This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
meal. Soups are tasty and nutritious. They can be served alone or accompanied by croutons, buttered toasts, dinner rolls or plain bread triangles and crackers. There are different types of soups: a) Clear soups made from thin stocks. b) Creamed soups-made from basic stocks and thickened with milk, flour or starch, with other ingredients added. c) Pureed soups-thickened by puree of ingredients, usually by first boiling them, then blending them and filtering the mixture to gain the thickened mixture. In preparing soups, follow these suggestions; 1. Use acceptable stock from meats or fish. Dehydrate stocks such as chicken seasoning cubes, maggi cubes and dadawa cubes can be used as alternatives. One maggi or chicken seasoning cube added to 250m1 of water equals 250rnl of beef or chicken stock. 2. All food items such as meats and vegetables added must be in bite sizes. 3. Excessive heat can cause cream soups to curdle, therefore use moderate heat. 4. Avoid excessive use of spices and seasoning. Sauces are forms of liquid or semi-liquid soup preparations that are served with another food item. They are used to assist in presenting the food item and to complete the use of that food. Unlike soups, sauces cannot be served alone. Sauces can be used a) As background for food items e.g. tomato sauce, b) As a binding agent to hold foods together (e.g mayonnaise) c) As a topping on another food (e.g. custard sauce for cake and puddings and ketchup for meats). Sauces need: a) Stock, as the basic ingredient; b) Seasonings to provide the major taste c) Colour agent which must come from the stock and d) The thickening agent which may be eggs, flour or starch egg yolks provide good colour as well. In preparation of sauces, the fat is first melted, the flour is stirred into it, then the stock is poured into it and the mixture is cooked (simmered) In some gravies and sauces ,the starch or flour is first mixed with cold water before putting the fat and other ingredients. It is important not to overcook the flour fat mixture, but allow enough time for even distribution. MINCED BEEF SOUP 300 grams minced beef 1 litre of water 2 medium of tomatoes (chopped) 2 stalks celery (sliced) 1 tsp pepper (ground) ½ tsp thyme 3 carrots (diced) ¼ of small head cabbage (cutup) 2 large potatoes (diced) 1 medium onion (sliced) salt to taste 1 seasoning cube
Method 1. Clean and prepare all the vegetables as indicated. 2. Put the minced beef in a sauce pan and cook for about 10 minutes. Add water and salt to taste. 3. Boil for 5 more minutes. 4. Add the remaining ingredients except tomatoes and cook for another 15 minutes. 5. Add the tomatoes and simmer slowly for 10 minutes more. 6. Serve hot with crackers or toasted bread as appetizers. Serves 10. Note: Flake fish (cooked) can be used in place of minced beef and other flavorings can be added.
2 FRENCH ONION SOUP (APPETIZER) 60g margarine ¼ tsp curry 40g onions, peeled and thinly sliced ½ tsp thyme (3-4 medium Onions) Salt and white pepper to taste 3 tbsp flour ½ tsp sugar (optional) 1 liter beef stock 2 slices of bread (for toasting) Method 1. Melt the margarine in a large saucepan over a moderate heat. 2. Stir in the onions and add the sugar. Cook uncovered, stirring constantly till the onions are light brown. 3. Sprinkle flour over the onions and cook for 2-3 minutes. 4. Pour on the stock and stir to blend the flour. 5. Add the remaining ingredients and cook over low heat. Simmer the sauce with pot covered for about 1015 minutes. 6. Cut the bread slices into cubes and toast in preheated oven or grill to make croutons. 7. Spoon the soup into soup bowls and top with the toasted bread serve hot. FRESH PRAWN SOUP (APPETIZER) 45g/3tbsp margarine 1 onion, finely chopped 1 sweet red pepper (seeded and chopped) 2 sticks celery-finely chopped 1 seasoning cube 2 garlic clove, grated Salt and pepper to taste 1.5 litre fish stock ½ tsp thyme ½ tsp crushed bay leaf 225g raw peeled prawns and boiled 3 tbsp flour 2 spring onions chopped
Method 1. Melt the margarine and add the onion, pepper, celery, green onion and garlic. Cook gently to soften. 2. Stir in the flour and cook over gentle heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. 3. Pour in the stock gradually, stirring well. 4. Add the thyme, bay leaf and any other remaining ingredient. Add the prawns and cook for about 2 minutes. 5. Reduce heat and allow to simmer for about 5 minutes until thickened. Remove from heat and remove the bay leaf. 6. Top with chopped green onions before serving in soup bowls. Serve with buttered toasts. PRAWN/SHRIMPS COCKTAIL 1 cup (400g) cooked prawns / shrimps 3 stalks celery, diced 4-5 tbsp mayonnaise ¼ tsp salt lettuce leaves ½ chopped green pepper 2tbsp ketchup 1 tbsp lemon juice
METHOD 1. Put the cooked prawns on a board and cut in to pieces. Place the prawn chunks in a mixing bowl, add the mayonnaise, celery, green pepper, salt and lemon juice. Mix with a fork. 2. Toss together and serve salad on lettuce leaves placed in cocktail glasses or salad bowls. Drop ketchup over top to garnish the salad. Chill before serving as appetizer LIVER/KIDNEY SOUP 250g kidney 200g liver 1 bay leaf 2 tbsp margarine
3 2 large potatoes 1 litre of water 1 large onion 1 chicken seasoning cube 3 medium carrots salt and pepper to taste. Method 1. Prepare the first five ingredients by cleaning, washing and cutting them into cubes or dices. 2. Place them in a baking dish, then add salt, pepper and remaining ingredients. Cover the dish. 3. Place in the oven and bake for about 1 hour until the ingredients are tender. 4. Remove bay leaf and serve hot. Boiling method may be used. Makes 5-6 servings STEAK SOUP 400 grams steak, cooked and cut 1 small onion, finely chopped 2 tsp. parsley leaves, finely chopped ½ tsp. thyme 200g peas 1 Chicken seasoning cube ¼ tbsp margarine
½ teaps. nutmeg 1 litre boiling water 2 tbsp flour 2sliced celery stalks Pepper and salt taste 1 bay leaf
Method 1. Placed steak chunks in a large pot with onion, herbs and seasonings. 2. Pour water or stock over them and add cook for 15 minutes. 3. Melt margarine in a saucepan and add flour and a little liquid from meat to the fat and stir until smooth. 4. Add the flour-fat mixture to the soup, stirring constantly until slightly thickened. Stir in the peas. Simmer for 5minutes. 5. Serve into soup plates and garnish with tomato slices. Serves as appetizer for 4-6 guests. STEAK/CHICKEN SOUP 250g cooked beef/chicken (deboned) 4 potatoes 2 carrots ½ tsp curry 1 bay leaf 500m1 water/stock 1 litre margarine/oil salt and pepper to taste 1 medium onion 1 seasoning cube
Method 1. Cut the beef/chicken into 72-inch cubes or cutlets 2. Cut the onions, carrots and potatoes into ½ inch cubes. 3. Place all the ingredients in a saucepan and add the water. 4. Season the entire mixtures with the salt and pepper. 5. Cook mixture for about 30-40minutes till meat and vegetables are tender. 6. Remove the bay leaf and stir gently to thicken the sauce. Serve hot as appetizer. BROWN ONION SOUP I large onion (sliced) 1 ½ tbsp. flour 2 tbsp margarine 1 litre of beef stock 500g cooked beef cubes
1 tsp. fresh garlic (minced) pinch of curry salt and white pepper to taste 1 seasoning cube
Method 1. Melt half of the fat over low heat and fry onion slices until light brown. Remove onion and set aside. 2. Melt the remaining margarine and add the flour.
MIXED VEGETABLE SOUP (APPETIZER) 1 large onion.6 servings. and allow soup to simmer for 10 minutes. pepper. Stir in onion and the flour. Simmer for 5 minutes and serve hot with toasted bread triangles. chopped onion 1 litre chicken stock salt and pepper to taste. 2. Garnish with chopped parsley or cucumber dices. Gradually add beef stock. and stir in the thyme and curry. 3. 2 tables. CREAM OF TOMATO SOUP 1 table spoon dry milk 1 tbsp salt 1 can tomato juice ½ tsp pepper 1 ½ tbsp margarine 1 tsp soy sauce 1 ½ tbsp flour 500m1 beef stock ½ seasoning cube. chopped 2 lives beef stock 2 fresh tomatoes. 2. Make .in 1 inch cubes 4 carrots. pepper . Add the cooked chicken and stock gradually while stirring. cooked and deboned 750 fish stock 1 large onion.in 1 inch cubes 1 bay leaf. 3.4 3. Remove from heat and serve into soup bowls accompanied with buttered toasts. salt .in 1 inch cubes 1 tbsp chopped parsley or celery 2 tbsp margarine or vegetable oil 4 potatoes. 4. Makes 5. salt. Serves 6-8. Cook and stir the mixture until thick and well blended. carrots and bay leaf. 2. CHICKEN SOUP 2 tbsp margarine 500g cooked chicken in strips or chunks. Method 1. Add the salt. Stir in the fried onion slices. Stir frequently. Stir in the cooked peas 4. pinch thyme and curry Method 1. Add the fish and the remaining ingredients. Melt the margarine or heat vegetable oil. Serve hot with buttered yeast rolls or bread slices. Add the beef cubes. tomato juice. Stir together milk and flour. 3. Put flour and margarine in a saucepan and mix together. chopped 1 bay leaf 1 tsp chopped garlic grated cheese 1 stalk celery (chopped) salt to taste . Add the potatoes. 4.6 servings. pepper soy sauce and seasoning cube. Cook for 10 minutes and serve hot with toasted bread as appetizer. Separate the deboned fish into chunks of about 1 inch sizes. 1 tbsp flour. Stir gently and cook for another 3 minutes. Stir in the fish stock and cover pot to allow potatoes be cooked about 10 minutes. 4. Cook over medium heat. garlic and any other seasoning. CREAMY FISH SOUP 1 medium scale fish. Salt and pepper 1 50m1 milk (diluted) 100g cooked peas Method 1. 5. fat and stock in a saucepan.
5 250g kidney beans 250g peas/green beans 3 tsp white pepper 2 cups cabbage (chopped) Method 1. Chill before serving. 2. Combine all ingredients in a saucepan. 4. stirring occasionally. 3. pepper. Mix together the olive oil. Melt margarine and blend in flour. Add the prawns and cook for about 2 minutes. CURRY SAUCE 500mI chicken or beef stock 2 tsp dried onion flakes 2 tbsp curry powder 1 ½ tsp margarine 200g peas (optional) 2 tsp grated ginger 2 tsp flour/corn flour salt to taste 1 chicken seasoning cube Method 1. PARSLEY TOMATOES APPETIZER 5 medium tomatoes 3 tbsp olive oil 1 cucumber 3tbsp red wine vinegar 1 tbsp minced parsley ¼ tsp salt Method 1. 2. vinegar and salt 3. Cook gently to soften. Place cucumber slices in a flat dish and arrange the tomato segment in between the cucumber arrangement. celery. Remove bay leaf. Stir in the flour and cook over gently heat for 2-3 minutes. Simmer for 2 minutes. Melt the margarine and add the onion. Reduce heat and allow to simmer for about 15 minutes until thickened. Serve as sauce for shrimps and fish fingers or fish balls. 2. stirring constantly until thickened. Sprinkle with the minced parsley and the olive oil mixture over the vegetables. bay leaf and any other remaining ingredients. Add milk and seasonings. Serve with braised beef. red wine. 3. Simmer. 2. stirring well. mixing well. 6. WHITE SAUCE (MILK GRAVY) 1 tbsp margarine 250m1 diluted milk 1 ¼ tbsp flour salt and white pepper to taste ½ tsp lemon juice/vinegar Method 1. Top with the chopped green onions or cucumber as garnishing before serving in soup bowls. Wash and cut the ripe firm tomatoes in to 4 segments in each. Add the thyme. 5. Slice cucumber thinly. bringing up to a boil and stirring constantly for 3 minutes until thickened. green onion and garlic. chicken or over plain boiled rice. Pour in the stock gradually. YELLOW SAUCE 1 tbsp flour 4 tbsp melted margarine 1 tsp salt ½ tsp pepper 150m1 milk 2 eggs (beaten) 1 seasoning cube .
Add the mustard. yam or potatoes. Add the puree tomato sauce and salt. Cook for 20 minutes. Simmer for 10 minutes and serve hot over boiled rice. 3. chilli pepper and seasonings. dice onion. Serve on fried fish or roasted chicken. 4. white pepper and salt. 2. Mix flour and melted margarine. Melt fat. Clean vegetables. onion and stock. add potatoes. Stir in the vinegar and cook for about 2 minutes.2 litres chicken stock ½ tsp nutmeg 1 stalk celery or parsley ½ tsp curry 1 fresh chili pepper 1seasoning cube 1 tbsp milk Method 1. 2. 2. celery. Serve over vegetable salads. Add the cleaned shell fish (shrimps. 4. cover again and cook for about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and cool. Simmer for 5 minute 5. SEA FOOD SOUP 300g large shrimps 300g oysters 300g clams 1 or 2 medium fresh pepper (chopped) 1 cooked fish (flaked) 1 can mushroom (sliced) 3 large tomato (cubed) 300g crab meat ½ tsp curry 1 medium onion ½ tsp thyme 1 tsp white pepper 1 can tomatoes puree/sauce 500m1 water 2 tbsp vegetable oil Method 1. pepper and diced tomatoes. 2. 6. 5. crab). Place in a bowl and add onion. potatoes and chili pepper. stirring constantly until smooth. 4. Add seasonings until smooth. clams. 3. stirring constantly. mushrooms. Additional water can be added if needed. Chop the celery and slice the white part of leeks. Gradually and the rest of melted fat. Add the fish mixture. . Add the leeks. Cover pan and cook for 6 minutes till potatoes are cooked. Stir well. Add milk and bring to boil. 1-Teat the vegetable oil in a saucepan and pour in the water. Gradually add egg mixture to flour mixture over low heat while stirring. 3. Mix flour and half of the fat in a saucepan. Clean and cut fish into bit size. Serve 6-8 persons LEEKAND POTATO SOUP 30g margarine 2 large potatoes 4 medium sized leeks salt to taste 1 onion pepper to taste 1.6 Method 1. Beat eggs and milk. COOKED SALAD CREAM 1 tsp dry mustard l50ml milk 3 tsp sugar 4 tbsp white vinegar pinch black/white pepper 3 tbsp melted margarine 1 tsp salt 1 tbsp flour 1 or 2 eggs Method 1. thyme and curry. oysters. 3 Stir in beaten eggs.
onion. Stir in the tomato paste. rice or macaroni. Thicken the soup with the flour mixture and cook till onion. apon (agbono). 6. vitamins and minerals. Simmer for 3 minutes to improve taste. discard the bones and return to the stock. and pumpkin leaves are generously used in either fresh or dry forms. soyabean and melon-oil are the popular types of fats used in the preparation of the soups and sauces. Serve hot with crackers as an appetizer. celery and spices. Most of the soups and sauces don’t need garnishing because of their colourful natures. 3. NIGERIAN SOUP AND SAUCES Nigeria soups. spinach. 4. seasoning cube and add pepper to taste. Cut the fleshly parts into small slices. 2. groundnuts. Wash and cook the chicken with the water to cover it in the pot for about 20 minutes. Palm-oil. 7.7 4. waterleaf. SPAGHETTI SAUCE 400 ground beef 2 tbsp vegetable oil 1 small onion 2 fresh garlic grated ½ large grated ginger 2 large fresh tomatoes (cubed) 1 tbsp flour 300ml water 1 tsp sugar 1 tbsp vinegar 1 green pepper (chopped) 1 can tomato paste pepper and salt to taste 1 seasoning cube Method 1. Thin soups such as pepper soups can be served alone as appetizers. Various types of local spices and condiments re usually added to soups to enhance flavour. Remove from heat and stir in milk before serving as appetizer. Serve 6-8. they are highly valued aspects of meals. green pepper and chopped fresh tomatoes. cotton as well as yam. cocoyam. Gradually add water and vinegar to the flour mixture and stir into the ground beef mixture. 5. 4. Add diced onion. Also. The list includes assorted edible seeds such as melon. Stir in the corn and eggs. various optional ingredients are use a to thicken the soup. 7. the . Although they do not make complete meals. Make a batter with some of the broth. Simmer for 5 minutes. 5. corn and celery are cooked. 8. turning the soup gently. salt and flour. Put minced beef. 9. Serve hot over plain boiled spaghetti. Mix together flour and vegetable oil and set aside. to thicken and to stabilize the soup products. plantain. CHICKEN CORN SOUP ¼ chicken cut-up 1 1/2 litre water 1 large onion 2 diced hard cooked eggs 1 cob fresh corn/1 can processed corn 1 celery stalk ¼ tsp curry ¼ tsp ½ tsp grated garlic and ginger 1 tbsp flour ½ tsp white pepper salt to taste Method 1. 2. remove the bones or debone the chicken Cuts. Vegetables like bitter leaf. garlic and ginger in a saucepan. 6. Season with salt. Most soups and sauces are normally composed of assorted variety of ingredients that are rich in proteins. stews and sauces are similar to continental types. 3. cornstarch and cassava starch pastes. groundnut-oil. They may be light or thickened. When cooked. They are usually used a accompaniments or toppings to carbohydrate food forms. Apply heat and cook until beef is cooked (about 10 minutes).
5. fish and vegetables used. The recipes presented are simple enough for anyone to prepare.8 abundance of meats. Continue to cook. Grind melon seeds and spices to a smooth paste. 4. pepper and locust bean. Dissolve this mixture with a little liquid from meat stock and stir into the soup. Add pepper. 7. Wash and cut the meat into bit-sized chunks. WATER LEAF SOUP 600g beef (cut-up and cooked) 300m1 palm oil 1 ½ tsp ground pepper 4 fresh tomatoes (ground) 1 medium onion. 6. Examples are ready to use pepper soup. Prepare stockfish and smoked fish and boil till tender. BITTER LEAF SOUP 450g lean beef. Season with salt to taste. cooked I small stock fish 300g smoked fish 250g washed bitter leaf 1 wrap locust bean 4 tbsp ground crayfish 250m palm oil salt and pepper to taste 2 pieces cooked cocoyam/yam 500ml water/stock 1 seasoning tube Method 1. Now add the crayfish. Simmer for about 5 minutes. 8. 6. Pound the thickener (cocoyam/yam) into 2 balls. seasoning cube. Now place the melon seeds in a dry frying pan. Put in a pot with half of the water and ½ tsp salt and cook till tooth-done. Remove from heat and serve hot with pounded yam balls. lime leaf and lemon may be left out to make thin soup while other local spices may be included if desired. 2. melon and apon soup preparations. The soup becomes thicker. Stir well and allow the soup to simmer for about 10 minutes more. Add the beef stock. Mix well. 2. Stir in the bitter leaf and leave to simmer for 5 minutes for tastes to blend. They are available on supermarket shelves. 3. 5. Place over heat and toast the melon seeds until they are lightly browned. 3. washed and lemon grass leaves and lime leaf. Note: Goat meat offals or cut-up hen can be used in place of beef offals. Some of the soups and sauces are available in convenience forms. BEEF OFFAL (PEPPER SOUP) 1 medium sized beef/kidney 1 small lime leaf (fresh) 250 tongue/ heart 4 lemon grass leaf 3 tbsp melon seeds (optional) salt to taste 300g cleaned tripe (shaki) 1 seasoning cube 250g liver 1 ½ litre water 1 tsp ground dried pepper Pinch tsp potash (optional) 2 seeds African nutmeg (crushed) 1 pod of enge or uda (seeds removed and crushed) Method 1. Serve hot in soup bowls as appetizer. palm oil and cooked beef. 4. ground salt to taste 1 tsp ground locust bean ½ sachet seasoning mix . Combine the remaining water. salt and potash. Lemon grass. Cover and leaves to boil for 5 minutes. add to the boiling mixture and cover pot.
pepper and half of the onion.Serve hot in large soup bowls to be eaten with pounded yam or garri balls. 2. pepper and salt to the soup and simmer gently until cooked. unti1 taste is well blended. cleaned 2 tbsp ground crayfish Method 1.Combine cooked beef lumps. Stir well into the oil and meat: Add 1 cup of water and stir in the melon. BEEF/FRESH FISH TOMATO SAUCE (STEW) 400g Cooked beef ½ tsp thyme 1 (8z) tin tomato Paste 1 tsp curry 4 large tomatoes 1 beef seasoning cube 3 large flesh peppers 200ml beef broth/water 1 large Onion salt to taste. 5. Stir-inn beef and fry together for about 5 minutes.Wash and grate okro. . 2. bee broth or water in a pot and heat at simmering temperature. Add the sliced onion pieces and fry till lightly brown. yam or plain boiled beans. Stir in the fish and continue cooking. chop onion. Pour vegetable oil in a sauce pot and beat the oil to slight smoking level. Mix well. .Stir in the tomato and pepper. Remove from heat and serve over hot boiled rice.Clean and remove bones from dry fish and add to the boiling meat and liquid.9 4 cups picked water leaf ½ cup ground melon 250m1 cup water dry fish. Simmer for 10 minutes stirring occasionally. 4. Stir well and add the beef broth salt and other seasoning.In another sauce pan. Add all the ground ingredients except the melon. BEEF AND FISH OKRO SOUP 250 Cooked beef. 7. 6. Wash and blend the tomatoes.fish mixture. Boiled chicken in place of beef. 4. stirring occasionally to prevent burning. Cook uncovered over low heat for 2 minutes or till the soup is heated through. Stir in the ground ingredients and allow the sauce to cook for about 5 minutes. Heat palm oil and fry the beef cutlets lightly. sprinkle with salt and mix gently but thoroughly. 4. Serve with pounded yam or amala balls. 3. 2. 300m1 vegetable oil Method 1. 6. Wash the water leaf very well and chop into small bits. 8. heat the oil to when it starts smoking and fry onion and grated okro in the oil for 5 minutes. 3. 3. Add seasoning. Serves 6. Cover pot and cook for 2 minutes 7.Add remaining ingredients except salt and vegetable.place vegetable at the top of the soup. Cook gently under low heat. cut up ½ medium dried-fish 20 medium-sized fresh okro pods 2 large fresh pepper 1 ½ large fresh tomatoes (optional) 1 Seasoning cube 4 tbsp ground crayfish 250 palm oil 1 small onion 40ml of beef/broth water small bunch of pumpkin leaf Method 1. pepper and tomato and set aside. Add the paste and keep cooking the sauce at medium heat till it is almost dehydrated and starts forming small lumps. Fry for two minutes and pour okro mixture into the boiling meat. 8. 5.
wash place in a pot. In another 200m1 of water in a separate pot. stirring once. shrimps or periwinkle (optional) Method 1. 4. without overcooking. Fry the chopped onion. Blend the pepper and tomatoes. 2. 2. 6. ground pepper and tomato mixture stirring well to prevent burning. season with salt and cook in 200ml water until cooked. 6. . Stir in all the chopped vegetables one after the other and cover the pot to steam for 3-5 minutes.Wash okro fruits thoroughly and grate coarsely.Prepare the dry fish.Remove from heat and serve with hot Amala. cleaned and boneless dry fish. washed prawns. Wash and chop the vegetables and onion set aside. heat slightly to almost smoking point. Cut up older chicken into serving sizes.10 Note: To improve the drawing consistency.Stir in the grated okro and keep the soup boiling uncovered. Steam for about 5minutes. Add beef broth (100ml) and cover to simmer. eliminate the use of fresh tomato. periwinkles cooked beef. MIXED VEGETABLE SOUP 200g cooked beef and broth 1 medium dry fish 1 bunch of pumpkin leaf 1 bunch spinach greens 2 bunches water leaf 1 medium onion 6 fresh scent pepper 1 seasoning cube ½ litre palm oil ground dry crayfish salt to taste periwinkles (optional) dry shrimps/prawns 4 medium fresh tomato Method 1. Season with salt. 5. Place palm oil in a sauce pot. Add the shrimps.Wash the leafy vegetables thoroughly and slice/chop finely . Serve hot with pounded Yam. 7. Crush in the seasoning cube. Remove from heat without over cooling vegetables. Method 1. 4. HERB OKRO SOUP 20 medium okro fruit (fresh) 4-6 tbsp palm oil 2 tsp ground pepper 4 tbsp ground crayfish 1 medium dry fish 1 bunch pumpkin leaf 1 bunch black pepper leaf (Fresh Ozizza) 1 seasoning cube 200g cooked beef litre beef stock salt to taste dry prawns. dissolve the ground melon and pepper. FISH/CHICKEN PLAIN MELON SOUP WITH OKRO ½ cut-up older chicken (hen) 10 large dry prawns (ekpa) Medium dry fish 1 seasoning cube 1 ½ cup of melon seeds (ground) pinch of potash ½ wrap fermented melon (ogiri) (opt) salt to taste 2 tbsp ground crayfish 5 medium okro pods (optional) chopped. 3. pounded yam or cassava meal. Add the cooked chicken. Semovita. 5. grounded pepper and salt and stir briefly. 2. Fufu orAmala balls. 3.Add the seasoning cube. Stir in the chopped vegetables and cook for about 2-3 minutes. cleaned fish and fermented melon and the seasoning cube. Add the chicken broth and bring to full boiling. 3. Set aside.Add the palm oil and apply heat to cook for 5 minutes. prawns and cooked beef and place in a sauce pot with the beef stock. 4.
Do the top of the sauce with palm oil. 3. Spinach greens may be used in place of okro. except bread in a bowl. Pour palm oil into sauce pot and heat till it begins to smoke. Mix well with pestle till oil is mixed in the sauce. The thin soup without okro is good for dieters and adequate for convalescents. Cook till the melon-tomato mixture sets and forms small lumps or curdles.Put pepper and crayfish into a wooden mortar. BREAD AND SHRIMPS APPETIZER 250g cooked shrimps 2-3 tbsp mayonnaise ½ cucumber 6-8 slices whole wheat/plain bread 2 tsp chopped colon Method 1. 6. 6.11 5. Serve warm as soup with pounded yam baits. Garnish with tomato wedges and serve as appetizers. Stir in the tomato mixture and steam till almost the dehydrate. Season with salt to taste. 5. Serve over the boiled yam or unripe plantain. . Sprinkle salt over the soup and add pinch potash. 3. Debone and clean the fish. beef and bitter leaf. Serve warm as soup with pounded ripe plantain and starch or garri balls. mixing well. 2. Chop the cook shrimps and combine all the ingredients. 7. Remove cooked yam pieces and reserve t liquid. addthepumpkn1eagtth and boil again for 5 minutes 9. 5.Roast the dry fish lightly and put them hot into the sauce to absorb it. Wash and chop the cucumber and set aside. Mix well and bring soup to boil again cooking for 10 minutes.Add potash and palm oil. mix well and cook for 5 minutes with pot covered. Spread between two slices of bread and cut into triangles of each sandwich. tin melon seed ground small washed bitter leaf 1 small marg. Add salt to taste. 7. Tin beef broth salt to taste 4-5 large tomatoes 1 seasoning cube 1 large onion-chopped 3 tbsp ground crayfish 4 large fresh peppers 1 small marg. stirring constantly. stir occasionally. Add okro if desired and simmer for 5 minutes till soup is slightly thickened. Mix the ground melon see and locust bean with half of the hot beef broth to a thick paste and Set aside. 2. 2. if desired. 3. 4. 8. BEEF MELON AND VEGETABLE SOUP 400gs cooked beef 1 small bunch chopped spinach or pumpkin leaves 1 medium smoked fish ½ small tomato tin 1 small mar. 4. Stir occasionally to prevent burning. Mix well and cover and bring to boil. Dry fish and may be used instead of chicken.Boil the yam in enough water to cover the yam pieces. corn meal balls or garri balls. Add the dissolved melon. Pound till smooth. Tin palm oil Method 1. Stir occasionally.Using the pestle. Serve 6-8 DRY FISH PALM OIL SAUCE (Uncooked Method) 12 pieces of a small tuber yam 150m1 tin palm oil Water for boiling yam 3-4 tbsp crayfish 1 tsp ground pepper ½ tsp potash 4 small sized dry fish salt to taste Method 1. dry fish. Serves . 6. Stir in the remaining water/beef broth. l. allowing it to bubble for 10 minutes. Blend the tomatoes and peppers. squeeze the fish gently to soften them. Add the onion and fry till lightly brown. 4.Gradually pour some quantity of the liquid into the thick sauce i’ the mortar Mix thoroughly with the pestle.
e)Vinegar or salted water must be used to wash and rinse the vegetables and fruits to destroy any available bacterium that can cause food poisoning. tender or crisp. FRUIT SALADS Fruit salads are more delicate and lighter than vegetable salads. When you cook these items. In preparing salads. All fruit salads should be chilled before they are served SAUTE VEGETABLES 500g green leafy vegetable (Spinach) 1 medium onion 200g flaked fish 1 green pepper 100g fresh prawns (cleaned and cooked) 2fresh scent pepper 4 firm tomatoes 25g margarine/I 14 tbsp vegetable oil salt to taste. yam. The colour is also affected by excessive heat. Method 1. peppers. Almost in all cases Salads are served with some kind of dressing or cream. In preparing the fruits. Vegetables and fruits are prominent components of salads. . Set aside. ensure that you use little amount of water and that you don’t over cook them. They are good sources of vitamins and minerals as well as rouphages. tomatoes. fresh. g)Ensure that the prepare salads are adequately chilled or refrigerated before served. uniform in colour. side. The cooking methods for fruits and vegetables should be selected to enhance maximum retention of nutrients. Cook for 1 minute and stir in the leafy vegetables. VEGETABLE SALADS Salads are dishes containing vegetables or combinations of fruits and or vegetables which can be improved with protein items such as meat. garnishes and dressings or creams which act as seasonings. Add the chopped onion. 5. Blanching and steaming of vegetables can help to retain flavour colour and food value.shaped and without cuts. Wash onion. Excessive heat destroys some of the nutrients in fruits and vegetable and softens them. Freshly picked vegetables such as leaf vegetables will cook for a shorter period than vegetables such as legumes and root vegetables. Also choose fruit and vegetable that are firm. 3. It is cooled and poured over the prepared fruits. texture and colour and nutrient. Salads are nUttOiili1C they provide rich sources of vitamins (A& C) iron. They are often used as light and refreshing appetizers or desserts. Salads may be served as a separate course. Syrup can be added to fruit salads. 2.Avoid mushy products . and rouphages. eggs or fish. Cook gently for about 5 minutes till fat is absorbed and vegetables are cooked. The syrup is made by heating 75 grams sugar in 250ml water with lime or lemon juice until the mixtures changes to light brown. always chose fresh vegetables and fruits instead of canned or frozen ones in order to obtain the true flavor. flavours and optimum palatability. FRUITS AND. Use tools to wash and arrange the items and keep salad well garnished. The following is a brief note on salads. all seeds. Wash and slice the leafy vegetable. Top with fried or poached egg. Place a frying pan over heat and melt the margarine. tomatoes and peppers very well and chop them. prawns and the flaked fish. 4. All salads have the main ingredients. or blemishes. d)Proper hygiene must be maintained when preparing salads in order to avoid contamination by harmful bacteria. When buying vegetables. or desserts dishes. potatoes or plantain. clean and crisp. as an appetizer or an accompaniment to main dish. Wash and rewash vegetables properly before using. c)Ensure that there is variety in colour texture and taste of items or ingredients. well. stems and the like must be removed to make eating easy.SALADS Vegetables and fruits are important to meals. Serve hot as an accompaniment to plain boiled rice. inedible skins. f)Add salad cream to vegetable salad just before serving. They may serve as main.12 CHAPTER TWO VEGETABLES. a)Ensure that the salads ingredients are fresh. b)Cut the items in bite sizes or as indicated in the recipe . follow these guidelines.
Wash in salted water and leave to drain.Cut the beef into chunks of I-inch cubes. 4.13 BEEF-VEGETABLE KEBABS 250 cooked beef 1-2 potatoes 4 small onions 1 seasoning cube 3 carrots ½ tsp curry and white pepper 1 green pepper ½ tsp thyme. 2. dry thoroughly. 3. Stir. (If fresh) and set aside. Wash onions and cut each into 4 parts. if desired and top with ketch-up. toss and mix completely. Place beside the meat dish. 5. Serve as side dish with rice or potatoes. Steam the shredded cabbage for 2 minutes. 6. 4. 3. Deseed the green pepper and cut into 1-inchsquares. Alternatively.Add the seasonings and toss very well. This can also be baked in the oven by placing in a well-grease aluminum foil which is wrapped securely. Serve as appetizer or snack. Toss well while cooking over medium heat. noodles etc) with grilled or fried chicken/beef. ginger etc 12 small sized tomatoes 4 wooden skewers/toothpicks Method 1. 2. Drain thoroughly. 2.Peel and cut potatoes into 1. When slightly brown. 3. Wash and peel potatoes. Add the salt. Cut them into medium size strips or slices. . kitchen wonder can be used to cut potatoes. 4-6 GARDEN EGG SAUCE .Cut carrots into I-inch segments. carrots and peas. Method 1. CRISPY POTATO CHIPS 2 medium Irish potatoes per person Salt and white pepper ice water vegetable oil for frying Method 1. MIXED VEGETABLE SIDE DISH 250g sliced carrots 2 stalks celery (sliced) 250g sliced green beans 100g sweet corn ½ tsp curry ¼ small cabbage salt and pepper to taste ½ tsp soy sauce 1 sliced onion 2 tbsp vegetable oil Method 1. 4.Combine the beef chunks and the vegetables including the drained potatoes in a bowl.fry for 5-6 minutes and serve as side dish with potatoes or cereals (rice. Remove.Place in a grilling dish and cook over medium heat for about 30 minutes.inch cubes and place in ice water to prevent disco10uration. onion. Place in a fry pan. 5. remove from oil and drain. sprinkle some pepper on them. Hear the oil in a frying pan and combine all the ingredients in the oil. . Soak the potatoes in ice water for about 30 minutes or 1 hour. Wash and slice cabbage. 3. Alternate chunks of meat and vegetable on skewers. Sprinkle salt on the potato strips and fry in deep fat fryer. Parboil the green beans. STEAMED CABBAGE (side dish) 1 small head of white cabbage 3 tbsp margarine 1 tsp salt to taste 1 onion sliced. dot with margarine and stir fry for about 3 minutes. 2.
In a frying pan. 4. Add flaked fish if desired. salt and vinegar. 3. Combine sugar. SHRIMP-EGG SALAD (Appetizer) 100 cooked shrimps salt to taste 1 tbsp lemon juice ½ tsp ground pepper 3 stalks celery. Chop the shrimps in to pieces. potatoes or plantain. pepper and onions. Stir gently and heat through for 1 minute longer. Method 1. boiled or fried yam or plantain. 4. Serve hot with tomato sauce as a side dish or accompaniment for boiled or Jollof rice. Cut into thin slices an set aside. Set aside. Sprinkle them with lemon juice. 3. Method 1. lemon. Place the tomatoes on t h e lettuce leaves in between the avocados. Cook for 5minutes longer for taste to blend. onion. Add the sliced garden egg and season with salt. Wash. tomatoes and9epper to half-cooked. sliced. 2. Place the salad on a flat dish lined with sliced lettuce leaves. Now slice the tomatoes.14 3 medium fresh garden eggs 1 medium onion 4-6 medium tomatoes 150m1 vegetable or palm oil 4 fresh pepper salt to taste Method 1. Wash and slice green leafy vegetables. oil. 3. melt the margarine and add the vegetables. Garnish with the egg slices and chill before serving SAUTE SPINACH GREENS 500g greens (spinach or fluted pumpkin) 1 medium onion Margarine or vegetable oil 2-3 fresh scent peppers (optional) salt to taste 1 green scent pepper 100g fresh prawns Method 1. Wash and slice the lettuce or cabbage leaves. sliced sliced lettuce leaves 4tbsp mayonnaise 2 hard cooked eggs. and the scent peppers. Season with the salt and pepper and mix lightly. onions. Arrange the cut avocados on a flat dish lined with the lettuce or cabbage slices. Season with a little salt. 3. EGGNOG SALAD 1 egg 1 cup flaked coconut . 5. Server 4. juice. cut each avocados into six segments and peel the skin. 2. 2. TOMATO-AVOCADO SALAD 2 avocado pears 2 ½ tbsp lemon juice 2medjum tomatoes ½ tbsp salt Lettuce or cabbage leaves ½ tbsp vinegar 1 tbsp sugar 3 tbsp vegetable oil. Remove from heat and serve with fried or boiled yam. Clean and parboil the fresh prawns shrimps if available. Wash and peel garden eggs. Heat the oil in a frying pan and proceed to frying the onions. 2. Wash and cut tomatoes into segments. Add the celery and mayonnaise. Sprinkle the vegetables with lemon juice mixture and chill before serving. pepper and prawns. Cover and cook for 3 minutes till fat is absorbed.
Green cabbage 2 tbsp white vinegar 200g shredded red cabbage 3 tbsp granulated sugar. STIR-FRIED GREENS 1 medium bunch spinach leaves ½ tsp salt ¼ cup water 2 tbsp vegetable oil 1 medium onion/sliced 1 fresh pepper-chopped/sliced Method 1.15 250m1 milk 1 cup orange juice 1 tbsp sugar or honey sachet of plain gelatin 1 cup mixed fruits(pineapple. combine cabbages. 2. Peel Yam. 3. wash and place the yam pieces in a saucepan. Chill in freezer until firm. Do not over cook. scent leaves. Combine the remaining ingredients mixing well. 2. add the cooked goat meat (cut-up) to the yam and continue boiling for another 15 minutes till yam is cooked and meat is tender. Set aside. In a large bowl. Serve as dessert. RED AND GREEN COLESLAW 4 carrots. Add the prepared herbs. With boiled unripe plantain (5-6 fingers) may be used in place of yam. crayfish. 2. 4. pepper and salt. Makes 6 servings. Pour over vegetables and mix well. Serve hot in plain form or topped with palm oil drops. Serve as a side ‘dish with jollof rice or top over stew. 3. Leave to boil for another 10 minutes 4. Stir well and cover. egg and sugar) ingredients. green pepper and onion. Put enough water to cover the yam and put to boiling. Bring water to boil and add salt. Chill before serving. Blanch. 2.shredded 1 tspsa1t 600g shredded. Stir well again. remove the lemon grass bunch and any other edible spices/herbs. Method 1. pawpaw) ¼ tsp nutmeg. Soften g e 1 a tin in the orange juice and melt over hot water. tangerines. 50g shopped green pepper Method 1. Add the blanched green leaves and toss as you fry. 3. watermelon. orange. When half-cooked. 3. Wash and chop leaf vegetables. Makes 6-7 servings. 5. Mix the eggnog (milk. spices. In a medium pan. Combine the rest of ingredients and pour into small cups and chill. carrots. heat the vegetable oil and fry fry onion and pepper slices. GOAT MEAT AND YAM CASSEROLE 600g cooked goat meat (deboned) (cutlets) ½ medium tuber yam 2 stalks lemon grass leaf 4 scent leaves 2 tbsp ground crayfish 2 tsp ground African nutmeg 2 crushed and seeded enge pods 1 seasoning cube salt and pepper to taste water for boiling yam Method 1. chopped leaves and set aside. VEGETABLE RELISHES 1 celery stalk in strip 3 carrots in strip 2 tbsp mayonnaise ¼ tsb salt . Tie the lemon grass to make a bunch.
Wash cauliflowers well and place in salt water. Cook for about 5-6 minutes and drain off the water. vegetables wash in salted water or vinegar solution. Garnish the top with egg slices. with lettuce leaves as under liners. Alternatively. 4. 2. MIXED VEGETABLE SALAD 4 medium carrots (diced/grated) 1 small can peas 1 small sized cabbage 1 head lettuce 100g sweet corn 3 firm tomatoes (diced) 1 can baked beans 1 small cucumber-sliced 2 hard cooked eggs-sliced 1 onion sliced and blanched. sliced diagonally 2 hardboiled eggs 1 green chill pepper. 7. sliced 4 tbsp margarine 2 carrots. Mix all the remaining ingredients in a bowl and place in the c of a flat dish or tray.16 1 cauliflower in chunks ½ graded onion 3 large firm tomatoes in sections 2 tbsp milk 2 cucumbers in slices Method 1. Melt the margarine in the small frying pan and add the onion. Garnish with egg white slices around the dish and the yolks as topping on the cauliflower. Arrange the prepared vegetables around the bowl. 3. Chill before serving as appetizers CRUNCHY CAULIFLOWER 1 large head cauliflower 1 onion. Set aside to drain. 3. arrange the vegetables on a flat dish in diagonal or circular arrangement. 6. Stir in the carrot slices. Now toss and mix all the vegetables in a salad bowl or arrange them in layers. 4. Peel and slice cucumber thinly. Trim off the hard stem and cut cauliflower well small chunks. pepper and cooked cauliflower. Remove the large outer green leaves. 2. Stir-fry for3 minutes and serve hot. Note: Carrots can be sliced or grated in long strips and used in the raw state instead of dicing and blanching. chopped Salt to taste Method 1. 1 medium beet root diced blanched ½ green pepper diced salad dressing/cream/mayonnaise Method 1. Wash again with vinegar and salt solution. The mi serves as a dip for the vegetable. Chill well in the refrigerator and serve with salad cream. Peel and dice carrot and cook in boiled water for 5minutes. Makes 8 servings. peas and baked beans. 3. SALAD CREAM II 4 tbsp evaporated milk 2-4 tbsp vegetable oil 2 eggs yolks 1 ½ tsp sugar 1 tsp mustard ½ tsp salt 2 tbsp white vinegar/lemon juice ½ tsp white pepper 2 tsp boiling water . Drain the green peas and baked beans and 5. Season with salt if necessary. Wash and slice cabbage and lettuce thinly. 2. leaving the pale green leaves. Prepare the vegetables (the first five ingredients). Drain off the water and cool.
grated long ½ of one beet root (diced) 3 tbsp shredded coconut ½ small onion 50g cashew nuts (optional) 2 firm ripe tomatoes salad cream to taste 1 green or red apple Method 1. Slice the remaining cucumber and to serve. Place yolks. Top with mayonnaise. Wash and chop celery or spring onion. 5. Prepare cabbage and shred finely. pepper. 4. CARROT-CUCUMMBER SALAD 3 large carrots (shredded) 2 large cucumbers. Chop onion. Toss gently and set aside. slit and remove the seeds. Sanitize vegetable very well to destroy harmful micro organisms. 3. 5. add a little milk or vinegar to thicken. Crush the peanuts and combine all the ingredients. 2. 2. chopped 1 small onion chopped ½ tsp white/black pepper 4 tbsp mayonnaise or salad cream . 3. 6. 3. Garnish with cucumber slices. Now shred the cucumbers. Remove the hard brown back of the coconut and shred or grate as well. whisking continuously. take another egg yolk with ½ tsp water and add to mixture and whisk well. Add the boiling water and milk after whisking well. peeled and diced 4 tbsp shredded coconut 1 tbsp sugar salt to taste 2 tbsp mayonnaise Method 1. POTATO SALAD 4 large potatoes. Slice the lettuce or cabbage leaves and set aside. Pour oil gradually. Line a flat dish with the lettuce or cabbage leaves and serve the salad on the leaves. Peel and grate the carrot in long pieces and combine all the shredded vegetables in a bowl. Put all ingredients except mayonnaise in a salad bowl or arrant vegetables by alternating them and having the salad well garnished. If mixture is too thick. CUCUMBERAND COCONUT SALAD 3 medium cucumbers 2-3 carrots 1 small coconut Lettuce leaves/cabbage 100g roasted peanuts (pealed) Mayonnaise Method 1. 2. Chill and top with mayonnaise before serving. Chill and serve with salad cream or mayonnaise.cooked and diced 2 stalks spring onion/celery-chopped ½ tsp salt 3 hard boiled eggs. 4. sugar and mustard in a bowl and whisk well. Wash cucumbers. Reserve one for slicing. Mix all ingredients together. Make 8 servings. 2. salt.17 Method 1. Continue whisking till mixture is thick. vinegar. CABBAGE SALAD ½ small firm white cabbage I stalk celery or spring onion 2 large carrots. Put in salad bowl and garnish with wedges of tomatoes. cashew nuts and apple with skin 4. Set aside.
Add the salt and mayonnaise or cream. The leafy end serves as cover for the larger part of the pineapple. Prepare the other vegetables and combine the diced eggs shrimps. Garnish with few shredded carrots or sweet red pepper. green pepper and white pepper in bowl. Add the cream or mayonnaise and toss lightly. Cook the sugar in the pineapple juice or water until it dissolves. chopped celery. 2. Cut across the pineapple to the leafy end smaller than the other part. 3. 3. making sure that the eggs dc not scatter much. In a large. combine all ingredients. Prepare the other fruits by slicing bananas and chopping others. excepts salad cream. Line a flat dish with the lettuce leaves. 6. Chill and top with mayonnaise before serving FRUIT BASKET / SURPRISE 4 firm bananas-sliced 4 orange-peeled and chopped 1 medium pineapple ½ watermelon 2 firm ripe mangoes or pawpaw 4 tbsp sugar ½ cup raisins (optional) 1 cup pineapple juice/water 2 limes Method 1. Toss them lightly together and season with salt and white pepper.18 Method 1. Allow syrup to cool. Use sharp knife to scoop out the inside of the pineapple and reserve the shell. Makes 6 servings PLAIN EGG SALAD 4 hard boiled eggs (diced) 1 stalk celery-finely chopped 2 tbsp mayonnaise/salad cream ½ green pepper-finely chopped 1 small onion-chopped (optional) ½ tsp white pepper Method Place the diced eggs. Serve chilled. Gently toss the ingredients together. 4. 4. 3. green pepper. 1. 3. 5. 2. Spread the egg salad over the lettuce leaves and garnish with the remaining eggs (cut in segments) or seeded tomatoes. 6. 5. Chop the shrimps and dice only 2 cooked eggs. Now fry the onion in small fat or oil until golden brown and add to the salad. 4. 2. . Combine all the fruits in a bowl and set aside. Serves a starter on appetizer or a snack with crackers/toasted bread. Refrigerate before serving into cocktail glasses. 5. SWEET CORNAND EGG SALAD 4 hard cooked eggs 2 bunches lettuce leaves sliced 1/2 green pepper-chopped 5 large fresh shrimps cooked 2 tbsp mayonnaise pinch salt and white pepper 1 tbsp lime/Lemon juice 2 stalks celery-diced 200g sweet corn Method 1. celery and sweet corn. Add the syrup to fruits and mix up gently. Squeeze out the juice from one lime and pour over sliced bananas to prevent browning.
drain the cabbage and other vegetables thoroughly. 5. BAKED SPICED FRUITS 250g chopped pineapples 250g apple or mangoes 250g seedless orange sections 2 tbsp sugar 1/8 tsp salt a pinch nutmeg Method 1. Place water and sugar in a sauce pot and heat till sugar is dissolved.19 7. currants. 2. all spice and nutmeg over the fruit mixture and toss well. Makes 8-10 servings. peeled and chopped. Combine oranges. coconut. SUGAR SYRUP FOR FRUIT SALAD 100g sugar 250ml water Method 1. Toss them well in a salad bowl. chop onion and grate the carrots add these to the cabbage in the bowl of salted ice water. 3. Serves 8-10. Leave it to cool and pour over a bowl of fruit salad. 4. Using the kitchen wonder. After 301 minutes. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour and serve in dessert cups or cocktail bowls as dessert. 6. watermelon and pineapple in a mixing bowl. 2. Mix up thoroughly. CRISPY COLESLAW 450g fresh white cabbage 1 green pepper ¼ green pepper 2 large carrots 1 litre ice water 1 tbsp sugar 2 tbsp white vinegar 3 mayonnaise pinch salt and white pepper Method 1. sugar and pepper. 8. Add orange juice and honey. Boil for another 5 minutes till syrup thickens. Also’ clean the carrots and onion. Season with salt. Add the mayonnaise and serve. Wash and cut the green pepper to remove core and seeds. shred cabbage and put in a bowl containing ice water and the vinegar or lemon juice. using the fruits that have been washed. 3. shredded coconut 4 tbsp honey 2 tbsp lemon juice ¼ chopped pineapple 100g currants/raisins 1 tsp all spice ½ tsp vanilla and nutmeg 3 seedless oranges (peeled and diced) Method 1. Combine all the ingredients. Reserve mayonnaise to time of serving. cover bowl and chill in the refrigerator. Filltl4e pineapple shell with the mixed fruits. . pile high the shell. cover with the leafy end and chill. Now shred the green pepper. Wash cabbage very well. Decorate with lime slices. 2. Sprinkle vanilla. lemon Juice. SPICED FRUIT SALAD ¼ water fl’1eOfl (diced) 250m1 orange juice 50e.
Serve warm as a main dish. YAM AND VEGETABLE POTTAGE ½ tuber of medium soft white yam 1 medium dry fish/cooked beef 10 stalks of pumpkin/green vegetable 1 ½ tsp ground pepper 200m1 of palm oil Method 1. Keep chilled. Sprinkle a little salt over the yams. cover pot and boil for 5 minutes. 3. sprinkle the ground dry pepper and add the fish. pour the palm oil over all the yam surface. Wash and parboil beans till half cooked.20 2. With a little water left in the cooked beans-maize. Place yams in a saucepot and fill with enough water to cover the yams. wash and cut yam into 2 inch squares. Add potash if desired. Cook for about 25 minutes or till yam cuts are cooked. Taste for salt and pepper. 4. 2 yolks from hard boiled eggs. Cover pot and boil for about 10 minutes till liquid become a thick sauce and yam cuts have absorbed some oil. Add the palm oil and the other ingredients. Makes 4 servings. 4. 7. 4 tbsp evaporated milk ½ tsp salt 2. 5. . 2. 2. Mix well and place in a greased baking dish. Add the leafy vegetable and stir well. Tin shelled fresh maize 3. Stir very well to mix up the ingredients. 6. 4. 3. cover the pot and bring to boil. 4. Serves 4-6. Whisk very well. Tin large chunks of dry fish salt to taste water salt to taste 3-4 tbsp crushed crayfish 1 medium onion Method 1. Sort and wash the maize. Sieve all the dry ingredients as well. SALAD CREAM (MAYONNAISE) 1.peppers (chopped) I large onion (sliced) 2 medium tomatoes (chopped) 2 tbsp crushed crayfish 1 milk tin dry prawns 2 marg. 3. 2. 1 ½ tsp sugar ½ tsp white pepper Method 1. Add the vinegar gradually too. Serve as appetizer for breakfast or dessert. Mix well and serve as topping or sauce for vegetable salads. crayfish and onion. and blend in the vegetable oil. tin beans (uncooked) 2 marg. When yam is almost cooked. Now clean fish chop onion and leafy vegetables and set aside. Cooked for 1 minutes longer and s e r v e warm as a packed meal or main dish. mixing well. Simmer for 5 minute e s more. 2 tbsp vegetable oil 2tbsp white vinegar/lemon juice 3. Combine all the sieved ingredients in a bowl and add milk gradually. Stir well. Serves 4. Peel. Bake over medium heat in the oven for 30 minutes. Press the egg yolks through a sieve to smooth. stirring gently to distribute the ingredients well. Grape fruit can be used in place of orange. dry mustard 4. Add maize to the beans and cook both until soft. BEANS AND MAIZE POTTAGE 1 ½ marg. 3.
Serve hot with pap as breakfast dish. 5. 300ml warm water. Adding the water gradually. 2. Now dip each slice into the beans paste mixture and coat the Potato slice generously. Put in a bowl of cool water. Dry shrimps can be inserted into balls when being dropped in oil as a form of garnishing. salt and chopped onion. Continue the beating of paste to retain air till all the frying is completed. Wash. 3. Beaten eggs or ground crayfish may be added to improve nutrient content and flavour. Method 1. Beat till mixture is light and fluffy. Drain the sweet potato slices thoroughly. 5. Sort and dehaul the beans. 2. 4. each of half inch thickness. BEAN PASTE POTATOES 2 medium sweet potatoes 2 cups bean paste 1 ½ tsp ground pepper veg. Ground crayfish 1fledium onion 2 hard boiled eggs chopped or sliced 200ml vegetable/palm oil 2 ½ tablesp flaked fish Salt to taste 2 deseeded fresh tatashe peppers 1 bunch of wrapping leaves or steaming cups. cream or beat the beam paste vigorously enough to incorporate air into it. adding the oil gradually. pepper and salt to bean paste and beat well. Use medium dessert spoon to drop the mixture in balls into the oil.21 BEAN BALLS (AKARA OR FRIED BEAN CAKE) 2 cups of white beans salt to taste 1 large onion 100ml warm water 1 tsp ground dry pepper vegetable oil for deep frying 2 chopped fresh pepper Method 1. Stir in the warm water gradually and the flaked fish. STEAMFD BEAN PASTE (MOI-MOI) 2 Cups beans veg. Add the pepper. Stir well with the wooden spoon and heat the oil in a deep frying pan. Fry in the hot oil until golden brown on both sides. peel and cut potatoes into about 8 slice. oil for deep frying 1 ½ tomato tin water salt to taste. Makes 5-6 servings. Taste for salt and season . Serve hot as snacks. Fry until golden brown on all sides turning frequently.Put in a bowl and beat or stir vigorously. 3. 4. 2. 6. Add little water. 1.Blend in the crayfish and salt. grind into a very smooth thick paste and put in a clean bowl. Oil for deep frying 4 fresh pepper 2 table sp.Sort and dehaul beans and grind together with fresh peppers and onion. 6. Heat the oil for frying. Prepare the bean paste as for Akara balls. Makes 15-20 small balls. Method 1. Test oil for moderate frying temperature using drop of water.
Using a knife or a portable slicer. Sprinkle salt all over the slices and set aside for 5 minutes 3. Add Potash to soften the water and facilitate the cooking. Stir well and season with salt to taste. Leave to simmer till beans is well cooked but not broken. Corned beef may be used in place of sliced eggs. PLAIN BOILED BEANS 1 cup beans Pinch potash 4 cups water pinch salt Method 1. 5. Cook for 20 minutes and stir in the oil and ground pepper. Boil for about 40 minutes or until soft cooked. BEEF STEW 2cupsbeans Enough water to cook beans Salt to taste Crayfish. yam. Slices may be lengthwise or crosswise. cut plantain about 1/8 inch thickness. serve warm with pap for breakfast as side dish with jollof rice. Make 5 servings. Make 12-14 cups or wrappings. Cover and cook to bind the ingredients. Wash and peel plantains. onion (as desired) 1 cup palm oil or groundnut oil cooked meat/dry fish Method Boil beans and meat together. 4.22 well. 4. 3. Serve as snack. Note: Tomato paste may be added to improve colour. Heat oil in a frying pan to moderate temperature and fry the plantain slices till lightly brown on all sides. 4.Steam 35minutes. Heat the vegetable oil and fry till crisp. 3. Serve as side dish to plain boiled rice. Serve with tomato sauce (stew) and plain boiled rice. 6.Place the pot and pour in boiled water through side of the pot to the level of the packings. wash and begin cooking in the plain water. Remove and drain. salt Vegetable oil for frying Method 1. 2. plantain or fried potatoes and plantain. boiled unripe plantain or fried ripe plantain. Serves 4 CRISPY FRIED UNRIPE PLANTAIN SLICES 2 medium unripe plantain ½ tsp. Salt palm oil/vegetable oil for frying Method 1. ground pepper. Slice them diagonally in ¼ inch thickens to a bowl. 4. Stir to thicken. y potatoes. 2. Add sliced onion and crayfish. Serve as side dish for stewed beans or rice dishes.Stir the mixture well again and scoop one or two spoonfuls into greased aluminum cups or wrapping leaves. Sort beans. Scoop into colander for oil to drain off. Sprinkle salt all over and toss well. DRY CORN AND BEAN STEW . 2. Wash and peel the plantains. FRIED RIPE PLANTAIN SLICES 2 large ripe plantains 1 ½ tsp. Fold and leaves properly before arranging in the pot. Add salt to taste.Put water to boil in a steaming pot and place deep pot packed with few sticks or plantain leaves to keep moi-moi from direct heat.
23 1 ½ cup dry corn 1 tsp pepper Enough water for boiling 1 medium onion. heart. add the palm oil. Cooked beef chunks can be used instead of gizzard. potassium. intestines. Add fish if available and cook for another 3 minutes. chopped Smoked fish (deboned) 100ml palm oil salt to taste 1 tbsp ground crayfish ½ green pepper for garnishing Method 1. poultry and eggs are complete proteins. CHICKEN GIZZARD KEBABS 450gs chicken gizzards 2 onions-cut in chunks 1 tsp curry Salt and pepper 2 tbsp melted margarine 5 wooden or metal shewers Method Clean and wash the gizzards and cut in halves. to destroy bacteria and to improve its appearance. When cooked. Whole chicken and turkey should be stuffed before cooking. Serve 8-10. The age of animal. Brush with melted margarine and grill or bake over medium heat for 10-15 minutes. 4. Excessive heat can easily make fish t i and dry.cooked. CHICKEN NUGGETS 450g cooked chicken (minced) 4 slices of bread (crust removed) 1 tbsp margarine 1 tbsp flour . methods of cooking meats. They also supply iron. Season with salt. 2. Serve and garnish with sliced green pepper and fried fresh prawns. frying and braising are three general. Examples are liver. Frequently turn and brush with fat. clam. The shell fish include shrimps. Cook until the both oil and the liquid are well blended. tail. salt and crayfish. sodium and magnesium. kidneys. tongue. marrows etc. crabs etc. Thread the cooked gizzards on small skewers or toothpicks with the onion chunks place in between the gizzards (3 gizzards pieces to 2 onion chunks). pepper and curry. Meats. 5. 3. Parboil them for about 10 minutes. They are good sources of such vitamins as the B complex group. Fish is also complete protein and is available in two major forms: fin fish and shell fish. All meats should be well-cooked to make them tender. Sort and clean beans. vitamin A and I. brains. There are certain organs and glands of the animals called variety meats that are used as delicacies in meals. Leave to cook until soft. Add the beans to the boiling corm. Clean and put the dry corn in salted boiling water and cook till half. All meats including poultry must be well cooked but over cooking and excessive heat makes them tough and dry. CHAPTER THREE MEAT. tripe (shaki). Other methods include broiling or grilling and stewing. FISH AND EGGS Meat is generally the main item of a meal and is obtained from a variety of animals. Fish can be prepared by any of the above mentioned methods and should not be overcooked. inc1udiig fish. stirring frequently. pepper. Beef is the most important meat used and the muscle fibres are the most desirable parts. Roasting. the type of feed and the amount of muscle greatly influence the quality of the meat when cooked. palatable and digestible. phosphorus.
Remove from heat an allow to cool completely. Use a fork to turn the balls in the beaten egg or use pastry brush to coat with egg. In a saucepan. Season with salt to taste. Note: The same method for braised beef can be used but add sliced (3) red pepper. Add the chilli pepper. BRAISED CURRIED CHICKEN/TURKEY 2 thighs of chicken/turkey wing (cut up) 3 tsp curry 3 tbsp margarine/vegetable oil 1 seasoning Method Stir and mix up curry powder. Cook under low heat for about I V2 hours till cooked and lightly brown. 3. melted margarine and seasoning cube in a small bowl and set aside.24 1 40m1 milk 1 chilli pepper. Stir in the drained peas and serve hot garnished with parsley leaves. CURRIED MACARONI Braised beef (cooked) 4 tbsp vegetable oil. Stir in the chicken and breadcrumbs into the white sauce (milk and flour mixture). Stir in the flour and add the milk. SHRIMP KEBABS 300g large fresh shrimps salt and pepper to taste . Stir in the chicken/beef broth and bring to boil Place cooked macaroni in the pot and stir in the braised beef/chicken. onion slices celery and seasonings for2 minutes. 6. finely chopped 1 tbsp chopped parsley Pinch salt 2 eggs Vegetable oil for deep frying Method Toast the bread and crush into breadcrumbs. stirring constantly. Return to heat and bring to boil. Drain and serve with ketchup as appetizer. place macaroni and cook as directed on package drain off. Prepare braised beefy chicken and set aside. Melt the margarine in a flying pan and remove from heat. With hands well flowered shape the cooled mixture into balls. Method 1. Wash and allow cut-up chicken to drain off water. 2. Cook until golden brand on all sides. In another saucepan. 5. heat vegetable oil. 4. Season the chicken well and place in a sauce pot with 1 cup of water. Combine part of the breadcrumbs with the minced chicken and set aside. onion and parsley. Steam under low heat for 1 ‘/2 hours till browned. Serve hot with braised rice. Cover and cook for about 6-10 minutes. chopped 1 spring onion. Remove from heat when macaroni is tender. Coat the egg washed balls with the remaining breadcrumbs and fry in deep frying pan. 34 onion and 1 fresh tomato to the cut-up beef. 2 small onions sliced 1 stalk celery chopped 1 tsp salt 2 litres beef broth 1 package elbow macaroni 1 can green pees 1 tsp dried bay leaf crushed 2-3 curry powder 2 seasoning cubes or sachet mix.
5. SHRIMPS IN BATTER 1kg fresh shrimps (large size) (about 15-20 shrimps) ½ tsp curry ¼ tsp salt oil for deep frying Method 1. onions and tomatoes on short skewers. SAVOURY MEATBALLS 1kg ground beef 2 tbsp dried onion flakes 1-2 eggs 1 green pepper diced salt and pepper to taste ¼ tsp thyme maggi or soy sauce l tbsp bread crumbs Method Combine all the ingredient in a bowl and mix up thoroughly. leaving the tail in place. Set aside for the seasoned shrimps to absorb flavours while batter is being prepared. 6. When cooked brush with curry sauce and serve hot as appetizer or finger foods. Shape into balls that look like the size of large walnuts. Grill over medium heat for 15-20 minutes or fry in hot deep fat. Toss gently and alternatively arrange shrimp. 4. 2. Spread the ground beef/sausage mixture over lightly salted thin beef or liver slices. grill over medium flame for 45minutes it can also be fried in deep fat.25 2 large green pepper (cut in squares) 3 large firm tomato (in squares) 2 onion (cut in squares) 3 tbsp vegetable oil curry and thyme (optional) Method Clean shrimps. Wash well and season with curry and salt. 2. Serve with white or yellow sauce as appetizer or without sauce as cocktail-item. green pepper. Place them in greased roasting or grilling pan. Brush oil on kebab. BEEF ROLLUPS 250grams ground beef or sausage 2tablesp. sausage or ground beef and margarine in a saucepan. Cook for 5-6 minutes. and devein. Devin (remove the vein that contain sand) and wash well. removing the shells but leaving the details in place. Chopped onion 1 teasp margarine lean beef l teasp chopped garlic salt and pepper to taste 8-10 thin slices of liver \soft Method 1. 3. Bake or grill toothpicks into meat balls. Serve 8. Combine the shrimps and all other ingredients in a large bowl. Roll up the liver or beef slices as for sausage rolls and secure with tooth picks. Remove shell from shrimps. following the directions below BATTER 150g flour ½ or 1 egg 50m1 milk 1 ½ tsp baking powder pinch salt pepper (optional) . pepper and chopped garlic and cook for another 2 minutes longer. Makes 8-10 serving. Serve as appetizer or snacks for cock tail party. Add salt. Combine onions.
removing all bones. except the tail. 5. ½ tsp baking powder 1-2 tbsp water 1 egg. Add the seasonings and flour and beat well until mixture is creamy 4. beaten egg yolk and flaked fish. CRISPY BAKED CHICKEN l25grams bread crumbs / crack 1/4 tsp salt . Dip each shrimp into the pre-heated oil and cook until golden brown. add the flour coated pieces of fish and fry until dry. 2. Clean shrimps. Oil for deep frying 2 eggs 2tsp soy sauce/ ½ seasoning cube ½ tsp curry salt and white pepper Method 1. Separate the egg whites and yolks. remove shell and devein.26 Method 1. Serve hot with ketchup or yellow sauce. Beat egg whites until foamy and stiff and fold in the fish mixtures. Flatten to give the butterfly shape. Mix flour and seasonings in a large plastic bag. Toss onions. Make a batter with the flour. Beat the egg and gradually mix up with flour. Insert toothpicks into balls and serve as cocktail dish. FISH PUFFS 600g cooked fish 30g flour (2thsp) 1 medium onion chopped 1 green pepper chopped Veg. Place the egg coated pieces of fish into the bag and shake well to coat each piece of fish. puffed and lightly browned. 2. Drain off fat and serve with ketchup as appetizer BUTTERFLY SHRIMPS ½ kg large fresh shrimps 65g flour 1 tbsp corn starch Vegetable oil for deep frying. 5. 3. 6. well beaten Method 1. Now dip each prepared shrimp into the batter and coat the shrimp generously. FISH IN BATTER (FRIED FISH) 6 fish fillet (makarel) 225g flour 2 eggs ½ tsp white/black pepper Oil for flying 1 ½ tsp baking powder Method Rinse the fish and keep to dry. Drain the fried fish and serve garnished with celery leaves or parsley leaves. corm starch. Serve with sauce as an appetizer. salt and baking powder in a bowl and gradually adding the beaten egg in l tbsp water if batter is stiff. Fry until golden brown. 4. Split shrimps down the back to about /2 inch to the tail. Put immediately into hot fat.. Combine all ingredients except egg. add the remaining water. Heat oil for frying in a large frying pan (about 2 inch deep) When oil is hot. Makes 20 balls. Drop spoonfuls into baking dish or fry in hot fat until crisp. Beat the eggs ma large bowl and add the fish one at a time turning well. Flake the cooked fish very well. 3. 3. 2.
Now cut the flesh into small strips or chunks. sliced 1 tsp grated garlic ½ tsp white pepper ½ tsp salt mixed fruit ½ tsp thyme 2 eggs Method 1. chicken cut ups tan be seasoned and parboiled before grilling. Coat the chicken pieces with the flour mixture. 4. stirring frequently. Melt the margarine. Add garlic and ginger. 3. 4. Grill over medium heat for ½ hours. Wash again and set aside to drain off water (parboil if broiler is not used). Beat the eggs and mix beaten eggs with the vegetable mixture and some currants. 4. Grease a baking dishes or tray and place the coated chicken pieces in the lightly grease dish or pan. salt. Heat the vegetable oil in a pan and cook the coated chicken in the hot oil till it is brown. pepper and flour together. Drain off oil from the pan and stir-fry the onion. 2.27 ¼ tsp white pepper ¼ tsp curry 1 whole chicken (broiler) 1 seasoning cube 60 grams (4tbsp) melted margarine Method 1. chopped 2 whole tomatoes 25ograms cabbage. Rub the margarine mixture over chicken parts. Clean the chicken very well and allow to drain. Remove immediately from hea and set aside. Cut chicken into pieces. then roll the chicken pieces in the bread crumbs mixture. 3. Serve 4-6. salt cabbage and the seasonings. Mix margarine. 5. Place some fried chicken pieces in a greased baking pan or dish. Grease a baking dish/pan. Deseed the tomatoes and dice them. CHICKEN/FISH FIESTA 500g broiler chicken/flaked cooked fish l25grams flour sifted 200ml vegetable oil 1 green pepper. Serve as snack. Serve with rice dishes. coat the dry chicken pieces first in m e It e d margarine. Bake for 50-55 minutes. Turning chicken frequently. 6. Place n pre-heated oven for 5 minutes or microwave oven for 5 minutes. sliced 70 grams currants 1 tsp curry 1 large onion. Wash and cut up chicken in to serving pieces or portions. green paper. Mix ¼ tsp salt. Combine breadcrumbs or crushed cracker crumbs and other ingredients except the margarine. 3. 2. basting with the curry and margarine mixture. 6. GRILLED CURRIED CHICKEN 50 g margarine melted 1 clove garlic. diced tomatoes. minced ginger 1 ½ tsp curry powder l tsp salt 1 medium chicken-broiler 1 seasoning cube Method 1. maggi and curry in a bowl. aside. SPICED CHICKEN 1 medium chicken 2 large onions sliced 2 small fresh pepper chopped l tsp thyme . Pour the egg-vegetable mixture over the chicken and top with the remaining fried chicken pieces and currants. Cook and debone. Alternatively. 2. Remove from heat and set 1.
7. 6. Rub some into the cavity of the chicken. Wash up chicken thoroughly. 3. STUFFED ROAST CHICKEN (a) I whole chicken (broiler) (b) Stuffing Salt and pepper 1 onion sliced thinly or chapped 1 tsp margarine 1 tbsp melted margarine 4 tbsp hard cooked rice or bread crumb salt and white pepper Pinch of thyme and curry. Prepare raw chicken by cutting into serving sizes or pieces. 6. 4. Mix the remaining ingredients for batter. ginger) Method 1. tie the wings against the back. salt and pepper. 2. Remove from top cooker and arrange chicken in a greased baking tray. Season the chicken and dip in batter. Toss with fat from chicken and the remaining ground spices. Put chicken parts in to a pot and some of the prepared spice. 2. Fry in deep until golden brown but not completely cooked. Garnish with tomato and onion slices arranged at the sides of the dish. Before serving. Wash. CRISP FRIED CHICKEN (IN BATTER) 1 medium chicken 150g flour 1 tsp baking powder 1 tsp salt 8tbsp milk 1 large egg-well beaten seasoning as desired (curry. 5. Serve with rice and potato dishes. Cross the legs and tic them together with a string. Rub the melted margarine mixture and curry over the outer surface of the chicken. remove tooth picks and strings. Mix the melted margarine. Baste frequently with melted margarine. looping the string. cut chicken thoroughly and set aside for liquid to drain off (10 minutes). and dry. Wash chicken and allow the chicken to drain off water. 5. placing the skin up side down. 2. Combine spices in small mortar and pound. Turn and baste the chicken frequently. 4. 3. 3. thyme. Put in a greased baking dish and roast in oven for about 1½ to hours. Combine all the stuffing ingredients. 4. parboil chicken for 15 minutes or until half cooked.28 5 cloves garlic minced 1 tsp ginger minced Chicken seasoning cubes ½ tsp salt 3 large tomatoes sliced. Secure cavity tightly with toothpick or tie legs with a string. Stuff the cavity with the stuffing mixture. 7. Remove and arrange into baking trays and roast in oven at 3500 for 25-35 minutes. 1 stalk chopped celery Method 1. Prepare the other ingredients. 1 tsp all spice (optional) l tsp curry Method 1. CRISP FRIED FISH 8-10 market fish fillet 150grams salt and pepper seasoned flour . Roast for 1 hour. and mix thoroughly and stir fry for 2 minutes. Parboil chicken and leave to cool if necessary.
chopped 1 stalk celery. 1 egg(beaten) ½ tsp thyme ½ seasoning cube ½ tbsp crushed cracker/bread crumbs ½ green pepper-diced Method 1. mix up thoroughly and shape into balls looking like large walnuts.29 1 egg. 2. Combine the seasoned flour and fish seasoning. Now dip each filler into the beaten egg to coat or use a pastry brush to brush the egg onto the fillets. Baste fish frequently and turn over to prevent sticking. seasoning cube. chopped Method 1. Baste the fish with melted margarine and seasonings. Remove from heat when brown. 4. curry thyme. Garnish with tomato wedges and serve with potatoes chips. 3. ketchup and mixed vegetable side dish. 2. Remove any small bones from the fillet. Cook for about 3minutes on each side and drain before serving. Heat the vegetable oil in a large frying pan and fry the fillets on both sides until golden brown. 3. Dredge the fillet lightly with the seasoned flour. Coat the egg-washed fillets into the seasoned flour again. Pour vegetable oil over them in a grilling dish and grill over direct heater or bake in the oven. B) SPAGHETTI SAUCE 3 tbsp vegetable oil 1 small onion ½ tsp ginger (grated) 1 tsp garlic (grated) 4 firm tomato-cubed 1 tbsp flour Method 300m1 water/broth 1 tsp sugar (optional) 1 tbsp vinegar ½ green pepper 1 small can tomato paste pepper and salt to taste . Combine all the ingredients in a bowl. 5. 4. Slice fish open and wash fish thoroughly and dry. sliced Salt and seasoning cube Pinch thyme 1 tbsp margarine 1small pepper. Grill over medium direct heat in oven for 1 ½ hours. Cut slits on the sides of the fish. Fill the cavity of the fish with stuffing. Secure the cavity with toothpick. slightly beaten 1 sachet fish seasoning 4 tbsp Dry breadcrumbs Vegetable oil for frying Chopped parsley leaves for garnishing Method 1. white pepper. Serve with rice pilaf. 2. FISH BALLS IN SPAGHETTI SAUCE a) FISH BALLS 500g minced beef or cooked flaked fish 2 tbsp dried onion. Combine all the ingredients for stuffing and toss them lightly over heat for 2 minutes. 1 onion. GRILLED STUFFED FISH 1 whole fish with back bone and gills removed 2 tbsp melted margarine Salt. mixing well.
chopped 2-1 stales celery. Apply heat and cook briefly. stirring well. Add 2 tbsp water. Debone cooked fish completely and flake very well 2. 3. Lace with toot picks to secure the fish cavity. Add the green pepper. Add the sugar and season with salt. 2. ½ tsp seasoning onion. and ½ tsp fish seasoning. chopped pepper and celery. In a bowl. Cook for 3 minutes. Turn occasionally prevent sticking. Place in a baking tray d grill or barbecue over direct heat for about ½ hour. Remove from heat after 2 minutes. 5. Serve with ketchup as filling for sandwich. Make diagonal slits on each side of the fish and brush the margarine and seasoning mixture all over the cavity and external surfaces of the fish. 3. curry. Now allow patties to be properly cooked. FRIED FISH PATI1ES 500g cooked flaked fish 2 tbsp corn starch 1 small onion-finely chopped salt to taste 1 tbsp grated carrot ½ tsp curry 1 tsp grated fresh ginger 2 tbsp vegetable oil 1 egg white Method 1. split through to remove the backbone and intestines plus gills. carrot. Drain well and serve onto a flat dish. 4. Garish with the tomato slices or chopped parsley. oil and onion in a sauce pot. FRENCH FRIED EGGS 3 eggs Salt and pepper vegetable oil for deep frying Method 1. Put the garlic ginger. Now mix remaining margarine. Sprinkle salt and pepper at the top. Mix the fish together with onion. CELERY STUFFED FISH 1 whole frozen cracker 1 fresh pepper. fresh chopped tomatoes and the paste. Shape each egg with the frying spoon so as to enclose the yn1k in crisply fried white. Clean fish thoroughly. Brown on both sides. ½ seasoning cube and pepper. Use as stuffing for the cavity of the fish. Turn down the heat and cover the frying pan and cook for5 minutes. Gradually add the vinegar to flour mixture and stir into the pot of sauce. Heat oil in a deep frying pan and carefully break the eggs n e by one into the fairly deep hot oil. chopped ½ tsp thyme 1 tsp fish seasoning 4 tbsp margarine (melted) 4tbsp bread crumbs or hard boiled rice. 3.30 1. Serve with grilled sausage and toast for breakfast. combine 1 tbsp melted margarine hard boiled rice. Shape into small patties and fly in preheated vegetable oil. chopped ½ tsp curry ½ onion. 3. salt. 6. Mix the flour and water in a bowl and set aside. Wash very well and leave to dry (drain off water) 2. ginger. curry and egg white. Place in a frying pan and steam for 2-3 minutes. 2. BEEF GOULASH 1 kg tender beef (steak) 1 tsp grated garlic . 4. Fill the cavity of the fish with the prepared stuffing. cornstarch. thyme. Baste fish again with remaining melted margarine. Method 1. Serve over the grilled fish balls on cooked spaghetti.
3. 2.31 2 large onions 2 tbsp margarine 1 bay leaf salt and pepper to taste 2 tbsp tomato paste 250m1 beef stock or water Method 1. sliced. Add tomato puree. Turn frequently to prevent bursting or burning. the fish stock and pepper. 4. Dot with Ketchup if desired. 2. Insert tooth picks in each round and arrange them attractively in a patter. 90g sliced green beans cooked 60g peas cooked oil for frying Method 1. 5. flour. . Simmer for 2-3 minutes.tender. Cut beef into 1 inch cubes. cooked and flaked ½ tsp salt 150g cooked rice 2 tbsp fish stock or water 1 egg. 3. Bring to boil. BEEF -VEGETABLE CURRY SAUCE 15g or 3 tsp margarine 1 carrot. parsley. Set aside. 4. grated ginger. wash well and cook in the margarine in heavy sauce pot till brown. Set aside. Stir well to get the beef and onion mixture to be evenly distributed. pealed and diced 1 small onion.Serve over the fish fingers or balls as appetizer. then turn down the heat very low and let the mixture simmer for about 1 hour or until meat is fork. FISH-RICE FINGERS IN TOMATO SAUCE l50g fish. cut each sausages into four or five rounds each. Add the onions and garlic and brown them lightly. cubed 2tsp curry paste salt and pepper to taste 3 fresh scent peppers. and salt. Heat. SAUSAGE ROUNDS 1 packet of beef sausages (10 pieces) Ketch-up Method Put sausage in a baking or grilling dish. When cooked. Add blended fish mixture. Transfer these into another stock pot and add the remaining ingredients. Serves 10-15.Heat the margarine in another pan and fry grated onion and green pepper lightly. 4. Serve as hors d’oeuvres. Remove the bay leaf and serve over noodles (indomie.End flaked end rice combined the egg chopped onion. chopped 15g/1 tbsp flour/corn starch 450ml beef stock Cooked beef/ chicken. about 2 tbsp of the oil for frying and fry the beef until they arc browned on all sides. spaghetti). slightly beaten 4 tbsp fish stock or water 1 tablsp chopped onion ½ medium gated onion ltbsp chopped parsley 2 tbsp / ¼ of green pepper chopped 1 tbsp flour ½ tsp hot pepper and grated ginger ½ can tomato puree salt to taste Veg oil for frying Method 1. Grill or bake at moderate heart till done (about 15 minutes). mixing well.Form or mold in to small fingers or small balls and fry in hot oil until golden brown.
curry pepper and I seasoning cube.Add the garlic. Push to one side of the pan. 2. Cut chicken into serving sizes and place in a sauce pan.32 2. cooked peas and beans and cook the sauce for 2 minutes.Remove chicken and sauce into a serving dish and sprinkle with chopped curry leaf to garnish as accomplishment to curried rice or potato chips.Heat the oil in a large frying pan and when hot add the margarine. 3. Set aside. Chop the shrimps into cubes. Add the chicken pieces and fry over moderate heat till brown. 5. tomatoes. Remove from heat and leave to cool. Add the beef stock. Add salt and steam for 10 minutes. 3. except the lettuce leaves. Cook slowly to soften. SHRIMPS COCKTAIL Lettuce leaves (one per person) 1 cup dressed and cooked shrimps 4 tbsp chopped celery 2tbsp mayonnaise ½ tsp lemon juice 1 tsp ketchup pinch hot red pepper Method 1. Make small nests of lettuce in cocktail glass or salad bowl and scoop the shrimp cocktail onto each. onion tomatoes and the other ingredients. diced . Sprinkle on the flour and cook till the margarine and onion are golden brown. 3. salt and oil. thinly sliced 5 tbsp margarine 1 fresh scent pepper. stirring constantly to prevent burning. Garnish with onion rings and tomato wedges. Place tomato and remaining ingredients except oil and salt in a food processor and blend well. thinly sliced 6 tbsp vegetable oil 1 sweet red pepper. Add the seasonings. Using the seasoned flour. Garnish with chopped parsley. in a bowl. 4. Serve over plain boiled rice or noodles.Prepare the onions. Coo k until tomatoes are softened. Melt the margarine in a medium saucepan and add the onion and carrots. 2. CURRIED PORK STEW 500g lean pork (in 2inch cubes) 4 large tomatoes.5kg broiler chicken 4 tomatoes. coat the cooled chicken pieces lightly. Top each with ketchup as sauce. basting frequently. Set aside. Method 1. finely chopped 1 tsp thyme I tsp grated garlic 100ml chicken or beef stock I tsp grated ginger salt to taste. Set a side. Flake excess flour off. GRILLED CHICKEN/TURKEY 2 chicken/turkey breasts ½ tsp hot red pepper 3 tbsp vegetable oil 1 tsp grated garlic I tsp white pepper 1 tsp grated ginger 2 tsp chicken seasoning 1 tsp curry 1 small onion. Put the chicken pieces in a pot and pour the blended ingredients over the chicken. Combine all the ingredients. 5.Mix flour with salt and pepper. TOMATO AND PEPPER FRIED CHICKEN 1. Grill each side till golden brown. chopped 1 small onion. seeded and diced 200g flour for dredging 1 green pepper. cook until thick. grated 1 large tomato Salt Method Cut chicken into 6 serving pieces. 4. salt. wash and drain. Now add the fried beef. Toss very well and steam for about 30 minutes or marinate for about 1 hour. Place chicken in a grill pan including the marinade and cook chicken for about 10 minutes on each side. Stir in l tsp ketchup and mix well. 6. peppers and curry leaf.
pepper and salt together. Method 1. They are served in a variety of dishes that may be used for lunch. supper and deserts. scrambled.Spread between two slices of bread and top each with two tomato slices to obtain 4 sandwiches in all. Season to taste. milk. Serve as a breakfast dish. . Serve as the protein dish with buttered bread. SHRIMP-SCRAMBLED EGG TOAST SANDWICH 150g cooked shrimps 2 tbsp chopped onion 6 tbsp chopped cucumber 4 tbsp mayonnaise 2 tomatoes sliced into 6 2 eggs (scrambled) Method 1. SCRAMBLED EGGS 2 eggs 2 table sp milk/water 1 ½ tabsp margarine Pinch of salt METHOD 1. Cook for 1 minute longer. Allow to set briefly and then/stir slowly with fork to let the egg turn into large pieces or lumps. Remove to a plate. Melt margarine in a small frying pan. prepared as omelettes and mainly served as breakfast and snack dishes. 2. 3. Gently beat eggs.Cover each sandwich and toast in the oven or a sandwich bread toaster. 2.Remove from heat and serve with plain boiled rice and sweet corn. 4. 3.Add more oil if necessary and onion. 2. covered. Heat the oil in a frying pan and brown and pork in two batches. To provide protein in meals To thicken sauces To garnish prepared foods To serve as raising agents for sponge cakes To glaze pastry Eggs can be fried. EGGS Eggs are used. Cut into bread triangles for appetizers/snack or serve as sandwich for breakfast dish. Cook slowly for about 20-30 minutes. 4. remove the bay leaf and add green pepper. Heat the margarine and pour into mixture. curry tomatoes and paste.Cut pork into cubes. Serve with cucumber salad in addition.2tbsp vegetable oil 1 large onion (in 2 inch pieces) 1 large green pepper (in 2 inch cubes) 1 ½ tsp curry powder 1 ½ tsp grated ginger 1 bay leaf 33 3 tbsp tomato paste/puree 140m1 beef stock 1 tbsp vinegar salt and pepper to taste 1 seasoning cube 1 avocado pear. chopped shrimps/scrambled egg and mayonnaise in a bowled. poached.Bring the mixture to boil and add fried port. Stirring in beef stock/water and vinegar and add bay leaf. Garnish with avocado dices tossed over the stew. 5. Chopped onion and green pepper can be added. wash and leave to drain.When meat is completely cooked. using a wooden spoon.Combine the onion cucumber. diced. Remove and place a plate. 3. Mix well.
SCRAMBLED EGGS WITH FISH
1 tbsp melted margarine 1 cup flaked cooked fish (tuna or sardine) 6 eggs, beaten 1 tbsp water Salt and pepper to taste 1 ½ green pepper, (chopped) 1 small onion, chopped 2 tbsp margarine 6 slices bread (toasted) 6 grilled sausages
1.Heat margarine in a frying pan. Drain the fish, bread into small pieces and sauté in the margarine. Beat eggs very well, and add the onion and green pepper to the fish. 2.Add the 2 tbsp margarine and four beaten eggs over fish and stir slowly with wooden spoon or fork. When eggs are cooked, removed from heat. 3.Serve with buttered toasted bread with grilled sausage by scrambled eggs. FOLDED OMELETS 2 eggs Pinch of salt. 2 tbsp. Margarine/.veg. Oil
Method 1.Beat eggs and use a non-sticky fly pan or heat small margarine in frying pan. 2.Pour 1/3 of beaten eggs into center of frying pan and let spread to bottom of pan. Do not stir. 3.Let the underside get slightly brown then flip over for the other side to get brown. 4.Place flat on plate and fill with mixture of fried onion tomato and corned beef like pancakes. 5.Roll up the omelettes like crepes and garnish with tomato slice. 6.Serve with bread in a breakfast dish. Makes 3 omelette. Omelettes can be filled with jam or fried mixed vegetables. CORNED BEEF AND TOMATO OMELETTE 3 tbsp corned beef ½ green pepper, seeded and diced ½ a medium onion 2 fresh scent peppers, diced parsley to garish 3 tbsp margarine 1-2 tomato, seeded and diced 3 eggs, beaten Salt to taste Method 1. Portion the ingredients into three parts-one for each egg. Heat a medium/small frying pan and melt the margarine for portion. 2. Add a portion of the onion and green pepper and cook briefly to soften. 3. Mix the tomato and corned beef with one beaten egg, salt and scent pepper. 4. Pour into the pan with the onion and green pepper and stir gentle to mix all the ingredients. 5. Cook until the egg is set lightly brown use flat spoon to remove from heat. Repeat the same method of the remaining two eggs and other ingredients. 6. Garnish with parsley leaves or tomato wedges. FRIED EGGS 1 egg per person 2 tbsp margarine Method 1. Melt a little fat in a frying pan. 2. Break each washed egg directly into a saucer and slid into the slightly heated fat. This is carefully done for yoke to remain intact. 3. Season with salt or pepper sprinkle on the egg and cook gently without stirring until lightly set. Do not turn the egg. 4. Remove from -heat and serve half-cooked on a plate or flat dish. Garnish with fried tomato slices and serve as breakfast or topping on rice dishes.
BRAISED BEEF 400g steak beef I medium onion 2 tbsp parsley chopped ½ tsp salt ½ tsp pepper 1 seasoning cube 500ml water 3 tbsp vegetable oil ½ tsp thyme ½ tsp curry ½ tsp grated ginger
Method 1. Cut up the beef, wash properly and set aside. 2. Mix the beef, onion and the other ingredients in a bowl. 3. Heat oil in a sauce pot over medium heat. 4. Spread beef mixture all over the bottom of the pot. 5. 5 Cook until beef is brown. Turning frequently with wooden spatula for about 10-15 minutes. 6. Reduce heat, stir in the water Cover the pot and cook until beef is tender and water is almost absorbed. Serve with herb rice or oven jollof rice. CHICKEN AND RICE WITH CURRY SAUCE ½ Cut-up broiler chicken 100g flour 2 tbsp soy sauce/maggi/meat seasoning 1 cup cooked peas 2 tsp grated ginger 3 cups cooked rice ½ tsp pepper curry sauce 1 avocado pear (for garnishing) Method 1. Cut the boiler into serving pieces. Mix the meat seasoning or soy sauce, ginger and pepper into chicken. 2. Steam chicken for about 15 minutes, turning occasionally for seasoning to be absorbed. 3. Remove from heat, refrigerate to cook for about 1 hour, (marinating). 4. Heat the oil in a fry pan. Remove the chicken, reserving the marinade (extracts from the streamed chicken). Cook chicken in the hot oil till brown. 5. Mix the cooked rice, peas and the reserved marinade. Cover and cook for 5 minutes: Serve With curry sauce over chick en. Garnish rice with avocado pear slices. POACHED EGGS 4 fresh eggs 1 firm tomato ¼ tsp salt 1 tbsp white vinegar
Method 1. Boil water to a simmering temperature in a shallow frying pan. 2. Wash eggs very well and keep aside. 3. Add the white vinegar to the boiling to make the white more tender and prevent it from spreading when the egg is place in the simmering water. 4. Now carefully break the eggs one by one into a sauce and into the simmering water in separate position. 5. Simmer for approximately 2-3 minutes until lightly set. 6. Remove carefully from water using a perforated spoon sections for water to drain off. Sprinkle the salt on the poached eggs and garnish with tomato for water to drain off. Chapter Four CEREALS Cereals are basically important far their fibre, protein, B-vitamins, calories and iron content. They are a major source of protein in vegetarian diets. A significant component of cereal is starch. This accounts for the swelling that make place in cereal when these’ are cooked. Various types of cereals are available for use in meal preparation and they vary in their characteristics, taste, cooking times and yield. Maize, wheat oats and ride, are among the most commonly eaten cereals. Maize is world’s third most important cereal and popularly known as com. It is available in fresh or dried forms. It can be prepared as main dishes snacks or side dishes. Maize can be obtained in processed or ready to cook form. When using corn or maize, ensure that they are well shelled from the cob and that the kernels are bright
and plumpy Com starch is available for use to thicken sauces and breakfast meals. Rice is available in regular and parboil forms. It is basically carbohydrate but has little protein and contains some amount of thiamine and mineral. It is the worlds second most important grain. Rice, like other cereals, increase about three times in volume during cooking because it has the ability to absorb moisture. In cooking rice one measure of regular rice requires about two and half measures of liquid. The parboiled variety requires more while the pre cooked type requires less liquid. The long grains are less likely to sick together during cooking than the short. A small amount of oil ( ½ teasp oil to 3 cup of rice) added to the cooking water will prevent the rice from sticking, foaming and boiling over. Rice may be cooked in the oven or on surface cooker. Wheat is a major grain from which flour, breakfast cereals and pasta products are produced. Cereals and pasta products (Macaroni, spaghetti, and noodles) are processed and enriched and made ready-to- eat or partially cooked. MACARONI WITH CHILI 300g ground beef 1 large onion 1 large green pepper, chopped 4 fresh tomatoes chopped ½ can kidney beans 4 fresh chili pepper sliced 1 tsp grated garlic 2-3 stalks celery or leeks 2 seasoning cubes 1 small can tomato puree 1 pack uncooked elbow macaroni 2-4 tsp groundred pepper ¼ tsp paprika 1 tsp salt 6 tbsp vegetable oil 1 tsp grated ginger ½ tsp curry
Method 1. Cook macaroni, drain and set aside. Heat the oil in a sauce pan and stir beef and onion. Cook until beef and onion are brown. 2. Stir in tomatoes, beans and with the liquid and the remaining ingredients. Heat to boiling and reduce heat. 3. Stir in the cooked macaroni, cover the pot and simmer. Stir constantly till macaroni is tender about 5-10 minutes. Serve hot. FRIED RICE 2 cups uncooked long grain rice 2 cups chicken broth/stock 2 cups water. 4 tbsp. Marg./veg. Oil 2 tsp. salt 2 tsp. soy sauce 3 gloves garlic- minced 2 tsp. chopped ginger 3 large carrots-diced ½ can cooked peas 1 large onion, sliced or chopped 4 green pepper-chopped 1 tsp. curly 1 tsp. thyme 2 seasoning cubes 200g liver-cooked, diced and fried 2 stalks celery
Assorted vegetable-diced and parboiled carrots, sliced cabbage, chopped green beans, sliced green tomatoes, chopped red pepper. Shrimps cleaned and parboiled. Method 1. Put the washed rice into a saucepan. 2. Add chicken broth, minced garlic, ginger and seasoning cube and let it be cooked but not soft or sticky. 3. When cooked, remove from heat and set aside. In a large, frying pan, put margarine or oil and onion slices and green pepper. Cook these lightly. Add cabbage, cooked peas and carrots, celery and remaining salt. Stir fry for 5 minutes. 4. Add the diced and fried liver, shrimps and rice alternately. 5. Add the soy sauce a little at a time, stirring constantly. 6. Stir fry for 5-6 minutes till all soy sauce is well distributed. 7. Rice should have pleasing colour with assorted vegetables. Keep in warm oven uncovered if not served immediately. Serve with spiced or curried thicken. Makes 6 servings.
Sort./veg. green pepper. Remove front heat immediately and pour the vegetables over the cooked rice. 5. Method 1. soy sauce. Slice the onion and cut green pepper in long strips. sliced. Chop tomatoes into large cubes. Heat the 3 tbsp vegetable oil and stir-fry the onion slices celery. Serve warm with braised beef and suitable sauce. 4. peas and carrots. celery. Add the rice and fry (3 minutes) with the onion until the raw rice is lightly golden brown in colour. Rice should be firm and non-sticky when cooked. curry and garlic. chilli pepper. 6. Leave it to-drain and dry a little bit. CURRIED RICE 2 cups uncooked rice 5 cups water 2 tsp curry 1 small can peas/cut green beans 2 chicken seasoning cube 2 carrots shredded/diced 4 tbsp vegetable oil/margarine ½ tsp white pepper salt to taste 1 medium chopped onion 1 tsp chopped garlic 4 red chill peppers. In a fry pan.37 SPICY RICE PILAF 2 cups long grain rice (uncooked) 2 cups chicken/beef stock 2 cups water 4-5 tbsp. Crush the seasoning cubes and add to the rice. Toss the rice and vegetable well and simmer for 3 minutes. mushrooms and carrots. Put the rice meal in a baking dish and the fried liver chunks on lop. Marg. wash and cook rice with the chicken broth or water for about 30 minutes. peas and fresh curry leaf and pepper) and heat for 2 minutes. Season with curry salt and pepper and mix together. Wash rice and place in a sauce pot. Oil 2 stalk sleeks / Ginger and garlic (I tsp each) 2 tbsp curry leaf ½ bay leaf I seasoning cube I large onion sliced I tsp curry ½ can peas 4 small fresh pepper Method 1. seasoning. 2. 4. 3. Pour the water over the rice and season with white pepper. Fry the liver chunks lightly and set aside. green beans arid carrots lightly 5. Add the cooked rice. 2. In a large frying pan. 6. 3. OVEN FRIED RICE 3 cups uncooked long grain rice 6 cups of chicken broth/water I large onion sliced 15 medium chunks for liver (cooked) 1 ½ tsp white pepper 2 large carrots 1 large green peppers 2 stems spring onion 1 stem celery 1 tsp soy sauce I tsp curry ¼ cap or lean peas 2 ripe but firm tomatoes salt to taste 3 tbsp soy or veg. tomatoes and spring onion. flake for 20 minutes and serve warm with curry sauce. Chop the spring onion. Pour into a sauce pan or baking dish. salt to taste and cook on top of cooker or oven till rice is cooked. Serves 8-10. . put oil or margarine and onion slices and fry lightly (5 minutes). Stir into the cooked rice. 5. 2. heat the remaining oil and fry the onion. Oil oil for flying liver Method 1. Stir in one tbsp of the vegetable oil each for salt and proceed to cook for about 20 minutes. This may be served immediately with grilled fish and white sauce. Sort and wash rice. 4. Add the beef stock. Makes 8 servings. salt. Stir in vegetables (leeks. celery. 3.
7. Serve with fried fish or beef and steamed leafy vegetable as a side dish. remaining spices and the chopped veg and peas 7. Pour in the beef/broth water. Wash rice and let it drain of 2. Steam for 10 minutes. ORIENTAL NOODLES 225g noodles (spaghetti. Set aside. . Toss in 1 tbsp of the oil to prevent sticking. stirfrying for about 5 minutes without browning. Cover the pot and steam for about 2 minutes. Bring to boil and add the rice and the seasonings. Serves 8-10. Leave to drain dry. 4. Serve immediately with grilled beef. 3. sliced METHOD 1. Remove from heat an serve hot garnished with tomato wedges or egg slices. 2. JOLLOF RICE 3 cups uncooked rice 4 large fresh tomatoes 3 medium fresh hot peppers ½ tsp top ginger ½ tsp chopped garlic ½ tsp thyme 1 large onion 3 tbsp margarine 150ml vegetable oil 6 cups beef broth/water 2 seasoning cubes ½ tsp curry salt to taste Method 1. 3. 4. 2. Boil water and place the vegetable in the salted water. Add the beef stock or brown seasoning cube.38 BRAISED RICE 3 cups uncooked rice 6 cups chicken stock or beef 1 large onion-chopped 1 green pepper-seeded and chopped 2 tsp white pepper Salt to taste 2 stalks leeks 100g cooked kidney beans 1 seasoning cube 3 carrots-diced or grated 2 tsp grated ginger 2 tsp grated garlic 1 tsp curry 1 can green peas 6 tbsp vegetable oil or margarine Method 1. 3. Sort. Reserve one tomato and one pepper and grind the remaining ones. curry. stir in any 6. Mix well and add margarine when almost cooked. 6. diagonally sliced 4 tbsp soy sauce 2tsp curry 225g sliced cabbage sliced salt to taste 2 stalks leeks/celery flesh prawns (optional) 1 onion. Steam for about 20 minutes till liquid is almost absorbed. Moi-rnoi and fried ripe plantain chips can he used as side dishes as well. Heat the vegetable oil in a sauceboat and fry part of the slice onion and ground ingredients lightly. wash rice and set aside to drain.medium heat. Slice the onion and chop the remaining tomato and pepper. curry and salt and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in sliced tomatoes. 5. cover the pan and cook gently for about 25-30 minutes on surface cooker or oven without stirring. Drain well and rinse under hot water to remove starch. pepper and onion rings. Cook the rice in the fat ova. Toss the vegetables in the pan continuously. Stir in the tomato paste and cook till sauce is almost dehydrated. salt and white pepper. Toss in the cooked noodles and heat through. 4. Blanch for 2 minutes and drain from the hot water. Combine the soy sauce. 5. Cook the noodles in boiling salted water for about 4-5 minutes. 5. Stir well. peeled and sliced 4 red chiIli pepper. 6. Heat a frying pan and add the vegetable. Heat the oil or margarine in a saucepan raid add the washed rice. macaroni noodles etc) 5 tbsp vegetable oil 2 garlic clove (grated) 4 green peppers. thinly sliced 4 carrots. As the rice is getting tender without being soft.
4. ground fresh tomato and pepper to make a sauce. chicken cube. curry. Stir in the tomato paste and cook for 5 minutes stirring frequently. Cook and stir the beef in the vegetable oil until golden brown. cover and cook in the oven. Stir in the rice and heat to boiling. 7.39 HERB RICE PILAF 3 cups long grain rice 1 tsp grated garlic 6 cups boiling water 1 tsp grated ginger Pinch salt/or to taste ½ tsp curry Chopped fresh herbs (parsley. Remove from heat and set aside. soy sauce and salt to taste. When melted. nutmeg etc). . add the washed rice over medium heat. Cover the pan and cook gently for about 25 minutes without stirring. stirring constantly. curry leaf. chicken stock. Now add the water. When the rice is light brown. 5. 3. 6. margarine and seasonings (ginger. 2. CURRIED BEEF AND RICE CASSEROLE 3 cups uncooked long grain rice 1 medium onion 1 instant chicken seasoning cube 3 tbsp vegetable oil 2 medium stalks celery (diagonally sliced) 1 tbsp margarine (chopped) 2 tbsp soy sauce 2 cups cut-up cooked beef (l inch pieces) 6 cup boiling water 1 medium green pepper 2 carrots (diced) salt to taste l00g cooked peas 1 medium sweet red pepper Method 1. Heat to boiling. 4. till rice is getting tender. until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed (add small amount of water if necessary to make rice well cooked. spring onion etc) I tsp dried and crushed bay leaf 2 stalks of leeks 1 cup beef or chicken stock 2 stalks celery 2 Chicken seasoned cubes 2 tbsp margarine 4 medium green chilli pepper sliced 1 large spring onion 4 tbsp vegetable oil Method 1. Wash rice and set aside. fried beef carrots. Stir in water. Heat the foil in saucepan and add the margarine. 3. Wash rice in cook water and leave to drain. Stirring gently. until the rice is getting tender. Cover and leave to steam about 3 minutes and serve garnished with eggs and braised beef or grilled fish. green spring onion. 5. leeks. Stir in the green and red pepper. celery and cook covered for 5 minutes. 4. Serve garnished with green and sweet red pepper. Add finely chopped herbs (parsley onion. SPANISH (OVEN JOLLOF) RICE 3 cups uncooked regular rice 1 medium onion (sliced) 6 cups water 3 cubes chicken seasoning cube I tsp curry powder ½ tsp ground ginger 1 tin tomato paste 1 green pepper chopped 1 tsp salt 1 tsp ground nutmeg 3 tbsp vegetable oil 1 tbsp margarine 4 fresh tomatoes 4 fresh red/chilli peppers 2 stalk celery chopped Method 1. 5. seasoning cube. then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. salt and pinch white pepper. Stir in the rice. Pour into a baking dish. 3. salt. 2. 6. 2. Place vegetable oil in a saucepan and fry the onion. margarine and onion into the remaining oil over medium heat until rice is lightly brown. add the water. bay leaf. and green chili pepper.
Serve hot on a flat dish. Method 1. 2. 5. Simmer for 10 minutes and serve hot. sugar. 7. Roil the shrimps in a little bit of water. Makes 10 Servings. 4. 3. Season with salt and seasoning cube. Heat oil. COCONUT RICE 1 ½ large coconut flesh 3 cups short grain rice (uncooked) 8 cups of water 3 large fresh red peppers (chopped) 1 tin sardine/fried fish 1 seasoning cube salt to taste 10 large prawns-fried Method 1. Add rice to the boiling liquid. green pepper and celery. filter and squeeze out all the liquid from the grated coconut mixture. Cover pot and cook for about 45 minutes or until rice is soft and moist. Blend well for mixture to mix well. FRIED CORN CAKES 2 cups dry corn 200m1 water ½ tsp. Ground corn into fine crumbs. Remove from oil. Pound in a mortar and use the water to get juice from the fruits. broth of the shrimps and arrange the shrimps over the thick top of the rice. Place corn pepper. 6. Discard the chaff and pour the coconut milk into a pot. Serves 10. Fry until slightly brown. 2. Top with sardines or fried fish/liver/prawns and garnish with tomato slices. 4. Put into a pot and heat to boiling. POPPING CORN 6 tbsp popcorn Salt 3 tsp vegetable oil Sugar (optional) Method 1. 4. Stir uniformly into the rice. Stir in the chopped fresh pepper. Cook the palm fruits until they are soft. Cook over a medium heat. wash the rice. mold mixture into small balls and drop into hot oil. 2. Stir in the peas. Continue stirring for the corn to he properly popped and cooked. Put oil in a pot and place the corn in the pot 2. Blend in the palm oil. 3. sprinkle immediately with sugar or salt and leave to cool. 5. stirring until the corn starts cracking and bring about the white fluffy part. Wash and grate coconut into fine flakes. ground pepper pinch salt 1 tbsp sugar 4 tbsp palm oil Vegetable oil for frying Method 1. Season with about 1 teaspoon salt and add the dry or chopped fresh pepper. Heat the milk and bring to boil. 4. PALM JUICE (BANGA) RICE 800g or ¼ basket palm fruits 3 cups of short grain rice 10 cups water 1 seasoning cube 15 large fresh shrimps/prawns 1 ½ ground pepper/2 fresh pepper salt to taste 1 medium onion Method 1. Put in a bowl and add all the water. seasoning cube and Onion.40 6. 3. Using a fine sieve. Mix well and continue cooking for about 45 minutes or until rice is soft and uniformly moistened 6. salt and water in a boil. Remove from heat. drain and serve with coconut as snack. . chop the fresh pepper and onion and clean the shrimps. Wash rice and add to the boiling milk. Meanwhile. Wash rice in hot water to remove some starch. Remove from heat and serve hot. 3.
Cook and leave to cool. Sprinkle a little water over the foo-foo and cover the pot for 2 minutes to allow the foo-foo to be thoroughly cooked. 2. 4. Chop the peppers and onion and set aside. celery. Cook over medium heat for 5minutcs. margarine and chopped parsley. Add 2 tablespoons palm oil and mix well until the oil binds the corn mixture. 6. 6. 7. Meanwhile. Stir the corn well and drop mixture in small spoonfuls into the deep hot fat fry till golden brown. leeks and green pepper 5. agbono or mixed vegetable soup. Mix part of the water and 250g of the plantain flour to form a paste in a bowl. Serve hot with spicy fried chicken and cucumber salad as a main dish. Continue to stir vigorously until the foo-foo is thick and begins to leave the sides of the pot. Use a wooden spoon to stir in the plantain flour mixture into remaining boiling. 3. Stir in the remaining plantain flour a little at a time for the foo-foo to be evenly mixed. Remove any fat from liver and chop or grate into small bits. Combine all the ingredients except palm oil in a mortar or place in a blender and grind coarsely. Wash and clean liver. Stir very well to avoid lumping in the foo-foo. Stir in the cooked sweet corn. Boil the 6 cups of water. PLANTAIN FLOUR FOO-FOO (AMALA) 500g plantain flour 750rnl water Method 1. Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Note: Prepare corn foo-foo. Cook rice with stock and salt to taste. melon-vegetable. Heat vegetable oil to faint smoking point. clop onions. LIVER RICE PILAF 3 cups uncooked rice 6 cups (1 ½ litre) beef stock 6 tbsp vegetable oil Salt and white pepper 1 seasoning cube 1 kg beef/chicken liver 1 stalk leeks 1 stalk celery 1 green pepper 2 medium onions 2tbsp grated garlic METHOD 1. FRESH CORN FRITTERS 3 fresh corn cobs 1 onion Vegetable oil for deep frying salt to taste 2 fresh peppers 2 tbsp palm oil Method 1. Serve onto a flat dish and top with curried pork stew or tomato and pepper fried chicken sauce. Stir very well all over and turn into a dish. 4. Shell the corn and wash well. Heat the water to boiling in a pot. DOUGHNUT AND SANDWICHES . fluffing up to loosen the rice grains. 4. Keep stirring for 2 minutes. rice and yam flour foo-foo as in plantain. 5. 2. add the grated liver. Noted: 1 tablespoon sugar may be added to sweeten the fritters. 5. Remove rice from heat if tender but not soft. Stir in the cooked rice. Cover pot and boil until cooked hut grain are separate. 4.41 2. 3. Season to taste of necessary and heat through for about 3 minutes. Serve warm with ewedu. 3. stirring gently. Drain and serve with coconut as snacks. added salt and sprinkle the clean rice in the boiling water. seasonings and chopped vegetables. 2. Chapter Five BREAD. 3.
Bread is completely baked when it has gain the light brown colour and has shrunk from the side of the pan. If liquid milk is to be used. The dough can be baked or fried. Bake in pre-heated oven for 40 minutes. Yeast is the raising agent and it grows best in lukewarm water. Proof for another 15 minutes. Knead the dough. 3. 5. remove from pan unto wire racks to cool. A variety of fillings can be used. Bread loaves are baked in high temperature (about -4500 degrees) and may be painted or glazed with egg wash or milk immediately before baking. Makes 4 loaves. Method 1. eggs and milk than the plain bread. Doughnuts and bread rolls are sweet doughs that contain yeast and are richer in sugar. Doughnuts and rolls should have good shape and colour and the texture must be smooth and light. Then the mixture is combined with the remainder of the ingredients and second fermentation is allowed. moist and tender in texture. sugar and fat. Kneading is important for the yeast to be distributed and allow the development of carbon dioxide for adequate fermentation. Nutmeg and other flavoring can be added to bread to improve flavor. After 1 hour shape into a round loaf and place in well greased pans. 3. If the temperature of the water is too high. Dry milk is more often used. 5. They are made from flour. yeast. Soften the yeast in lukewarm water. 6. The dough should be allowed to proof for at least 1 hour or until the until dough is double or triple its original size. fat and dissolved yeast. Dissolve yeast. 4. Milk is used in some bread mixture in lace of water to increase the nutritive value. it should be sealed first to prevent the enzymes in it from reducing the fermentation process. 2. fat. while low temperature retards the fermentation process. Therefore some quantity of granulated sugar should be added to yeast when dissolving yeast. With the sponge method. Stir or knead every fifteen minutes. blend remaining sugar. Knead again on floured board until smooth and elastic. Cover and put in a warm place for hour. the yeast will be destroyed. Fat is used to soften and lubricate the dough. WHOLE WHEAT BREAD 500grams whole wheat flour 2 ½ tsp yeast 1 tbsp sugar 2 tbsp (30 grams) margarine ½ tsp salt 250m1 warm water . Cover with a slightly wet towel in a warm place. PLAIN BREAD 500g flour 2 ½ tsp thy yeast 250ml lukewarm water 60g (4 tablespoon) margarine/Oil 100g (5-6 tbsp) sugar ½tsp salt METHOD 1. When dissolving yeast ensure that lukewarm water is used. part of the flour. aid fermentation and contribute to the colour. Weigh and measure all the ingredients set aside. Combine margarine. In a large bowl. Let rise till dough is well risen above the pan edges (double or three time size). When baked. salt. Add dissolved yeast to flour and mix the mixture to a soft dough. Yeast bread may be mixed in one of the basic ways: The straight dough method entails all the ingredients are mixed at one time and the sponge method consists of two mixing and two fermentation processes. Shape into loaves and place in well greased pans. Knead lightly and keep covered for 10-15 minutes.42 Bread are loaves made of soft doughy that are leavened with yeast. Gradually add the flour to make a stiff dough. Sugar is used to sweeten bread and to aid the process of fermentation. roast bread should be soft. Bake until golden brown. water or other moisture. sugar and salt in warm water. Reserve 2 tbsp flour for kneading. 7. yeast. 2. Salt can be added to yeast bread to contribute to flavour and aid elasticity and firming of the dough. milk and flour in a bowl. add half of the sugar and cover for about 10 minutes till the yeast is dissolved and starts rising in bubbles. 4. More yeast is often used but they require the same fermentation or proofing process. Allow to m for 10 minutes. sugar and fat are mixed and allowed to ferment.
3. 6. Mix and knead thoroughly till smooth and non-sticky to the hands 6. Cover and proof it a warm place until double in size. Shape into balls. 2. Leave to proof in a warm place for another 20-30 minutes. 5.43 Method 1. 4. Brush top lightly with egg wash and bake at 3000 or gas mark 3. Dissolve the yeast and sugar in the warm water. 8. Mix well without kneading. Place in a greased bowl and grease top of dough. Cover and let it rise for about 5 minutes. Add yeast (now in bubbles ) and beaten eggs to the mixture. Add the dissolved yeast and I mix in the beaten egg. Makes 15 rolls. Sieve the flour and salt into a bowl and rub in the fat. Dissolve yeast in lukewarm water. Bake in a moderately pre-heated oven for 30-40 minutes. Add flour. Knead again slightly on a floured board and place in a greased bread loaf pan with cover or shape into balls in any baking pan. BREAD ROLLS (DINNER ROLLS) 700gs flour 3 ½ tsp dry yeast 1½ tspsalt 50-l00gs sugar 2 beaten eggs 200gs margarine 300m1 warm water or milk ½ tsp nutmeg Method 1. Process whole wheat grains into flour or purchase whole w heat flour. 2. 2. YEAST DOUGHNUT 300 grams flour 4-6 tbsp sugar . Mix the flour and the rest ingredients. Combine salt. Dissolve the yeast and sugar with the warm milk. Grease a medium-sized cake pan and fill the dough into the pan. punch down. 6. nutmeg currants and milk together. Note: Whole wheat bread is usually heavy. fat and whole meal flour in a bowl and set aside. Cover and let rise for about 20 minutes. 5. Cover and let rise (5minutes) 3. Mix sugar. Method 1. Place the bowl of dough in a warm place to rise for about 30 minutes. Mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon to obtain a soft dough. LEMON BREAD (COFFEE/TEA CAKE) 3 tbsp margarine 1 tsp baking powder ½ tsp salt 125m1 milk 50gs sugar 1 ½ tsp lemon juice 2 eggs grated rind of 1 lemon 300gs flour ½ tsp nutmeg YEAST DOUGH CAKE 450gs flour 1 tbsp grated lemon and l00gs margarine orange rind l00gs sugar ½ tsp grated nutmeg 2 eggs pinch of salt 2 tsp dry yeast 75-80m1 warm milk 50gs currants. 4. Place a warm place to rise till double in size (5045 minutes). salt. soften than that of plain bread. 3. 5. Place each in well greased queen’s cake pans.for 15-20 minutes. 8. Gradually stir in the yeast mixture into the whole meal and fat mixture. Turn out on lightly floured surface knead and shape dough into inches wide squares of about 2 inch thickness. Pre-heat oven and bake for 30-40 minutes after reducing the heat. 7. reserving 4 tbsp. 7. A mixed whole meal bread can be made to be lighter by using half plain flour and half whole wheat flour. 4.
9. Sieve the flour. 1-leat vegetable oil to faint smoking and fry doughnuts a few at a time until that are golden brown and ate well cooked. 3. Mold back each carefully to seal the hole. Then place dough in heated deep oil and fry until golden brown. Place them on a greased tray and cover with thin polythene. Turn dough into a flavored board and knead briefly. 2. Add beaten eggs. 8. 6. Tack each firmly with lightly wet fingers. Serve as snack or tea dainty. Ad vanilla and mix well. 5. Knead lightly. Add the melted margarine. sugar. BAKING POWDER DOUGHNUT 1egg 50 grams granulated sugar 75 grams melted margarine 2 ½ tsp baking powder 300 grams sifted flour 1 tsp vanilla 75ml milk/water ½ tsp salt 50g sifted flour (for rolling) 1 ½ tbsp powdered milk Method 1. Deep fry the doughnuts till golden brown and drain off fat. strawberry etc) vegetable oil for deep frying Method 1. about 1 tsp in each hole. Add the dissolved yeast and gradually mix in flour into a smooth dough. prepare the dough according to the instructions for preparation. roll ot dough to Y2 inch thickness and cut out round shapes. Let dough rise for another 40 minutes or till double in size. . 5. Ferment yeast in half of the warm water. 2. salt and nutmeg into a bowl and rub in the margarine. Press a floured thumb into each doughnut and add a little jam. 4. Heat the vegetable oil in a deep frying pot to a moderate temperature. cover and allow to prove until double in size. Gather mixture lightly and set aside for 1 0 minutes. 4. Place them on a well-floured tray. Roll out to floured board 1 or inch thickness. Combine milk and flour. (See pp). Sift the &y ingredients together and add to egg mixture. 4. 3. Using a round cutter. 5. 3. 4. JAM FILLED DOUGHNUTS Basic doughnut recipe fruit jam (pineapple. Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and pour in the fermented yeast and remaining warm water. 2. Roll doughnuts in a tray containing sugar. 7. In a bowl mix margarine and the remaining warm water. salt and nutmeg. ensuring that the heat is not too high or too low. Beat dough with the hand and knead thoroughly till dough is smooth and moderately soft. Add milk and mux. 1 . Place in a warm place to rise till double in size. Add one tbsp sugar to facilitate fermentation of the yeast. 3. Roll the cooked doughnut on granulated or icing sugar. Slightly beat eggs in mixing bowl. Leave in a warm place to prove until they are well risen (double in size) 6. Cut with doughnut cutter that has a hole at the centre and place in a greased tray to proof. add sugar and mix thoroughly. Divide the dough into round doughnut shapes without hole al the centre.. Dissolve the yeast in half of the warm water. Take the basic doughnut recipe. 2. . ECONOMY YEAST DOUGHNUT 500g flour 2 ½ tsp dry yeast 50g margarine 250m1 warm water 1 tsp salt 1 tsp nutmeg 100g sugar oil for deep frying Method 1. Drain off an roll them in sugar if desired. to the mixture add to mixture.44 1 ½ tsp dry yeast 3 tbsp margarine 1 egg 3-4 tbsp dry milk 85m1 warm water ½ tsp nutmeg vegetable oil for deep frying Method 1.
6. salad and various types of food. 2. Makes 20 doughnuts. In using fillings. BEEF BURGER 400 grams minced beef 4 large firm tomatoes (sliced) ½ medium chopped onion 2 tsp salt Pinch curry and thyme (optional) 1 tsp melted margarine 8 dinner rolls (small round bread) mayonnaise 2 eggs 4 tbsp bread crumbs . Avoid making very large sizes. CROISSANTS 500g flour 2 ½ tsp yeast 2 tbsp sugar 2 small eggs 1-2 sachet powdered milk 100ml warm water 100g soft margarine Method 1. SANDWICHES Sandwiches are meals that arc made of regular or special bread. Knead to elastic-like texture. Handle gently. Cut into 4-6 inches of the base of the triangle to form a crescent. Also do not use filling that can soak the bread. 2. sardines. 8. 4. Mix thoroughly into a soft. 3.45 5. There are four basic considerations in making sandwiches: a) The Bread: This is the most important item used and can be from any type of bread. Combine sardine and blend with remaining ingredients to desired consistency. Place in a greased pan proof till double in size and brush with egg wash before placing in preheated oven to bake for 20-30 minutes. Party or tea sandwiches should be in small triangular sizes. They may be filled or spread with a variety of items such as meat. c) Method of preparation: 13e careful in handling the items by maintaining proper sanitation. When dough is ready for proofing. Rub in the margarine. especially when some items have to be chopped or mixed up. Corned beef or chopped egg can be used as alternative. Drain and mash sardines. When sandwich is planned for lunch. smooth and pliable dough. 6. Fry in hot deep fat until golden brown on both sides. egg and almost the remaining water or as needed to obtain correct consistency of dough. Add the dissolved yeast. Sandwiches may be served hot or cold. ensure that proper temperature is maintained in order to protect the food from becoming contaminated. Keep them covered and use as tea sandwich. Roll out on floured board to inch thickness and cut with doughnut cutter. Vegetables like lettuce tomato and onion slices may be added. 4. 7. with or without sauce such as (salad cream. roll out into ¼ inch thickness. closed or multi-layered. boiled or fried egg. ketchup or mustard cream). 5. Drain off fat and roll in granulated sugar or top with favorite icing. jams and other spreads. Day old bread is usually preferable. Mix all the siffed dry ingredients together in a small bowl. jam. it should be attractively arranged. SARDINE CANAPE 1 can of sardine 1 ½ tsp grated onion 10 slices of buttered bread triangles 90 grams or 6 tbsp margarine pinch ground ginger Method 1. Dissolve yeast in half of the warm water. b) The filling can be made from meat. Spread on crackers or toasted bread triangles. fish. Add some currants/fruits if available before folding into crescent shapes. 3. corned beef. d) A garnish should be added to a sandwich when it is ready to be served. the bread cam be sliced before or cut after filling if necessary.
4. In order to produce good quality cakes. adequate size of pan and baking temperature. 2. All ingredients must be at room temperature when mixing cakes. Toss well.46 Method 1. 6.. BATTERS AND PASTRIES cakes are batter products of flour mixtures that contain fat. In addition. The cake must be baked in a well greased pan for easy removal when baked. even in colour and firm. spread ½ teaspoon mayonnaise on the meat. There are four basic method of mixing cakes 1. Don’t over mix the mixture after flour has been added or else the batter will be rubbery. In choosing mixing method. sticky or crumbly. Mix well and shape the beef mixture into patties (round shape of same diameters as the bread ½ inch thickness) 3. sides of pan when baked. without cracks or large holes: The centre should not fall in but the cakes should shrink lightly from . Also. sugar. fruit upside down or carrot cake. large cakes must be level at the top. Small cakes like queen cake . beaten eggs and milk are beaten together to blend thoroughly. Regular bread slices can also be used. The flour mixture and milk are added to the cream mixture and set aside. In a separate bowl. The mixture is well beaten till light and foamy after which the dry ingredients (flour. Pure sponge cake uses only egg whites. sugar and flour in addition to flavorings. chopped ½ tsp pepper Salt to taste 3 tbsp mayonnaise 6-8 rolls (small oblong bread) margarine Method 1. the melted margarine.15minutes. Beaten eggs.15 minutes. the equipment available. baking powder and salt) are folded into the creamed mixture. 2. Combine all ingredients except mayonnaise and the bread. BAKED FISH SANDWICH (Oblong Rolls) 300 grams cooked fish ¼ green pepper chopped ½ onion. 2. Pastry-blend or rubbing in method involves blending of fat and flour together. 5. The creaming method involves the creaming of fat and sugar with electric mixer or wooden spoon till the mixture is light and fluffy. Examples are queen cakes. All other ingredients which includes eggs and milk are added and beaten thoroughly till beaten thoroughly ill smooth. it is essential recipes and use proper ingredients appropriate method of mixing. cakes. An examples of this type is chiffon or feather cake. Conventional sponge method in which the fat and half the sugar being creamed first. Cooked on both sides. Onion slices and lettuce loaf can be added to improve eating and nutrient quality. The pan must not be filled more than half for two-thirds with the batter. Spread the fish mixture over one of the buttered surfaces and top with two slices of tomato. A good quality cake must be light. The eggs are separated and only yolks are beaten into fat mixture. top with tomato slice and cover the sliced tomato with the other vegetables and the top layer of the bread. It must not be heavy. 4. Queen cake and ginger bread can be made in this way. Put in the oven to bake for 10. but egg yolk and fat are not included. This mixture is gradually poured into the flour ingredient and all are beaten together with electric mixer or manually with wooden spoon till the mixture is smooth. Combine all ingredients except bread in a bowl. Brush the meat patties with melted margarine and grill over direct heat or barbecue for 10. Chapter Six CAKES. type offat and amount of time available. 3. Remove from heat and slice the rolls into two. Fill the bread with the grilled meat. The quality of cakes is very important. The egg whites are the whisked to become stiff and foamy and the flour mixture is folded into the stiff egg white. The muffin method involves all the dry ingredients being sifted together and the margarine is melted. The creaming method usually produces better quality. Examples are shortened cake. eggs and raising agent. marble cake and coffee cake. consider the quality and type of cake as indicated by the recipe. milk and vanilla are gradually poured into the creamed mixture. the cake will be hard when baked. Split the oblong rolls in half and spread margarine on the sliced surfaces. Club sandwiches are made by slicing the rolls into three portions having two layers of filling.
Gradually pour beaten eggs into the creamed mixture. sieve two times. Add ½ of the flour into the eggs mixture and fold and in the flour mixture.METHOD) 250 grams flour 75ml diluted milk 100g sugar 2 ½ tsp baking powder 3 eggs ¼ tsp salt 125 grams margarine/oil ½ tsp nutmeg 1 tsp lemon juice 1 ½ tsp lemon rind Method 1. 8. 4. Top with currants if desired and hake in moderately heated oven for 20-30 minutes. Rub in the fat and sugar into the sifted flour ingredients with finger tips until the mixture looks like bread crumbs. alternating them. 2. Stir in lemon rind and mix well. . Always use a skewer or knife to check if cake is well baked by piercing the knife through the cake. MARBLE CAKE 400 grams sifted flour 4 tsp baking powder 200 grams margarine 200 grams sugar Drops pink colouring 1 ½ tsp vanilla ½ tsp nutmeg 7-8 eggs 100ml-l50ml milk 1 tsp chocolate/cocoa powder or 2 tbsp browning Method 1. salt and nutmeg into a bowl. Add the washed eggs. Grease cup cake pans and fill the pans. Add the lemon juice and the milk gradually as the constituency becomes stiff. 3. Nutmeg (grated) 3 tsp baking powder 4 egg.IN. Now add a half of the milk and a second of the flour. Having all ingredients at room temperature. 6. until well mixed Add baking powder and nutmeg into flour. and beat with wooden spoon. Sponge cakes must be light with firm spongy texture that springs back when pressure is applied. Add vanilla and cream well. Beat egg and stir into the flour ingredients. 5. Note: currants can be added to the flour before folding in or top of the queen cake as decoration before baking. beaten well in each addition. 2. Spoon mixtures into well greased queen cake pans or paper cups. QUEEN CAKES (RUBBING . 2 tbsp desiccated coconut or currants can be added when mixing. Finally fold in the last portion of the flour mixture and remaining milk. Cream well until the mixture is light and fluffy to a dropping consistency. Sieve ‘flour with baking powder. sugar and vanilla together with electric mixer or wooden spatula. baking powder. Cream margarine and sugar thoroughly until fluffy: 3. Fold in well 5. lime/lemon rind 150 grams sugar ¼ tsp. well beaten 1 tsp vanilla 1 tbsp lemon/lime juice Method 1. 2. 7. it means the cake is baked. Make 12 small cakes. 4. 3. When baked remove from heat and place on cooling racks. salt and nutmeg. QUEEN CAKES (CREAMING METHOD) 300 grams sifted flour 80ml milk 1 50 grams margarine 1tsp. Sprinkle lemon rind over remaining flour. When the knife comes out clean. one at a time. Note: 1 ½ tsp vanilla.47 should have good shapes and rounded but slightly peaked tops. Cream margarine. Sift the flour. Bake in pre-heated oven of 325 (gas mark 2) for about 20 minutes.
Using an electric mixer or whisk. vanilla and currants alternately. grated carrot and toasted coconut. 6. brown and pink) in 3 bowls. Add vanilla mix well and serve as a warm sauce over cakes and puddings. Fold in the sifted dry ingredients alternately with milk. 4. alternating with milk. 2. one at a time. Bake in pre-heated oven for 40 minutes. Stir in flour mixture. blend eggs. baking powder and all spice together. Pour into a well greased square or round pan. 2. Batter may also be scooped in spoonful while alternating the colours till all the batter is put into the pan. FEATHER CAKE 250 grams sifted flour ½ tsp salt 120 grams sugar 4 egg whites 3 tsp baking flour 125 grams margarine 1 tsp vanilla 100ml milk 2 ½ tsp cream of tartar Method 1. 6. custard powder and nutmeg. Pour the cream coloured hatter that on the pink layer and spread the batter from the centre to sides of the pan. Serves 12. Add dry ingredients. Cream sugar. Pour into a greased square pan and bake in pre-heated oven for 55 minutes. Sift cocoa powder into one portion and the pink colouring in another portion. Spread the brown mixture at the bottom of the pan. 7. BANANA COCONUT CAKE 100grams dedicated coconut 200grams flour sifted 100grams margarine 100grams sugar 2 large bananas. salt. 4. margarine. 2. beat well after each addition of egg white. Top the brown with the pink as second layer. Mix the batter thoroughly. 3. VANILLA SAUCE 250rnl boiling water 60 grams sugar 2 tbsp corn starch powder 2 tbsp margarine ½ tsp nutmeg 1 tsp vanilla Method 1. Slowly add vanilla and egg whites. When baked. peeled and mashed 2 large eggs 1 teasp. Serve 10. Stir the mixture into the boiling water. COCONUT/CARROT AND RAISIN CAKE 3 beaten eggs 1 ½ tsp all spice 175 grams sugar 300 grams grated carrots 100 grams raisin/currants 200ml vegetable/soft margarine 360 grams flour l tsp salt 2 tsp vanilla 3 tsp baking powder 150 grams toasted coconut Method 1. sugar and vegetable oil. 3. Sift flour. 5. 3. 6. baking powder cream of tartar and salt three times. Blend in colours very well without over mixing batters. Put water in a small pot to boil. Grease a medium square or round pan and lightly sprinkle flour over the grease pan. Bake in 350°f in a pre-heated oven for 45 minutes. invert on a cooling rack can iced or served with vanilla sauce. Sift flour.48 4. Baking powder l tsp baking soda 120m1 diluted milk . The batter is now in three colours (cream. Mix well and share batter into three equal separate portions in 3 bowls 5. Using a whisk or mixer. Cream margarine and sugar thoroughly.
lemon rinds and remaining brandy. 2. SOYA BEAN AND WHEAT FLOUR BREAD 300grams white flour 300grams soya bean flour 400m1 warm water or milk ltbsp margarine . nutmeg. Spoon topping over the whole top of the cake. To make the topping. sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. 4. Beak in the eggs one at a time. Beat eggs and add to margarine and sugar mixture. Mix the remaining milk and mashed banana in a bowl and gradually combine the banana mixture with the flour mixture. RICH CHOCOLATE FRUIT CAKE 10 eggs 1 tsp vanilla 500 grams sifted flour 2 tbsp brandy flavoring/150ml brandy 2 ½ tsp baking powder 150 grams mixed fruits 300 grams soft margarine 300 grams brown sugar 90 grams (6 tbsp browning/caramel) 1 tsp all spice 1 tsp vanilla 150 grams raisin/currants 1 tsp lemon juice 1 tsp strawberry flavoring 1 ½ tsp rind of one lemon 1 tsp almond flavor Method 1. Mix thoroughly until foamy. 3. and leave to cool slightly. Sift together the flour. Place on a wire rack to cool completely when fully baked. Pour into a greased brunet pan or hollow pan. Sift together the flour. Gradually fold in the flour mixture and floured mixed fruits. then stir in the toasted coconut. place margarine. Note: Caramels. Method 1. 3. 7. 5. Prepare desiccate coconut by toasting freshly grated coconut in the oven or over grill for 5 minutes. Melt the margarine and ensure that all the ingredients are held at room temperature. Preheat the oven 4.49 For the topping 25g (2 ½ tbsp) margarine 2 tbsp honey 120g shredded fresh coconut. Place margarine and sugar in a mixing bowl and cream until smooth and fluffy. Soak fruits in brandy. 2. allspice and baking powder. made by heating 50 grams granulated sugar till it is brown (dark brown) and then 100ml boiled water is gradually stirred into it to lighten the thickness. Sieve out fruits and toss in little flour. 3. Bake in per-heated oven of 3500f (gas mark 2) for 50minutes or until baked.) ¼ tsp all spice 200ml prepared caramel 1 ½ tsp baking soda 180m1 evaporated milk left added for 10 minutes with 10ml lemon juice Method 1. Place cake batter in a greased square pan and bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes. 4. Add the flavorings. Bake at medium heat until cake is cooked (45-50minutes). Cream margarine. baking powder and soda. 5. 6. honey and grated coconut in a sauce pan and cook for about 5 minutes. using half of the milk. This can be used in place of browning. Fold in the flour mixture into the margarine-sugar mixture. Pour batter into well greased and floured pan. 2. Add caramel or browning to sugar mixture. GINGER BREAD 200 grams flour 60 grams (4 tbsp) margarine 1 ½ tsp ground ginger ¼ tsp salt ½ tsp cinnamon (opt. Remove from heat. Place all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and the mixture i s well beaten with electric or wooden spoon until smooth and creamy.
5. FRUIT UPSIDE DOWN CAKE 300 gram chopped pineapple 300 grams sifed flour 150 grams sugar 1 50 grams margarine 3 tsp baking powder ½ tsp salt 200m1 milk 1 tsp vanilla ½ tsp nutmeg 4-6 eggs. Place on a board and knead until firm and glossy. Knead very well and cover in a warm place for dough to rise until double in size (about 35 minutes) 5. Mix the soya bean flour. 2. Shape in to two loaves and place in a greased bread pan. Boil sugar and water quickly without stirring until golden b r o w n and glossy. 2tbsp sugar (reserve 2tbsp) and the salt. Combine margarine. 4. 4. Cover with a damp cloth or towel and let rise for 1 ½ hours under warm condition. When double in size. Set aside and leave to cool completely before using for cake or caramel custard. 2. bake in a pre-heated oven for 30 minutes. Add the white flour to the soya bean dough to obtain a stiff consistency for kneading. 3.50 2-4 tbsp sugar 3 tsp dry yeast ½ tsp salt Method 1. 7. Add the remaining flour. Mix dough thoroughly until it stops sticking to the hands. margarine salt and the remaining sugar in a bowl. Put the oatmeal in a large bowl. CARAMEL 100g sugar 200m1 cold water Method 1. 4. 6. sugar and vanilla and cream well. Pour cake batter over the pineapple as a second layer. Stir the dissolved yeast into the oatmeal mixture. Dissolve yeast in warm water with l tbsp sugar. Remove from pan and insert on cooling rack. 6. Reduce heat to 350°f and bake for 4Ominutes. Fold in the dry ingredients alternately with the milk. Set aside until lukewarm. 5. 2. OATMEAL BREAD 100grams uncooked quick oatmeal 125ml boiling water 60grams (4 tbsp) sugar 1tsp salt l25ml lukewarm water 250m1 warm milk 600grams sifted flour 60grams margarine 3 ½ tsp dry yeast Method 1. add half o f t h e flour and mix until smooth. Mix again and knead a second time. Serve with vanilla sauce as a dessert/sweet. Shape into loafs and place in a warm place to rise until double in size. bake in pre-heated oven at 4000 f for 10 minutes first. Note: Soya bean bread produces a heavy dough and requires more kneading man the regular plain white bread. Makes 2 loaves. Bake at 350f for 50 minutes or until cake is golden brown. Add one egg at a time and beat thoroughly. Beat well until the mixture is well blended. The pineapple should be evenly distributed all over the bottom. stir in the warm milk and boiling waters. 3. reserving some for kneading. Add the margarine. When adequately risen again. Method 1. 3. 3. Generously grease a medium square pan and fill the bottom of the pan with pineapple chunks. Stir and remove from heat when it starts bubbling to top level of the sauce pan. little at a time. Cover and set aside for 5minutes. Prepare a soft dough by using the dissolved yeast to mix the soya bean ingredients. 2. . Sprinkle the yeast into the 125m1 lukewarm water and stir in the remaining 2tbsp sugar until dissolved.
5. ORANGE RUM CAKE 350 g sifted flour 1 ¼ tsp salt 1 ¼ tsp grated dry ginger 150g margarine 3 egg whites. Fold in the flour ingredients. Add the dry ingredients and run mixture alternately into the creamed margarine and sugar mixture with the orange juice mixture. Occasionally. Decorate for anniversary ceremony when cool.seized cake pan and pour in the oatmeal cake and bake in a pre-heated oven for 45minutes. Gradually beat in tile beaten eggs. Cream margarine and sugar until light and fluffy. Cover and set aside for 20 minutes. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 350° for about 45 minutes. . 2. Store in air tight containers for later use when cold. COFFEE CAKE 200g margarine ¼ tsp salt 200g sugar 200g mixed fruits/currants 200m1 caramel 1 tsp cinnamon/coffee 300g flour ½ tsp nutmeg 3 tsp baking powder 1 tsp vanilla 2 tsp strawberry flavor cashew nuts 4 tbsp (optional) 6eggs Method 1. 1 tsp baking powder 200m1 cup boiling water 250 grams sifted flour lisp cinnamon Method 1. stir to prevent burning or uneven browning. Beat eggs till thick and mix in to the sugar and fat mixture. 3. Break and grate off or scrape away the brown surface of the coconut flesh. Mix the brown sugar and margarine till soft. Cream margarine and sugar till light and fluffy. vanilla and almond extract. Grate the coconut and spread out on a baking tray and put in a preheated oven. Gradually blend in the softened oatmeal. 6. Prepare caramel and set aside to cool. Sift together the first 5 ingredients twice 2. Add the egg yolks one at a time. 3. cinnamon and salt into the sifted flour. Beat egg white again. Mix the orange juice with the rum together 4. 2. beating well. 3. Stir in the orange rind. 1 ¼ tsp baking powder 1 ¼ tsp baking soda 150g sugar 3 egg yolks 180 ml orange juice ¼ tsp vanilla 2 tsp grated orange rind Method 1. 4. beating very well. Fold in the egg whites into the flour mixture (batter) and pour into the greased 1 0 inch pan. 2. Bake till dry but not coloured. Toss together and set aside. beaten stiff 60m1 rum ½ tsp almond extract/Cloves 4 tbsp caramel. 4. Mix together and add the currants to mixed fruits. OATMEAL CAKE 100g oatmeal (quick cooking oatmeal) 1 60grarns brown sugar 1 tsp baking soda ½ tsp salt 100grams mixed fruits or currants. . pour the boiling water over the oatmeal and mix thoroughly.51 DESICCATED COCONUT 1 coconut Method 1. Add the caramel. Now sift the baking soda. Grease a medium.
3. Using a wooden spoon. 5. fat. salt and baking powder combine then in small portions with the fat mixture by folding in and alternatively adding the spices and flavoring. Flip the pancake cover to brown the other side. Pre-heat the oven. Dissolve half of the sugar in the yeast. When brown. Serve with honey or pancake syrup. milk and vegetable oil. Cover bowl with a damp towel and place till it doubles it original size or leave in the refrigerator over night. Allow to cool and cut into squares to serve as finger food. 2.52 5. Make a well at the centre of the flour mixture and add one beaten egg at a time. Stir in the nuts and mixed fruits. remaining sugar and salt in a bowl. Beat the batter until it is smooth. 6. 6. Serve as a snacks. Cover and set aside for about 10 minutes. Add scrambled eggs or sausage as breakfast dish. Drain out oil and serve as snack. PLAIN BREAKFAST PANCAKES 10 tbspflour ¼ egg 2 tsp sugar 125ml milk ¼ tsp salt 1 tbsp vegetable 1 ½ tsp baking powder Method 1. Stir in the milk and mix thorough. Mix the sifted flour. . Fry until the mixture is light brown and remove with a straining spoon. beat the mixture lightly for about 3 minutes. Heat a heavy frying pan (small sized) on top cooker and grease the bottom lightly with a teaspoon of vegetable oil. salt and baking powder till the mixture becomes crumbs. 4. 3. Pour ¼ of the batter into the centre of the pan over medium heat until bubbles form. PUFF-PUFF 300 grams sifted flour ½ tsp salt 45 grams/3 tbsp sugar Vegetable oil for deep frying 1 tbsp margarine/oil 1 ½ tsp yeast 250rnl water lukewarm Method 1. 2. 4. Lightly grease medium-sized baking pan and pour the batter into the pan. Fry until golden brown on all sides. 7. 7. Mix the flour. Sift the flour. Heat the oil for frying and use oiled spooned to scoop the mixture. Stir in the fermented yeast with a Spoon and beat the mixture lightly. rise to the top and become popped. Sift sugar. Alternately mold batter in balls and drop in the heated oil. sugar. Heat vegetable oil. 4. In a separate bowl beat the egg. margarine. At this time the underside of the pancake is golden brown. 3. Beat and drop the batter in balls from oiled Spoon into the hot oil. test for doneness and remove from heat. Add ¼ tsp of the corned beef to the batter in the spoon and drop the batter as ball into the deep frying pan oil. Stir in the dry ingredients into the milk egg-mixture. 5. flour. Cover and allow to ferment till it bubbles (1 5 minutes). 9. RICH BUNS 250g flour(sifted) egg 60 grams/4 tbsp margarine 50g sugar Vegetable oil for deep frying 100-125ml water 2 tbsp milk ½ tsp salt 2 tsp baking powder 3 tsp corned beef (optional) Method 1. 8. Yields 1 serving of4 pancakes. 5. Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 45 minutes. 2. salt and baking powder.
After mixing.53 PASTRIES AND COOKIES Pies are made from plain pastry which is a stiff dough made from flour. Cut the top with a fork and the beaten egg. Sprinkle with enough cold water to moisten. Before mixing the ingredient for pastry. Roll out to ¼ inch thickness on floured board and cut into shapes. fish or sausage fillings. The dough is gathered to form a ball and rolled on a flat surface. (3) The suet pastry has less amount of fat and one-third fat to flour quantity is used. Prepare the filling and set aside to cool. pies may also be fried in deep fat. Plain pastry may be classified according to the ratio of fat to flour. the dough is lolled. nor too soft or crumbly. always set aside some flour that will be needed to sprinkle on. chilled and cut into desired shapes with biscuit cutter. After mixing. It produced less flaky and tender crusts and it is often used for commercial productions. salt and water. care must be taken to avoid kneading and over stretching of the pastry for handling can cause the pie crusts to shrink and become tough when baked. . 6. the dough nay be left for about 15 minutes for flour to be well hydrated and for easier handling. It produces very tender and flaky crusts. eggs and milk. The surfaces may be smooth or rough. For best result. 5. Toss flour and salt together. When mixing and rolling. Makes 8 pies. The softer doughs may be dropped on baking trays for baking. well folded and sealed together to prevent leakages. Bake in pre-heated oven for 30-40 minutes. Cookies should neither be too hard. The salt contributes to flavor and the fat gives tenderness. (2) Flaky pastry has ratio of two-thirds fat to the flour. 7. Gather into a ball and set aside for 15-30 minutes. The pies are arranged in well greased baking trays and placed in pre-heated ovens. 8. The pies must be sufficiently filled. The flour must be of good quality in order to produce firm products. When baked. fat. The tops are also lightly brushed with beaten egg or milk for browning as a form of garnishing. rising agents and flavorings. Cookies is another favorite snack made from soft dough. Pie filling must be made earlier and cooled before filling the pie shells. fat. and cold water is desirable. Pastry is made by cutting fat into the flour and salt until the mixture becomes like bread crumbs. The tops at the top of each pie with fork or knife to permit steam to escape during baking. Machine is also used for mixing of pastry in order to have cumulated quantity of fats well distributed in the flour and incorporate sufficient air into the dough and improve tenderness. Cookies can be mixed by creaming method or pastry method. board and dough when rolling. The water is used to bind the ingredients. They are (1) short crust pastry which has half fat to the flour measurement It is fairly flaky and crumbles easily. 3. 2. tender and golden brown in colour. BASIC PASTRY (FOR MEAT. Fill with meat. Alternatively. the pastry dough should not be over stretched when rolling and cutting. sugar. They should be removed from the trays immediately they are baked. pastries should be flaky. 4. SAUSAGE ROLL AND FISH PIES) i) Short-Crust Margarine Pastry (ii) Oil Pastry 300 grams flour (sifted) 300 grams flour (sifted) Pinch salt 2 tsp baking powder 150 grams margarine 150m1 vegetable oil 100ml cold water 50m1 cold water 1 egg for glazing 1 egg for glazing Pinch salt ii) Margarine-Oil Pastry 300g flour ½ tsp salt 60g margarine 60m1 vegetable oil 60ml water (iv) Suet Pastry (Economy) 300g flour 3 tsp baking powder 100g margarine/oil 75m1 water ¼ tsp salt Method 1. Over mixing will result in toughness of cookies. It is made with flour. Add the fat and mix until mixture looks like fine bread crumbs. The dough is rolled into ¼ inch thickness and cut into desired sizes and shapes. Cuts should be made at the top of each pie with fork or knife to permit steam to escape during baking. Cold water is added gradually to the mixture and it is combined together. Cover the pie shells and seal properly.
Mix the sausage and curry or nutmeg. Seal the edges and use a knife and cut into 2 ½ to 3 inches sizes. Roll over in two or three folding. Add carrots. roll out the dough into Y2 inch thickness in rectangular shape. 5. 4. Stir-fry for 2 minutes and remove from heat. Add the beef broth. 4. Make a well in the centre of the mixture and add water gradually to form a past. Prepare the margarine or oil pastry. 7. 5. 3. Rub in the fat into the flour. CORNED BEEF ROLLS 300g flour 100ml cold water 150g margarine 1 small can corned beef Pinch salt 1 beaten egg for glazing Method 1. Place the rolls on a greased baking sheet or tray and glaze the tops with beaten eggs. Gather the mixture in small balls without kneading. Fold over the rolled pastry from the long side until the rectangle makes 3-4 folding. Use fork to cut the top of the rolls and place in greased pan. See diagram for rolling out cutting guidelines. 3. Fry for 2 seconds and then add minced beef or fish flakes. Roll dough on lightly floured board to a 4 by 12 inches in rectangle of ½ inch long thickness. Using a spoon. spread the mixed sausage on the surface of the rectangle. Rub the sausage generously along the centre of pastry. Add baking powder. 4. Cook for 8 minutes until beef is cooked. In a bowl cut in the margarine and rub in to have flour crumbs. Handle dough as little as possible and place balts on a floured board. which now gives 4 sausage rolls. In a saucepan. 2. SAUSAGE ROLL 250 grams beef sausage ½ tsp curry or nutmeg Basic pastry recipe 1 egg (beaten) for glazing Method 1. Remove 2-3 tbsp of flour mixture for rolling out. Roll up the remaining pastry. Brush milk or egg wash on top and bake in pre-heated 3500f heated oven for 30-40 minutes. peas. water and the seasonings stir well to mix up ingredients. Sift flour and salt 2. Bake in preheated oven for about 40 minutes or till light brown. Using the rolling pin. folding in and stirring well un flour is well absorbed. CHIN CHIN 300 grams sifted flour 75g margarine 1 egg ½ tsp salt Vegetable oil for frying 45g (4 tbsp) sugar ½ tsp baking powder pinch nutmeg 2-3 tbsp cold water 1 ½ tbsp powdered milk Method 1. chopped and boil 2 ½ margarine or vegetable oil Method 1. . Spread the corned beef evenly over the surface of the flat dough as for sausage roll.54 MEAT PIE/FISH PIE FILLING 50 grams minced beef/flaked cooked fish 2 tsp flour ¼ tsp salt 100ml beef broth 4 potatoes diced and boiled 1 tsp curry 1 tsp thyme 4 tbsp peas 1 carrot. 5. nutmeg and sa1t Toss together until mixture forms crumbs. 6. 9. melt margarine or heat oil and add onion. 8. 2. 3. 6. Sprinkle flour into the mixture.
Sieve the baking powder. curry. pepper. seasoning and water. 2. Note: Corned beef or sardines can be used as alternatives. 3. Gather dough into balls and leave for 10-15 minutes for flour absorb liquid well. 4. Add cold water and bind together. Drain and serve hot. cut length wise through the middle and scoop out the yolks. FISH ROLL a) Fish filling 250g flaked cooked fish ½ tsp flour ½ tsp curry ½ tsp salt 2 tbsp water ½ chopped onion 2 tsp vegetable oil Method 1. Heat oil in deep fryer and fry the rolled up egg till golden brown. Heat the vegetable oil and onion in a frying pan for 2seconds. Add 1 tbsp margarine and 1 tbsp milk to the egg yolk and mix well. Now roll out on floured board into 1 ¼ or ½ inch thickness and cu into cubes or dices. flour board with reserved mixture. Peel the boiled eggs. Divide the yolk mixture into 4 equal portions and fill 3 each egg (half of white) with the yolk mixture. salt ingredients thoroughly. Gather the mixture into a ball and roll into ½ inch thickness on a board. 2. Stir-fry for 2 minutes and remove from heat to cook while pastry is prepared. Use paste (flattened) to cover each filled egg coated first in flour pinch the joining edges for proper sealing of the paste. Split into 2 sections again and garnish with cucumber slice to serve. Do no knead pastry. 3. 4. pressing together to form a whole egg again. Seal the edge of the last fold with little water.55 2. 4. If heat is too low or much quantity is fried at time. pepper. Cut in margarine into the flour and gradually sprinkle water into the flour and mixture to moisten. Spread the filling all over the dough surface and roll the rectangular pastry in two or three folds. Pre-heat oil and fry until light brown. Add the flaked fish. Stir well and sprinkle in the flour to bind the ingredients. Serve wit groundnuts as snack. 3. salt. 6. 7. 5. 3. Place the yolk in a bowl with the minced fish. 6. the chin-chin will soak the oil and will no be crisp. EGG ROLL 4 eggs (hard boiled) 200g sifted flour 50g fat 2 tsp baking powder ½ tsp salt ½ tsp sugar 60m1 cold water oil for deep frying . 5. 6. Cut into 3 inch long rolls and place in a greased baking tray Glaze the top with beaten egg and put in the oven to bake for about 40 minutes. Cut into rectangular shapes and fill them with the cooked fish filling. 5. milk. b) Pie shell (pastry) 300g flour ½ tsp salt 100g fat ½ tsp baking powder 60-80ml cold water 1 egg for glazing Method 1. STUFFED EGG ROLL 4 large eggs (hardboiled) 2 tbsp minced cooked fish ½ tsp curry 3 tbsp milk 6 tbsp margarine (90g) ½ tsp ground pepper 200g plain sifted flour ½ tsp soy or maggi sauce pinch salt and pepper ½ tsp baking powder Method 1. Allow chin-chin pieces to drain off oil after frying. flour and salt into a bowl. Cover each half. Make a thick paste with flour remaining margarine. 2.
Heat oil for deep frying and cook the eggs under moderate. add the sugar lightly and continue to whisk until the egg mixture has doubled into size and become thick and creamy. Sieve baking powder into the sieved flour and sieve the sugar separately. SCOTCH EGGS 4 hard boiled eggs 4 tbsp bread crumbs 200g beef sausage ½ tsp curry 2 tbsp sifted flour . Roll out pastry about ¼ inch (1/2 cm) thick.80m1 water ½ tsp baking powder Beans. Grease a swiss cake pan and line with a greased paper. 4. After 5 minutes of whisking. 3. 6. 7. 4. Put the mixture in to the greased pan over the paper and spread evenly. SWISS ROLL 100 grams sifted flour 3 eggs ½ tsp baking powder 2-3 tbsp warm jam 100grams sugar l tbsp warm water ½ tsp vanilla essence Method 1. drain serve as snack or cocktail. Fill each pie shell with the prepared filling. salt and baking powder into a bowl 2.56 Method 1. 5. share the dough in to 6 portions and flatten each portion to ¼ inch thickness. 3. without stretching. When baked. add the water gradually to make a fi r m paste while handling the mixture as little and lightly as possible. Now coat the shelled egg with remaining flour and wrap each egg. 5. Taking one at a time. Now spread the warm jam all over the surface of the rectangular-shaped cake. Gather the soft dough in a ball. 2. 8. 2. turn out the cake on a sugared paper and remove the baking paper carefully. heat until the coating is golden brown on all sides. Remove sugared paper and cool the roll on a cake rack. Remove the beaten egg from the top of the hot water and sprinkle half of the flour over the egg mixture. mix flour. Make a well in the centre. Coat the remaining eggs. Serve as snacks. 9. vegetable oil for frying . Break the eggs into a mixing bowl and place the bowl over a pan of hot water. Bake in a pre-heated oven until golden brown and firm. Reserving one table spoon of flour. 8. Use a pastry cutter to cut pie shapes. The water should not be too hot the bowl should not touch the water to prevent the eggs from curding. sugar. Peel hard-boiled eggs and set aside. Now sprinkle the remaining flour and continue to fold in until flour is completely absorbed. 7. Damp the rim or edge of the pie shell with water and seal the rim of the pie firmly 6. Cut into smaller rolls. Gradually fold in the vanilla and warm water. Add cold water to make the dough. 6. sugar and salt together 3. Fry pies in heated vegetable oil till golden brown. Now whisk. Sieve flour. Rub in the margarine for the flour mixture to form crumbs. FRIED PIES 300g flour ½ tsp salt 100g margarine 50. fish or meat filling (already prepared) 1 ½ tsp sugar Vegetable oil for deep frying Method 1. Fold in lightly with a metal spoon. Cut the margarine into the flour ingredients. fold the dough like a skin over the egg and seal edges very well with the egg fully enclosed and the egg shapes still maintained. 4. with a portion of dough. Now roll up quite firmly and leave the roll wrapped up in the sugared paper for about 10 minutes to keep the roll in food shape. 5.
Makes 2 ½ -3 dozens. Allow them to cool thoroughly before removing them from the baking tray. 7. 2. Make 3 dozens. flask and teapots. 5. 3. 2.58 Method 1. 8. 2. 3. They are grouped as follows: 1. Blend vanilla and desired food colouring. 5. Chill for ease in handling. Form 2 rolls each of 7 inches long and 1 ½ inches wide which look like sausage roll. VANILLA FILLING 65gmargarifle 140g icing sugar 1 egg white ½ tsp Food colour (pink or yellow) Method 1. Shred coconut and set aside. malted and vegetable juices. 2. beer etc. minerals and vitamins. ensure that good quality fresh fruits are used. Maintenance of proper hygiene is important when handling the ingredients. Nourishers: Milk shakes. as accompaniments to meal or the final course of a meal. Refreshers: Fruit drinks and soft drinks. the beverage is known as fruit drink. Stir in the coconut and mould into I inch balls. 6. They are later mixed with water or other beverage and served chilled. boast the body’s energy and vitality and ensure a healthy lifestyle. Beat in egg and vanilla. Chapter Seven BEVERAGES AND DESSERTS A beverage is any kind of drink that is prepared for human consumption. beating until light and fluffy. Gradually add flour. sugar and vanilla. fruit and milk drinks are more nutritious. Fruits and vegetable juices are good source of vitamins and some minerals and are obtained from squeezing the fruits. fruits juices. Squashes are boiled concentrates of juices to which small proportion of sugar has been added. 4. Now cut into ‘/2 inch sizes (thickness of slice) and place in lightly oiled baking pan. COCONUT BALLS 125g margarine 1 tsp vanilla 130g sifted flour 60g sifted sugar ½ tbsp water 200g shredded coconut Method 1. fresh fruits drinks. Also. Health Promoters: Fruit and vegetable juices Beverages may serve as appetizers in meals. Soft drinks. Bake for 8-10 minutes. 4. Milk contains protein. egg hot drinks. Cream margarine and sugar. . beat until blended. 6. Beverages may come from mostly animals or fruits and vegetables. Put 2 or 3 cookies together with the vanilla filling in between them. 3. Place the balls apart in an ungreased baking tray or sheet. 5. Bake in slow oven for about 20 minutes or until firm to touch. 4. Sedatives: Alcoholic drinks. mineral water. cocoa. tea and cocoa are popular in meals. Add sugar alternately with egg white. Nutritious drinks provide specific nutrients to help fight illness. coffee. egg drinks. However. Now prepare the vanilla filling that will be used to sandwich two or three cookies together. Use filling for sandwiching sponge cakes as well. Stimulants: Coffee. When fruits juices are mixed with water (1 to 3 parts water) and sweetened with sugar or honey. Stir in the water. Cream margarine. tea. add flour and mix well. 3. When preparing beverages. Energizers: Malted and vegetable drinks. ensure that you use appropriate’ utensils like jugs. stimulating drinks between meals. Remove from heat and cool on wire racks. lemon grass and scent leaf tea. Peel or scrape off the brown back of the coconut flesh. fat. 6.
4. Orange and pineapple juices maybe added. 3. Fill the shell with fruit salad and decorate with quartered lemon Seal the top of the watermelon basket with clean film or foil paper and chill before serving. scoop out the pulp and squeeze out juice through a sieve. 3.59 GRAPE FRUIT DRINK 2 ripe grape fruits 500ml water Syrup to taste Method 1. 2. WATER MELON DRINK 1 small watermelon fruit 1 lemon/lime Syrup and water to taste 500m1 boiled water Method 1. Stir in the orange juice. Wash and cut fruit into halves. Scoop out the melon fruit. discarding the seeds. Wash. Wash fruit and cut into sections. . Leave to cook and chill before serving. WATERMELON BASKET ½ water melon ½ medium pineapple 250m1 orange juice 23 bananas 1 red apple 1 lemon Method 1. Boil the water and leave to cool. Pour over the juice in a jar. Note: Syrup for flavoring fruit drinks should be prepared before hand and allowed to cool before addition to drinks. Boil for another five minutes for4fie syrup to thicken slightly. Cool and add to fruit drinks. 3. Slice the bananas and dice the pineapple. Squeeze out the juice. Combine these in a bowl to prevent browning of the bananas. peel pawpaw and remove the seeds. Syrup (For Fruity Drinks) 75g sugar 250m1 water Method 1. trim the edge for the watermelon shell by cutting a saw tooth edge. PAWPAW DRINK ½ ripe pawpaw 1 tsp lemon/lime juice 500m1 boiled water Syrup and water to taste (250ml water boiled with 75g sugar) Method 1. 2. Remove seeds. Make ½ inch water melon cubes from the scooped watermelon. Place the sugar and water in a saucepan and heat till all sugar are dissolved. Add syrup to taste and the lemon juice. 2. 2. Chili before serving. reserving the shell. Sweeten with syrup 3. Blender can be used to crush the pulp before sieving. Using a sharp knife.
Put chucks of pineapple in a bowl and use a crusher/blender to squeeze out the juice. Serve chilled in tall glasses with a sprig of lime leaf as garnishing.60 2. ZOBO DRINK 200g zobo flower (1/4 basket) 3 litres of water 3 tsp crushed ginger 500m1 pineapple/orange juice sugar to taste 3 tsp crushed cloves Method 1. Add the pure water and strain into a glass jug. Add ice blocks to serve immediately. 4. Add previously boiled water to mashed pawpaw and strain into a glass jug. BEETROOT AND CARROT DRINK 1 raw beetroot 2 medium carrots 1 apple (red or green) 500m1 pure water Method 1. 5. Wash lemon(s) and squeeze out the juice. 5. Wash. Sweeten with syrup and add the lemon juice. Pour into jugs and chill before serving. scrape and grate carrots. Filter very well and discard the chaff. Mix well and pour in to cocktail glasses. Boil the 3 litres of water and pour over the washed zobo. Add the pure water to filter and obtain the juice. CHAPMAN’S DRINK 250ml orange juice 1 tbsp bitters ltsp sugar syrup (optional) Juice of 1-2 lemons 300m1 bitter lemon 2 cucumber or lemon slices. Sort the dried zobo flower to remove all dirt in it. Remove from heat. Garnish side of glass with cucumber/lemon slices. Cut beetroot in to small pieces as well as the apple. Combine all the ingredients in a jug except the cucumbers7 lemon slices and the bitter lemon soft drink. Add the bitter lemon last. but do not peel beet root. Sweeten with syrup or honey if desired. Serve chilled. Wash them in clean water. Alternatively. Wash. Leave to cool completely. Stir in the pineapple juice and sugar to taste. Serve chilled in glasses and garnish with lemon/lime slices. Add lime and syrup. Scrub pineapple. 2. remove immediately from the water and place them in a sauce pot. The fleshy part of pineapple is cut and served as a dessert or refreshments. 6. 4. Stir in ginger. 2. 2. Cover and keep drink until cold. Keep the zobo boiling for about 30 minutes till the colour is fully absorbed into the liquid. peel and remove the hard core at the middle. stir in the ginger or cloves and set aside for few minutes. Mash the pawpaw or pulp in a blender. Cut into small chunks and put in a bowl. Use a blender or juicing machine to blend the fruits. 2. PINEAPPLE DRINK 4 slices or small ripe pineapple 1 lime/lemon juice 700ml boiled water 1 tsp crushed ginger syrup to taste Method 1. 4. the thoroughly washed pineapple peels can be boiled in 700m1 water strained into jugs and chilled before serving. ORANGE AND MILK PUNCH 500m1 (2 cups) orange juice 1 tbsp sugar/honey 500ml diluted evaporated milk 1 tsp milk flavour . 3. 3. Method 1. 3. 7.
3. 6. Chill the orange juice and the wine. Garnish with orange slices serve in tall glasses. Chill till serving. Mix the orange juice and milk together. Mash but do not blend the plantain pieces and add the water. 3.61 Method 1. Place in a bowl and add a little water to the fleshy part. Wash fruit very well. 4. 6. Remove the flesh of the sour sop and discard the seeds. Store in a plastic container in a cool place for about 24-48 h o u r s (overnight). CHAMPAGNE AND ORANGE JUICE COCKTAIL DRINK 500m1 champagne 1 tbsp honey 500m1 orange juice 4 lemon slices Method 1. Add milk flavour 2. Wash and peel bananas/plantains. sweeten to taste with the sugar or honey. 4 lemon slices 2 tbsp sugar syrup . 2. Avoid use of aluminum utensils. Mix all the ingredients in a punch bowl. Chill and serve garnished with lemon slices. 4. 5. Add the bitters and ginger ale. APPLE AND WINE DRINK 2 apples 1 lemon 75ml brandy 200m1 ginger ale. 2. Pour liquid into a pot. After heating cool and chill drink till service time. The mixture now becomes a fairly thick liquid with some foamy substance and plantain pieces at the top. Slice into bits and put in a bowl. chilled. Serve immediately in wine glasses garnish with lemon slices. Crush it and pass through a sieve to extract the juice. 2. Pour mixture into an air-tight plastic bowl and cover well. PLANTAIN DRINK 2 ripe plantains/ripe bananas syrup to taste (optional) 1 ½ litre boiled cooled water Method 1. TEA PUNCH 250m1 apple juice 1 litre orange juice 500m1 brewed tea 2 tbsp bitters (optional) 1 bottle ginger ale (fanta ginger) 2 tsp ground cloves Orange slices to garnish Method 1. 3. M ix in remaining water and strain the liquid into a glass jar. Serve in tall glasses garnished with few pawpaw chunks. 2. Note: Pineapple or grape fruit juices may be used or added. Add syrup and nutmeg/vanilla. SOUR SOP DRINK 1 medium ripe sour sop 1 litre of previously boiled water syrup to taste ½ tsp nutmeg/vanilla Method 1. Pour the fruit juices and tea over a large block of ice in a punch bowl. 5. add sugar or syrup (if necessary) and boil for 20 minutes. Filter the mixture through a fine sieve into another plastic or glass bowl.
Add the lemon rind pour the water into the jar. Combine the juice in a bowl. Squeeze the juices from the lemons into a jug. Stir in the remaining orange juice. CARROT MANGO DRINK 3 medium carrots (peeled and grated) 1 ripe mango . ENERGY EGGNOG 1 egg 1 can of diluted evaporated milk 1 tbsp brandy (optional) 2tbsp honey 150m1 orange juice Method 1. Dissolved sugar in water. Add eggs to mixture. Mix all ingredients either by whisking or mixing in a blender. Stir in the brandy. Cut into halves and trim off few thin slices o f t h e rind from half of a lemon.62 Method 1. Note: Oranges. 4. MIXED FRUIT DRINK (PUNCH) 500ml orange juice 500mlpineapplejuice 100ml lemon juice 1 bottle non-alcoholic fruit wine or 2bottlesgingerale 1 litre of chilled pure water 200m1 grape juice 100g sugar Method 1. Wash lemons. Stir in the syrup and strain. Mix well after each addition. 2. one at a time. Cut into pieces. Cover the jug and allow the lemonade to cool. Stir well and add the wine or ginger ale. 2. Serve chilled with lemon slice topping as garnishing. 3. Half a teaspoon of brandy flavor can be used in place of pure brandy. Wash and break eggs into saucer. tangerines. LEMONADE 3 large lemons (ripe) Syrup to taste l000ml previously boiled water Method 1. 3. Wash and cut apples into sections. 3. Add the syrup to the juices 4. Serve into four glasses and add ice cubes. Push the lemon pieces and apple sections through a juice extractor/blender. lime or grapefruit can be used in place of lemon or in addition to lemon. Add ice cubes and lime/lemon slices and serve chilled. 3. Dust with nutmeg as garnishing. Pour into glasses. Decorate with slices of lemon and top the drink with ginger ale or fanta soft drink. Chill the brandy. strained juice and sugar syrup. Blend half of the orange juice and milk in a blender until smooth. Peel the lemon and out the pit including the seeds. Strain the juice into a jug. BREAKFAST DELIGHT DRINK 1 tin evaporated milk (diluted) 400ml orange/pineapple juice 3 eggs Syrup to taste Method 1. Serve chilled. Add sugar if desired. 2. 2. 2.
4. Melt margarine and leave to cool. Add the remaining water to the crushed mango and filter out the liquid. They are usually served as the third courses in meals (fruits pies. Add the pineapple juice and pour into a jug chill and serve garnished with cucumber slices and pineapple chunks threaded on cocktail skewers placed on glass of the drink. Allow to rest in a cool place before using for jam tarts. Leave to cool 3. Cut up carrots and blend to a smooth pulp. Fold in sifted flour and baking powder very gently 6. Wash. creamy and double in size is obtained. Fold in the melted margarine or vegetable oil gently. appropriate cooling temperature is important for maximum enjoyment of such dishes. making sure that it is not stretched 4. sugar and cream of tartar in a bowl over a pan of hot water. it is important to maintain good hygiene in order to prevent contamination of the products and prevent excessive changes in temperature This is very important in serving milk and fruit salad desserts. Serve chilled in glasses with ice cubes. In preparing and serving desserts. Stir in the run or run flavouring. Cover and set aside. 3. Cream eggs and sugar. DESSERTS/SWEETS Desserts are light food items that are used to add final touch to meals. PINEAPPLE COCONUT DRINK 500m1 pineapple juice chilled 80m1 dark run or ½ tsp run flavouring 500m1 hot water 1 tsp vanilla extract 100g sugar ½ tsp ground cloves 1 pack cream of coconut Method 1. vegetable tarts. 2. Bake in a moderately hot oven for about 30 minutes ECONOMY VANILLA ICE CREAM 500ml evaporated milk 2 eggs . 6. Add three quarters of the water to the carrots and strain out the liquid into a bowl. SUGAR PASTRY 200g sugar 100g margarine 2-3 tbsp water 1 egg 50g sugar ¼ tsp salt Method 1. Whisk eggs. beans pie or fish pie. Add margarine and nix well 2. 3. Place in a greased. floured baking pan. Continue until smooth mixture that light. 3. Dilute cream of coconut in the 500m1 hot water in a bowl Add sugar. Place in a bowl and mash very well. Most light desserts are usually served chilled. 4. cakes an puddings) and light dessert dishes (ices and fruits). 5. Sieve flour and salt gradually incorporate into the egg and sugar mixture. 5. 7. Therefore. Mix the carrot and mango drink in a jug and sweeten with honey or sugar. Mix carefully until slightly smooth Handle pastry gently. cloves and vanilla Mix thoroughly. They increase the enjoyment of meals. CHIFFON CAKE 4 eggs 100g sugar 100gflour 1 tsp baking powder 50g margarine/3 ½ tbsp vegetable oil ½ tsp cream of tartar 1 tsp vanilla extract/lemon extract Method 1. peel and chop mango flesh. stirring well till dissolved 2. Remove from heat and whisk until cold and thick. Beat in the vanilla and lemon extract. 2.63 Sugar to taste 800m1 water Method 1.
Prepare cornstarch with little boiled water. 2. 4. Gradually add the vanilla or banana flavor essence. 4. 3. milk. Makes 6-8 servings. Heat milk to lukewarmness. Add vanilla and chill before serving 8-10 servings. 2. Add vanilla and pour into a shallow pan. stirring constantly as the mixture boils. Get the egg-milk mixture from freezer and beat till smooth and creamy. Cover in a plastic bowl and leave to set in the freezer (about 6 hours). mixture. Beat eggs slightly. 5. vanilla. FRENCH ICE CREAM 100g sugar 3 egg whites Pinch salt 250m1 evaporated milk\ 3 egg yolks 1 ½ ml vanilla(1 ½ teaspoon) 2 tbsp cornstarch Method 1. CORNSTARCH CUSTARD 60g (4 ½ tbsp) sugar 270m1 milk 40-50g (3 ½ tables) custard powder or plain cornstarch. Vanilla/nutmeg Method 1.64 2 tbsp sugar 1 tsp vanilla/banana essence 15g gelatine 2 tbsp water Method 1. Dissolve gelatine in 2 tbsp water and stir into milk mixture. 5. nutmeg and salt. Add the cooked cornstarch and mix well. stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. Remove from heat and leave to cool. Beat reserved egg whites to stiffness and fold into the cooled milk. Heat remaining milk for 2 minutes and pour over blended custard powder or cornstarch mixture. fruit chunks or jam. Note: Caramel may be poured into pan or individual queen cake pans before the custard (milk and egg mixture) is poured on it to bake. stirring until it thickens. . Pour into greased baking pan. Mix cornstarch or custard and a little milk. Heat the mixture to hotness. 2. Separate eggs . make it thick and set aside. Place the milk mixture over water simmering in the pan. 6. sugar and egg yolk together. 4. beating only the milk.serve topped with cornflakes. and bake for 25 minutes. 3. Serve in cups. add sugar. Fold the egg whites into the egg yolk and milk mixture. Return to sauce pan and cook over medium heat. Beat egg yolk and blend 25g of sugar. salt and milk. Cover mixture and freeze for another 5 -10 minutes while beating egg whites and remaining sugar to stiffness. 3. Cook for 2 minutes longer and remove from heat. Serve as dessert. 2. Freeze for 30 minutes until mushy. Cook water in a pan and leave to simmer. 3. Freeze in covered plastic container until it is firm (4hrs). BAKED CUSTARD 4 eggs 1 tin evaporated milk diluted With 2 parts water 1 tsp vanilla/nutmeg Pinch of salt 2 tbsp sugar Method 1. Beat the milk mixture until thick and stiff enough to form peaks. Do not allow to boil.
While still hot. Scoop into cocktail glasses and garnish with a slice of lemon. Mix orange juice and honey and pour over the fruits. 2. 2. vanilla . Take back to freezer and leave for about 3-4 hours to allow the ice cream to be fully set. Cover bowl and place mixture in the freezer Leave to chill for about 40 minutes until the mixture is fairly set 6. Beat eggs. Cover and chill for at least 3 hours. and cut into triangles or squares MANGO FLUFF 3 ripe mangoes 1 sachet gelatin ½ tsp.65 FRUIT FREEZE 2 teaspoon lemon/lime juice 250m1 orange juice 1 tsp vanilla 250 ml pineapple juice 250m1 mango juice Method 1. except shredded coconut. 3. 4. Cook half of the sugar and water with the pineapple chunks until the fruit is soft. Cool and bottle. 4. PARTY VANILLA ICE CREAM 500m1 evaporated milk 1 tbsp gelatin (15 gram) 1 tbsp vanilla /banana flavour ½ cup corn flakes (crushed) 2 eggs 2 tbsp sugar 5 tbsp water ¼ cup coconut flakes Method 1. pour dissolved gelanne over cooled mixture Add the remaining evaporated milk and beat till fully blended. Serve decorated with corn flakes. 5. lemon juice 1 tin evaporated milk 60 grams icing sugar 6 tsp. Add the remaining sugar and lime juice. 3. Freeze until mushy. Toss gently again before serving into cocktail glasses or salad cups. Bring out and beat well again till mixture is fluffy Mix cornflakes and coconut flakes and line the bottom of a square dish Pour ice cream over coconut and com flakes. Use as spread for bread and filling for doughnuts. Pour warm milk over egg mixture. Juice from pawpaw can also be added. Remove from the hot water bowl and leave to cool. sugar and vanilla/banana flavour together. Pour lemon juice over banana and diced apples to prevent browning of the surface immediately after slicing. Cook until set but not sticky (about 35 minutes). Combine all the fruits in a bowl. (not hard frozen) stirring once. Colour is golden brown. Top with coconut pieces. stirring occasionally. Keep refrigerated. CRUNCHY FRUIT SALAD 1 apple diced 1 banana sliced 1 large orange in fleshy sections ¼ watermelon deseeded and diced 50 grams raising! mixed fruits 4 tbsp shredded coconut ½ cup orange juice 3 tbsp honey 2 tbsp lemon juice Method 1. FRUIT JAM 40grams chopped pineapple (2 mgt) 250m1 water 1 tbsp lime juice 300grams (1 mgt) sugar Method 1. 4. Heat 250ml milk diluted with 3tbsp water to warmness. 3. 2. Dissolve gelatine in the remaining 2tbsp4water over low heat. Toss gent1y using a wooded spoon. 2. Place the bowl of milk -egg mixture over another bowl of hot water (not directly inside hot water) and whisk the mixture till it thickens. 3. Combine all the above ingredients in plastic bowl and mix well.
m. Whisk gelatin till fluffy.66 Method 1.40 minutes. Chill in the freezer for some 4 hours before serving into cocktail or dessert glasses! cups as a dessert or refreshment. Add the mango juice. add the gelatin mixture and beat well. 5. Peel and chop the mango flesh. 5. Beat eggs and add the flavourings. Sprinkle ½ of the corn flakes into a round or square pans. Whisk the chilled milk and sugar. . vanilla. ginger and remaining sugar 75g over a boiling water till melted. combine100g of margarine. When the bread is softened. 6. Place the dishes/cups in a roasting pan and pour enough hot water halfway up the sides of the pans. Gradually add the gelatin mixture. add the eggs. Chill milk for about 3 hours. Beat milk until thick. Pour the mixture over the crumbs and cover the top with the other ½ of the corn flakes crushed into crumbs. When the pudding are cooked. Mix gently. 4. Bake in a preheated oven for 30. Scoop gently into desert cups and top with the mango chunks. 3. Chill the milk for 3 hours 2. Cover and freezer till set. 6. When set. SPECIAL PUDDING 125grams margarine 1 egg ¼ tsp salt ½ tsp all spice/cinnamon 120 grams sugar 130 grams sifted flour 1 tsp baking powder/soda 100g currants/raising(optional) . 4. 6. LEMON FLUFF 1 tin evaporated milk 1 package lemon flavored gelatin 2 ½ cups (200g) corn flakes 60m1 lemon juice 100g sugar Method 1. Allow to cool Place sauce on plate and serve the pudding on top. lemon juice. BREAD PUDDING ½ loaf of bread (day old) 570m1 milk (diluted) 3 eggs (beaten) 100g mixed fruits/currants 1 tsp vanilla essence SAUCE Pinch ( ½ tsp ) ground ginger 120g margarine 1 50g sugar 1 egg 4 tbsp lemon juice 1 tsp nutmeg Method 1. Add the beaten 1 egg and whisk till thick. 3. beat gelatin until fluffy. Grease 8 baking cups (moi moi cups) and fill each with equal amount of the pudding mixture. Add lemon juice and sugar. Dissolve gelatin and chill till firm. 5. vanilla and lemon. 4. mixed fruits ginger and nutmeg. Sour sop juice (undiluted) may be used. Press the juice through a sieve into a bowl and reserve the juice. 3. Dissolve gelatin in 1 Y2 cups (360m1) hot water chill the gelatin until thick. Preserve 3 tbsp of chopped mango for topping and mash the remaining by masher or use blender. 2. Cut the bread into pieces and soak in the milk dissolved in half the (75g) sugar. 7. 2.
orange and mango ½ tsp nutmeg Method 1. mix flour. Bake in 350 of pre-heated oven for 45 minutes 6. Remove syrup from heat and cool. Arrange the filled cups in a around pan and add ½ inch level of water to the baking pans. Add vanilla. Grease generously two shallow round pans. Add the remaining ingredient and mix together. Melt margarine in a square or round cake pan 2. Mix salt. 6. Wash peel and chop pawpaw 4. Add the sugar. baking powder/soda. flour. Heat the cold water and sugar in a pan till the sugar dissolve 2. flour. nutmeg and baking powder Stir in the milk until smooth 3. egg and milk. diced ¼ watermelon diced A 100g sugar 1 can evaporated milk 2 slices pawpaw. Pour into a bowl and stir in the orange/pineapple and lemon juice 3. Pour the mixture into the greased pans and bake in pre-heated over for about 30 minutes or until set. Alternatively. 3. 5. Cream margarine and sugar till fluffy. Sieve all into a plastic bowl and place in the freezer for 1-2 hours until mixture is mushy or fairly set. Mash the pawpaw chunks to smooth paste Add to the orange juice and sugar mixture. 4. Make 6 servings.67 Method 1. FRUIT COCKTAIL DESSERT 125 grams margarine 130 grams flour 100 grams sugar 180ml diluted milk 100 grams each chopped 2 tsp baking powder Pineapple. When set remove from heat and place upside down in dessert bowls to serve. Spoon into well-greased custard queen cake cups ¾ fullness. sugar. In a bowl. Bake pudding over medium heat till it is set (about 20mmutes). Add flour ingredients to the creamed margarine mixture and blend well. 4. Sieve well Add the raisins. and all spices in a separate bowl. 5. 6. Blend in the milk gradually 2. Serve into dessert plates and top with ice cream or vanilla sauce. 4. FRUITED ICE MILK 1 firm mango. Makes 10 serving. PAW PAW ICE DESSERT 225 grams sugar 600 grams ripe pawpaw 250m1 orange/pineapple juice 1 large lemon juice 50m1 cold water Method 1. diced 100g raisins . 3. Remove from freezer and whisk the mixture return to the freezer and freeze till ice is semi-solid Scope into dessert bowls and serve cold. pudding may be streamed on top of the cooker. 5. 2. salt and baking powder together. Spoon the fruit chunks evenly over the batter. Pour into the pan with the melted margarine. COCONUT DELIGHT 100g sugar 70g sifted flour ¾ tsp baking powder 80g shredded coconut/cashew 250m1 diluted milk a pinch of salt ½ tsp vanilla 50g margarine (melted) Method 1.
Remove from freezer and whisk very well Add the sugar and whisk again 3. Serve in cocktail glasses. Cover the bowl and return to freezer and freeze till firm. Pour evaporated milk in a plastic bowl Place in the freezer till ice form around the side of the bowl 2. 4. Fold the fruits into the whisked milk in the bowl. .68 Method 1.
To remove cake from the pan. 5. Lift the pan off carefully and let the cake cool completely for at least one hour. electric mixer. 7. 2. The only special tools needed are as follows: 1. rolling boards and pins. Different shapes are available according to cake pan sharp. Rolling Pin: Wooden pan with non-absorbed surfaces for rolling out sugar paste and Fondant icings for decoration. 2. coffee. decorating bags. Success in cake icing depends on three major factors: 1. cake pans. It should have soft natural brittles that should leave no marks when brushing. electric mixer. ingredients.69 Chapter Eight CAKE ICING Cake icing is a method of using very smooth sugar mixtures to add finishes and decoration to baked cakes. For the decoration: Decorating syringes or tubes (plastic or metal). Always defrost the cake completely before icing. place the cooling rack over the top of the pan and urn both pan and cake over. Start by deciding on the type of cake desired. Set aside. The bottom may be lined with wax paper after greasing instead of flouring for easier removal of baked cake. 2. Smoothers: These are smooth surface plastics used for giving smooth finishes to the sides and tops of the cake coated with Fondant or sugar paste icing. . Place the cake in the pre-heated oven and bake according to temperature specified. Scrapers: These are serrated edge triangular metal or plastic tools used for giving patterned surface to the sides and tops of cakes usually coated with royal or butter cream icing. Cake Board: Necessary for placing the cake. For the icing: Icing sugar. Pre-heat the oven to temperature (gas mark 3) specified by recipe. spatulas or palette knife. (marble. wooden spoon. 3. Another important benefit of cake icing is that it serves as a means of developing ones creative skills and resourcefulness that brings about special feeling of satisfaction. remove cake from oven and let cool in the pan on a cake rack for 10 minutes. DECORATING EQUIPMENT AND TOOLS The appropriate tools make it possible to create pleasing and stunning decoration as your skills develop. It is available in plastic or foil scaled thick papers. sieve etc. Nozzles are available in different shapes and sizes. The main purpose of icing cakes is to enhance the beauty. cake boards. Pastry Cloth/Rolling Pin Cloth (2 pieces) Canvas Cloth or smooth polythene which promotes even rolling without sticking when working with sugar paste or fondant icing. carrot cake. richness. The right equipment 2. mixing bowls and spoon. 8. egg beater. 8. Icing also contributes to the taste of the baked product and prevents loss of moisture. decorating rule or comb. 3. The following are some specialized pieces of cake decorating equipment: 1. The cake may be iced in about one and half hours after baking or it may be frozen up for up to three months in heavily wrapped foil before icing. 5. The type of ingredients used and mixing technique. margarine. When baked. Palette Knife: Stainless steel flat knife without shape edges which are used for spreading icing on cake surfaces. Consider method of mixing. Complete mixing of cake ingredients and pour butter into the greased and floured cake pan. Piping Set: Plastic or metal piping tubes or bags with nozzles to fit used in making various decorative design on the coated cake. icing colour kits. Creaming gives better result. 6. 6. design rollers. wooden spoon. zigzag ruler/comb etc. aluminum foil wrap. plastic or metal turntable. Cream the cake and mix to recipe directions. marking rings and cutters (plastic or metal). 7. Place the cooled cake in a cake board for the icing. rich cake etc) and obtaining the ingredients specified by the recipe. Sprinkle about 1 tbsp flour on all the greased surfaces of the pan and shake off excess flour to prevent cake from sticking to the pan after baking. if frozen. scale and other measuring tools. Place cake on the middle rack of the oven about and leave for 35-45 minutes until cake is tested with a skewer for doneness. eggs. aesthetic value and quality of cakes. cooling racks. nozzles. 3. Pastry Brush: Used in brushing off loose crumbs from the caked cake before application of icing. Skill in application of creative knowledge in designing special decorations. Cake Baking Information 1. For cake baking: Cake recipe. Spread the batter evenly to the sides of the pan. 4. 3. 4.
Place margarine. Reserve the remaining sugar. Gradually add the remaining milk and beat till the mixture is smooth and fluffy in consistency. 2. allow coatings to get dried and use stiffer consistency for piping desired decoration on the cake. 7. Stainless Steel/Sifter: This should be well designed to provide fast and Efficient sifting. BUTTER CREAM ICING 1kg icing sugar (sifted) 2 tsp vanilla essence 75ml tbsp milk (diluted) colouring One 8 inch diameter baked cake Jam or sugar syrup 1 tbsp lemon juice 250g soft butter or margarine/solid shortening Method 1. Re-beat the icing mixture and spread generously over the cake surface. It Is usually expensive but use full for perfect finish. sifted icing sugar. 4. Stainless Steel Whisks: Long egg whisks with solid handles provide good control and makes whisking easy. Use a pastry brush to remove loose crumbs from the cake. Set aside for it to dry in order to prevent the cake crumbs from appearing when the second coating is applied. Measuring Tools: Items for measurement with easy-to-read measurements for both liquid and thy measurements. 5. Cutters: These are available in different shapes and sizes. Mix Bowls: Plastic. They are useful in making decoration and flowers using sugar paste fondant icings and mexican or petal paste. Place the cake on a cake board. Remove about 4 tbsp of the icing in another bowl and spread all over the cake surfaces as first coating over the cake. gradually stir in sifted 900g icing sugar arid egg white. 6. Cover and set aside for about 30 minutes. Separate egg white from the egg. jugs and scale. 5. Follow the icing tips presented in this book. For icing. Apply sugar syrup or jam all over the surfaces of the cake. 2. 11. The cake with sugar. Icing can be used for piping and more 2tsp milk can be added to stiff icing to thin the icing. 9.70 9. 13. Cream with wooden spoon or electric mixer. making sure none of the egg yolks get into the white and beat gently to stiffness. 12. SUGAR PASTE ICING 1kg icing sugar (sifted) 3 ½ tbsp liquid glucose (warmed) Colouring Jam or syrup 2-2 ½ medium egg white 2 tbsp glycerin corn flour . Use thin icing made by adding a little ½ tbsp egg white to 5 tbsp icing in a separate bowl and spread lightly all over the surface of the cake. 3. Add the glycerin and lemon juice. Icing can be stored in the refrigerator for 2-3 days or even 3 weeks in air tight container. Icing/Turntable: Metal or plastic cake stand that revolves ort urns particularly in icing or piping the sides of around cake with royal or buttercream icing. 7. Beat well with a mixer or wooden spoon. spoons. These include cups. using palette knife or spatulas. glass or stainless steel bowls that are easy to hold and is provide good support. vanilla and half of the milk in a mixing bowl. Add more sugar to make icing stiff if necessary. 10. Brush off cake crumbs and position the cake properly on the cake board. Egg Separator: Plastic or aluminum tool which is efficient in quick separation the white and yolk portions of eggs in preparation of royal and sugar paste icing. 15. 4. 6. Spread the icing as second coating on the cake by following the steps for icing described in this chapter. In a mixing bowl. Continue beating till the mixture is stiff but is of spreading consistency. SUGGESTED ICING RECIPES ROYAL ICING 1kg (2 packs) icing sugar 1 ½ tbsp glycerin 2-3 drops of lemon juice 2 ½ (egg whites) few drops of colouring one 8 inch diameter baked cake Jam or sugar syrup Method 1. Add remaining sugar to make icing stiff if necessary. 8. syrup/jam for cake icing to stick well to the cake. 14. Sift the icing sugar. 3.
4. Coat cake surfaces with j am or syrup. ROLLED FONDANT ICING 1kg sifted icing sugar ½ sachet gelatin 30m1 cold water (2 tbsp) 60g liquid glucose (4 tbsp) I egg white 2tsp gum tragacanth 1 ½ tbsp shortening 200g cornstarch (for rolling) drop of food colouring as desired jam or sugar syrup. MEXICAN (PETAL) PASTE 1 kg king sugar (sifted) 1 ½ tsp gum tragacanth 4 tbsp liquid glucose 2 eggs whites! 8Oml water Cornstarch for rolling Method 1. Roll out the fondant in enough portions. Keep fondant covered with a damp cloth to prevent a hard surface from forming. a little at a time until the icing sugar are added. Leave paste in air tight container of room temperature for about & 12 hours before using. 5. Gently. 3. glycerin and cold water in saucepan and stir well until thick. use a textured rolling pin to roll over the coated cake to give the design on the pin. For decorative rolling. 3. Use cutters to make plaits. Attaching ornaments and sugar beads if desired. use same method of preparation to apply petal taste icing using these ingredients. knead the sugar mixture or fondant. Let mixture stand and cool to lukewarm. using a wooden spoon until mixture is fully mixed up. bring out from freezer.71 Method 1. Pour the lukewarm gelatin mixture and gum into well of icing sugar and stir well with a wooden spoon. Stir in the shortening and while shortening is not completed melting. flower or other designs such as board twists. . 2. 7. 10. 12. Place the mixture over low heat and heat until dissolved. remove the mixture from heat and add drops of flavour or colouring if desired. Gather the sugar and gelatin mixture into a firm ball. lift the flat icing sheet with spatulas and cover the syrup or jam coated cake. Decorate with piping softer icing or cut out flowers and designs. 2. Smooth and shape the fondant on the cake. add more icing sugar. Mix in more sugar. Press and smoothen icing against all surfaces of the cake with palette knife or smoother. 8. Place the ball of icing on the floured board smooth of surface and knead continually mixture is soft and pliable. 8. using a rolling pin on a clean board. Gently lift the fondant over the rolling pin and place over the jam coated cake. Add the sugar and blend them very well. add the liquid glucose and water. Combine gelatin. 3. 6. Method 1. allow it to defrost and knead again until soft and pliable. As you roll. pliable and no longer sticks to the hands. Sprinkle extra sugar or corn flour on a rolling board and gather the mixture into a ball. Roll out the icing on a sugar or corn flour dusted board as a flat sheet. Trim excess from the base. Knead well. then place the paste in a plastic bag. Dusting corn starch powder or icing sugar on a flat surface. 4. Now place half of the sifted icing sugar in a bowl and make a well. Continue to knead until the ‘fondant is smooth. using cake smoother. If fondant is too stiff. lift the fondant and dust more corn starch powder to the fondant to prevent it ‘from sticking to board surface. 7. 11. . and water (a drop at a time) and if it is too soft. leaves. 2. Mix icing sugar and gum together. Always use fondant icing immediately or store in airtight containers in the refrigerator/freeze for several days before using. 6. into a circle or square that fit the size of the diameter of the cake and double the height of the cake at once. liquid glucose. Attentively. 9. use a pastry cloth to roll out icing for smooth finish. 5. Beat the egg white and glycerin in a bowl till frothy. When ready to use. Add the beaten egg white. Note: Alternatively.
Positioning of the bag/syringe to pipe: there are two basic ways of positioning the decoration tube-the 90 angle and the 45 angle. Boarders of cake need medium of consistency for ease in squeezing out the icing. Start by leveling the surface to ensure that the top is even and not peaked. flowers and shell designs require stiff icing consistency. Use a mixer to combine the ingredients. 4. when planning for the cake. Use toothpick to add paste colour while liquid colouring in added is drops. Be sure not add much paste or liquid colour but always ensure to mix the colour thoroughly in the icing before adding more. A turntable or a turning cake stand makes it easier particularly for round cakes. After trimming off invert the cake on a board and use a pastry brush to remove all the loose crumbs. Consistency: This is a very important aspect in determining the shape of the piping that should look right and attractive. It involves the use of piping set (decorating bag or syringe). chilling the cake first is recommended. Always use enough of any colour because it is difficult to obtain the same icing colour later. hold the tube or bag with nozzle pointing down and held perpendicular to the cake surface. 2. For royal icing and butter cam icing. Allow first coat to dry (about 30 minutes or more). 3. a few drops of blue colour or lemon juice can be used to whiten the icing. sugar paste etc. The basics of piping on iced cake include the following: 1. Start icing from the top of the cake by: (a) Placing a large amount of icing on the centre of the top (for royal and butter cream icing). Use clean and dry equipment. Chilling the cake before it is iced also makes icing easier. (c) Pushing the excesses to the sides. guide the decorating tip with the other hand. For fondant icing. . 2. pushing the icing towards the opening or nozzle. 1. follow these guidelines. Filling the decorating bag/syringe or tube: Use a palette knife/spoon to fill the bag or tube from the pushing end after coupling the desired decorating tip/nozzle. Making ones special design promotes creativity and originality. ensuring that the palette knife does not get too close to the cake so that the icing does not catch the crumbs.72 GENERAL RULES FOR ICING 1. stars. Before making decorations. Give a smooth finish. hold the decorating bag or tube at a slanting angle to the surface but not touching the cake. In the 900 angle. 5. Flavouring may be added to the icing if necessary 10. Choose desired or appropriate type of icing. Fill the bag or tube half full of icing. Coat the surfaces of the cake with apricot jam or sugar syrup. When mixing. spread thin icing first on all the surfaces of the syrup-coated cake with a palette knife. To achieve good decoration. Cakes baked the previous day are more easily decorated. Piping is very popular way of decorating. check the recipe for rolled fondant icing. (d) Ice evenly all over the top and all the sides till all surfaces are iced. Using a bread knife. DECORATION TECHNIQUES Decorations are essential in making the cake attractive and unique. Sieve the icing sugar before use for smoothness. 3. (b) Spread across the whole top surface. 4. 5. Use good quality ingredients and avoid icing sugar that is already caked or solidified. Away practice the decoration on another surface before applying directly to icing coated cake. 3. Apply a little pressure to the palette knife and smoothen the top last. CAKE ICING PROCEDURE Icing is best on a cake when the cake has smooth texture and level surfaces. it is important to have an idea of the cake design and the details you desire. 6. Colour is what gives icing beauty and personality so that the cake boarders. This can be done after the cake is completely cool. 8. 7. 2. Ensure that all necessary tools and equipment arc well assembled in order of use before icing is applie4i 11. You can use any cake design book or make your own sketches of the type if arrangement that is needed. In the 45° position. 9. leaves. To make this easier. Always use small amount of colour since food colours intensify and get sharper when mixed and with time. As a basic rule. With one hand. Freshly baked cakes tend to crumble and flake off their crumbs. trim off the crown or raised portions of the cake. flowers and stars stand out in the cake. Decide on type of decoration to be done on the cake as well. apply pressure with the other hand that follows next.
Follow these guidelines in making cut-out patterns decoration. cut many shapes and place them on a floured surface for them to dry. c. Zigzag: To make zigzag. As the decorating tube is filled with icing and held in position (900 or 45°angle) on the cake surface: a. For a row of shells. Ornaments. 5. 3. Apply a little pressure to press out the icing and pull the tip away and the star is formed. Pull tip way. shells. lines. Shell: To make shell. Star nozzle with star-shaped opening is used for making stars. DECORATION NOZZLE TYPES There are many popular tips or nozzle of various sizes used for a variety of decorating techniques. Shell nozzle has serrated curved opening which is used for making shells. You may first form the letter/words using toothpick or cut-out to mark the positions of the letters or word on the cake surface. start another shell on the tail of the previous one. Writing: To print or write words. letter and numbers. This nozzle is used for writing messages. flowers like small rose and basket weave. . attach the cut outs to their position on the cake. zigzag and rosettes or drop flowers.73 4. The most common types are as follows: 1. using butter cream icing. With the other hand. rope boarders and puffs. Relax and stop the pressure. hold the star nozzle at45° angle with tip of nozzle slightly touching the iced cake surface. Use this nozzle to print horizontal lines. Softer fondant or butter cream icing is used to attach the flower or other designs to the iced cake. 2. They are identified according to the shape of the openings on the nozzles or sizes in an icing set. 5. making dots. Stars: In order to make stars. Control and stop applying pressure when the decoration is created. pulling tip away to form the shell’s tail. Apply pressure to squeeze the icing as the hand is moved in a side to side motion which forms the zigzags. Ribbon/Rose nozzle has a tear shaped opening and is used to make ribbons. beads and outline of shapes. beads and balls. lift the tip of the nozzle slightly to let icing build up the fan into a full base. Making Decoration with Cutters To make decorations with rolled fondant or sugar paste icing. and heavy pressure. 4. 2. 3. Ropes can be made by hand twisting long strips of hand rolled icing of two or three different colours. Apply pressure and control in piping: The type and size of decoration that is piped depends on the size of opening in the decoration nozzle and the amount of pressure applied. stars or other shapes. Leaf: To make a leaf. 5. 4. Check diagram in the book on directions. Using cutters for roses. Press out the icing with enough pressure to build the bead of ball as for stars. Dots/balls: To make dots. Twist the end of the bag closed. 2. the larger he decoration. Prepare rolled fondant icing and roll out on the flat surface. ribbons and live lowers may also be added as decoration. use special metal or plastic cutters. When dry. vertical lines and vary lines by moving the nozzle in straight lines. hold the tube with one hand at 45° angle (slanting) with nozzle above cake surface. To make the above mentioned techniques follows these tips: 1. To do this hold the decorating tube at 45° angle and push out icing and the letters are formed. use the plain round nozzle used for dots to write. Push in the handle of the tube in order to squeeze out the icing through the nozzles on the cake surface. hold the tube of 900 angle with the surface of the cake. or b. use the leaf nozzle and hold the tube a t 4 5 ° angle and follow the same procedure as for making shells. the bigger the opening. bows. The shapes are usually cut out and left to dry before being pasted on the iced cake. Round nozzle has plain round opening and comes in various sizes. hold the plain round tip at 900 angle with the tip slightly touching the surface of the iced caked. 3. 4. Leaf nozzle had side slits and a deep v-opening which is used for making plain and ruffled leaf. stems of flowers. Butter cream or royal icing can be also be used in combination with rolled fondant in decorating the cake. 6. Such twists can be used as boarders. 1. You may also write straight unto he cake surface.
Culpitt. (1981) Basic Cookery. (1985) The Students Cookery Book. Tiger Books International.T.England The Broadwater Press Ltd. . (1990) Practical Cookery.merehurst. England. Octopus Books (1976) A-z of Cooking London Evans Brothers Ltd.A Beginner’s Guide. Warn..The Process Approach. Oxford. Ilodder and Stonghton Education Ltd. G. Wisconsin.S. E. Kemt. Stephenson. Wiltonn Enterprises. V.A. Oxford University Press.0 (2002) Food Preparation and Service.com Ochonogor. Patricia (1984) Family Cookbook. Stanley Thomas Publishing Ltd. E. and Kinton R. Merehurst (2000) Beginners Guide to Cake Decorating: www.COEWA Publishers. Ideals Publishing Corporation. Mc Cormick &conpany (1991) Mc Cormick Cook Book. Ferguson. Hong Kong: Ohenheimer Publishers. .Wright. O’ Reilly. Henson. Wilton Enterprises (1987) Cake Decorating. (1990) Creative Cake Decorating Made Easy Heart Fortishire. J.74 REFERENCES Ceserain. (1 994) The Complete Cook London. Illinois-U.
This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?