind the ingredients. the dough is lolled. (3) The suet pastry has less amount of fat and one-third fat to flour quantity is used. The surfaces may be smooth or rough. fish or sausage fillings. The pies must be sufficiently filled. It is made with flour. Roll out to ¼ inch thickness on floured board and cut into shapes. care must be taken to avoid kneading and over stretching of the pastry for handling can cause the pie crusts to shrink and become tough when baked. The dough is rolled into ¼ inch thickness and cut into desired sizes and shapes. Pie filling must be made earlier and cooled before filling the pie shells. 8. When mixing and rolling. 6. fat. sugar. pies may also be fried in deep fat. They are (1) short crust pastry which has half fat to the flour measurement It is fairly flaky and crumbles easily.
8. Cook for 8 minutes until beef is cooked. Mix the sausage and curry or nutmeg. folding in and stirring well un flour is well absorbed. 4. 3. nutmeg and sa1t Toss together until mixture forms crumbs. Brush milk or egg wash on top and bake in pre-heated 3500f heated oven for 30-40 minutes. 3. Place the rolls on a greased baking sheet or tray and glaze the tops with beaten eggs. Add baking powder. peas. In a bowl cut in the margarine and rub in to have flour crumbs. Use fork to cut the top of the rolls and place in greased pan. which now gives 4 sausage rolls. Stir-fry for 2 minutes and remove from heat. Using the rolling pin. roll out the dough into Y2 inch thickness in rectangular shape. Sift flour and salt 2. 3. Using a spoon. 6. 6. 5. water and the seasonings stir well to mix up ingredients. CORNED BEEF ROLLS 300g flour 100ml cold water 150g margarine 1 small can corned beef Pinch salt 1 beaten egg for glazing Method 1. Prepare the margarine or oil pastry. Fry for 2 seconds and then add minced beef or fish flakes. Handle dough as little as possible and place balts on a floured board. 5. Rub in the fat into the flour. 7. Seal the edges and use a knife and cut into 2 ½ to 3 inches sizes. Add carrots. 4. Rub the sausage generously along the centre of pastry. See diagram for rolling out cutting guidelines. chopped and boil 2 ½ margarine or vegetable oil Method 1. 9. melt margarine or heat oil and add onion. Fold over the rolled pastry from the long side until the rectangle makes 3-4 folding. Bake in preheated oven for about 40 minutes or till light brown. 5.54 MEAT PIE/FISH PIE FILLING 50 grams minced beef/flaked cooked fish 2 tsp flour ¼ tsp salt 100ml beef broth 4 potatoes diced and boiled 1 tsp curry 1 tsp thyme 4 tbsp peas 1 carrot. Sprinkle flour into the mixture. Roll over in two or three folding. Spread the corned beef evenly over the surface of the flat dough as for sausage roll. SAUSAGE ROLL 250 grams beef sausage ½ tsp curry or nutmeg Basic pastry recipe 1 egg (beaten) for glazing Method 1. Add the beef broth. Make a well in the centre of the mixture and add water gradually to form a past. . Roll up the remaining pastry. 4. Gather the mixture in small balls without kneading. spread the mixed sausage on the surface of the rectangle. CHIN CHIN 300 grams sifted flour 75g margarine 1 egg ½ tsp salt Vegetable oil for frying 45g (4 tbsp) sugar ½ tsp baking powder pinch nutmeg 2-3 tbsp cold water 1 ½ tbsp powdered milk Method 1. 2. Roll dough on lightly floured board to a 4 by 12 inches in rectangle of ½ inch long thickness. 2. Remove 2-3 tbsp of flour mixture for rolling out. In a saucepan.
6. the chin-chin will soak the oil and will no be crisp. Cover each half. STUFFED EGG ROLL 4 large eggs (hardboiled) 2 tbsp minced cooked fish ½ tsp curry 3 tbsp milk 6 tbsp margarine (90g) ½ tsp ground pepper 200g plain sifted flour ½ tsp soy or maggi sauce pinch salt and pepper ½ tsp baking powder Method 1. 7. pepper. 5. Gather the mixture into a ball and roll into ½ inch thickness on a board. Seal the edge of the last fold with little water. pepper. 3. Gather dough into balls and leave for 10-15 minutes for flour absorb liquid well. 3. 6. 4. Stir well and sprinkle in the flour to bind the ingredients. flour and salt into a bowl. 3. Heat oil in deep fryer and fry the rolled up egg till golden brown. Pre-heat oil and fry until light brown. Add the flaked fish. Note: Corned beef or sardines can be used as alternatives. 6. Spread the filling all over the dough surface and roll the rectangular pastry in two or three folds. Now roll out on floured board into 1 ¼ or ½ inch thickness and cu into cubes or dices. 2. Stir-fry for 2 minutes and remove from heat to cook while pastry is prepared. FISH ROLL a) Fish filling 250g flaked cooked fish ½ tsp flour ½ tsp curry ½ tsp salt 2 tbsp water ½ chopped onion 2 tsp vegetable oil Method 1. 2. 2. Allow chin-chin pieces to drain off oil after frying. 4.55 2. Sieve the baking powder. Make a thick paste with flour remaining margarine. If heat is too low or much quantity is fried at time. Peel the boiled eggs. curry. flour board with reserved mixture. Heat the vegetable oil and onion in a frying pan for 2seconds. Serve wit groundnuts as snack. Add cold water and bind together. Split into 2 sections again and garnish with cucumber slice to serve. Do no knead pastry. 4. Divide the yolk mixture into 4 equal portions and fill 3 each egg (half of white) with the yolk mixture. salt ingredients thoroughly. b) Pie shell (pastry) 300g flour ½ tsp salt 100g fat ½ tsp baking powder 60-80ml cold water 1 egg for glazing Method 1. 5. Drain and serve hot. cut length wise through the middle and scoop out the yolks. Use paste (flattened) to cover each filled egg coated first in flour pinch the joining edges for proper sealing of the paste. Place the yolk in a bowl with the minced fish. Cut into rectangular shapes and fill them with the cooked fish filling. milk. seasoning and water. Add 1 tbsp margarine and 1 tbsp milk to the egg yolk and mix well. EGG ROLL 4 eggs (hard boiled) 200g sifted flour 50g fat 2 tsp baking powder ½ tsp salt ½ tsp sugar 60m1 cold water oil for deep frying . pressing together to form a whole egg again. 5. Cut in margarine into the flour and gradually sprinkle water into the flour and mixture to moisten. salt. Cut into 3 inch long rolls and place in a greased baking tray Glaze the top with beaten egg and put in the oven to bake for about 40 minutes. 3.
Make a well in the centre. Grease a swiss cake pan and line with a greased paper. 4. Fill each pie shell with the prepared filling. Fold in lightly with a metal spoon. add the water gradually to make a fi r m paste while handling the mixture as little and lightly as possible. 3. add the sugar lightly and continue to whisk until the egg mixture has doubled into size and become thick and creamy. The water should not be too hot the bowl should not touch the water to prevent the eggs from curding. 6. 5. Reserving one table spoon of flour. SCOTCH EGGS 4 hard boiled eggs 4 tbsp bread crumbs 200g beef sausage ½ tsp curry 2 tbsp sifted flour . FRIED PIES 300g flour ½ tsp salt 100g margarine 50. Put the mixture in to the greased pan over the paper and spread evenly. Sieve baking powder into the sieved flour and sieve the sugar separately. Remove the beaten egg from the top of the hot water and sprinkle half of the flour over the egg mixture. Serve as snacks. 9. Now coat the shelled egg with remaining flour and wrap each egg. Damp the rim or edge of the pie shell with water and seal the rim of the pie firmly 6. Now whisk. When baked. with a portion of dough. Sieve flour.80m1 water ½ tsp baking powder Beans. After 5 minutes of whisking. Heat oil for deep frying and cook the eggs under moderate. Cut into smaller rolls. Break the eggs into a mixing bowl and place the bowl over a pan of hot water. Remove sugared paper and cool the roll on a cake rack. Use a pastry cutter to cut pie shapes. Now sprinkle the remaining flour and continue to fold in until flour is completely absorbed. salt and baking powder into a bowl 2. drain serve as snack or cocktail. 6. Gradually fold in the vanilla and warm water. 8. 4. 3. Cut the margarine into the flour ingredients. fold the dough like a skin over the egg and seal edges very well with the egg fully enclosed and the egg shapes still maintained. sugar. 5.56 Method 1. 4. heat until the coating is golden brown on all sides. 5. Now spread the warm jam all over the surface of the rectangular-shaped cake. turn out the cake on a sugared paper and remove the baking paper carefully. Gather the soft dough in a ball. Roll out pastry about ¼ inch (1/2 cm) thick. Rub in the margarine for the flour mixture to form crumbs. 7. sugar and salt together 3. Add cold water to make the dough. Now roll up quite firmly and leave the roll wrapped up in the sugared paper for about 10 minutes to keep the roll in food shape. 7. 8. Peel hard-boiled eggs and set aside. mix flour. Coat the remaining eggs. vegetable oil for frying . without stretching. Taking one at a time. 2. share the dough in to 6 portions and flatten each portion to ¼ inch thickness. SWISS ROLL 100 grams sifted flour 3 eggs ½ tsp baking powder 2-3 tbsp warm jam 100grams sugar l tbsp warm water ½ tsp vanilla essence Method 1. 2. Fry pies in heated vegetable oil till golden brown. fish or meat filling (already prepared) 1 ½ tsp sugar Vegetable oil for deep frying Method 1. Bake in a pre-heated oven until golden brown and firm.
fresh fruits drinks. 4. 8. Blend vanilla and desired food colouring. Stimulants: Coffee. tea and cocoa are popular in meals. Squashes are boiled concentrates of juices to which small proportion of sugar has been added. Form 2 rolls each of 7 inches long and 1 ½ inches wide which look like sausage roll. COCONUT BALLS 125g margarine 1 tsp vanilla 130g sifted flour 60g sifted sugar ½ tbsp water 200g shredded coconut Method 1. Bake in slow oven for about 20 minutes or until firm to touch. Energizers: Malted and vegetable drinks. 5. add flour and mix well. 5. beat until blended. malted and vegetable juices. Cream margarine. Remove from heat and cool on wire racks. . 2. Also. mineral water. sugar and vanilla. flask and teapots. Gradually add flour. Bake for 8-10 minutes. ensure that you use appropriate’ utensils like jugs. Put 2 or 3 cookies together with the vanilla filling in between them. VANILLA FILLING 65gmargarifle 140g icing sugar 1 egg white ½ tsp Food colour (pink or yellow) Method 1. Now prepare the vanilla filling that will be used to sandwich two or three cookies together. minerals and vitamins. Allow them to cool thoroughly before removing them from the baking tray. Chapter Seven BEVERAGES AND DESSERTS A beverage is any kind of drink that is prepared for human consumption. Maintenance of proper hygiene is important when handling the ingredients. Milk contains protein. fat. However. tea. 3. as accompaniments to meal or the final course of a meal. Place the balls apart in an ungreased baking tray or sheet. beating until light and fluffy. Peel or scrape off the brown back of the coconut flesh. Cream margarine and sugar. boast the body’s energy and vitality and ensure a healthy lifestyle. Stir in the coconut and mould into I inch balls. egg drinks. beer etc. ensure that good quality fresh fruits are used.58 Method 1. Add sugar alternately with egg white. fruits juices. Chill for ease in handling. 3. Fruits and vegetable juices are good source of vitamins and some minerals and are obtained from squeezing the fruits. Beverages may come from mostly animals or fruits and vegetables. 4. fruit and milk drinks are more nutritious. 6. Refreshers: Fruit drinks and soft drinks. When preparing beverages. Nutritious drinks provide specific nutrients to help fight illness. Nourishers: Milk shakes. 5. coffee. Health Promoters: Fruit and vegetable juices Beverages may serve as appetizers in meals. 2. 4. 3. They are later mixed with water or other beverage and served chilled. Make 3 dozens. They are grouped as follows: 1. Use filling for sandwiching sponge cakes as well. 2. When fruits juices are mixed with water (1 to 3 parts water) and sweetened with sugar or honey. the beverage is known as fruit drink. Makes 2 ½ -3 dozens. cocoa. Stir in the water. 6. Sedatives: Alcoholic drinks. 3. Now cut into ‘/2 inch sizes (thickness of slice) and place in lightly oiled baking pan. Beat in egg and vanilla. stimulating drinks between meals. Soft drinks. Shred coconut and set aside. egg hot drinks. 2. lemon grass and scent leaf tea. 7. 6.
Place the sugar and water in a saucepan and heat till all sugar are dissolved. peel pawpaw and remove the seeds.59 GRAPE FRUIT DRINK 2 ripe grape fruits 500ml water Syrup to taste Method 1. 4. 2. Stir in the orange juice. Cool and add to fruit drinks. Note: Syrup for flavoring fruit drinks should be prepared before hand and allowed to cool before addition to drinks. 3. Syrup (For Fruity Drinks) 75g sugar 250m1 water Method 1. 2. . WATER MELON DRINK 1 small watermelon fruit 1 lemon/lime Syrup and water to taste 500m1 boiled water Method 1. 3. WATERMELON BASKET ½ water melon ½ medium pineapple 250m1 orange juice 23 bananas 1 red apple 1 lemon Method 1. 3. Leave to cook and chill before serving. Sweeten with syrup 3. PAWPAW DRINK ½ ripe pawpaw 1 tsp lemon/lime juice 500m1 boiled water Syrup and water to taste (250ml water boiled with 75g sugar) Method 1. Combine these in a bowl to prevent browning of the bananas. Pour over the juice in a jar. reserving the shell. Using a sharp knife. trim the edge for the watermelon shell by cutting a saw tooth edge. Remove seeds. Wash fruit and cut into sections. Slice the bananas and dice the pineapple. Chili before serving. 2. Squeeze out the juice. Wash and cut fruit into halves. Scoop out the melon fruit. Fill the shell with fruit salad and decorate with quartered lemon Seal the top of the watermelon basket with clean film or foil paper and chill before serving. Wash. scoop out the pulp and squeeze out juice through a sieve. Boil the water and leave to cool. Blender can be used to crush the pulp before sieving. Boil for another five minutes for4fie syrup to thicken slightly. Add syrup to taste and the lemon juice. discarding the seeds. 2. Orange and pineapple juices maybe added. Make ½ inch water melon cubes from the scooped watermelon.
6. Mix well and pour in to cocktail glasses. Add previously boiled water to mashed pawpaw and strain into a glass jug. 5. Combine all the ingredients in a jug except the cucumbers7 lemon slices and the bitter lemon soft drink. Sweeten with syrup or honey if desired.60 2. Serve chilled in glasses and garnish with lemon/lime slices. the thoroughly washed pineapple peels can be boiled in 700m1 water strained into jugs and chilled before serving. Cut beetroot in to small pieces as well as the apple. peel and remove the hard core at the middle. Scrub pineapple. Keep the zobo boiling for about 30 minutes till the colour is fully absorbed into the liquid. Wash them in clean water. Add the pure water to filter and obtain the juice. Pour into jugs and chill before serving. Alternatively. stir in the ginger or cloves and set aside for few minutes. Method 1. but do not peel beet root. Remove from heat. Wash lemon(s) and squeeze out the juice. 2. Add the pure water and strain into a glass jug. 2. 3. 3. CHAPMAN’S DRINK 250ml orange juice 1 tbsp bitters ltsp sugar syrup (optional) Juice of 1-2 lemons 300m1 bitter lemon 2 cucumber or lemon slices. 7. 2. Leave to cool completely. remove immediately from the water and place them in a sauce pot. Add ice blocks to serve immediately. BEETROOT AND CARROT DRINK 1 raw beetroot 2 medium carrots 1 apple (red or green) 500m1 pure water Method 1. 5. Garnish side of glass with cucumber/lemon slices. The fleshy part of pineapple is cut and served as a dessert or refreshments. Sweeten with syrup and add the lemon juice. Stir in the pineapple juice and sugar to taste. Sort the dried zobo flower to remove all dirt in it. 2. Serve chilled in tall glasses with a sprig of lime leaf as garnishing. Use a blender or juicing machine to blend the fruits. Wash. scrape and grate carrots. Cover and keep drink until cold. Put chucks of pineapple in a bowl and use a crusher/blender to squeeze out the juice. Boil the 3 litres of water and pour over the washed zobo. ZOBO DRINK 200g zobo flower (1/4 basket) 3 litres of water 3 tsp crushed ginger 500m1 pineapple/orange juice sugar to taste 3 tsp crushed cloves Method 1. Cut into small chunks and put in a bowl. 4. 3. Wash. ORANGE AND MILK PUNCH 500m1 (2 cups) orange juice 1 tbsp sugar/honey 500ml diluted evaporated milk 1 tsp milk flavour . Mash the pawpaw or pulp in a blender. Serve chilled. PINEAPPLE DRINK 4 slices or small ripe pineapple 1 lime/lemon juice 700ml boiled water 1 tsp crushed ginger syrup to taste Method 1. Stir in ginger. Add lime and syrup. Filter very well and discard the chaff. 4. 4. Add the bitter lemon last.
The mixture now becomes a fairly thick liquid with some foamy substance and plantain pieces at the top. 5. Pour mixture into an air-tight plastic bowl and cover well. M ix in remaining water and strain the liquid into a glass jar. 2. Wash and peel bananas/plantains. Mix the orange juice and milk together. add sugar or syrup (if necessary) and boil for 20 minutes.61 Method 1. 4. Garnish with orange slices serve in tall glasses. Filter the mixture through a fine sieve into another plastic or glass bowl. Add milk flavour 2. 2. Avoid use of aluminum utensils. 3. Serve in tall glasses garnished with few pawpaw chunks. CHAMPAGNE AND ORANGE JUICE COCKTAIL DRINK 500m1 champagne 1 tbsp honey 500m1 orange juice 4 lemon slices Method 1. APPLE AND WINE DRINK 2 apples 1 lemon 75ml brandy 200m1 ginger ale. Crush it and pass through a sieve to extract the juice. 4. 3. 5. TEA PUNCH 250m1 apple juice 1 litre orange juice 500m1 brewed tea 2 tbsp bitters (optional) 1 bottle ginger ale (fanta ginger) 2 tsp ground cloves Orange slices to garnish Method 1. Wash fruit very well. Pour the fruit juices and tea over a large block of ice in a punch bowl. Serve immediately in wine glasses garnish with lemon slices. Mash but do not blend the plantain pieces and add the water. Add the bitters and ginger ale. PLANTAIN DRINK 2 ripe plantains/ripe bananas syrup to taste (optional) 1 ½ litre boiled cooled water Method 1. sweeten to taste with the sugar or honey. 6. 6. 3. Slice into bits and put in a bowl. Pour liquid into a pot. 2. Add syrup and nutmeg/vanilla. Place in a bowl and add a little water to the fleshy part. Store in a plastic container in a cool place for about 24-48 h o u r s (overnight). Chill the orange juice and the wine. Chill till serving. SOUR SOP DRINK 1 medium ripe sour sop 1 litre of previously boiled water syrup to taste ½ tsp nutmeg/vanilla Method 1. Note: Pineapple or grape fruit juices may be used or added. After heating cool and chill drink till service time. chilled. Remove the flesh of the sour sop and discard the seeds. Chill and serve garnished with lemon slices. 2. 4 lemon slices 2 tbsp sugar syrup . Mix all the ingredients in a punch bowl.
4. Cut into pieces. Add the syrup to the juices 4. Combine the juice in a bowl. Serve chilled. lime or grapefruit can be used in place of lemon or in addition to lemon. Decorate with slices of lemon and top the drink with ginger ale or fanta soft drink. Blend half of the orange juice and milk in a blender until smooth. Mix all ingredients either by whisking or mixing in a blender. Peel the lemon and out the pit including the seeds. one at a time. Note: Oranges. Add ice cubes and lime/lemon slices and serve chilled. MIXED FRUIT DRINK (PUNCH) 500ml orange juice 500mlpineapplejuice 100ml lemon juice 1 bottle non-alcoholic fruit wine or 2bottlesgingerale 1 litre of chilled pure water 200m1 grape juice 100g sugar Method 1. Dust with nutmeg as garnishing. Push the lemon pieces and apple sections through a juice extractor/blender. Half a teaspoon of brandy flavor can be used in place of pure brandy. BREAKFAST DELIGHT DRINK 1 tin evaporated milk (diluted) 400ml orange/pineapple juice 3 eggs Syrup to taste Method 1. Stir in the remaining orange juice. Cut into halves and trim off few thin slices o f t h e rind from half of a lemon. 3. 2. Stir in the brandy. LEMONADE 3 large lemons (ripe) Syrup to taste l000ml previously boiled water Method 1. strained juice and sugar syrup. CARROT MANGO DRINK 3 medium carrots (peeled and grated) 1 ripe mango . Chill the brandy. Serve into four glasses and add ice cubes. Add sugar if desired. Pour into glasses. Squeeze the juices from the lemons into a jug.62 Method 1. 3. 2. Wash lemons. Cover the jug and allow the lemonade to cool. Strain the juice into a jug. 2. ENERGY EGGNOG 1 egg 1 can of diluted evaporated milk 1 tbsp brandy (optional) 2tbsp honey 150m1 orange juice Method 1. Wash and cut apples into sections. Serve chilled with lemon slice topping as garnishing. Wash and break eggs into saucer. Add eggs to mixture. Mix well after each addition. tangerines. 2. Stir in the syrup and strain. Add the lemon rind pour the water into the jar. 3. 3. 2. Stir well and add the wine or ginger ale. Dissolved sugar in water.
DESSERTS/SWEETS Desserts are light food items that are used to add final touch to meals. 2. stirring well till dissolved 2. 3. Stir in the run or run flavouring. making sure that it is not stretched 4. Sieve flour and salt gradually incorporate into the egg and sugar mixture. Therefore. PINEAPPLE COCONUT DRINK 500m1 pineapple juice chilled 80m1 dark run or ½ tsp run flavouring 500m1 hot water 1 tsp vanilla extract 100g sugar ½ tsp ground cloves 1 pack cream of coconut Method 1. 5. Allow to rest in a cool place before using for jam tarts. Serve chilled in glasses with ice cubes. Dilute cream of coconut in the 500m1 hot water in a bowl Add sugar. In preparing and serving desserts. 7. Cover and set aside. Melt margarine and leave to cool. Add the pineapple juice and pour into a jug chill and serve garnished with cucumber slices and pineapple chunks threaded on cocktail skewers placed on glass of the drink. cloves and vanilla Mix thoroughly. SUGAR PASTRY 200g sugar 100g margarine 2-3 tbsp water 1 egg 50g sugar ¼ tsp salt Method 1. Most light desserts are usually served chilled. cakes an puddings) and light dessert dishes (ices and fruits). Mix the carrot and mango drink in a jug and sweeten with honey or sugar. Continue until smooth mixture that light. Place in a greased. Wash. 4. Whisk eggs. Cut up carrots and blend to a smooth pulp. beans pie or fish pie. floured baking pan. Remove from heat and whisk until cold and thick. Fold in the melted margarine or vegetable oil gently. 5. 3. Leave to cool 3. Mix carefully until slightly smooth Handle pastry gently. 3. Cream eggs and sugar. Beat in the vanilla and lemon extract. creamy and double in size is obtained. 4. appropriate cooling temperature is important for maximum enjoyment of such dishes. Fold in sifted flour and baking powder very gently 6. peel and chop mango flesh. it is important to maintain good hygiene in order to prevent contamination of the products and prevent excessive changes in temperature This is very important in serving milk and fruit salad desserts. Add the remaining water to the crushed mango and filter out the liquid. 6. CHIFFON CAKE 4 eggs 100g sugar 100gflour 1 tsp baking powder 50g margarine/3 ½ tbsp vegetable oil ½ tsp cream of tartar 1 tsp vanilla extract/lemon extract Method 1. Add three quarters of the water to the carrots and strain out the liquid into a bowl. They are usually served as the third courses in meals (fruits pies.63 Sugar to taste 800m1 water Method 1. vegetable tarts. sugar and cream of tartar in a bowl over a pan of hot water. Bake in a moderately hot oven for about 30 minutes ECONOMY VANILLA ICE CREAM 500ml evaporated milk 2 eggs . Add margarine and nix well 2. Place in a bowl and mash very well. 2. They increase the enjoyment of meals.
Do not allow to boil. Add vanilla and chill before serving 8-10 servings. BAKED CUSTARD 4 eggs 1 tin evaporated milk diluted With 2 parts water 1 tsp vanilla/nutmeg Pinch of salt 2 tbsp sugar Method 1. Mix cornstarch or custard and a little milk. beating only the milk. sugar and egg yolk together. vanilla. 5. stirring until it thickens. 5.64 2 tbsp sugar 1 tsp vanilla/banana essence 15g gelatine 2 tbsp water Method 1. fruit chunks or jam. FRENCH ICE CREAM 100g sugar 3 egg whites Pinch salt 250m1 evaporated milk\ 3 egg yolks 1 ½ ml vanilla(1 ½ teaspoon) 2 tbsp cornstarch Method 1. Heat the mixture to hotness. Makes 6-8 servings. and bake for 25 minutes. Beat egg yolk and blend 25g of sugar. 6. 4. make it thick and set aside. 3. 2. Gradually add the vanilla or banana flavor essence. Vanilla/nutmeg Method 1. Get the egg-milk mixture from freezer and beat till smooth and creamy. mixture. 3. Freeze in covered plastic container until it is firm (4hrs). Serve in cups. Pour into greased baking pan. Cook for 2 minutes longer and remove from heat. Serve as dessert. Heat milk to lukewarmness.serve topped with cornflakes. Prepare cornstarch with little boiled water. 2. Cook water in a pan and leave to simmer. Add the cooked cornstarch and mix well. CORNSTARCH CUSTARD 60g (4 ½ tbsp) sugar 270m1 milk 40-50g (3 ½ tables) custard powder or plain cornstarch. 3. Remove from heat and leave to cool. milk. 4. Heat remaining milk for 2 minutes and pour over blended custard powder or cornstarch mixture. Place the milk mixture over water simmering in the pan. Fold the egg whites into the egg yolk and milk mixture. 3. Beat eggs slightly. Beat reserved egg whites to stiffness and fold into the cooled milk. Cover in a plastic bowl and leave to set in the freezer (about 6 hours). Return to sauce pan and cook over medium heat. 2. Cover mixture and freeze for another 5 -10 minutes while beating egg whites and remaining sugar to stiffness. 4. stirring constantly as the mixture boils. nutmeg and salt. Dissolve gelatine in 2 tbsp water and stir into milk mixture. Separate eggs . Note: Caramel may be poured into pan or individual queen cake pans before the custard (milk and egg mixture) is poured on it to bake. . stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. Freeze for 30 minutes until mushy. Beat the milk mixture until thick and stiff enough to form peaks. Add vanilla and pour into a shallow pan. salt and milk. add sugar. 2.
PARTY VANILLA ICE CREAM 500m1 evaporated milk 1 tbsp gelatin (15 gram) 1 tbsp vanilla /banana flavour ½ cup corn flakes (crushed) 2 eggs 2 tbsp sugar 5 tbsp water ¼ cup coconut flakes Method 1. Place the bowl of milk -egg mixture over another bowl of hot water (not directly inside hot water) and whisk the mixture till it thickens. 3. 3. 2. Pour lemon juice over banana and diced apples to prevent browning of the surface immediately after slicing. 3.65 FRUIT FREEZE 2 teaspoon lemon/lime juice 250m1 orange juice 1 tsp vanilla 250 ml pineapple juice 250m1 mango juice Method 1. Top with coconut pieces. Scoop into cocktail glasses and garnish with a slice of lemon. except shredded coconut. 2. 4. 2. (not hard frozen) stirring once. Combine all the above ingredients in plastic bowl and mix well. 5. Cool and bottle. 4. FRUIT JAM 40grams chopped pineapple (2 mgt) 250m1 water 1 tbsp lime juice 300grams (1 mgt) sugar Method 1. Cook until set but not sticky (about 35 minutes). Take back to freezer and leave for about 3-4 hours to allow the ice cream to be fully set. Dissolve gelatine in the remaining 2tbsp4water over low heat. Mix orange juice and honey and pour over the fruits. While still hot. vanilla . Serve decorated with corn flakes. Toss gently again before serving into cocktail glasses or salad cups. sugar and vanilla/banana flavour together. 4. lemon juice 1 tin evaporated milk 60 grams icing sugar 6 tsp. Cover bowl and place mixture in the freezer Leave to chill for about 40 minutes until the mixture is fairly set 6. Bring out and beat well again till mixture is fluffy Mix cornflakes and coconut flakes and line the bottom of a square dish Pour ice cream over coconut and com flakes. CRUNCHY FRUIT SALAD 1 apple diced 1 banana sliced 1 large orange in fleshy sections ¼ watermelon deseeded and diced 50 grams raising! mixed fruits 4 tbsp shredded coconut ½ cup orange juice 3 tbsp honey 2 tbsp lemon juice Method 1. Beat eggs. 2. Cover and chill for at least 3 hours. Colour is golden brown. Remove from the hot water bowl and leave to cool. pour dissolved gelanne over cooled mixture Add the remaining evaporated milk and beat till fully blended. 3. Freeze until mushy. Cook half of the sugar and water with the pineapple chunks until the fruit is soft. Keep refrigerated. Toss gent1y using a wooded spoon. Heat 250ml milk diluted with 3tbsp water to warmness. Pour warm milk over egg mixture. Add the remaining sugar and lime juice. Use as spread for bread and filling for doughnuts. and cut into triangles or squares MANGO FLUFF 3 ripe mangoes 1 sachet gelatin ½ tsp. Juice from pawpaw can also be added. stirring occasionally. Combine all the fruits in a bowl.
Add the mango juice. m. Gradually add the gelatin mixture. Preserve 3 tbsp of chopped mango for topping and mash the remaining by masher or use blender. 7. Sprinkle ½ of the corn flakes into a round or square pans. 4. Place the dishes/cups in a roasting pan and pour enough hot water halfway up the sides of the pans. Peel and chop the mango flesh. Add lemon juice and sugar. Cover and freezer till set. 5. vanilla and lemon. Sour sop juice (undiluted) may be used. Cut the bread into pieces and soak in the milk dissolved in half the (75g) sugar.40 minutes. add the gelatin mixture and beat well. 3. Beat milk until thick. 3. Dissolve gelatin and chill till firm. Mix gently. Pour the mixture over the crumbs and cover the top with the other ½ of the corn flakes crushed into crumbs. 2. Whisk gelatin till fluffy. 5. 6. Chill in the freezer for some 4 hours before serving into cocktail or dessert glasses! cups as a dessert or refreshment. BREAD PUDDING ½ loaf of bread (day old) 570m1 milk (diluted) 3 eggs (beaten) 100g mixed fruits/currants 1 tsp vanilla essence SAUCE Pinch ( ½ tsp ) ground ginger 120g margarine 1 50g sugar 1 egg 4 tbsp lemon juice 1 tsp nutmeg Method 1. When the pudding are cooked. When set. combine100g of margarine. lemon juice. 3. When the bread is softened. ginger and remaining sugar 75g over a boiling water till melted. SPECIAL PUDDING 125grams margarine 1 egg ¼ tsp salt ½ tsp all spice/cinnamon 120 grams sugar 130 grams sifted flour 1 tsp baking powder/soda 100g currants/raising(optional) . 2. 6. Whisk the chilled milk and sugar. 5. 4.66 Method 1. Chill the milk for 3 hours 2. Add the beaten 1 egg and whisk till thick. Grease 8 baking cups (moi moi cups) and fill each with equal amount of the pudding mixture. vanilla. mixed fruits ginger and nutmeg. Scoop gently into desert cups and top with the mango chunks. Beat eggs and add the flavourings. . add the eggs. Dissolve gelatin in 1 Y2 cups (360m1) hot water chill the gelatin until thick. Allow to cool Place sauce on plate and serve the pudding on top. beat gelatin until fluffy. 6. Chill milk for about 3 hours. 4. Bake in a preheated oven for 30. LEMON FLUFF 1 tin evaporated milk 1 package lemon flavored gelatin 2 ½ cups (200g) corn flakes 60m1 lemon juice 100g sugar Method 1. Press the juice through a sieve into a bowl and reserve the juice.
4. flour. Wash peel and chop pawpaw 4. Makes 10 serving. Grease generously two shallow round pans. pudding may be streamed on top of the cooker. 2. baking powder/soda. Add flour ingredients to the creamed margarine mixture and blend well. When set remove from heat and place upside down in dessert bowls to serve. 5. PAW PAW ICE DESSERT 225 grams sugar 600 grams ripe pawpaw 250m1 orange/pineapple juice 1 large lemon juice 50m1 cold water Method 1. and all spices in a separate bowl. Serve into dessert plates and top with ice cream or vanilla sauce. Pour the mixture into the greased pans and bake in pre-heated over for about 30 minutes or until set. Blend in the milk gradually 2. Arrange the filled cups in a around pan and add ½ inch level of water to the baking pans. Bake in 350 of pre-heated oven for 45 minutes 6. 3. diced ¼ watermelon diced A 100g sugar 1 can evaporated milk 2 slices pawpaw. FRUITED ICE MILK 1 firm mango. diced 100g raisins . Spoon the fruit chunks evenly over the batter. In a bowl. Bake pudding over medium heat till it is set (about 20mmutes). Make 6 servings. nutmeg and baking powder Stir in the milk until smooth 3. 6. Spoon into well-greased custard queen cake cups ¾ fullness. 6. Remove syrup from heat and cool. Sieve well Add the raisins. 3. mix flour. 4. 4. Add vanilla. FRUIT COCKTAIL DESSERT 125 grams margarine 130 grams flour 100 grams sugar 180ml diluted milk 100 grams each chopped 2 tsp baking powder Pineapple. sugar. Alternatively. Sieve all into a plastic bowl and place in the freezer for 1-2 hours until mixture is mushy or fairly set.67 Method 1. Remove from freezer and whisk the mixture return to the freezer and freeze till ice is semi-solid Scope into dessert bowls and serve cold. Add the remaining ingredient and mix together. Mix salt. 5. Pour into a bowl and stir in the orange/pineapple and lemon juice 3. 5. salt and baking powder together. Pour into the pan with the melted margarine. Heat the cold water and sugar in a pan till the sugar dissolve 2. Add the sugar. Melt margarine in a square or round cake pan 2. Cream margarine and sugar till fluffy. Mash the pawpaw chunks to smooth paste Add to the orange juice and sugar mixture. egg and milk. COCONUT DELIGHT 100g sugar 70g sifted flour ¾ tsp baking powder 80g shredded coconut/cashew 250m1 diluted milk a pinch of salt ½ tsp vanilla 50g margarine (melted) Method 1. orange and mango ½ tsp nutmeg Method 1. flour.
Cover the bowl and return to freezer and freeze till firm. Pour evaporated milk in a plastic bowl Place in the freezer till ice form around the side of the bowl 2. 4. Serve in cocktail glasses. . Remove from freezer and whisk very well Add the sugar and whisk again 3. Fold the fruits into the whisked milk in the bowl.68 Method 1.
eggs. The only special tools needed are as follows: 1. aesthetic value and quality of cakes. Cake Baking Information 1. The right equipment 2. if frozen. 2. margarine. zigzag ruler/comb etc. cake pans. (marble. aluminum foil wrap. richness. 8. 6. Place the cooled cake in a cake board for the icing. Pastry Brush: Used in brushing off loose crumbs from the caked cake before application of icing. When baked. decorating rule or comb.69 Chapter Eight CAKE ICING Cake icing is a method of using very smooth sugar mixtures to add finishes and decoration to baked cakes. It is available in plastic or foil scaled thick papers. rich cake etc) and obtaining the ingredients specified by the recipe. marking rings and cutters (plastic or metal). Lift the pan off carefully and let the cake cool completely for at least one hour. Scrapers: These are serrated edge triangular metal or plastic tools used for giving patterned surface to the sides and tops of cakes usually coated with royal or butter cream icing. nozzles. wooden spoon. Smoothers: These are smooth surface plastics used for giving smooth finishes to the sides and tops of the cake coated with Fondant or sugar paste icing. The bottom may be lined with wax paper after greasing instead of flouring for easier removal of baked cake. egg beater. Cake Board: Necessary for placing the cake. icing colour kits. Pre-heat the oven to temperature (gas mark 3) specified by recipe. For the decoration: Decorating syringes or tubes (plastic or metal). 7. spatulas or palette knife. electric mixer. Always defrost the cake completely before icing. cake boards. Icing also contributes to the taste of the baked product and prevents loss of moisture. Set aside. Palette Knife: Stainless steel flat knife without shape edges which are used for spreading icing on cake surfaces. 6. 3. 5. Creaming gives better result. 4. . Piping Set: Plastic or metal piping tubes or bags with nozzles to fit used in making various decorative design on the coated cake. To remove cake from the pan. 8. sieve etc. design rollers. The cake may be iced in about one and half hours after baking or it may be frozen up for up to three months in heavily wrapped foil before icing. Place the cake in the pre-heated oven and bake according to temperature specified. It should have soft natural brittles that should leave no marks when brushing. remove cake from oven and let cool in the pan on a cake rack for 10 minutes. Pastry Cloth/Rolling Pin Cloth (2 pieces) Canvas Cloth or smooth polythene which promotes even rolling without sticking when working with sugar paste or fondant icing. 2. The type of ingredients used and mixing technique. Place cake on the middle rack of the oven about and leave for 35-45 minutes until cake is tested with a skewer for doneness. Cream the cake and mix to recipe directions. 3. For cake baking: Cake recipe. Sprinkle about 1 tbsp flour on all the greased surfaces of the pan and shake off excess flour to prevent cake from sticking to the pan after baking. carrot cake. The main purpose of icing cakes is to enhance the beauty. scale and other measuring tools. DECORATING EQUIPMENT AND TOOLS The appropriate tools make it possible to create pleasing and stunning decoration as your skills develop. Nozzles are available in different shapes and sizes. 3. plastic or metal turntable. Skill in application of creative knowledge in designing special decorations. For the icing: Icing sugar. Rolling Pin: Wooden pan with non-absorbed surfaces for rolling out sugar paste and Fondant icings for decoration. cooling racks. Start by deciding on the type of cake desired. Complete mixing of cake ingredients and pour butter into the greased and floured cake pan. mixing bowls and spoon. 3. Success in cake icing depends on three major factors: 1. wooden spoon. Another important benefit of cake icing is that it serves as a means of developing ones creative skills and resourcefulness that brings about special feeling of satisfaction. ingredients. 7. 5. 2. rolling boards and pins. electric mixer. The following are some specialized pieces of cake decorating equipment: 1. place the cooling rack over the top of the pan and urn both pan and cake over. coffee. Different shapes are available according to cake pan sharp. decorating bags. Consider method of mixing. 4. Spread the batter evenly to the sides of the pan.
Icing can be used for piping and more 2tsp milk can be added to stiff icing to thin the icing. Icing/Turntable: Metal or plastic cake stand that revolves ort urns particularly in icing or piping the sides of around cake with royal or buttercream icing. Cream with wooden spoon or electric mixer. BUTTER CREAM ICING 1kg icing sugar (sifted) 2 tsp vanilla essence 75ml tbsp milk (diluted) colouring One 8 inch diameter baked cake Jam or sugar syrup 1 tbsp lemon juice 250g soft butter or margarine/solid shortening Method 1. 3. 7. Add remaining sugar to make icing stiff if necessary. vanilla and half of the milk in a mixing bowl. Stainless Steel Whisks: Long egg whisks with solid handles provide good control and makes whisking easy. SUGAR PASTE ICING 1kg icing sugar (sifted) 3 ½ tbsp liquid glucose (warmed) Colouring Jam or syrup 2-2 ½ medium egg white 2 tbsp glycerin corn flour . Re-beat the icing mixture and spread generously over the cake surface. Measuring Tools: Items for measurement with easy-to-read measurements for both liquid and thy measurements. For icing. Stainless Steel/Sifter: This should be well designed to provide fast and Efficient sifting. 15. The cake with sugar. SUGGESTED ICING RECIPES ROYAL ICING 1kg (2 packs) icing sugar 1 ½ tbsp glycerin 2-3 drops of lemon juice 2 ½ (egg whites) few drops of colouring one 8 inch diameter baked cake Jam or sugar syrup Method 1. 12. Reserve the remaining sugar. 11. Spread the icing as second coating on the cake by following the steps for icing described in this chapter. Sift the icing sugar. Place margarine.70 9. Egg Separator: Plastic or aluminum tool which is efficient in quick separation the white and yolk portions of eggs in preparation of royal and sugar paste icing. spoons. 9. 2. Cover and set aside for about 30 minutes. 7. Remove about 4 tbsp of the icing in another bowl and spread all over the cake surfaces as first coating over the cake. sifted icing sugar. It Is usually expensive but use full for perfect finish. Add the glycerin and lemon juice. jugs and scale. 14. 3. Continue beating till the mixture is stiff but is of spreading consistency. 5. In a mixing bowl. allow coatings to get dried and use stiffer consistency for piping desired decoration on the cake. Separate egg white from the egg. Set aside for it to dry in order to prevent the cake crumbs from appearing when the second coating is applied. glass or stainless steel bowls that are easy to hold and is provide good support. Cutters: These are available in different shapes and sizes. Follow the icing tips presented in this book. These include cups. Gradually add the remaining milk and beat till the mixture is smooth and fluffy in consistency. They are useful in making decoration and flowers using sugar paste fondant icings and mexican or petal paste. 6. Mix Bowls: Plastic. 4. Brush off cake crumbs and position the cake properly on the cake board. 6. 13. Apply sugar syrup or jam all over the surfaces of the cake. 10. Place the cake on a cake board. 4. gradually stir in sifted 900g icing sugar arid egg white. Add more sugar to make icing stiff if necessary. making sure none of the egg yolks get into the white and beat gently to stiffness. Icing can be stored in the refrigerator for 2-3 days or even 3 weeks in air tight container. Use a pastry brush to remove loose crumbs from the cake. 2. using palette knife or spatulas. 8. 5. syrup/jam for cake icing to stick well to the cake. Beat well with a mixer or wooden spoon. Use thin icing made by adding a little ½ tbsp egg white to 5 tbsp icing in a separate bowl and spread lightly all over the surface of the cake.
flower or other designs such as board twists. 10. . Place the mixture over low heat and heat until dissolved. Roll out the icing on a sugar or corn flour dusted board as a flat sheet. 2. 8. Leave paste in air tight container of room temperature for about & 12 hours before using. lift the flat icing sheet with spatulas and cover the syrup or jam coated cake. Attaching ornaments and sugar beads if desired. 2. Mix icing sugar and gum together. Place the ball of icing on the floured board smooth of surface and knead continually mixture is soft and pliable. 6. Continue to knead until the ‘fondant is smooth. Beat the egg white and glycerin in a bowl till frothy. Gently. For decorative rolling. 9. Let mixture stand and cool to lukewarm. glycerin and cold water in saucepan and stir well until thick. 4. ROLLED FONDANT ICING 1kg sifted icing sugar ½ sachet gelatin 30m1 cold water (2 tbsp) 60g liquid glucose (4 tbsp) I egg white 2tsp gum tragacanth 1 ½ tbsp shortening 200g cornstarch (for rolling) drop of food colouring as desired jam or sugar syrup. using a wooden spoon until mixture is fully mixed up. 4. Gently lift the fondant over the rolling pin and place over the jam coated cake. 8. Press and smoothen icing against all surfaces of the cake with palette knife or smoother. bring out from freezer. 6. Coat cake surfaces with j am or syrup. As you roll. Decorate with piping softer icing or cut out flowers and designs. Note: Alternatively. If fondant is too stiff. Pour the lukewarm gelatin mixture and gum into well of icing sugar and stir well with a wooden spoon. and water (a drop at a time) and if it is too soft. 11. using cake smoother. then place the paste in a plastic bag. remove the mixture from heat and add drops of flavour or colouring if desired. pliable and no longer sticks to the hands. 12. Add the beaten egg white. allow it to defrost and knead again until soft and pliable. leaves. Attentively. Roll out the fondant in enough portions. Smooth and shape the fondant on the cake. Stir in the shortening and while shortening is not completed melting. 3. knead the sugar mixture or fondant. into a circle or square that fit the size of the diameter of the cake and double the height of the cake at once. MEXICAN (PETAL) PASTE 1 kg king sugar (sifted) 1 ½ tsp gum tragacanth 4 tbsp liquid glucose 2 eggs whites! 8Oml water Cornstarch for rolling Method 1. use same method of preparation to apply petal taste icing using these ingredients. Knead well. liquid glucose. Trim excess from the base. use a textured rolling pin to roll over the coated cake to give the design on the pin. Mix in more sugar. Use cutters to make plaits. a little at a time until the icing sugar are added. Combine gelatin. Always use fondant icing immediately or store in airtight containers in the refrigerator/freeze for several days before using. 3. Sprinkle extra sugar or corn flour on a rolling board and gather the mixture into a ball. lift the fondant and dust more corn starch powder to the fondant to prevent it ‘from sticking to board surface. Add the sugar and blend them very well. 7. add more icing sugar. Now place half of the sifted icing sugar in a bowl and make a well. using a rolling pin on a clean board. 7. Dusting corn starch powder or icing sugar on a flat surface.71 Method 1. When ready to use. 3. Gather the sugar and gelatin mixture into a firm ball. 5. 2. 5. Keep fondant covered with a damp cloth to prevent a hard surface from forming. use a pastry cloth to roll out icing for smooth finish. . Method 1. add the liquid glucose and water.
3. Flavouring may be added to the icing if necessary 10. After trimming off invert the cake on a board and use a pastry brush to remove all the loose crumbs. 3. Ensure that all necessary tools and equipment arc well assembled in order of use before icing is applie4i 11. 4. Decide on type of decoration to be done on the cake as well. 5. Filling the decorating bag/syringe or tube: Use a palette knife/spoon to fill the bag or tube from the pushing end after coupling the desired decorating tip/nozzle. Choose desired or appropriate type of icing. For royal icing and butter cam icing. A turntable or a turning cake stand makes it easier particularly for round cakes. Use good quality ingredients and avoid icing sugar that is already caked or solidified. it is important to have an idea of the cake design and the details you desire. Before making decorations. hold the decorating bag or tube at a slanting angle to the surface but not touching the cake. Always use small amount of colour since food colours intensify and get sharper when mixed and with time. CAKE ICING PROCEDURE Icing is best on a cake when the cake has smooth texture and level surfaces. guide the decorating tip with the other hand. Freshly baked cakes tend to crumble and flake off their crumbs. The basics of piping on iced cake include the following: 1. pushing the icing towards the opening or nozzle. DECORATION TECHNIQUES Decorations are essential in making the cake attractive and unique. (b) Spread across the whole top surface. Colour is what gives icing beauty and personality so that the cake boarders. Cakes baked the previous day are more easily decorated. Chilling the cake before it is iced also makes icing easier. Be sure not add much paste or liquid colour but always ensure to mix the colour thoroughly in the icing before adding more. 2. flowers and shell designs require stiff icing consistency. Give a smooth finish. leaves. You can use any cake design book or make your own sketches of the type if arrangement that is needed. In the 900 angle. In the 45° position. It involves the use of piping set (decorating bag or syringe). spread thin icing first on all the surfaces of the syrup-coated cake with a palette knife. chilling the cake first is recommended. Making ones special design promotes creativity and originality. Coat the surfaces of the cake with apricot jam or sugar syrup. 9. follow these guidelines. stars. 4. To achieve good decoration. Piping is very popular way of decorating. To make this easier. . 1. 5. As a basic rule. Use toothpick to add paste colour while liquid colouring in added is drops.72 GENERAL RULES FOR ICING 1. Use a mixer to combine the ingredients. flowers and stars stand out in the cake. when planning for the cake. For fondant icing. Boarders of cake need medium of consistency for ease in squeezing out the icing. 6. When mixing. trim off the crown or raised portions of the cake. (c) Pushing the excesses to the sides. sugar paste etc. Allow first coat to dry (about 30 minutes or more). 2. Fill the bag or tube half full of icing. 3. Consistency: This is a very important aspect in determining the shape of the piping that should look right and attractive. hold the tube or bag with nozzle pointing down and held perpendicular to the cake surface. 7. Apply a little pressure to the palette knife and smoothen the top last. 2. (d) Ice evenly all over the top and all the sides till all surfaces are iced. This can be done after the cake is completely cool. Away practice the decoration on another surface before applying directly to icing coated cake. apply pressure with the other hand that follows next. check the recipe for rolled fondant icing. Sieve the icing sugar before use for smoothness. ensuring that the palette knife does not get too close to the cake so that the icing does not catch the crumbs. Using a bread knife. Start by leveling the surface to ensure that the top is even and not peaked. Positioning of the bag/syringe to pipe: there are two basic ways of positioning the decoration tube-the 90 angle and the 45 angle. Use clean and dry equipment. 8. Start icing from the top of the cake by: (a) Placing a large amount of icing on the centre of the top (for royal and butter cream icing). a few drops of blue colour or lemon juice can be used to whiten the icing. Always use enough of any colour because it is difficult to obtain the same icing colour later. With one hand.
using butter cream icing. Check diagram in the book on directions. the bigger the opening. 2. pulling tip away to form the shell’s tail. Ornaments. making dots. Zigzag: To make zigzag. hold the tube with one hand at 45° angle (slanting) with nozzle above cake surface. Push in the handle of the tube in order to squeeze out the icing through the nozzles on the cake surface. Shell: To make shell. hold the star nozzle at45° angle with tip of nozzle slightly touching the iced cake surface. 1. hold the tube of 900 angle with the surface of the cake. Stars: In order to make stars.73 4. rope boarders and puffs. Ribbon/Rose nozzle has a tear shaped opening and is used to make ribbons. Follow these guidelines in making cut-out patterns decoration. use the leaf nozzle and hold the tube a t 4 5 ° angle and follow the same procedure as for making shells. use the plain round nozzle used for dots to write. zigzag and rosettes or drop flowers. shells. c. To make the above mentioned techniques follows these tips: 1. vertical lines and vary lines by moving the nozzle in straight lines. use special metal or plastic cutters. For a row of shells. Softer fondant or butter cream icing is used to attach the flower or other designs to the iced cake. the larger he decoration. Apply a little pressure to press out the icing and pull the tip away and the star is formed. You may also write straight unto he cake surface. Use this nozzle to print horizontal lines. The most common types are as follows: 1. beads and balls. Using cutters for roses. Apply pressure to squeeze the icing as the hand is moved in a side to side motion which forms the zigzags. stems of flowers. 5. With the other hand. The shapes are usually cut out and left to dry before being pasted on the iced cake. This nozzle is used for writing messages. letter and numbers. 5. Butter cream or royal icing can be also be used in combination with rolled fondant in decorating the cake. Twist the end of the bag closed. Star nozzle with star-shaped opening is used for making stars. hold the plain round tip at 900 angle with the tip slightly touching the surface of the iced caked. They are identified according to the shape of the openings on the nozzles or sizes in an icing set. . lift the tip of the nozzle slightly to let icing build up the fan into a full base. Making Decoration with Cutters To make decorations with rolled fondant or sugar paste icing. Press out the icing with enough pressure to build the bead of ball as for stars. 3. Pull tip way. Such twists can be used as boarders. Round nozzle has plain round opening and comes in various sizes. attach the cut outs to their position on the cake. 2. When dry. beads and outline of shapes. lines. To do this hold the decorating tube at 45° angle and push out icing and the letters are formed. As the decorating tube is filled with icing and held in position (900 or 45°angle) on the cake surface: a. 6. 2. Shell nozzle has serrated curved opening which is used for making shells. ribbons and live lowers may also be added as decoration. Leaf: To make a leaf. DECORATION NOZZLE TYPES There are many popular tips or nozzle of various sizes used for a variety of decorating techniques. Dots/balls: To make dots. and heavy pressure. Leaf nozzle had side slits and a deep v-opening which is used for making plain and ruffled leaf. 4. 5. cut many shapes and place them on a floured surface for them to dry. or b. 4. You may first form the letter/words using toothpick or cut-out to mark the positions of the letters or word on the cake surface. 3. Prepare rolled fondant icing and roll out on the flat surface. start another shell on the tail of the previous one. 3. flowers like small rose and basket weave. Apply pressure and control in piping: The type and size of decoration that is piped depends on the size of opening in the decoration nozzle and the amount of pressure applied. Writing: To print or write words. Control and stop applying pressure when the decoration is created. Relax and stop the pressure. 4. Ropes can be made by hand twisting long strips of hand rolled icing of two or three different colours. stars or other shapes. bows.
Patricia (1984) Family Cookbook. Hong Kong: Ohenheimer Publishers. Illinois-U.. Octopus Books (1976) A-z of Cooking London Evans Brothers Ltd. Ferguson. Stanley Thomas Publishing Ltd. Oxford. Wisconsin. Warn.COEWA Publishers. E. G. V. (1985) The Students Cookery Book. . and Kinton R. (1990) Creative Cake Decorating Made Easy Heart Fortishire. Oxford University Press.0 (2002) Food Preparation and Service.England The Broadwater Press Ltd.S. Stephenson. (1 994) The Complete Cook London. O’ Reilly. Tiger Books International. Mc Cormick &conpany (1991) Mc Cormick Cook Book. Henson.merehurst. Wilton Enterprises (1987) Cake Decorating. Culpitt.com Ochonogor. (1990) Practical Cookery. Wiltonn Enterprises.T.A.74 REFERENCES Ceserain. Ideals Publishing Corporation. (1981) Basic Cookery. E. Merehurst (2000) Beginners Guide to Cake Decorating: www.The Process Approach. .A Beginner’s Guide. England. Ilodder and Stonghton Education Ltd. J. Kemt.Wright.
This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?